Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ...
31
39
40
41
42
43
LastLast
  1. #801
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    More like "New content that people will go 'Ooooo' at for 10 minutes then forget it exists"

    Blizzard needs to create activities for non raiders to do. If someone doesn't want to play PvP, raiding, or M+ then they quit the game, because there's nothing beyond mount and pet collecting after that point.

    Many people often say they don't care about Blizzard making content other than raiding, but healthy MMO communities are made up of players who do all sorts of things. And yes, 95% of Blizzard's player base could be casual players if they had casual content to keep them engaged. But there isn't. So they don't.
    But they have added non instanced content. You just refuse to see it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    It's true. No one is saying that. What some are asking for is a more rewarding and interesting end game for players who, for whatever reason, cannot raid or do not have the skills to do high-level M+. It's not a huge ask. Despite the questions about whether or not Hazzikostas and his team can deliver such a thing it's good business to maximize the time that players who buy expansions stay around for.
    What would that look like for you. Waving your hands and saying more rewarding and interesting game play for users means nothing. M+ hasn't had any substantial new content since 9.0. Raids get around 10 bosses every 6 months. The world gets at least 100 new quests every patch. That's a lot more story and more interesting than a raid. Or are you actually trying to disguise "where's my mythic level loot" as a request for more rewarding gameplay?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

  2. #802
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    But they have added non instanced content. You just refuse to see it.

    - - - Updated - - -



    What would that look like for you. Waving your hands and saying more rewarding and interesting game play for users means nothing. M+ hasn't had any substantial new content since 9.0. Raids get around 10 bosses every 6 months. The world gets at least 100 new quests every patch. That's a lot more story and more interesting than a raid. Or are you actually trying to disguise "where's my mythic level loot" as a request for more rewarding gameplay?
    Considering how casual friendly SL was, from a loot power perspective, I honestly don't think some people will stop their crusade until they can literally get mythic raid loot for farming a few WQ per day. Then they will realise if everyone is powerful, noone is powerful, and that will be that.

    I don't remember a time in wows history, outside of some prepatches or final patches months after the final raid was done, when players had access to gear of such a high quality compared to raid and pvp gear. Still not enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I like WillE just as much as the next guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    i have several gay friends at work, and i know at least 6 other gay people

  3. #803
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    And what was taken away? Dungeons, battlegrounds, professions, reputations.... All of those things were rendered pointless for progression for casual players. It was replaced with fucking world quests and other horseshit, time gated farming.
    Did you miss the mega dungeons? Did you miss the new reputations? Did you miss the new recipies? It's like you don't even play the game at all and haven't since wod.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    Glad to know you are content with the non-raiders having the leftovers while the "superior beings" that are raiders, enjoy full access to the game while artificially gating others from it too.
    Are you on a different sub? What sort of price is the sub where you don't have access to any organised content because I would prefer to pay less to have heroic raiding up and pvp content removed. Or are you just lying again.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Blizzard needs to create content that isn't raids, dungeons, or pvp.

    I'm 1000% serious on this. "Casual" players don't really want easy raids. Easy raids are just a ride at a theme park that you do a couple of times then get bored of. LFR, for all its controversy, was probably one of the most useless tools in player retention overall. It does nothing for more serious raiders, and casual players only ride it a few times before they're bored of it. Most only do it once. I realize that WoW is "raid or die" mentality, but you're leaning too much into "die" right now.

    Healthy MMO communities have a huge diversity of players. People who participate in one aspect of the game, people who participate in another, etc. I've had guilds where all of us did somewhat different things. But we were friends who came together and had fun together in a shared space. Some were casual, some were hardcore. Some were raiders, some were not.

    You remove all of those players who don't want to raid, dungeon, or pvp? You're left with a dead game, because most of the higher end raiders, aside from WFR, clear the raid then don't log in for the next 8 months. Either that or or they're a midcore raid and they raid every week, but even then they really only log on to do daily grind. If they didn't have the daily grind and consumables to farm for, most of them would only log in for raid (Source: entire experience of vanilla through MoP)

    Player communities are insanely important to the health of an MMO going forward. Blizzard could develop tools to promote communities again. They could focus some of their energy on cool stuff to do that anyone can do. Fun and exciting group content that's repeatable, that gives you a reason to log on and play outside of your raid obsession.

    But I get the feeling they're just going to make this expansion all about raids, dungeons and pvp like they always do, then wonder why their revenue is way way down. That and I get the feeling that most of the toxic parts of the community have been distilled down and concentrated into WoW, as most of the people are leaving for other games where you can't be toxic.
    Maybe they should create a new zone with over 100 quests with treasures and progression through gear and a world boss and rares and an upgrade system and dailies and a reputation and world quests and optional world pvp and lore...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    No you can't. I basically got everything i was even remotely interested in SL in 2 months. And that included leveling 3 alts. That's hardly "forever".
    Yes you can. Just because you got what you wanted doesn't mean there isn't more to get
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

  4. #804
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    Glad to know you are content with the non-raiders having the leftovers while the "superior beings" that are raiders, enjoy full access to the game while artificially gating others from it too.
    What on EARTH are you talking about? Seriously this is so, SO delusional. CHOOSING to do raids does not grant you access to ANYTHING that is not also avaialble to people who CHOOSE not to - its the CHOICE that the player makes. There is no 'artificial gating" there are people forming groups, and you might not get invited if you dont meet their standard. If thats the case, you can gear up to a level never before seen in wows history, outside of prepatches / final patches after the expansion is done, do some LFR, and get into normal.

    ACCESS..........holy shit dude, this is next level confusing. Do raiders pay a "raiders sub" and you pay a "non raiders sub" which means you cant physically get in the raids?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    No you can't. I basically got everything i was even remotely interested in SL in 2 months. And that included leveling 3 alts. That's hardly "forever".
    So you CHOSE to stop and thats someone elses fault? Back in the day, if i went to the local blockbuster, and rented a movie, i left with one movie which i chose. That doesnt mean blockbuster only had one movie....
    Last edited by arkanon; 2022-05-18 at 03:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I like WillE just as much as the next guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    i have several gay friends at work, and i know at least 6 other gay people

  5. #805
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    32,001
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Because you are afraid of the changes that have been made - you said yourself (or at least agreed) the changes have only been over the last 5 years - change is good, isnt it?.
    In that case BfA and Shadowlands have been really splendid and quite popular with players. Right?

    One can observe change in something over time and make an assessment as to whether or not it's been something good or otherwise. That has zero to do with fear. I don't even know how one comes to that conclusion.

    After the endless bitching about the last two expansions this sudden outlook that change might be a bad thing is bizarre.
    "Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game" — Soren Johnson (Civilization III/IV designer)

  6. #806
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    In that case BfA and Shadowlands have been really splendid and quite popular with players. Right?

    One can observe change in something over time and make an assessment as to whether or not it's been something good or otherwise. That has zero to do with fear. I don't even know how one comes to that conclusion.

    After the endless bitching about the last two expansions this sudden outlook that change might be a bad thing is bizarre.
    Bizarre? Change is what put you in this situation. And yet you claim that more change is good? You need to acknowledge some change can be good, some bad. You claim the previous change was bad, and also ASSUME your proposed change would automatically be received well. Its just bias, nothing more.
    Last edited by arkanon; 2022-05-18 at 03:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I like WillE just as much as the next guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    i have several gay friends at work, and i know at least 6 other gay people

  7. #807
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    So you CHOSE to stop and thats someone elses fault? Back in the day, if i went to the local blockbuster, and rented a movie, i left with one movie which i chose. That doesnt mean blockbuster only had one movie....
    So it would also be ok to only put in only one m+ dungeon since you can always play it on a higher difficulty and never run out of content to do? And no new raids, too, apparently barely anyone kills the last boss on mythic, there is enough content out there for raiders until the majority did that.
    Last edited by Yriel; 2022-05-18 at 07:40 AM.

  8. #808
    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    So it would also be ok to only put in only one m+ dungeon since you can always play it on a higher difficulty and never run out of content to do?
    That has absolutely NOTHING to do with what i said. At all. Thats some max tier strawmanning right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I like WillE just as much as the next guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    i have several gay friends at work, and i know at least 6 other gay people

  9. #809
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibiki View Post
    I'm very disappointed with whole announcement. No single world about casual and solo players.
    Imo Ion again will focus on raiders and make ppl quit fast.
    Not unsympathetic to this argument but Wow has always been excessively focused on elitism. If you weren't a raider you didn't see the end of the expansion. F***ing dumb to cut 80% of your players out of that when lore is literally nothing to do with raiding, I suppose at least there is lfr for that now.

    But if they changed it so that most people could actually participate in endgame, you'd get asmongold et al crying about how the game used to be difficult and now it caters for special snowflakes who suck etc.

  10. #810
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I'm not a casual player so no quest, to me, is hard. I just want to be clear that I personally didn't use the word 'hard' when describing quests.


    I would say that there are definitely some challenging quests back then, like Mankrik's wife. It could be considered easy if you knew where to look. You literally just have to find the corpse and click it and go back to get your reward. The quest itself isn't hard. But it could be considered hard if you didn't know what you're looking for, and it could take you months to figure out where to look. The challenge is in your persistence in exploration, in your resourcefulness to look for clues or answers, and in your own luck. If you're lucky or particularly intuitive or have friends who know where to look, then it's an easy quest. If you don't, then it might be a hard quest. Overall, I call that challenging, because it's a quest that challenges the player to find their own solution. Today, a quest like that would be a marker on your minimap with arrows pointing you the way.

    Otherwise, if you are asking what kind of hard content I was doing, the greatest solo achievement that comes to my mind that felt compellingly rewarding is probably getting the Sandstone Drake Archaeology/Alchemy mount, or the Blood Sail Admiral achievement and rewards. Again, I'm not a casual player, so the content I was doing back then isn't reflective of what other people were doing with their time and the content we had at the time. I am more of a power gamer/speed runner type of player, so I cheese my way through content as fast and efficiently as possible.
    I enjoyed that style of game too but those things were so long ago. I guess my point is that the game has changed away from that a very long time ago people would be better off accepting that instead of fantasizing about wow returning to that style.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    Yeah but back then it wasn't true. The game started dying in cataclysm, that's when they started to lose subscribers and then it started to accelerate greatly when Ion's design philosophy started to show back in MOP and it's been dying at a steady pace since then.
    If its been dying at a steady pace since mop, which was released in 2012, im really not too worried lol

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    A good portion of that five years has been BfA and Shadowlands. Tell me that another five years of the "game being that way" is the best forward path. I never said or even implied that WoW is dying. It's doing fine. It could do even better if it provided an engaging and long-term end game for players who don't do M+ or raid. Why so afraid of change?
    You talked about ppl saying wow is failing.

    My point is im not the one afraid of change. The game changed in a big way years ago and there's ppl on here still not accepting that. Ppl want to go back to how the game used to be and not this "esport driven" style it is now as some refer to it.

    If the game changes away from what I enjoy about it, ill simply stop playing it and find a game that I do enjoy. You won't catch me on mmochamp 5 years afterwards still demanding that the game goes back

  11. #811
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    If its been dying at a steady pace since mop, which was released in 2012, im really not too worried lol
    I'm reminded of Heminway's comment about the two ways to go bankrupt: gradually, then suddenly.

    The game could appear to be doing ok, but declining toward a state where it can no longer sustain sufficient reinvestment. At that point, it collapses.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The greatest use of a life is to spend it on something that will outlast it." -- William James
    "The Oculus, but it's the whole expansion!" -- Brianna Royce, Massively OP, on Dragon Riding

  12. #812
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I'm reminded of Heminway's comment about the two ways to go bankrupt: gradually, then suddenly.

    The game could appear to be doing ok, but declining toward a state where it can no longer sustain sufficient reinvestment. At that point, it collapses.
    If i had a dollar for every time someone predicted the downfall of wow, id have more money than the doomsayes think wow is worth.

  13. #813
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    If i had a dollar for every time someone predicted the downfall of wow, id have more money than the doomsayes think wow is worth.
    Yes, nothing can go wrong because nothing has gone wrong. /s You completely missed the point of the argument I was making.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The greatest use of a life is to spend it on something that will outlast it." -- William James
    "The Oculus, but it's the whole expansion!" -- Brianna Royce, Massively OP, on Dragon Riding

  14. #814
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Yes, nothing can go wrong because nothing has gone wrong. /s You completely missed the point of the argument I was making.
    Oh I understood your point, you're just not the first person in 17 years to make that point. I think chicken little was the first one I heard it from

  15. #815
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    That has absolutely NOTHING to do with what i said. At all. Thats some max tier strawmanning right there.
    Nah thats exactly what you said. I didn't camp 100 hours for some obscure rare spawn mob that drops a recolor of a mount i already have 3 versions of? TheErE Is stIlL ConTEnT yOU cHOsE Not TO dO!!!

  16. #816
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,458
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    That has absolutely NOTHING to do with what i said. At all. Thats some max tier strawmanning right there.
    Hold on, you were the one that mentioned blockbuster. You started the strawman.

  17. #817
    Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    Hold on, you were the one that mentioned blockbuster. You started the strawman.
    Yes - it was used as a very accurate comparison - if you walk into blockbuster and only rent one movie because thats all you like, that does not mean the blockbuster only has one movie. The other "example" is not related at all.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    Nah thats exactly what you said. I didn't camp 100 hours for some obscure rare spawn mob that drops a recolor of a mount i already have 3 versions of? TheErE Is stIlL ConTEnT yOU cHOsE Not TO dO!!!
    An absolutely ridiculous example, arguing from the most extreme of extremes, because even then, yes - that is entirely true.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    So it would also be ok to only put in only one m+ dungeon since you can always play it on a higher difficulty and never run out of content to do? And no new raids, too, apparently barely anyone kills the last boss on mythic, there is enough content out there for raiders until the majority did that.
    The irony is, all this post does is prove you do not understand the example at all. Using your "logic", what im saying is you cant go into blockbuster, with 8,000 movies on the shelf, pick ONE movie you do like, then say "they had no movies, just this one, their selection sux".

    Using your mythic example, its blizzard releasing 12 dungeons, and someone running their favorite dungeon and ONLY their favorite dungeon over and over again, while ignoring all the others, then saying "there is only one dungeons in this game".

    For every 500 people doing 1/2/3 and saying there is nothing else in the game to do, there are 500 players doing X/Y/Z and saying the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I like WillE just as much as the next guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    i have several gay friends at work, and i know at least 6 other gay people

  18. #818
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Using your mythic example, its blizzard releasing 12 dungeons, and someone running their favorite dungeon and ONLY their favorite dungeon over and over again, while ignoring all the others, then saying "there is only one dungeons in this game".

    For every 500 people doing 1/2/3 and saying there is nothing else in the game to do, there are 500 players doing X/Y/Z and saying the same thing.
    No it isn't. You are saying that there is still content left, even if it's a boring repetetive copy of stuff people already did 50 times. How is that different than saying that until you haven't done m+ 34 of one dungeon you still have content left? Or until you killed the mythic raid endboss you still have content left? It's exactly the same.
    Your silly Blockbuster comparison is so far off that i won't even argue with that.

  19. #819
    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    No it isn't. You are saying that there is still content left, even if it's a boring repetetive copy of stuff people already did 50 times. How is that different than saying that until you haven't done m+ 34 of one dungeon you still have content left? Or until you killed the mythic raid endboss you still have content left? It's exactly the same.
    Your silly Blockbuster comparison is so far off that i won't even argue with that.
    "I don't like the content" is NOT the same as "there is no content". You can't seem to understand that.
    Last edited by arkanon; 2022-05-18 at 08:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I like WillE just as much as the next guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    i have several gay friends at work, and i know at least 6 other gay people

  20. #820
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    "I don't like the content" is BOT the same as "there is no content". You can't seem to understand that.
    (BOT = NOT, I assume)

    It's just a different failure mode on the devs' parts. In one case they didn't make any content, in the other they failed to make content that appealed to the customer. In neither case is it the customer's fault. No customer is under some sort of bizarre obligation to like content that was provided, just because it exists.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The greatest use of a life is to spend it on something that will outlast it." -- William James
    "The Oculus, but it's the whole expansion!" -- Brianna Royce, Massively OP, on Dragon Riding

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •