Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Perhaps I'm overly optimistic, but with their current philosophy of reinforcing permanent systems, could it be possible to see something like housing in a patch? If they want to build and keep the new toys, maybe that's one way to go about it.

As they arent even in alpha yet, power and expansion arching systems will come probably in the next updates. Its important to note a system like covenants CAN be good, if its done PROPERLY. Not having such a system is a LOSS to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    This is an "apology expansion", so all the moaning here really kind of proves some people will literally never be happy.

Key things they did:

1) Brought back talent trees so people could finally stop complaining.

2) No inter-character drama so people could finally stop complaining.

3) Upbeat not depressing setting so people could finally stop complaining.

4) Flight from very early on (day 1?) so people could finally stop complaining.

5) Professions made relevant/modern so people could finally stop complaining.

6) No world-ending drama so people could finally stop complaining.

7) New class so people could finally stop complaining.

8) NO BORROWED POWER SYSTEM SO WE ALL COULD FINALLY STOP COMPLAINING!!! Sorry for caps but jesus how are people skipping over that? Are you just silently assuming it's there? It's not.

There's a bunch of other stuff as well, but this expansion is basically:

"That thing you were complaining about for multiple expansions? We changed it/fixed it!".

Of course now you're complaining that they did that. There's a post above this moaning about the lack of a borrowed power system even. Also love the post calling them "trash devs" and hoping personal harm befalls them (CLASSY AND TOTALLY REASONABLE LOL), when this expansion is entirely focused on fixing problems and answering what people wanted. Yeah that's real trashy, actually listening to players! God we wouldn't want that!
    agreed, in a vacuum (ignoring all the *other* stuff going on at Blizzard) this announcement is all about going back to basics. like holy shit number 8 alone should be a huge deal.

Did they say if the dragon flying mechanic will carry over into future expansions? Or will it end up being a normal mount in the expansion after?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am going to assume nothing can impress OP. This presentation was legit and I am hyped. Go be a negative nancy for some other game, because this looks fucking awesome
    I 3d print stuff

I watched the presentation with my father, we both kind of agree with it not "winning us back over completely".

Now that said, I'd say everything we saw as a positive. In particular, I thought it very interesting that they're NOT bringing back dungeon-finder for WotLK Classic. That may be telling that they're seeing the importance of building a community, and how dungeon finder -- in their own words -- "kind of eroded it".

The new Class looks... interesting. It's a literal opposite to the Demon Hunter, although I noted a lot of similarities as well. I was surprised at first they weren't going to add another Tank, but it honestly makes sense the direction they went. I wish they'd given a bit more detail on the Healer spec specifically, I've never been interested in healers before, but if they do anything to spice things up, I might be down for it. My friend plays a DH tanks and does some pretty crazy stuff, it would be interesting if these guys get some really unique tools for healing.

Visually... I'll be honest, the "Drakthyr" or whatever they're called, they look a lot more effeminate than I'm kind of into. But maybe they only showed the female models? Not that we need some "big bruiser" sort of body type, but they seemed a bit *too* slender for my taste.

I'd also be interested in seeing how *old* armor is applied to them? I've never been into the Shaman or Hunter, so I don't have a ton of transmogs for that armor class, but would be good to know if it's worth spending time farming transmogs.

The new Profession changes look great. No complaints, other than it seems odd there aren't any BENEFITS to being a crafter, other than the gold for selling. Maybe that'll be just fine -- and honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing tradeskills just made account-wide.

Overall, good enough first impressions, but certainly nothing that screams "EXCITEMENT!". My hope is they'll later on have some "cool shit" to reveal for EXISTING classes, as well. Maybe Death Knights being able to "tame" or even "craft" their own undead minions, or Paladins collected pages to build unique holy tomes. Even if it's just "fluff", stuff like that makes the game fun.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Did they say if the dragon flying mechanic will carry over into future expansions? Or will it end up being a normal mount in the expansion after?
    I suspect the real answer is that they haven't decided. But if it's popular I strongly suspect it'll carry over, because why not? Just add a new flying monster or machine or a variety of them each expansion.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

On a scale of 1 to 5 with 1 = Dog crap and 5 = Awesome, here is how I would rate how excited I am for the new announcements in Dragonflight:

Profession Revamp: 2/5
    New Race-New Class: 1/5
    Dragon Riding: 2/5
    Talent System Revamp: 5/5
    Theme of The Expansion: 4/5
    UI Revamp: 3/5
    New Zones: 3/5
    Tier Set Theme/Art: 3/5

Overall: 3/5

We will see what's to come that could move my current rating up or down, but after today that is where I am at.

Side Note: Things I am wanting to be announced that would influence my current rating in a positive direction -

1. All systems are account wide
    2. All reputation is account wide
    3. Revamps (not overhauls) to current classes
    4. Legendary items that are not distributed like a candy parade

*Will edit as needed with additions thought of later on

- Ground

Well the great thing is that they haven't talked about any power system... for now... Titan power it will be maybe?

It didn't exactly win me over TBH. Like I was rather hyped for the announcement, I think there is interesting things in it but... I'm fully neutral to it? I'll need to see more, I'm still not sure if I'll even buy it.

It really depends on the execution of what they are doing. Talents seem interesting but if it just goes back to cookie cutter stuff, what's the point? Or if I need to level up to earn back powers we already had... There is a lot of those things that are just very unsure. The new class doesn't really inspire me all that much for now (I mean, we only saw a couple of spells and that's it). The dragon race feels... androgynous? Which is not bad lore wise but at the same time feels a bit like a missed opportunity when we have those badass 2 legged dragons already.

So yeah, dragonflight has indeed not won me back but it can. Maybe it's a good sign that the announcement is not that impressive, I don't quite remember but wasn't SL announcement a lot of impressive and yet...

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    The new Profession changes look great. No complaints, other than it seems odd there aren't any BENEFITS to being a crafter, other than the gold for selling. Maybe that'll be just fine -- and honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing tradeskills just made account-wide.
    I'm reading between the lines here, but I think the benefit is controlling quality and precision additions to crafted items. Remember where they talked about some crafters giving you "a little bit extra" or "always giving the best quality"? I presume when you craft for yourself, you can control that stuff, whereas if you just put in orders, you get what you get.
    "A youtuber said so."

10+ Year Old Account
    There wasn't anything about either the cinematic or the following presentations that whispered "I need to have this" to me. There's still plenty of time for that to happen of course. It was interesting that Classic Wrath was specifically tagged as being for 2022 and DragonFlight wasn't. They either don't know if they can make it for this year, already think it's going to be 2023, or simply don't know.

I'll admit a bias that dragons are the most overused fantasy trope and I believe that everything that ever needs to be said about them has already been said.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Runicblood View Post
    I am going to assume nothing can impress OP. This presentation was legit and I am hyped. Go be a negative nancy for some other game, because this looks fucking awesome
    Don't worry, some people have an actual taste, aren't sheeps for a rapist company, and expect something more than just a typical flying fantasy dragon and a talent tree revamp from the biggest MMO on the planet.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalarm View Post
    Maybe it's a good sign that the announcement is not that impressive, I don't quite remember but wasn't SL announcement a lot of impressive and yet...
    Almost every expansion that wasn't great had announcement that was kind of "WHOOA HOLY SHIT SOUNDS COOL!" - even WoD ("Times change!" - still one of the most badass lines in WoW), with the possible exception of BfA - and MoP, which was ultimately a pretty good expansion had a "Oh, boring..." reaction to the trailers etc.

Not that it means anything other than that initial impressions are not necessarily very telling.
    "A youtuber said so."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harbour View Post
    Like, if to remove all the mess, the only hyping up things are Talent Revamp and Profession Revamp.
    Who made you the fact checker for what is the only hyping things are?

New race, new class, both locked, amazing zones, the dragon riding with flight from the start, profession overhauls
    all amazing and hyp building things!
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Myrr View Post
    Because those systems have been such a massive success in BfA/SL.... /s
    There's a reason Blizzard keeps coming back to this ever since Legion though. It's to ensure the playerbase stays within a certain 'band' of power. Laggards get boosted, try-hards run into rubberbanding. Ensures players all can play together.

One single parameter that allows them to tweak the game. That's why they're obsessed with making this work. That's why you can bet your bottom dollar on that they're still trying to find a way to get this back into the game without calling it as such, hopefully without players noticing it even exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    GW2 style momentum based flying could be really fun, but it can't carry an expansion that lacks content (just 4 questing zones and they are short compared to MoP zone questlines, and there is hardly any endgame questing content like reputation storylines).
    A lot of assumptions based on very little information being available so far.

Talent Tree mixed with Conduits is GIGA

Soy Boy Dragon Wimp is TERRIBLE

Lets see the beta

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    What I dont like is they didnt add a new over-arching system. Yes talent revamp is great, but the game needs a new over-arching system that continues into new expansions afterwards and further develops the entire gameplay.

There wasnt that much to show as it seems they are far from an alpha as expected.
    they should completely leave out the over-arching systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Samava View Post
    they should completely leave out the over-arching systems.
    Good over-arching system examples are arenas, rbgs, m+, world quests - system which became great core gameplay, which should be developed further to improve the game. And people are sick of having systems come and go every expansion as Ion said himself. So whatever power system they will reveal in the near future, can only hope it will be over-arching as the game needs BACKBONE to stand on, not rental systems.

People have literally been asking for everything they are adding though.

- Professions gaining added depth ☑
    - Old talent system ☑
    - Cross-faction grouping ☑
    - New healer and ranged class ☑
    - Focus on exploration ☑

I am not sure what people want besides them rewinding time and allowing you to experience Nov 23rd 2004 all over again.