Page 1 of 3
LastLast

So they are removing world quests in Dragonflight?

.. because Hazzikostas said they will not add any new borrowed power systems anymore, but focus on core components. Actually, the whole world questing progression was based on a renown system or something like that having time gates in place.

So what is going to replace it? A new reputation grind? Do world quests simply drop items as like in BFA world questing? Are there badges as like in MoP with limited weekly efforts?

Or do they really go the path of removing world content in endgame completely? Do they want everyone to play dungeons and raids for endgame?

Quote Originally Posted by cantrip View Post
    .. because Hazzikostas said they will not add any new borrowed power systems anymore, but focus on core components. Actually, the whole world questing progression was based on a renown system or something like that having time gates in place.

So what is going to replace it? A new reputation grind? Do world quests simply drop items as like in BFA world questing? Are there badges as like in MoP with limited weekly efforts?

Or do they really go the path of removing world content in endgame completely? Do they want everyone to play dungeons and raids for endgame?
    There was nothing stating to be no world quests. World quests don't have to be connected with borrowed power, you can just do them, there's no demand to be connected to renown, AP, or anything. They are just WQs.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    There was nothing stating to be no world quests. World quests don't have to be connected with borrowed power, you can just do them, there's no demand to be connected to renown, AP, or anything. They are just WQs.
    Yep, but in the last expacs all progression including gear rewards was locked behind time gates for world content (renown, reputations, some limited currency). How are they solving that in the coming up expac? If i remember how much a double edged sword many of the design decisions of the devs were in the past, i really can imagine a scenario where they simply remove any endgame questing content.

Really would like to know more.

We don't have any information on what the end game content is going to look like for this expansion.

World Quests kinda suck anyway in their current implementation. They sucked the player agency from the world and gave you forced agency in the form of a checklist with a specific reward.
    I'd rather see them make World Quests a complimentary system that allows you to find other things to do in the world instead of basically being the ONLY things you can do in the open world that gives you any kind of meaningful reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    We don't have any information on what the end game content is going to look like for this expansion.

World Quests kinda suck anyway in their current implementation. They sucked the player agency from the world and gave you forced agency in the form of a checklist with a specific reward.
    I'd rather see them make World Quests a complimentary system that allows you to find other things to do in the world instead of basically being the ONLY things you can do in the open world that gives you any kind of meaningful reward.
    If you asked me i would simply make existing questing regions replayable at endgame level with different difficulties and gearing progression. Could be an incentive for the devs to continously develop both old and new regions.

Yep, but in the last expacs all progression including gear rewards was locked behind time gates for world content (renown, reputations, some limited currency). How are they solving that in the coming up expac? If i remember how much a double edged sword many of the design decisions of the devs were in the past, i really can imagine a scenario where they simply remove any endgame questing content.

Well they should go ahead and not have that system in place any longer.

Time gated world content giving you renown, reputations, and limited currency should just go ahead and not exist. I'd rather see the open world exist to be a sandbox for you to farm things like reputation and not a checklist of menial activities that reward important pieces of power for your character progress.

I also really hate how stuff was time gated. Like allow us to farm reputation by doing things OTHER than world quests please. I'd rather have less world quests and more options than have to constantly run around doing refreshing tasks. >.<

Edit: I'll elaborate on this further: The reason I find the grind in Classic to be less annoying than Retail despite being essentially the same thing except you have to deal with competition is because the grind in Classic is for a common currency: Gold. Gold is used in Classic to buy gear, consumable items, respecs, new mounts, cosmetic items to some degree, among other things. It's a common resource shared among all players, so anybody from a mount collector to a hardcore raider is going to find some kind of value in it. The rewards you are getting for engaging in open world content in Classic is also based on the playerbase itself. The supply and demand of the economy determines how effective certain grinds are, and you don't have a little icon telling you where to go and what to do. You decide what you'd like to do based on the profit per hour.
    The entire thing feels more like a real world and less like random NPCs handing out badges or artifact power that will all disappear once the expansion ends.

I think WoW's end game open world needs more of that and less of the time gated world quest stuff being the ONLY means for you to access rep grinds and the like.
    Last edited by Hctaz; 2022-04-19 at 06:10 PM.

Time gated world content giving you renown, reputations, and limited currency should just go ahead and not exist. I'd rather see the open world exist to be a sandbox for you to farm things like reputation and not a checklist of menial activities that reward important pieces of power for your character progress.

I also really hate how stuff was time gated. Like allow us to farm reputation by doing things OTHER than world quests please. I'd rather have less world quests and more options than have to constantly run around doing refreshing tasks. >.<
    Fully agree. Probably world content should entirely be based on effort spent rather than being limited to a few hours every week. People should play on their pace, while i think stories should be replayable and you simply should be able to play quests for gear progression as like you could grind materials for crafting.

They talked about crafting a little bit. Probably they want to make the world a playground for crafters?

We all do, but alpha isn't even live.

As well, WQs don't have to be connected to progression either, just reputation, some coin and/or a little bit of gear/materials.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

We had many expansions with daily quests that lead to nothing but gold, rep, and maybe faction-specific currencies to buy random items. I think it would be perfectly fine if World Quests returned to that. As far as any kind of non-dungeon, non-raid player progression, nothing mentioned, other than they no longer want to do expansion-specific systems that are linked to player power that are ditched by the time the next expansion comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroticaine View Post
    We had many expansions with daily quests that lead to nothing but gold, rep, and maybe faction-specific currencies to buy random items. I think it would be perfectly fine if World Quests returned to that. As far as any kind of non-dungeon, non-raid player progression, nothing mentioned, other than they no longer want to do expansion-specific systems that are linked to player power that are ditched by the time the next expansion comes out.
    I know, and WQs don't have to be linked to an expansion, or player power.

Fully agree. Probably world content should entirely be based on effort spent rather than being limited to a few hours every week. People should play on their pace, while i think stories should be replayable and you simply should be able to play quests for gear progression as like you could grind materials for crafting.

They talked about crafting a little bit. Probably they want to make the world a playground for crafters?
    Maybe. I'd like to see SOMETHING be done though.

I also agree on the idea that world content should be based on effort spent rather than being limited.

In Legion, you basically had to log in for 1-2 hours once every world quest reset (which I believe was once every 8 hours) in order to maintain optimal progression. That just sucked IMO. I'd rather be able to play maybe 1 hour on Monday, nothing on Tuesday because it's my daughter's ballet class night, some on Wednesday, and then like 5 hours on Friday and Saturday to catch back up than feeling like I need to log in for 2 hours every single day or I'm missing out on potential artifact power and reputation. Cursed system IMO.

Yeah, I was mostly elaborating on your point, lol

We disagree on a lot of stuff, but heavy agree on this for sure.

It'd be nice if World Quests felt more optional and less like a necessary grind related to increasing the power of your player character for this current expansion. It would be interesting to get random rewards that could be cosmetic items for going back and doing other things in other places as well. Dislike how so many things nowadays are limited to the expansion that they were made for and then just dropped like a rock.

How many times I caught squirrels and and acorns for some artifact power and a little rep in Legion... good lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroticaine View Post
    Yeah, I was mostly elaborating on your point, lol
    Pardon me, misread.

- - - Updated - - -

We disagree on a lot of stuff, but heavy agree on this for sure.
    Glad to reach an agreement.

Just hope they'll make these just generated WQs with a reward, no connection other than maybe reputation for that zone.

Glad to reach an agreement.

Just hope they'll make these just generated WQs with a reward, no connection other than maybe reputation for that zone.
    This is why I always believe in reading dissenting comments and not just HATING people for having different opinions. I might not always like your takes, but I certainly recognize the name and PFP, and I always read your posts because they're well thought out and insightful.

And then sometimes we agree LOL

Um wrong. WQs were just a re-envisioning of daily/weekly quests. Nothing about it is borrowed power, unless you count getting gear that improves your character that is somewhat replaces once a new expansion releases.

- - - Updated - - -

If you asked me i would simply make existing questing regions replayable at endgame level with different difficulties and gearing progression. Could be an incentive for the devs to continously develop both old and new regions.
    Yawn. Go back to 1998-2000 with that boring old concept of adding content by not doing much.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Um wrong. WQs were just a re-envisioning of daily/weekly quests. Nothing about it is borrowed power, unless you count getting gear that improves your character that is somewhat replaces once a new expansion releases.
    Well, even daily quests in the past always had time gating. Think about reputations.

Well, even daily quests in the past always had time gating. Think about reputations.
    And what borrowed power system is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    And what borrowed power system is that?
    Well, the rewards from the reputations were only useful in the expac. Or did you need any items from the klaxxi in Warlords of Draenor?

If you think about it, the renown system just was an elaborated reputation system

there is no way they are removing world quests. personally I'd take the daily quest hubs over them or at least go back to how they were in Legion/BfA.