Page 1 of 41
... LastLast

"Catering to 5% of your player base will leave you with 5% of your player base"

I'm very disappointed with whole announcement. No single world about casual and solo players.
    Imo Ion again will focus on raiders and make ppl quit fast.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibiki View Post
    I'm very disappointed with whole announcement. No single world about casual and solo players.
    all "content" they showed is for both casual, solo and hardcore players even "dragon flying"
    Im not hyped at all but just wait to see what dragonflight gonna bring into game.
    THERE IS RENOWN -.-

After six years of Ion as the game director, I don't think it should be any surprise that Ion is going to Ion. WoW won't change until he is replaced.

I dont agree that they cater to 5% of the player base. The game is more casual and more solo now then it ever has been.

However that being said. Ion is a dumb shit and needs to be fired. How can you suck so much at your job and not be fired yet? You, me and anyone else, if we sucked that much over that length of time at what we do for a living, we would be fired and fired awhile ago. It is insane that he still works there.

Are you upset that Ion didn't stare straight into the camera and say your full legal name followed by the words, "who is absolutely 100% correct about all of the game's issues and will be flown first class to Irvine, CA so that they can be personally consulted for every change made to the game from here until the end of time"?
    Last edited by Relapses; 2022-04-19 at 09:57 PM.

uhhh they've been catering to less than 5% of their playerbase for almost 20 years, and its working out great for them. stop your fucking crying, we havent even seen everything they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    uhhh they've been catering to less than 5% of their playerbase for almost 20 years, and its working out great for them. stop your fucking crying, we havent even seen everything they're doing.
    to be quite honest, outside of influx of hyped up casuals, they would actually benefit quite a bit by satiating there core audience rather than the guys who quit after 3 weeks.

now don't get me wrong, I don't think the "top 1% mythic raiders" qualifies as there core audience but realistically the guys who stick around and play are there greatest marketing tool possible, if they're having fun and are engaged and invested in the game, they will bring all there casual friends in to play anyway.

Dragonriding.
    New class/race.
    Overhauled proffessions.
    "More focus on exploration".
    A lot of the presentation was also about the zones itself.
    I'd even go so far and say that reworking old systems/talent points are more casual friendly than something new and convoluted.

Where the f**k do you see the 5% in this? Maybe watch this clown you posted less and think more for yourself.

If you are a solo player - and you can't find anything to do in a catalog of 18 years of game development - then you are not a solo player. You are just solo - in your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Caprias View Post
    Dragonriding
    Gimmick that will be forgotten, just like class order halls, mage tower, warfronts, island expeditions, covenants, and chorghast.

New class/race.
    So? Legion introduced new races and classes too and didn't stop it from being a raider's expansion.

Overhauled proffessions.
    So far that just amounts to being able to post buy orders on the AH like in GW2 or EVE Online. Nothing about actually revamping the gameplay of crafting, let alone making the stuff created by it relevant.

"More focus on exploration".
    I'll see it when I believe it, but the post-WoD zone design of WoW is anti-exploration.

A lot of the presentation was also about the zones itself.
    Which look incredibly bland and claustrophobic.

I'd even go so far and say that reworking old systems/talent points are more casual friendly than something new and convoluted.
    I actually liked the MoP talent system.

Quote Originally Posted by Caprias View Post
    Where the f**k do you see the 5% in this?
    Because they're not addressing the abysmal lack of casual content. You'll do the four questing zones over a weekend and then all you're left with is mythic dungeons and doing the latest raid for 9 months.

This is true for many games these days. Especially the ones that desperately try to be e-sports. What the top 'athletes' want is an entirely different game than the ones that they climbed their way up on the ladder throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Gimmick that will be forgotten, just like class order halls, mage tower, warfronts, island expeditions, covenants, and chorghast.
    Or it will replace the main mode of transport for this expansion and the ones that follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    So very this. I mean sure I don't think they will ever give a fuck but when players like me who paid x18 years simply unsub I mean they should really see something is not going well.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it is and kindly tell me what major achievement can one get SOLO in wow? How far can pugs go? 2k pvp and 2-3 bosses mythic? Even the high end M+ can't be done solo grouping not without major pains that are NOT worth it.
    How far can you go in a soccer game - if you don't like soccer?

How can you be rich - if you don't have to work?

You are asking the right questions - keep going.

Try this - is the game or the players who are setting the standard?

Literally everhthing they showed in trailer will be available for casuals and solo players.

I think 5% and 95% are switched in your head. Otherwise your comment doesn't make any sense.

They literally told you "the zones have much more to explore than SL zones". Like what do you even want? You get more solo content than in SL, how is that catering to the 5%?

I'm just hoping they don't continue the belf overload.

Between 9.2.5 having Quel'thalas do more stuff for belfs against the San'layn and the Reliquary heading up the expedition, there's almost nothing for the rest of the Horde atm.

EDIT:

Where are the Tauren who care about elements? Where are the Zandalari Historians? Where are the Penitent Dragonmaw?
    Twas brillig

What did they show that only catered to 5% of the player base?

15+ Year Old Account
    Spicy hot take circa 2008. Catering to casuals in wrath was what made wow start being bad in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Spicy hot take circa 2008. Catering to casuals in wrath was what made wow start being bad in the first place
    Did you forget the part where WotLK was the most successful expansion Blizzard ever released?

There was a whole interview from Jeremy Feasel stating that there is a renown system, but unlike Shadowlands, it's used in ALL factions and not just individual ones.

Looking back extends to recent history too, taking elements from an expansion like Shadowlands and reimagining them for the return to Azeroth. “You're going to be seeing an advancement to the renowned system that we used in Covenants [Shadowlands], which we think is a really cool way to set up a reputation in a way that feels fresh for World Warcraft,” Jeremy Feasel says. “Our four main reputations each have their own different set of renowned levels and that lets us reward you often. It lets us show you what you're getting during the course of unlocking various different things, whether that's cool cosmetics associated with those reputations or getting additional quest lines associated with them or additional gameplay.”

“We wanted to go really deep with all of these different aspects,” Jeremy adds. “The new version of daily quests is going to be transferring over to a very activity-centric system that feels like you're always making progress. And unlike Covenants, you don't have to pick one of these different reputations to gain renown. You can do all of them. We’re looking at how we can incorporate alt friendliness in the same way that we did in 9.1.5 too, so it’s all a big refresh to the outdoor world.
    Source here