Poll: Would you buy Class Skins DLC?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Lightbulb [DLC] - Class skins

I think that everyone(or at least a big part of the whole community) would like to see class skins, such as Green Fire quest for the warlocks.

There are plenty of options:
    -Dark Ranger for Hunters,
    -Necromancer for DK/Demo Lock(?),
    -Shadow Hunter for Shamans,
    -Blade Master for Warriors,
    -Blood Mages for Mages,
    -and plenty more

The games has changed. So I guess it'd be actually understandable to expect DLC from WoW in the future, especially that it was bought by Microsoft. It wouldn't hurt the gameplay, because it's just cosmetics.

So... Would you buy DLC Class skins? Why? Why not?

I think all the talk about new classes or class skins really just suggests that we are desperate for something new and something different. More customization options. But I'll be damned if I'm gunna pay more than the 50$ expac cost as well as the ridiculously high sub fee just to get that.

They shouldn't be a 'purchase' thing, they should be a quest / unlockable thing in the game.
    Twas brillig

7+ Year Old Account
    Sure if it's something i want, why not.

Class Skins are such a lazy concept. Glyphs... the word you are looking for is Glyphs. You are changing the way spells look and maybe even the flavor text... that is all... that is a Glyph not a new class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

I don't know why, but the acronym DLC REEKS of console to me. I dunno, I'd rather actually have new classes as opposed to "class skins". Making classes into skins kills the chance of actually getting those classes. I do like the idea of 1 spec classes if Blizzard feels that lazy, could always add more specs later. My problem is a lot of stuff people suggest just doesn't fit Warcraft, you got a lot of kids who started playing WoW because it was popular and don't care about the setting the way someone who grew up playing the RTS games does. And a lot of these people think it's okay to just invade an IP and demand goofy changes that break lore. I hate anyone who says a paladin should have fel abilities. Things we've been told are diametrically opposed forces combining on a character just so someone who isn't loyal to the franchise and doesn't respect the story can feel oh so pretty with their cosmetics when they'd probably dump the game for the next hot thing, nah I don't want those people getting what they want.

Don't get me wrong, done the right way, and not purchasable but maybe UNLOCKABLE through gameplay (they need a lot more of that) could be interesting, but as paid DLC? No, we pay for that with the sub...

Well I did buy a race change when they introduced Dark Irons late in BFA, despite thinking I would never spend money on skins in videogames.

So, who knows? If I REALLY liked the skin? I might, but it would have to be a really cool Monk skin, as I would not buy a customisation on my alt characters.
    But I am sure there's plenty of people who would.
    And also plenty of people who would cry their eyes out if they made these purely cosmetic things buyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodreh View Post
    Class Skins are such a lazy concept. Glyphs... the word you are looking for is Glyphs. You are changing the way spells look and maybe even the flavor text... that is all... that is a Glyph not a new class.
    The only thing lazy here is your criticism. A class skin is a comprehensive, coordinated change to your entire kit. A glyph only affects a single ability.

Regarding the OP, calling this "DLC" is misleading. What you mean is having them on the store. They're downloaded either way. The entire game is DLC at this point. The term has become largely meaningless now that most games are distributed digitally.

That's literally just what class skin means. It's a cosmetic thing. Nothing about that suggests that it's a new class.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbayne View Post
    I don't know why, but the acronym DLC REEKS of console to me.
    Probably because it's largely meaningless on PC, where digital distribution has become the norm and so everything is DownLoadable Content, rendering the term meaningless in effect.

I would like to see more stuff like this available in-game, but in general, I don't have the raging hate boner for store cosmetics that others do, so if these sort of class skin cosmetics actually did end up on the store, I probably wouldn't be shitting my pants in protest over it. If they looked good enough and I feel comfortable enough at the time to drop a bit of money on the game like that, I would.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    The only thing lazy here is your criticism. A class skin is a comprehensive, coordinated change to your entire kit. A glyph only affects a single ability...
    It's not a rotational change... it's not a new ability... it is several Glyphs in a bundle if that makes you happier. But it doesn't change the fact that it's still lazy design. A class should be something to get excited about. A class is about different optimizations and using different abilities in tandem. Changing that to just be cosmetic differences is insulting to those who actually want a new class... something new to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Briselody View Post
    That's literally just what class skin means. It's a cosmetic thing. Nothing about that suggests that it's a new class.
    Apologies but it's in the name "Class Skin"... it gives the illusion of something new when all it really does is give window dressing. Call it a Glyph or series of Glyphs because that's all it is.

Apologies but it's in the name "Class Skin"... it gives the illusion of something new when all it really does is give window dressing. Call it a Glyph or series of Glyphs because that's all it is.
    I think pretty much everyone even tangentially involved with video games knows that a "skin" is just a cosmetic at this point.

There is no illusion for anyone else, this is a you problem.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.

So i have to pay the xpac, the sub and have to pay extra for class skins? If they bring something like this they will cost at least 25$.

Wouldnt buy it at all. maybe if there is some class i really love and the game gets me in a weak moment, but 99% sure i wont buy this.

In principal I'm against buying stuff in a game that already charges me monthly for the privilege of playing when when more demanding games have figured out how to do servers for free. I'm okay with buying some optional stuff when it's only tangentially related to the game, that includes gameplay, story, lore, etc. Buying a single mount is okay to a certain degree, if the mount is not a reference to something major, like the ashes of alar being pretty much the heraldic animal of the bloodelves. Similariyl, buying something like the helm of domination would be out of question for me. I'm somewhat okay with buying chinese zodiac crap.

Buying something like class skins is too far for me, even if t was just blue fire. It's something that feels like it should be an unlockable reward. Something that would barr the existence of whole possible classes, like a moonpriest or a necromancer skin I would be absolutely against.

If Blizzard drops the sub we can talk about and goes F2P we can talk about it. Until then they can fuck off.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2022-04-15 at 04:07 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Janitor View Post
    In principal I'm against buying stuff in a game that already charges me monthly for the privilege of playing when when more demanding games have figured out how to do servers for free. I'm okay with buying some optional stuff when it's only tangentially related to the game, that includes gameplay, story, lore, etc. Buying a single mount is okay to a certain degree, if the mount is not a reference to something major, like the ashes of alar being pretty much the heraldic animal of the bloodelves. Similariyl, buying something like the helm of domination would be out of question for me. I'm somewhat okay with buying chinese zodiac crap.

Buying something like class skins is too far for me, even if t was just blue fire. It's something that feels like it should be an unlockable reward. Something that would barr the existence of whole possible classes, like a moonpriest or a necromancer skin I would be absolutely against.

If Blizzard drops the sub we can talk about and goes F2P we can talk about it. Until then they can fuck off.
    Lol... you think the server costs are why there is a sub fee.

Its called development costs. You are getting like 4 games right now for 15$ a month. And they aren't going to decrease the fee, just be glad they haven't increased it. Its ~30% cheaper than it would have been 15 years ago.
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    The games has changed. So I guess it'd be actually understandable to expect DLC from WoW in the future, especially that it was bought by Microsoft. It wouldn't hurt the gameplay, because it's just cosmetics.
    That's simply wrong. For many many people, if not the majority of WoW players, getting cosmetics is the true and lasting endgame of this game. It has been this way since Vanilla.

Competitive players only make up a small % of WoW's overall playerbase and it's only them who it doesn't "hurt".

Quote Originally Posted by Briselody View Post
    I think pretty much everyone even tangentially involved with video games knows that a "skin" is just a cosmetic at this point...
    If it was just a ‘skin’ I would agree… however, I can already see the marketing pitch: Play Necromancer now! (or Dark Ranger or whatever). That is not what people (who want a new class) want.
    Last edited by Lodreh; 2022-04-15 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Clarity

I will never spend extra money in a b2p AND p2p game.

They were going to do class accessories (tomes for mages, quivers for hunters, etc.) but that got dropped during WoD
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"