Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Alex Jones demands an investigation into himself.

Wait, what?

A company partially owned by Alex Jones is asking a judge to allow a court-appointed trustee to review the bankrupt Infowars parent’s finances, a request that could delay Sandy Hook victim families’ attempt to remove him from the Chapter 11 proceeding.

PQPR Holdings Ltd., which is owned by the right-wing conspiracist and his parents, on Wednesday said it would pay up to $100,000 for an examination of bankrupt Free Speech Systems LLC’s finances by the bankruptcy trustee working on the case.

Free Speech, a Jones-controlled company which operates his website Infowars, declared bankruptcy in July after a state court ordered him to pay judgments for his lies that the 2012 school massacre was a hoax. Last month, a jury awarded two parents nearly $50 million in damages.

PQPR’s motion comes after families of Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victims last week asked a Texas bankruptcy court to remove Jones and his bankrupt company from running its operations and Chapter 11 proceedings.

“Having a comprehensive and impartial examination of the Debtor’s finances is a preferable alternative to protracted and perhaps unfounded, but certainly unnecessary, litigation,” PQPR said.

The victim families’ attempt to remove Jones is an “irredeemably flawed,” PQPR said in its filing.
    Guys, this is bullshit beyond which even I'm not comfortable saying is Team Trump standard. I get he's stalling, but everyone knows Alex Jones is hiding money fraudulently. Asking a court to appoint an investigator will just prove that to be the case. This makes no sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Alex Jones demands an investigation into himself.

Wait, what?

Guys, this is bullshit beyond which even I'm not comfortable saying is Team Trump standard. I get he's stalling, but everyone knows Alex Jones is hiding money fraudulently. Asking a court to appoint an investigator will just prove that to be the case. This makes no sense.
    Pray Jesus snorted the chemtrails and will save you?
    Realistically he's stalling. Drag it out as long as possible.
    If your life can be measured in hours, you'd fight for a few extra minutes wouldn't you?
    That's the level of desperation we're seeing here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Well, want to see what an insane man looks like? I think Alex Jones has finally snapped due to the fact that he cannot weasel his way out of any of this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/al...2401f759715684

Alex Jones Has Meltdown in First Interview Since Sandy Hook Lawsuit Verdict

InfoWars host Alex Jones erupted in frustration after being asked about Sandy Hook in an interview.

In early August, the conspiracy theorist was ordered to $45.2 million in punitive damages to Sandy Hook parents Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis at the conclusion of an Austin, Texas, defamation trial.

The jury awarded $4.1 million in compensatory damages. Jones also owes an additional $1.5 million in fines.

n total this has left Jones owing more than $50 million for falsely claiming that the nation's deadliest elementary school shooting was staged by "crisis actors."

Jones recently sat down for his first interview since the ruling with journalist and Youtuber Andrew Callaghan.

Callaghan, who produces content on his YouTube page Channel 5, released a trailer for his interview with Jones on September 3. The video so far has 250,000 views.

In the brief two-and-a-half-minute clip, Callaghan begins by asking whether Jones feels responsible for what happened to the Sandy Hook families.

"Yes, I killed the children," Jones replied, appearing to be sarcastic.

"I went in that school, I pulled a gun out and I shot every one of them myself. I am guilty it is true."

Callaghan attempted to interrupt Jones multiple times but the InfoWars host continued to claim that he was responsible for killing the victims.

"Do I feel responsible that someone, played a sh*t ton of video games, was on a bunch of drugs, went in and killed a bunch of kids and then the internet questioned it and I covered that? No I don't feel responsible.

"I don't apologize anymore, I'm done. I don't apologize. I killed the kids."

He continued: "No, I killed them, I killed them... I have already admitted it, I killed them."

Jones then began to say American amendments should be gotten rid of and sarcastically added other public figures who "killed the kids."

"The First Amendment killed them, get rid of the Second Amendment, get rid of the First Amendment, they are bad, they killed the kids too," he said.

"George Washington killed them, Jesus killed them, we should rename the entire planet Sandy Hook, everything, there should be holidays.

"We should bow five times a day to New Haven, Connecticut for the kids that died.

"Every American's to blame, every gun owner's to blame, I am to blame. We are all guilty."

Eventually as Jones said he was done talking about it to which Callaghan asked if the pair could speak more specifically about the trial.

Jones reiterated that there was nothing to talk about and appeared to get up early and leave the chat, saying: "I don't know if I can do this interview right now.

The video footage then turned to black but audio can be heard allegedly between Jones and an InfoWars employee.

The employee insists that Jones "should not keep doing that", to which he replied he murdered those children.

The apparent Infowars employee said he understood the point Jones was attempting to make but said what he was doing was not funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Well, want to see what an insane man looks like? I think Alex Jones has finally snapped due to the fact that he cannot weasel his way out of any of this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/al...2401f759715684
    That shit will be GOLD on the next court date for further trials.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    I don't know if I can do this interview right now."
    Dear idiots: NEVER SAY THIS halfway through. It nearly guarantees the half you did, plus your hasty exist, will be published and show you in a negative light.

I agree with...sigh... @Poopymonster ...that this interview can and must be shown in the remaining damage court proceedings. There are only three ways this interview could be reasonably interpreted:

1) He's not sorry, his act in court was a lie.

2) He is sorry, but needs to pretend not to be to make money, which hoo boy that's when the damages really spike.

3) He's just completely insane.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/jgpj...-damages-trial

He failed to provide the Google Analytics data to the prosecution, so the judge sanctioned him.

His lawyer, who is a fucking moron, was asking an FBI agent, for some reason, about Hillary Clinton, the judge removed the jury from the room, and yelled at the shitty lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    https://www.vice.com/en/article/jgpj...-damages-trial

He failed to provide the Google Analytics data to the prosecution, so the judge sanctioned him.

His lawyer, who is a fucking moron, was asking an FBI agent, for some reason, about Hillary Clinton, the judge removed the jury from the room, and yelled at the shitty lawyer.
    It's almost like none of them are taking all this very seriously. Props to the judges in these absolute clown shows for maintaining any level of composure.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's almost like none of them are taking all this very seriously. Props to the judges in these absolute clown shows for maintaining any level of composure.
    I hope they give max damages for this one. Because just like the last one, he will probably lose.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, how's the trial going?

Here are some takeaways from the first day of trial:

Judge Barbara N. Bellis wrangled with Mr. Jones’s defense team, continuing a dynamic that has persisted for years during this case. Before the jury entered the courtroom Tuesday morning, Judge Bellis castigated the lawyers for what she called a “stunningly cavalier attitude” toward discovery, referring to a Google Analytics spreadsheet that described years of website traffic to Infowars, which lawyers for the families said Tuesday had only been shared last Friday. And throughout the day’s proceedings, Judge Bellis reprimanded Norm Pattis, one of Jones’s lawyers, for repeatedly raising political issues and hypotheticals in his questioning of the plaintiffs’ witnesses.

The Infowars business model is a central theme in the trial so far. In his opening statement, Chris Mattei, a lawyer for the families, laid out how Mr. Jones’s media empire broadcast conspiracy theories “to elicit fear and anxiety and paranoia and anger” in his audience — and simultaneously made millions peddling supplements and other merchandise. “You know the difference between right and wrong,” he told the jury. “You know the importance of standing up to bullies when they prey on people who are helpless and who profit from them.”

In his opening statement, Mr. Pattis accused the plaintiffs of turning a trial over damages into a crusade to “stop Alex Jones.”
    Ah yes, the "if you are seeking consequences for my deplorable actions, that's a partisan WITCH HUNT!" defense.

Mr. Pattis said the parents “turned their grief and rage” to a campaign for gun control and school safety, and overstated the harm Mr. Jones did. “Don’t fall for the political narrative here,” he said to the jury.

The trial’s first witness was William Aldenberg, an F.B.I. agent who responded to the Sandy Hook shooting and who is suing Jones along with eight families. He was targeted by conspiracy theorists who claimed that he and one of the parents were the same person, played by a “crisis actor.” Aldenberg choked back tears on the witness stand as he described what he saw in the school that day, as well as the harassment he and victims’ families endured.

Both Mr. Aldenberg and the second witness, Carlee Soto Parisi — the sister of a first-grade teacher murdered at Sandy Hook — showed the jury the day-to-day toll that the flood of conspiracy theories had on them, and how they felt helpless to stop it. Mr. Aldenberg described getting harassing phone calls and emails, and how he came to understand “the power and enormity of this Infowars, Alex Jones thing.” Ms. Parisi described a campaign of online torment, in which people called her a liar and a fraud, picked apart her appearance as proof of the hoax Mr. Jones promoted, and posted her personal information.

Alex Jones himself was not present in court on Tuesday. Instead, on his eponymous show, he dismissed the legal proceedings as “show trials” and peddled products that he said would keep Infowars afloat. But he is expected to testify at the trial.
    Hey, remember a few paragraphs back when Jones' legal team dissed the plaintiffs for making it political? Yeah, funny how it's okay for Jones to do that.

In a related story, mocking the judge like that is probably the second worst way to start this trial. First was the offense itself, especially with an FBI agent who was on the scene was told he wasn't on the scene.

- - - Updated - - -

Things do not look good for "our friend" Alex Jones. When your lawyer admits you lied, you're fucked.

So it's another damages only trial, speaking of which:

Jones is expected to testify eventually but hasn't attended the trial so far. On his Infowars web show Wednesday, he called the proceeding a “show trial where I’ve already been found guilty.”
    Wait, why was Jones "found guilty"? I mean, it's a lawsuit, he wasn't found guilty. But beyond that, he was found liable because he refused to turn over the required information. He defaulted. Complaining you died in the raid seems disingenuous when you stood in the fire.

“It’s just X-level insane,” added Jones, who has cast the case as part of a dark campaign against him, his audience and Americans’ free speech rights. He told his audience Tuesday that “we can beat this” but it would require “massive money” to keep fighting cases in Connecticut and Texas, where a jury ordered him last month to pay nearly $50 million to the parents of one of the slain children.
    No, you can't beat this. You forfeit. The game is over, you lost. On purpose.

Anyhow we're at another damages discussion, and yes, Jones' lawyers were asked if Jones made shit up.

“I don’t think that we disagree that there were false statements made,” Brittany Paz testified at a civil trial involving Jones' claims that the nation’s deadliest school shooting was a hoax concocted as a pretext to tighten gun regulations.

Asked whether an Infowars headline that suggested the massacre was a “false flag” operation was itself untrue, Paz said she didn't disagree it was false.
    Jones legal team, thankful that at least they're not working for Trump, have put forward a request for minimal damages, claiming the suffering wasn't that bad and the victims were even fundraising off--

"Isn't that literally what Alex Jones did on his show today? Like, that bit you quoted?"

Yes.

"Do they not understand that Jones' public statements are evidence?"

I think the lawyers are at the point where they don't care. They're defending a person who, metaphorically, pled guilty then claimed he was set up. They're doing their job to their ethical requirement to the letter. What Jones does behind their backs, against their advice, needs to be Jones' problem not theirs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Infowars lawyer, manager barred from bankruptcy case over conflicts
    U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Christopher Lopez in Houston found that Marc Schwartz, chief restructuring officer of Infowars parent Free Speech Systems LLC, and attorney Kyung Lee failed to disclose that they sought work from Free Speech Systems before the conclusion of earlier Infowars bankruptcies.
    Lopez said that an independent trustee, instead of Schwartz, should investigate potential claims against Alex Jones and his companies.

Lopez acknowledged that his decision would cause disruption, but he said he could not trust Schwartz or Lee to impartially represent FSS if a conflict arose with Alex Jones or one of his other companies.

Judge orders new bankruptcy officers in Alex Jones case
    Judge Christopher Lopez fired Jones’ attorney and chief restructuring officer in the bankruptcy of InfoWars’ parent company Free Speech Systems, and expanded the duties of a Justice Department-appointed trustee already overseeing the case. The judge authorized the trustee to seek additional legal and other assistance, specifying that any new employees “should not have any connection with any of these matters,” he said, adding that “internal links” should be investigated, citing need.
    Lawyers and restructuring officers were simultaneously attempting to reorganize the company as part of the bankruptcy. In dismissing them, the judge cited not a fault in their work, but a “lack of clarity” on the part of the company, whose moves are determined by Mr Jones.

Mr Jones drove Free Speech Systems into bankruptcy in late July, saying he owed $54 million to PQPR, an entity directly and indirectly owned and operated by Mr Jones and his parents. He filed bankruptcy partially in response to an ongoing lawsuit against him by family members of 10 Sandy Hook victims, who say bankruptcy cases are a gamble to stop what promises to be huge financial damages.
    To cut through the polite legalese, the judge is taking management of Mr. Jone's holding company completely away from him and his agents and putting it in the hands of a court-appointed trustee, because Jones and his allies kept lying to the court about shady shenanigans. Bankruptcy is not turning out to be the free "get out of paying court-ordered damages" card he seemed to think it would be.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    It's like Republicans don't realize judges watch the news.

Alex Jones brands defamation trial judge a 'tyrant' trying to railroad him into admitting he is 'guilty' outside court as he arrives to face families of Sandy Hook victims at his second defamation trial

"Wait, didn't Jones admit he was guilty?"

Kind of. He was required to turn over documents and just chose not to do it. It doesn't work like the Fifth. That's why these are damages trials.

"Hasn't he now said both that Sandy Hook wasn't a hoax and that he was sorry for the damage he did?"

Yes, to try to lower damages in the first case. It failed. That's probably why he's not doing it again.

'I was not wrong about Sandy Hook on purpose,' Jones said. 'I questioned it. Just like Jesse Smollett. Just like WMDs in Iraq. Just like the Gulf of Tonkin. There are a lot of staged events in history, just like WMDs in Iraq and I questioned every major event.'
    "Did he actually ask if it was fake, or just say it was?"

The latter. He's lying.

"Isn't pissing off the judge by failing to show remorse a good way to increase punative damages?"

Yes.

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/22/11245...ook-hoax-trial

"I've said things I probably shouldn't have said," he added. "I didn't realize the power I had. And I've seen the families, I've met some of the families. I think they're real people. But it's the media and the lawyers that keep bringing it up and misrepresenting what I said and what I did."
    A rare admission of fault by Jones...immediately followed up by trying to pass the blame off on the media because he's actually the real victim here.

10+ Year Old Account
    trying to pass the blame off on the media
    He knows he is the media, right?

- - - Updated - - -

A rare admission of fault by Jones.
    A few moments later:

Alex Jones: ‘I’m done saying I’m sorry’ over false Sandy Hook hoax claims

Is this a struggle session? Are we in China? I’ve already said I’m sorry hundreds of times and I’m done saying I’m sorry.

Just like all the Iraqis you liberals killed and love. Just, you’re unbelievable. You switch on emotions, on-and-off when you want. You’re just ambulance chasing.
    "Man, he's saying some ugly stuff on his podcast."

No no...he said that in court.

"What?"

Far-right conspiracy theorist Alex Jones on Thursday told a jury he’s “done” apologizing for pushing the conspiracy theory that the 2012 mass shooting that killed 20 children and six teachers at Connecticut’s Sandy Hook Elementary School was a hoax.
    Several times, I've suggested the worst thing you can do when you're objectively guilty is piss off the judge. But if there was a second, it'd be "piss off the jury who assigns damages".

10+ Year Old Account
    He knows he is the media, right?

- - - Updated - - -

A few moments later:

Alex Jones: ‘I’m done saying I’m sorry’ over false Sandy Hook hoax claims

"Man, he's saying some ugly stuff on his podcast."

No no...he said that in court.

"What?"

Several times, I've suggested the worst thing you can do when you're objectively guilty is piss off the judge. But if there was a second, it'd be "piss off the jury who assigns damages".
    What's pissing me off is the kid gloves he's being handled with. If a black teenager whispered "fuck you" under their breath in open court, he'd be slapped with contempt and locked up so fast his sneakers would still be spinning on the courtroom floor. Jones can mouth off on a public media broadcast and cast wide aspersions about the judge, the courts, the system, everything, and fucking nada.

He should be sitting in a cell for contempt at this point until he issues a full public retraction for all this shit, apologies for his abuses of the court's patience, and all that has to be heartfelt and meaningful, not just tossed off. And if he retracts that retraction or repeats any of the bullshit once he IS released, back to a cell and he's getting out when the judge feels he's actually sorry.

He's not, because he's a rich white dude, and that's about it. Kid gloves and extra privilege, because the system is so deeply fuckin' corrupt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, I wonder how the trial is going?

(checks NYTimes rolling tracker)

Oh...ouch, witnesses are testifying about the abuse they endured from Jones' listeners. So...not great for Jones, then.

One, on Thursday, Jones apparently tried talking to the jury by yelling at people outside the courthouse. One, he asked them to do their own research before deciding damages. Um, yeah, that's not how juries work. In fact, juries are prohibited from introducing evidence or testifying -- and it can lead to a mistrial if a juror conceals that they have prior knowledge or information that sways the other eleven. It's pretty clear on the subject in this dot-gov manual.

Jurors are expected to use all the
    experience, common sense, and common
    knowledge they possess. But they are not to
    rely on any private source of information.
    Thus, they should be careful during the trial
    not to discuss the case at home or elsewhere.
    Information that a juror gets from a private
    source may be only half true, or biased or
    inaccurate. It may be irrelevant to the case at
    hand. At any rate, it is only fair that the parties
    have a chance to know and comment on all
    the facts that matter in the case.
    If during the trial a juror learns elsewhere
    of some fact about the case, he or she should
    inform the court. The juror should not
    mention any such matter in the jury room.
    Actually I should probably ask @cubby on that one, but it looks black-and-white to me.

"If it's so black-and-white, why didn't the judge say something?"

The judge did, basically yelling at Jones' lawyers, who in turn, said Jones felt that he could not get a fair trial if he didn't. As opposed to, of course, it is a fair trial if someone objectively guilty is found guilty. Or in this case, the civil parallel.

Based on the damages trial so far, if Jones tries this again, there will likely be contempt-style consequencs.

Two, Jones also said that this is about "free speech" which, again, not in defamation it's not. But even so, this is a damages trial. Jones may no longer establish any defense -- he forfeit that right when he refused to comply with the court's rules. He forfeit the game, but still wants 7 points for a touchdown.

Three, Jones claimed InfoWars was right 95 percent of the time. Why yes, he did say that on the courthouse steps and not under oath.

Four, Jones recently pushed back his testimony, but he won't be able to avoid it. There was a lot recently showing how Jones was calling them actors at the funerals they were attending, while also raking in clicks, views, and sales in vast quantities. And we've seen the under-oath objective timeline that Jones started lying about Sandy Hook within 3 hours of the shooting, and continued until he was sued.

Incidentally, in case you were guessing, yes, his lawyers did push back his testimony shortly after the "I'm done saying I'm sorry" outburst and yelling at random passers-by contempt-worthy outburst. Now he's testifying after the victims. Which...holy shit, that's just stupid fucking stupid. I don't know if he was in the courtroom this week, I don't even know if he was in the state. But he will have to return, I suspect the victims' lawyers will flay him alive, and I can't wait to see what he does on the stand this time, because every move he's made so far has been a mistake, and the Bingo card is almost full.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, I wonder how the trial is going?

(checks NYTimes rolling tracker)

Oh...ouch, witnesses are testifying about the abuse they endured from Jones' listeners. So...not great for Jones, then.

One, on Thursday, Jones apparently tried talking to the jury by yelling at people outside the courthouse. One, he asked them to do their own research before deciding damages. Um, yeah, that's not how juries work. In fact, juries are prohibited from introducing evidence or testifying -- and it can lead to a mistrial if a juror conceals that they have prior knowledge or information that sways the other eleven. It's pretty clear on the subject in this dot-gov manual.

Actually I should probably ask @cubby on that one, but it looks black-and-white to me.

"If it's so black-and-white, why didn't the judge say something?"

The judge did, basically yelling at Jones' lawyers, who in turn, said Jones felt that he could not get a fair trial if he didn't. As opposed to, of course, it is a fair trial if someone objectively guilty is found guilty. Or in this case, the civil parallel.

Based on the damages trial so far, if Jones tries this again, there will likely be contempt-style consequencs.

Two, Jones also said that this is about "free speech" which, again, not in defamation it's not. But even so, this is a damages trial. Jones may no longer establish any defense -- he forfeit that right when he refused to comply with the court's rules. He forfeit the game, but still wants 7 points for a touchdown.

Three, Jones claimed InfoWars was right 95 percent of the time. Why yes, he did say that on the courthouse steps and not under oath.

Four, Jones recently pushed back his testimony, but he won't be able to avoid it. There was a lot recently showing how Jones was calling them actors at the funerals they were attending, while also raking in clicks, views, and sales in vast quantities. And we've seen the under-oath objective timeline that Jones started lying about Sandy Hook within 3 hours of the shooting, and continued until he was sued.

Incidentally, in case you were guessing, yes, his lawyers did push back his testimony shortly after the "I'm done saying I'm sorry" outburst and yelling at random passers-by contempt-worthy outburst. Now he's testifying after the victims. Which...holy shit, that's just stupid fucking stupid. I don't know if he was in the courtroom this week, I don't even know if he was in the state. But he will have to return, I suspect the victims' lawyers will flay him alive, and I can't wait to see what he does on the stand this time, because every move he's made so far has been a mistake, and the Bingo card is almost full.
    It is black and white - juries don't get to do their own research. Outside information at a trial is antithetical to the entire process.

Jury tampering is a felony. What Jones is doing is trying to force a mistrial, by explicitly tainting the jury, because it's all he has left before they take away all his money and assets. And the stupid thing is, this is the damages portion of the trial, so even if he gets a mistrial, redoing it won't change his guilt. Plus, he'll see jailtime for the contempt charges in forcing the mistrial.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Plus, he'll see jailtime for the contempt charges in forcing the mistrial.
    He's lucky he was let off with a warning, considering the open disdain he's shown your profession and the system that uses it. Like, I don't get why his lawyers don't quit.

(re-reads thread)

Oh, that's right. Almost all of them did.

- - - Updated - - -

So let's check in on the trial and...dear lord, someone who didn't know the facts would think this was kicking a puppy. Alex Jones' legal team is just sitting there as the plaintiffs play tape after tape of Jones' show and also his/his ally's depositions and have done nothing all day today.

Plus

After dropping his family off at the hotel and parking the car, Mr. Parker was walking back to the hotel when a man recognized him and stopped him on the street. Mr. Parker reached out to shake his hand — and the man responded with a profanity-laced tirade, asking how Mr. Parker slept at night and how much money he had made from the government off Sandy Hook.
    is just one of the stories told, on the stand, under oath. The guy had moved 3,000 miles away.

Look, I know this is a damages trial and Jones can't raise a defense because he already admitted guilt by default. But this is hours and hours of brutal testimony and evidence of how guilty he is, and his lawyers either can't or won't stop it.

In Connecticut, there is no Texas-size cap on damages. These lawyers better do something worth a paycheck before Jones is worth negative eleventy billion dollars.

Unleash the crazy!!!!

I'm still baffled why anybody ever took this crackpot seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliena View Post
    I'm still baffled why anybody ever took this crackpot seriously?
    The truth of this, as many things, can be found in South Park.

The world is a chaotic place, and while all actions have consequences, not all consequences we see are results of actions we know about. Most people are capable of accepting that. But for many, there needs to be a reason. The construction on the off-ramp that made you 20 minutes to work, on the one day you have performance evaluation? Sure, it could be normal wear and tear repair and you didn't see the orange signs. It could be an overturned truck or car crash knocked half a divider into the left-hand lane. Could be a water main. Or...it could be the universe is out to get you. It could be God's way of saying that job isn't right for you. Or it could be Steve in Accounting who always wanted your office with a window. Fucking Steve!

Faith is a powerful motivation for many humans, and has been for thousands of years. It's fostered by religion and exploited by cults. Faith does not require proof or evidence, and in fact rejects these. But it does need direction. Even if you swallow your doubt and turn it inside out, you can't have faith in nothing.

Some people have faith that everything happens for a reason, even bad things. Everything has to be part of a plan. If something bad happens, it can't be random chance or due to something you don't know about. It has to be intentional.

There are people who, erm, well perhaps you've heard people suggest God sent a storm to wipe out a city because a gay person lived there? Yeah...but that's not the issue here. This is where South Park comes in.

W: People need to think we are all-powerful. That we control the world. If they know we weren't in charge of 9/11 then... we appear to control nothing.
    Kyle: Well why don't you just tell people the truth?!
    W: We do that too. And most people believe the truth. But one fourth of the population is retarded. If they wanna believe we control everything with intricate plans, why not let them?
    As long as people need to believe that everything happens for a reason (it does) that they know about (it doesn't) there will be people who will take advantage of these, in many cases, lost and scared people to turn their need for order in an orderless world into power and money. But the scariest of them all, are the people who need a reason things are the way they are, and make something up out of thin air for no reason. We call them "insane". There are so many variants of insane that fit this broad category. Trump shows at least three.

Alex Jones might be an actor, or he might be crazy, I assume the former. But faith in something bigger is a pretty standard part of the human condition, and we haven't made a new religion in hundreds of years. Until we get our next Moses, Mohammed, Buddha, or Jesus, we're going to have to accept that people looking for a reason bad things happen to (who they see as) good people will latch onto gay frogs, flat Earth, and actual demons from hell running for President.

I see you follow the teachings of Trey and Matt and quoted scripture from S10E09! ...isn't that how religions start? /s

Cult or religion? its hard to tell the difference these days, you just have to look at right-wing Christian churches who fleece the unfortune followers on a regular basis: `God told me I need a new private jet to help spread the good word! Donate now and get your reward in heaven!` type of bullshit.

The first time I saw Alex Jones I though he was a unfunny parody, but with people buying his shitty supplements and the fact got rich for spreading his crazy brand of truth its 100% a cult, preying on the weak and damaged.
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.