Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    That "data" is all speculative since Blizz does not release sub numbers for the past several expansions. We do not know what their actual sub numbers look like.
    It's not, really. You can extrapolate based on achievements. Specifically you can follow known trends such as how many people clear a normal raid.

For example - if, in X.0 10,000 guilds cleared normal and then in X.1 8,500 cleared normal and then in Y.0 8,000 cleared normal - we can easily presume the subscription numbers are going down at a specific rate.

You may not know exact numbers but by following overall trends from the years you can get a very good pictures of the health of the game.

So no, it's not all speculative. It can be heavily inferred based off of previous data.

You can even track how many guilds clear normal and how long it took them. So this will allow you to take into account the difficulty of the raid itself. With Mythic Plus data you can track how many are playing regularly now and extrapolate the health of the game from that.

The thing about WoW, specifically, is it's health relies on the snowball effect. They got lucky. In much the same way Facebook got lucky and people don't just jump to the next big thing. It's why people in the EU aren't jumping to signal overnight but, instead, are still using WhatsApp. Timing is important as well as having a critical mass / momentum going.

This means if trends start showing the player count as slowing - that's bad. Very bad.

This is why they need to focus on new blood. I seem to recall most people quit the game before even reaching max level where the "real" game begins. This could be for a variety of reasons - none of which I'll ever trust Ion's responses nor will I ever trust Ghostcrawler's previous responses about it.

lol what a huge disappointment this xpac reveal has been.

I love how they are acting like a ui overhaul is an actual feature for this xpac hahaha. All that tells me is this expansion is lacking actual features and they have to bulk it up with "ui overhaul" as a key feature.

That cinematic although well made was just awful too. I almost forgot it was the reveal trailer for a wow expansion up until the dragon appeared at the end.

that fire dumpster of a class...or was a new race? I guess they couldn't make up their mind and decided "lets make a mediocre version of both rolled up into one" lul

Thank god they got the one thing that matters most for any wow expansion; inclusive multi colored hair dragon furries yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Weilyn View Post
    It's weird that this is the 3rd filler xpac in a row. Last main xpac was Legion.
    Arguably this entire expansion is just cut content from Vanilla which is part of why it feels so awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    A vocal minoroty does not = large contingent. And if it were optional, what would the rest of us have to do? Gong by everything you all want, that means there will be no other content in the game as all the resources would have to be given to player housing.

They should be focusing as they are on getting people to go out and adventure, not play house.
    In the scale of the playerbase, even 10,000 people would equal large and still be a minority of the overall tally. In re to the ever-so-tired "resources" argument, that has been debunked in the forums a number of times. There is inevitable overlap of the talent pool at the company but no real explorable content would be sacrificed. They could *gasp* actually hire some people in. Yeah, novel concept. If they don't, there is available downtime to be had without forcing the people who would be involved having to work megahours. You ask what would the rest of the people who don't want to engage in that optional content do? PvP, M+, raiding, pet battles, xmog farming, apparently customizing your new dragon mount, achievement hunting, farming, playing the AH, alts - the variety is there if you look for it. Just because something new is added in doesn't automatically mean something has to be removed.

Ultimately though anything and everything that draws players into the game is a good thing. The last thing the game needs is to ignore an obvious avenue of engagement. Going out and adventuring each expansion is implicit. New zones or reworked zones drop and people go look at them. New instances beckon heroes to challenge themselves. That "exploration" eventually ends and you return to the usual grind. You will never get constantly releasing content. It is a pipe dream with the current tech built into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarx View Post
    who is the enemy ?
    These stupid woke devs at blizzard are not interested in making warcraft.

Its lovecraft where we will pick flowers and find wedding rings for dragons mark my words this game is going to suck even more then shadowlands because those that had any love for this franchise dont work at blizzard anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zones look extremely barren in the trailer.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

People can call me whatever they want, but Blizzard have shown their true (multi)colours.

There was NO PASSION AT ALL from the developers. It felt quite forced and phony. No wonder the game is in this state. However bad the developers may have been in the past (and I hated Cataclysm with a passion, I still feel that elementals make for awful antagonists, that Deathwing deserved a much better xpac) but there was a lot of passion in their eyes. With the current team, there is no hope.

I don't know what is going on with so many games, movies, books and such. They seem to have people who are competent, but feel nothing for the product. It is all about 'the cool ideas' and 'the concepts they want to see' or the underlying messages, but it isn't about paying tribute to what is established and what the fans might enjoy. This is why we get so many things that LOOK incredible, but deep down are devoid of originality and... soul.

WoD felt like a filler, and I was pleasantly surprised for the most part. Legion smelled fishy, and I approached it with caution, and it was okay for the most part. BFA sucked from the get-go, and I was disappointed. SL was clearly awful from the very beginning, and I was annoyed by that. With this one... It's just bland and generic. The new zones looked like a Northrend refresh for the most part, there was nothing intriguing about them. Not having a 'big bad' is something I wanted, but I expected we'd actually further the stories of the different races in the game, going forward with many stories that were left behind. Instead, we get an 'Alex and dragonfriends' cartoon opening that isn't mysterious, doesn't pique our interest at all...

It's so bland that I can't even call it disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post
    It's not, really. You can extrapolate based on achievements. Specifically you can follow known trends such as how many people clear a normal raid.
    For example - if, in X.0 10,000 guilds cleared normal and then in X.1 8,500 cleared normal and then in Y.0 8,000 cleared normal - we can easily presume the subscription numbers are going down at a specific rate.
    Again,that is all speculative. What about people who do not raid at all? What about people who do not care about achivements? What about people who once raided, but don't do it anymore? That alone means you cannot presume anything based on raiding numbers,

You may not know exact numbers but by following overall trends from the years you can get a very good pictures of the health of the game.
    NO you can't for the exact reasons I stated above and various other questions I can ask.

So no, it's not all speculative. It can be heavily inferred based off of previous data.
    Yes it is speculative because you are looking at specific data and ignoring all the rest or any context to it.

You can even track how many guilds clear normal and how long it took them. So this will allow you to take into account the difficulty of the raid itself. With Mythic Plus data you can track how many are playing regularly now and extrapolate the health of the game from that.

The thing about WoW, specifically, is it's health relies on the snowball effect. They got lucky. In much the same way Facebook got lucky and people don't just jump to the next big thing. It's why people in the EU aren't jumping to signal overnight but, instead, are still using WhatsApp. Timing is important as well as having a critical mass / momentum going.

This means if trends start showing the player count as slowing - that's bad. Very bad.

This is why they need to focus on new blood. I seem to recall most people quit the game before even reaching max level where the "real" game begins. This could be for a variety of reasons - none of which I'll ever trust Ion's responses nor will I ever trust Ghostcrawler's previous responses about it.
    Agagin,focuasing on one specific activity does not presume anything for the entire game. You are cherry picking data and spinning it to fit a narrative. IT does nto in any way account for a players choice of activities ie stil playing but not raiding anymore.

As I said it is all speculative as people spin numbers to fit what they want them to say. Only Blizzard knows the true sub numbers. Nobody else.

World Of Warcraft™: Ion Hazzicostas Plays It Safe©.

Well, I guess it's to be expected. Ion's never been a risk taker, he's been iterating on the same theme since he was Peter Principled into the Game Director chair. After the scandals, failure of Shadowlands and being forced out of the spotlight actually interacting with streamers throwing him softball questions, you'd expect him to stay the course, don't change horses mid-race, don't rock the boat. It's who he is.

But that's not what everyone was expecting. And, didn't get. More of the same - you know mission tables, world quests, and SOME sort of currency attached to the main campaign are there, you just won't see them until beta. (When it will be too late to remove or change.) (Like that was an option to begin with.)

I wasn't expecting much. The fake leaks were infinitely more interesting than what they just gave you, and that's a big problem. What they showed isn't bad, but it isn't good, either. No, wait, I take that back - the new race looks really fucking bad. But back to the point - they needed a MOP or Legion reveal, and what they dropped...ain't that.

Danuser is still employed there, so you're fucked to begin with.

This is the least amount of hype I've seen for a WoW Expansion, ever, looking at the reaction across all surviving WoW discussion sites and social media. Sure, the WoW Lab Rats will get their WoW Pellets when they push the WoW Lever, so it's not like Blizzard will go out of business (especially with their new Sugar Daddy Microsoft), but seriously. This is so underwhelming it's sad.

This is what WoW is reduced to?

Man. Right in the feels. Right. In. The. Feels.

Whelp, so much for 10.0. Have fun with that. Maybe Diablo 4 will be worth installing the Blizzard Launcher for. Maybe. Part of me was hoping for more, for the people who desperately want to keep playing WoW and want it to be good. Ion's not your guy for that, sadly. If Danuser didn't get fired/transferred to a new team after the utter fiasco of Shadowlands, I guess Ion has some serious job security, but that's not good for the game. They need new leadership, desperately, period. Ion is not the guy who's going to take chances, or have a new vision - that's pretty fucking clear, and if you have any expectations in that regard, you need to wise up, fast. He's a spreadsheet wrangler, not a visionary.

I'm kind of bummed, honestly. I hoped they'd finally got it, that they were serious about change, that they'd try to rebuild the interest and passion and fun of their game, but all you get is...Ion Computer says...no.

PS - that dragon flying thing - yeah, that's not going live in the way they're selling it. I'd put two years worth of sub money and the $70 box price on that. Nerfed hard, or just scrapped.

Edited to add: Just saw that Polygon got the first big interview with Danuser (I just threw up in my mouth a little, the fucker is doing press now?) and "lead combat designer" Brian Holinka. So he's not just PvP anymore? Yeah, that's a hard nope from me, on top of a granite nope overall, anything that dick touches is gonna suck. Holinka is game cancer.
    Last edited by Gadzooks; 2022-04-19 at 06:40 PM.

Keyboard Turner
    1+ Year Old Account
    So when will it be released?

Ok this is cool (https://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3639901):

“The Dracthyr are going to be able to participate in the dragonriding system and mechanics too,” Graham confirms. “Dracthyr have wings so they get to fly and they use the same style of momentum and gravity that dragonriding drakes do. During their starter experience, you get introduced to the new mechanics with tutorials and all that stuff. Heading into building the expansion, knowing that we wanted to create this feature, we had to set up the environment to match. I've only gotten to see it myself recently and it shocked me how much it brought me into the world. Being engaged in the act of moving around while flying is very different for WoW, and made me see the environment in a new way.”

Technically beautiful cinematic as always but completely flavorless and odorless. It managed to elicit precisely zero emotions from me even when it obviously tried to. And the new race looks like a sad joke, like someone's awful fursona you'd find on DeviantArt. Yawn-inducing, all of it.

Dragonflight looks great, but seems really poorly thought out depending on how you look at it. If it does feel great, and I can use these new mechanics in the old world, then I'll be stuck wanting to use the fun new dragon mounts, but be limited to just that mount. And all my old mounts will collect dust as old flying will be boring by comparison. And, on the other side, if Dragonflight is limited to just the Dragon Isles, then we have more content that isn't evergreen and the dragon I fly will collect dust as we move to the next expansion in a few years.

This just solidifies that Blizzard hasn't learned anything. Everything we got is just more of the same, just shifting the expansion features to not include player power. This dragonflight stuff should have been a flying mount revamp from the ground up. To make all the mounts viable and fun to fly, then provide the player with a customizable dragon for the expansion. Having this new form of flying limited to just these new dragons feels really bad when you look at it from a macro level. We need more evergreen content.

Danuser's eyebrows on fleek

Last edited by DarkAmbient; 2022-04-19 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Niter View Post
    People can call me whatever they want, but Blizzard have shown their true (multi)colours.

There was NO PASSION AT ALL from the developers. It felt quite forced and phony. No wonder the game is in this state. However bad the developers may have been in the past (and I hated Cataclysm with a passion, I still feel that elementals make for awful antagonists, that Deathwing deserved a much better xpac) but there was a lot of passion in their eyes. With the current team, there is no hope.

I don't know what is going on with so many games, movies, books and such. They seem to have people who are competent, but feel nothing for the product. It is all about 'the cool ideas' and 'the concepts they want to see' or the underlying messages, but it isn't about paying tribute to what is established and what the fans might enjoy. This is why we get so many things that LOOK incredible, but deep down are devoid of originality and... soul.

WoD felt like a filler, and I was pleasantly surprised for the most part. Legion smelled fishy, and I approached it with caution, and it was okay for the most part. BFA sucked from the get-go, and I was disappointed. SL was clearly awful from the very beginning, and I was annoyed by that. With this one... It's just bland and generic. The new zones looked like a Northrend refresh for the most part, there was nothing intriguing about them. Not having a 'big bad' is something I wanted, but I expected we'd actually further the stories of the different races in the game, going forward with many stories that were left behind. Instead, we get an 'Alex and dragonfriends' cartoon opening that isn't mysterious, doesn't pique our interest at all...

It's so bland that I can't even call it disappointing.
    Its commodification. Gaming(Games) have headed that route for a long time. Games are a product, products are to sell. To make money. Now, aint anything wrong in that(to sell stuff), but this is the late stage result of commodification of a product(games).

You could say "but wow sucks now" and you might be right, but it does print money.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethas View Post
    Looks bleak and completely off. A bunch of SJW ruin the game you can see it online.
    SJW’s must work incredibly fast given that we’re only a few months from a huge lawsuit breaking showing a really unpc work culture where they pass over woman and minority’s for higher positions and hiring.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Danuser's eyebrows on fleek

As if he wasn't creepy enough to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    HOnestly, at this point, this community deserves literally the worst possible game.

1- people are literally complaining that there is no villain. People have been asking for no world ending enemy for a while now.
    2- People are asayng the zones looks barren. We have been asking for more expansive zones for a long time now. Not to mention... YOu have not played it yet.
    3- People are saying where are the features. In the same breath that they complained on the build around features of the previous expansions.
    4- People are complaining about dragonrideing that will allow you to fly day 1 apparently. Saying that it is not real flying.

At this point you guys just want to hate.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by Lixo View Post
    Yeah that sounds really stupid, guess I won't be buying this expansion. You do realize all the zones in past expansions without flying in the beginning have been designed without it, so having it just makes everything too fast. But I guess kids these days don't have the attention span.
    Not sure what you're smoking, kid. Adults don't want to waste their limited game time fucking around with pointless mobs on the roads. Travel is neither rewarding nor interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    4- People are complaining about dragonrideing that will allow you to fly day 1 apparently. Saying that it is not real flying.
    Compared to how you can fly now it is not. Not by a long shot. What they want is flying day 1 like it is now. You will have to level your dragonridng up to get to that. So it isn't what they want.