Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Does anyone else feel embarrassed that the Dracthyr lore creates a huge plot hole?

I mean, Nefarian spent years creating chromatic dragons that wielded 5 dragon powers at once, and even when Deathwing personally continued these experiments, they had problems reviving Chromatus. Chromatic dragons simply died, apparently due to an overabundance of power. But now it turns out that once upon a time Neltharion simply created an entire race of Drakonids who wielded all 5 powers of the Aspects without any restrictions or consequences? Amazing
    Last edited by darkoms; 2022-04-19 at 11:46 PM.

Anyone who expected anything but retcons born of willful ignorance from Danuser and team has clearly had his head in the sand for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkoms View Post
    I mean, Nefarian spent years creating chromatic dragons that wielded 5 dragon powers at once, and even when Deathwing personally continued these experiments, they had problems reviving Chromatus. Chromatic dragons simply died, apparently due to an overabundance of power. But now it turns out that once upon a time Neltharion simply created an entire race of Drakonids who wielded all 5 powers of the Aspects without any restrictions or consequences? Amazing
    Not that big of a deal. The trouble was creating true chromatic dragons, not these comparatively puny dragon/mortal hybrids.

I feel like in the wake of several revelations brought about by the Jailer this is uh.... relatively easy to look past.

Could be a plot hole, could yet be explained.
    I mean i am of course expecting plot holes, but not of this size in particular.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    So how is this any different from the mountain of retcons and plotholes that already exist and that have yet to come?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Or it could just be that he made these first and once he saw the potential he wanted actual chromatic dragons and not weak mortal level fakes so this is what pushes him to start trying to get real chromatic dragons which didn’t work out for the longes time.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

I'm not really sure what people expect from Blizzard anymore when it comes to story/writing/lore. It's awful. It's been awful for years and it's not going to suddenly get better. Look at how they ended their grand "20 year arc" with Shadowlands. It's bad. Every expansion in recent years they have retconned both major and minor events just because they thin x looks cool or y would sound better. It's sad to say but if you're playing the game for the story anymore, you're just in it for disappointment.
    "Honor, young heroes. No matter how dire the battle, never forsake it."
    Varok Saurfang

Given the Helm of Domination/Jailer/Burning Legion screw up that the Shadowlands retcons caused, the answer is to just not think about it, because Blizzard clearly doesn't.

Not an invalid point, but I guess there's possible outs.

Maybe the dracthyr were exactly WHY Deathwing tried to create chromatic dragons - he successfully did it before with the dracthyr, but they're fairly small and nowhere near as powerful or durable as actual dragons. So he tried to recreate his previous success on a different scale, but it turned out that there's problems if you scale things up.

They say Neltharion created them because he saw a potential in mortals he wanted to use. Considering he came to despise mortals as Deathwing, if that potential was key in the cromatic powers, it makes sense he'd start over from scratch to find a way that worked for true dragons

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    The Dracthyr appear to be failures from Neltharion's point of view - the Chromatic dragons were intended to be actual dragons, with all the power and physical might that entails, able to wield the power of every flight. The Dracthyr, while able to wield multiple sets of power, can only do so on a limited "mortal" level - making them no more powerful than your average humanoid spellcaster. That's probably not what Neltharion was gunning for, and the Chromatic and Twilight flights are continued iterations on the same theme.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

5+ Year Old Account
    I wonder on which part of the globe will be the isles located, since on the other side there is still ocean and it’s unoccupied.

There's one problem.... Nefarian didn't make the Drak'thyr, it was actually Neltharion.. aka Deathwing.

"Neltharion, later known as Deathwing, created the ideal solider in the Dracthyr—a race with both a humanoid and draconic form that brandish the power of all five dragonflights." - The actual press kit and Blue Post from the trailer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    I wonder on which part of the globe will be the isles located, since on the other side there is still ocean and it’s unoccupied.
    They said in an interview that it's in the North East... My guess is probably between Northrend and Quel'Danas.. or even a little further behind Quel'Danas.

Honestly I like it. It makes sense that his experimentation started somewhere, before he was corrupted, and would bleed into his projects afterward. Maybe he was trying to recreate the Dracthyr after they were "lost" when the Dragon Isles started losing their elemental power, and every attempt either led to failure, or he wanted something even more Draconic.

Compared to the shitstorm that was Shadowlands lore, I kind of missed this "minor retcon discussion" thats actually interesting and lighthearted.

Have you considered that these are Chromatic dragons without overabundance of power? Clearly not strong enough for Deathwing since they arent true dragons.
    Maybe they grew naturally after Deathwing/Neltharion just ditched them when he saw they werent proper dragons.

Daddy deathwing went to the gas station and never came back. Only time will tell what their lore is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it in lore that all dracthyr control all powers of all aspects, or is it just gameplay reasons that one dracthyr can wield all powers? Like if there are two specs, can both specs use powers from all colors or is it like that green is only for healer etc.? Because lore reasons != gameplay reasons. Also saying that Nefarian couldn't do something doesn't mean Neltharion couldn't do something. I bet Nefarian couldn't have created Dragon Soul either, even if he tried. Everything doesn't have to be stupid retcons and plot holes when you get 2 minutes of initial information (but not saying it can't turn out that way).

Considering the difference in scale and power between a full blown dragon and the walking furry bait that are the Dracthyr and that Nefarian was explicitly aping his dad, who was actually sane at the time he made these things, that one would work and the other wouldn't isn't a plot hole, let alone a huge one. Especially not given the cavernous depths dragon lore is usually at, see anything about the Bronze.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2022-04-20 at 06:11 AM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its also interesting that the dracthyr use red blue green and bronze.

There is no mention of the black. You would think Neltharion would use his own aspect.

depends on how they paint their story

some possible solutions for the lore inconsitency:

-Neltharion was much smarter than Deathwing
    -He didn't create them with all 5 powers, but they evolved/learned to use all 5 in the 10k years
    -it was a colaborative effort where all the other Dragon Aspects lended some power to the Dracthyrs, like they did with the Dragon Soul