Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    No "main big bad guy" is actually finally a good thing, but trailer was bedge
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

I'd be ok with it if we weren't shown the big bad of the expansion but we're not given any kind of antagonist. Like...why the fuck would we be going to Dragon Isles? To just visit what is essentially time shares for the dragons? Without knowing what conflict is drawing us there, it destroys any hype for the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Aluren View Post
    Maybe it's because we already knew what it was, but I feel the trailer was VERY underwhelming. Barely any story behind it, characters we already knew were coming back, no villain, nothing... just 5 minutes of preparation to introduce Alexstrasza and the others.

I'm not talking about the xpac itself, just the trailer specifically btw.
    This has been the best WoW cinematic trailer since WoD.

I hope that stonebro has some kinda role in the game lol

Maybe replace that dude sitting on the throne

Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    It has no tension, because it focuses 100% on the world building. It's beautiful, makes me want to explore the land, but has no thrill to it. It does feel like they want to start fresh with the story - but starting fresh means no characters we can relate to and no tangible threat.
    For a trailer focused on worldbuilding, it awfully shows little of the world and focuses a lot of a stone dude trying to turn on the lights.

WoW Classic, by comparison, focuses on worldbuilding, because it's just random ass moments across the entire world with points of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusken View Post
    I think it's okay. It does set up the story a little in the sense that we now know the Dragon Isles have "awoken" for some reason. I think Stone Bro is irrelevant but the fact that we see what I assume to be Tyr sitting at the top of that temple/shrine thing leads me to believe he'll be revived and play a part somehow.
    If I had to bet the reason behind the awakening, I would say it was Sargeras stabbing Azeroth.When you look at the first shot of the still inanimate stoneboi going back to present time, the sea around the rocks is yellowish/electric blue - the colour of azerite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of all the problems I have with Dragonflight, the cinematic is not one of them. Although admittedly the "10,000 years ago" caption made me expect something much bigger than what we got.

I liked it, even threw my arms up when she caught the stone guy. Now I would have loved to have seen more of the Aspects there as a whole, but I thought it was ok. I think its fairly generic because when making it they really didn't have much to go on other than Dragon's coming back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Aluren View Post
    Maybe it's because we already knew what it was, but I feel the trailer was VERY underwhelming. Barely any story behind it, characters we already knew were coming back, no villain, nothing... just 5 minutes of preparation to introduce Alexstrasza and the others.

I'm not talking about the xpac itself, just the trailer specifically btw.
    I truely believe they are trying change the focus.

Instead of one big bad guy - called the Jailer - going to end everything - there are bunch of dragons and some avatars doing things - in a very lighthearted/cartoonish way.

I think it's on purpose - and I think they for first time decided to do so. Benefits could be less lore hype, to avoid dissapointment later. It opens up for exploration - as you said - it really doesn't say anything about anything. It allows the story to evolve in many ways.

I think it's a bold move - we will see how it plays off.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2022-04-20 at 08:54 AM.

Had no feelings at all around this cinematic and thats a first when it comes to a WoW cinematic.

So yeah it was very bad in my opinion since they use unknown beings and for dragons to show up 5 seconds after the machine is active also makes 0 sense.

And with no enemy or threat what should we look forward to? Pick flowers for unknown dragon NPCs the next few years…. Maybe woke people like that future of warcraft but i have no interest in lovecraft.
    Last edited by tromage2; 2022-04-20 at 08:56 AM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Enjoyed the adventure of stony boy.
    Totally felt the same way once, had a job to do but everyone else was sick/missing.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    IMO the real problem is Wow's storyline has been exhausted. The major behind the scenes villains have all been killed, we've had countless secret and unknown islands pop up... let's face it, the game is old as hell. Blizz is kind of going the Simpsons route where they are trying to squeeze as much profit out of this as possible and the novelty of WoW has grown quite stale because of this.
    There is the whole void vs. light build up but I think doing something like that right after SL is not the right move. It's probably a good idea to flesh out the next big bad with an in-between expansion.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was perfect because it showed nothing but yet a lot.

It gave the good old vibes of adventure, not knowing what lies ahead and knowing that there is adventure right there, on a huge "new" land!

We need more of this and less focus on very closed down targets.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely the worst cinematic trailer they've ever done. Every single other trailer had me rushing over here and wanting to take part in some discourse and speculation.

It didn't really have any faction representation of any of our leaders doing cool stuff, didn't have some devious villain that left us chomping at the bit to know what sort of mark they'll make or to give us a sense of finality, didn't have the sheer quirkiness or enjoyability of MoP's, even. It just felt like it served no purpose other than to showcase the cinematic team's talents.

It's hard to believe it was even 5 minutes long, it just felt like nothing
    Last edited by Beastiel; 2022-04-20 at 09:09 AM.

i was hoping the whole thing is going to turn out as a titan-centric expansion being a gotcha-moment towards all the leaks but then alexstrasza caught the guy and it turned out to be dragonflight after all.

overall i liked the video. the face of the watcher feels familiar but i can't place it.

the line "the world is healing but her fate is yet uncertain" could be used to describe the state of the game; may it be worded that way deliberately or not.

Didn't feel any hype, but I didn't expect anything particular. Felt bland, more like a teaser instead of a trailer.

It was just a random watcher going up the beacon and some dragons. Wanted to see Alexstrasza elf form, but meh...

15+ Year Old Account
    No, it felt fresh and like a new start for WoW.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

It was pretty cool imo. Really liked the stone watchers especially the main one, the various dragonflights swooping in and flying around and Alex looked cool. Not every cinematic needs to be the same, and we had enough of faction leaders in couple of previous ones.
    Good one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    No, it felt fresh and like a new start for WoW.
    This basically.

It'll be interesting to have an expansion without a major universe ending threat again. It was a breath of fresh air in MoP and this feels very familiar so far. The stone watchers thematically remind me somewhat of the Mogu, except the Mogu were obviously inspired by the Mongol and these Titan Keepers seem more Greek in design.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

10+ Year Old Account
    Not the best trailer, but a good one nonetheless.

The art was on point and I was happy to see the watchers. I loved their clicking movements, really felt like they were made of stone. I love how imposing they look and how fundamentally "good" they are, the one in the trailer risking his life to fix things with very little hesitation.

In contrast, the trailer for Shadowlands made me legitimately angry, and to this day I consider it the equivalent of watching someone beat an old man. So they couldn't really do worse than that.

I am puzzled however, who is the green dragon in the trailer? When we see Alex, Nozdormu, Kalec, there is also a green dragon flying in. It might be one of the horde of dragons that soon follow, but it might be the new green aspect. Or can Ysera come back?