Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Moderator Cloudmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Celestial Planetarium
    Posts
    1,685
    I thought they mentioned five zones.
    Behold my new creation!


  2. #22
    The zones are generally much more dense, though I do miss the big open areas of early WoW.

  3. #23
    The Insane Chickat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    19,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenbolone View Post
    4 Zones, 4 Dungeons...
    4 zones, with the continent being larger than average. 8 dungeons.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    I thought they mentioned five zones.
    One is a starting zone, so it’s questionable how much interaction we’ll have there. It could be a broken shore/maw type zone down the line? Dunno.

  5. #25
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    35,626
    Quote Originally Posted by cone of cold View Post
    4 level up zones, plus the Drac'thyr starting zone, which will be significantly smaller, because they start at level 58. They will be about as big as Death Knight and Demon Hunter zones, if that.

    So only 4 real new zones. Even in recent expansions, before Shadowlands, like in MoP, WoD, Legion and BFA, we've always at least gotten 5-6 zones. Now since Shadowlands (The Maw doesn't count), and continuing on into Dragonflight, the new standard is 4 zones.

    We used to have double as much. WotLK had 8, not counting the 2 empty zones. TBC had 7, and if you count the starter zones as well it had 11.

    And all of the zones look very bland to be honest. Everything looks like something we've already seen before.
    Dragonflight: 5 new zones, 4 leveling, 1 end-game. Technically, 6 zones, as there's a starting zone too. More might happen in a patch.
    Shadowlands: 5 new zones, 4 leveling, 1 end-game. Two more were added with patches.
    Battle For Azeroth: 6 new zones, 6 leveling, no end-game. Two more were added with patches.
    Legion: 5 new zones, 4 leveling, 1 end-game. Technically, 6 zones, as there's a starting zone too. Two more were added with patches.
    Warlords of Draenor: 7 new zones, 6 leveling, 1 base/pvp. 1 zone was added with a patch.
    Mists of Pandaria: 7 new zones, 7 leveling zones. Two were added with patches.
    Cataclysm: 8 new zones, 5 leveling zones, 1 PvP zone, 2 starting zones. And of course, a ton of updated zones.
    Wrath of the Lich King: 10 new zones, 9 leveling zones, one PvP zone.
    The Burning Crusade: 7 new leveling zones. Technically, 11 zones, as there's added Draenei and Blood Elves.
    World of Warcraft: A lot of leveling zones, more stuff added with additional content of expansions.


    I believe I've most likely missed a count or few, but the new content with zone amount, seems fine, as well, they are apparently to be quite large as well.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  6. #26
    A big continent like northrend or pandaria would have been awesome. I felt bfa and shadowlands had nothing to explore

  7. #27
    The Insane Chickat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    19,049
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Counting zones as a measure of anything is dumb. It's the content that's within them that matters (quality and quanitity).
    And even if its the number of zones someone cares about, that's likely due to scale of the continent. Blizzard could make a 1 zone expansion, but if the zone were as big as Northrend, obviously that's a ton of playable area.

    They already said the continent was very large. We know how big they are in comparison to each other.

    There is a map from Legion. Someone used ground mounts to measure the time in seconds it took to get from multiple corners of each continent to the other.

    There was one for BFA as well, but I cant find it. If I remember right, BFA was like 13.5k 7.k for Zandalar, and 6.5k for Kultiras or something like that.

    Anyways here is the Map.




    As you can see, to be in the top of the largest continents, would have to put it in the top 4 lets say. That would put it anywhere from 13-15k pixels. So very large.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    The zones are generally much more dense, though I do miss the big open areas of early WoW.
    Good news. They mentioned that the continent will have more negative space. Space in which there is less content density, so that the Dragon riding feels better, and so that the world feels more like a real place. Especially considering you will be moving faster than EPIC flying mount speed in the first patch of the expansion.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Dragonflight: 5 new zones, 4 leveling, 1 end-game. Technically, 6 zones, as there's a starting zone too. More might happen in a patch.
    Shadowlands: 5 new zones, 4 leveling, 1 end-game. Two more were added with patches.
    Battle For Azeroth: 6 new zones, 6 leveling, no end-game. Two more were added with patches.
    Legion: 5 new zones, 4 leveling, 1 end-game. Technically, 6 zones, as there's a starting zone too. Two more were added with patches.
    Warlords of Draenor: 7 new zones, 6 leveling, 1 base/pvp. 1 zone was added with a patch.
    Mists of Pandaria: 7 new zones, 7 leveling zones. Two were added with patches.
    Cataclysm: 8 new zones, 5 leveling zones, 1 PvP zone, 2 starting zones. And of course, a ton of updated zones.
    Wrath of the Lich King: 10 new zones, 9 leveling zones, one PvP zone.
    The Burning Crusade: 7 new leveling zones. Technically, 11 zones, as there's added Draenei and Blood Elves.
    World of Warcraft: A lot of leveling zones, more stuff added with additional content of expansions.


    I believe I've most likely missed a count or few, but the new content with zone amount, seems fine, as well, they are apparently to be quite large as well.
    This is wrong. There are 4 zones, no end game zone, plus 1 dragon starting zone. We don't know if that zone will have any content for max level players, but we do know that for launch there are only 4 zones with no max level zone.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by exsanguinate View Post
    A big continent like northrend or pandaria would have been awesome. I felt bfa and shadowlands had nothing to explore
    Pandaria is one of the smallest continents they have ever added. Northrend was roughly 70% bigger.

  8. #28
    Honestly I would like when they are done setting up the zones, just scale them an extra 10x. That space doesnt need to be filled with extra content, just to bring about the feeling of massive distances.

  9. #29
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    35,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    This is wrong. There are 4 zones, no end game zone, plus 1 dragon starting zone. We don't know if that zone will have any content for max level players, but we do know that for launch there are only 4 zones with no max level zone.
    Then there is an error in their development, or they hold back the fifth zone. For there is meant to be a zone for each main Dragonflight. This is why I came to the belief that there are at least 5. So, we'll have a zone coming in a patch then, the minimum.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  10. #30
    The Insane Chickat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    19,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Then there is an error in their development, or they hold back the fifth zone. For there is meant to be a zone for each main Dragonflight. This is why I came to the belief that there are at least 5. So, we'll have a zone coming in a patch then, the minimum.
    Nope, 2 flights share the first zone. 1 flight gets the second, Third zone gets 2, and the last zone has no dedicated flight.

    1.Waking shores. Red and Black dragon shared.
    2. Ohn’ahran Plains, green Dragonflight.
    3. The Azure Span, Blue Dragon flight.
    4. Thaldraszus, Bronze flight, and also where the capital city is and the titan stronghold. You finish leveling here.

    5. Drakthyr only zone called Forbidden Reach. Its an island further off the coast of the main Dragon Isles. It may or may not have content later on in the expansion, but for launch its only for the Drakthyr.
    Last edited by Chickat; 2022-04-22 at 08:09 AM.

  11. #31
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    35,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Nope, 2 flights share the first zone. 1 flight gets the second, Third zone gets 2, and the last zone has no dedicated flight.

    1.Waking shores. Red and Black dragon shared.
    2. Ohn’ahran Plains, green Dragonflight.
    3. The Azure Span, Blue and Bronze flights.
    4. Thaldraszus, No dedicated flight, but where the capital city is and the titan stronghold. You finish leveling here.

    5. Drakthyr only zone called Forbidden Reach. Its an island further off the coast of the main Dragon Isles. It may or may not have content later on in the expansion, but for launch its only for the Drakthyr.
    Huh. That is silly, as they explained each zone had a connection to a specific flight. I know Forbidden Reach was created by Deathwing, but feels weird to merge in flights when they've through decades of content, been assigned locations separately, except for Wyrmrest Temple.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  12. #32
    Also, old xpacs like WotLK, TBC, MoP, even BFA had multiple words in their titles. As many as five!

    Now we only get one word in the title ?! Just "Dragonflight"
    Ridiculous!
    SorryNotSorry

  13. #33
    The Insane Chickat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    19,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Huh. That is silly, as they explained each zone had a connection to a specific flight. I know Forbidden Reach was created by Deathwing, but feels weird to merge in flights when they've through decades of content, been assigned locations separately, except for Wyrmrest Temple.
    Might be silly but its what they are doing. Look it up if you don't believe me.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Then there is an error in their development, or they hold back the fifth zone. For there is meant to be a zone for each main Dragonflight. This is why I came to the belief that there are at least 5. So, we'll have a zone coming in a patch then, the minimum.
    Think of it this way here:
    Do you really think they would make a zone only for the Dracthyr leveling experience (for a measly intro), an Isle that is literally part of the other dragon isles btw, and not want to make use of it asap? Demon hunter zone (and Broken Shore) was not part of the initial zone count of Legion. This time they definitely specified this extra zone as part of the zone count though! I bet we will only see a section of it when we level the Dracthyr, with the rest of it being explored as the max level zone later. My educated assumption and 2 cents.

  15. #35
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    35,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Might be silly but its what they are doing. Look it up if you don't believe me.
    Naw, I did look it up, hence I wrote it was silly. Oh well. I foresee another zone or two added (Or zones updated, I'm looking at you two, Caverns of Time and Dragonblight) with patches.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Then there is an error in their development, or they hold back the fifth zone. For there is meant to be a zone for each main Dragonflight. This is why I came to the belief that there are at least 5. So, we'll have a zone coming in a patch then, the minimum.
    Or this is where old world revamps come into play. We are getting an Uldaman remake, and Halls of Origination added to Mythic+.

  17. #37
    The Insane Chickat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    19,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Naw, I did look it up, hence I wrote it was silly. Oh well. I foresee another zone or two added (Or zones updated, I'm looking at you two, Caverns of Time and Dragonblight) with patches.
    I think we will probably only get 1 more zone in a patch. My theory is that they will turn the Drakthyr into the first zone, and the last zone will be a time based zone with the infinite dragonflight.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    And even if its the number of zones someone cares about, that's likely due to scale of the continent. Blizzard could make a 1 zone expansion, but if the zone were as big as Northrend, obviously that's a ton of playable area.

    They already said the continent was very large. We know how big they are in comparison to each other.

    There is a map from Legion. Someone used ground mounts to measure the time in seconds it took to get from multiple corners of each continent to the other.

    There was one for BFA as well, but I cant find it. If I remember right, BFA was like 13.5k 7.k for Zandalar, and 6.5k for Kultiras or something like that.

    Anyways here is the Map.




    As you can see, to be in the top of the largest continents, would have to put it in the top 4 lets say. That would put it anywhere from 13-15k pixels. So very large.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Good news. They mentioned that the continent will have more negative space. Space in which there is less content density, so that the Dragon riding feels better, and so that the world feels more like a real place. Especially considering you will be moving faster than EPIC flying mount speed in the first patch of the expansion.

    - - - Updated - - -



    This is wrong. There are 4 zones, no end game zone, plus 1 dragon starting zone. We don't know if that zone will have any content for max level players, but we do know that for launch there are only 4 zones with no max level zone.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Pandaria is one of the smallest continents they have ever added. Northrend was roughly 70% bigger.
    I don't know why, but I suspect that Dragon Isles will be comparable to Northrend. It's the only expansion continent that has a much more limiting draw distance compared to other continents because of its scale. Them increasing that draw distance is a sign of something similar to that scale.

  19. #39
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    35,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigman View Post
    Or this is where old world revamps come into play. We are getting an Uldaman remake, and Halls of Origination added to Mythic+.
    Oh, HoO has been confirmed? Thought they were going for the vanilla ones.. Sad

    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I think we will probably only get 1 more zone in a patch. My theory is that they will turn the Drakthyr into the first zone, and the last zone will be a time based zone with the infinite dragonflight.
    Well, I'm expecting an update on Dragonblight and Caverns of Time through the expansion. Unsure about the starting zone, unless Deathwing made it to hide something, and the race placed on it, are there to protect something.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  20. #40
    Stood in the Fire Hastis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    by fire be purged
    Posts
    434
    we really need zones like frostfire ridge, which are much larger and empty than this what we got now. I would doubt they will be bigger but they announce dragon flying so in order to make flying nice the zone will have to be big

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •