Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    I don't see where it says that. Feasel even says this at one point. "Also, we don't want to invalidate all of the many hundreds of mounts that our players have collected up until now.” To me, that says that flying mounts will work but there are some things you won't be able to do on them and you will have to use the Dragonriding mount. I think Wowhead is wrong here. It's not replacing flying, it's supplementing it.
    No WoWhead's author confirmed that "no [traditional] flying" was told to them. To back that up, look at Blizzplanet's interview (https://warcraft.blizzplanet.com/blo...-and-tina-wang)

Robin: To continue with the dragonriding a little bit, I know we’re going to start working on that from like the beginning of the expansion, essentially. That’s what was said. I was curious if you guys know how that will work with unlocking like general flying and mounts later in the expansion, have you talked about that or talk through that process at all yet?

Jackie (senior quest designer): So like your normal flying is something that we’re not looking at right now. It’s a conversation we have in the future, but for now we’re really focused on the dragonriding and the momentum, gravity-based flying, and iterating on that with our players for alpha and beta.

Tina (associate art director): One thing that is super exciting with this dragonriding is that eventually as you become extremely advanced at it, you will be able to fly significantly faster than normal speed is. So you’ll be able to traverse the Dragon Isles effectively.
    While not saying that "normal" flying is out, the Devs are clearly focused on this new Dragon Riding (probably to the exclusion to or replacement of "normal" flying).

Granted if the outcry is loud enough, Devs would probable reconsider it....
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    be fun and you won't miss the old style of flight much. It could happen!
    There is zero percent chance of that, I, along with a non zero amount of people in every guild I've been since 2008 have spent an inordinate amount of time collecting mounts over the years.

It took me 10 years of Killing KT in Tempest Keep multiple times a week, every week my sub was active to keep my god damn phoenix mount.

It took me 13 years of killing Headless Horseman on every single alt I have that was eligible to loot the mount, 3 the first year, 10 by the second year, and the final year I was running 27 characters a day through that fight, to get the flying fucking horse.

I will probably have fun with dragon riding for about 30 minutes, then just go back to "oh well that thing I actually wanna do is 17 minutes away by ground mount, more if I get knocked off my mount or need to pick herbs on the way. oh well, fuck it I didnt wanna do that anyways versus its 2 minutes away if i just fly directly there, and can go 3.1 times as fast as if I was stuck on the ground"

Plus, I want to use the mounts I have. If you can do all that swoopy spinny guild wars bullshit on the mounts I have, whatever. Im still not gonna want to do that stupid bullshit, or I'd just go play guild wars. But at least im not pissed the fuck off because all the shit I worked for has been fucking sidelined, again, for the fifth god damn time. And it will be the fifth god damn time I will unsub until they acquiesce and just fucking allow flying again.

It happened in WoD, I quit after 3 weeks because I routinely found myself just not playing the game because I would alt tab as soon as I got on a flight path, then forget what I was doing, remember and then be like nah, I dont want to alt + f4.

It happened in Legion TWICE. They added flying back, I came back. They added new shit and said "no you cant fly because we paid people to make some ground and you need to look at the new ground"... Suck a dick, unsub.

Came back in bfa. Killed G'huun, unsub. Pathfinder came out, resubbed. Shadowlands, unsub until 9.1.

This isn't god damn lord of the rings. Walking isn't fun or a plot point. I just want to get whatever it is in the world I am trying to do. If I wanted to play a walking simulator, I'd get that stupid kojima game with the pickled infants.
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    i mean this is literally flying day 1 but ok.

- - - Updated - - -

you didnt actually watch the presentation did you? You can still go up, its not just gliding down.

- - - Updated - - -

dude its literally full flying, but more realistic, going up is slow, going down is fast, going forward is medium, so using specific dynamics you can go faster.

you can fly up, its not "falling"
    Don't argue with an idiot, he will pull you down to his level and beat you with experience. He is complaining for the sake of complaining because he may have to do more than mash 1 button to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    I think this is a solid compromise.
    They're embracing the idea of the glider technique that players used at the beginning of Legion to effectively fly around where they wanted but they're putting it into the base game.
    I remember really enjoying Legion's approach. We had things like the stormheim hookshot to traverse gaps and get up higher combined with the emerald winds toy to essentially "flap" the glider kit to get to most areas even before flying.
    Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    Sylvanas will just give her own head to Tyrande.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    And just like the thread before it, let's back away from sexualizing Azshara and return to the original topic at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    No...
    Just like Cata, where immersion sky rocketed, because we could fly, 2 minutes into the expansion.

- - - Updated - - -

Simple solution; You mount a horse and ride, I mount a Dragon and fly, everybody is happy.
    Bullshit, im not playing 1 handed, nobody is, thats retarded. Im not going to choose to play as unoptimally as possible just because i think something is badly designed, ill just boost through the shit content till i get to something that is challenging.
    Its like telling people that think wow is too easy to just play with half your abilities, its a moronic cop out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    then use flypoints, its unlikely there wont be any on dragon isles
    cool. Or I just won't be subbing until normal flying is available again for the new content, just like in WoD, Legion, SL and BFA.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Don't argue with an idiot, he will pull you down to his level and beat you with experience. He is complaining for the sake of complaining because he may have to do more than mash 1 button to fly.
    Can you stop being emotional and just calm down? People like me are pro-choice, while you want to dictate what is fun and what is not fun and what should other players enjoy or don't enjoy and how to play the game. Please be rational, thanks.

Good god. So we get a new interesting system which will develop with you to the point where cou get better flying in the dragon isles.
    You don't even know if this system will let you fly before you are max level. You just see something you don't get immediatly and start whining.

And you want the boring as hell flying back immediatly?

They even add something like the flightwhistle connected to this system.

Like OP said: Just unsub and stop bitching about EVERYTHING. I take this over the mincraft creativ mode flying we have now every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    yes, it is. it means our normal flying mount will stay grounded for all of dragon isle content. It also mean that people who just joined the game or sub at a later time, or alts have to farm a system to be able to dragonride properly. It also disfranchises an entire fan base who does not like dragonriding.
    I see that as an absolute win.

- - - Updated - - -

cool. Or I just won't be subbing until normal flying is available again for the new content, just like in WoD, Legion, SL and BFA.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you stop being emotional and just calm down? People like me are pro-choice, while you want to dictate what is fun and what is not fun and what should other players enjoy or don't enjoy and how to play the game. Please be rational, thanks.
    The game is probably better off without catering to people like you. The game needs to evolve, flying hasnt evolved since 2006. It’s time for some updates.

So... they want to introduce this new system by artificially downgrading old one?
    I bet patch 10.1 will intorduce 'normal' flying here as 'feature'.
    Last edited by Mendzia; 2022-04-22 at 09:12 AM.

The people who want to whine and complain apparently can't/don't bother to READ what the devs have said. The flying we have now won't be appropriate for the zone we're going to. Your mount won't be able to get to where the dragons can eventually get. But if you want to stand around scratching your butts wondering how your sparkly cat cat get to the top of that cliff that dragons are at, by all means go ahead...enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post
    No WoWhead's author confirmed that "no [traditional] flying" was told to them. To back that up, look at Blizzplanet's interview (https://warcraft.blizzplanet.com/blo...-and-tina-wang)

While not saying that "normal" flying is out, the Devs are clearly focused on this new Dragon Riding (probably to the exclusion to or replacement of "normal" flying).

Granted if the outcry is loud enough, Devs would probable reconsider it....
    The only way to vote is through your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Playintrafic View Post
    I will probably have fun with dragon riding for about 30 minutes, then just go back to "oh well that thing I actually wanna do is 17 minutes away by ground mount, more if I get knocked off my mount or need to pick herbs on the way. oh well, fuck it I didnt wanna do that anyways versus its 2 minutes away if i just fly directly there, and can go 3.1 times as fast as if I was stuck on the ground"
    So you'll use dragon riding for 30 minutes and then stop using it as a means to get places and just walk on the ground? Sounds smart.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Epic!
    Dragonriding is going to replace the "climb the highest point and use goblin glider" mode of transport.
    If it's cool and fun, great.
    If it's lame and effectively a customizable gob glider but with a "go fast option", then whatevs.
    It just means, as a druid, I won't be using my insta-travel form as much, which makes me a little sad bc insta mount is the best thing ever.

Regular flying was said to not be locked behind a pathfinder achievement, so that will probably come with 10.1 as the story evolves, then I'm hoping dragonriding will be "regular flying +" in that it will act as a standard flying mount for all intents and purposes but also with fun buttons.

There is nothing in that interview that says that. here's a quote; "So like your normal flying is something that we’re not looking at right now. It’s a conversation we have in the future, but for now we’re really focused on the dragonriding and the momentum, gravity-based flying, and iterating on that with our players for alpha and beta." That says they're not working on normal flying because there's nothing to work on. It works. Obviously the development has to be on the Dragonriding because it's new. Another thing is the old adage to consider the source. Who is speaking in the interview? A quest designer and an art designer, neither of whom will be involved in the issue. Ion says this "Dragonriding will not replace mounts".
    Last edited by Dch48; 2022-04-22 at 06:21 PM.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB Samsung 860 QVO SSD ----------1 TB Micron NVMe SSD

The Unstoppable Force FelPlague's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    So... they want to introduce this new system by artificially downgrading old one?
    I bet patch 10.1 will intorduce 'normal' flying here as 'feature'.
    Downgradng?
    Excuse me how is something actually being fucking fun for once a downgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Jujudrood View Post
    Regular flying was said to not be locked behind a pathfinder achievement, so that will probably come with 10.1 as the story evolves, then I'm hoping dragonriding will be "regular flying +" in that it will act as a standard flying mount for all intents and purposes but also with fun buttons.
    This, to me makes sense. There have also been hints that your dragon mount won't be able to fly much at first and that ability will progress. It might be more like a glider at first.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB Samsung 860 QVO SSD ----------1 TB Micron NVMe SSD

The only way to vote is through your wallet.
    Cool, never pay them again, we dont want people here who rather play spreadsheet simulator then actually have fun.

There is nothing in that interview that says that.
    No, it was asked in WoWhead's own discord. And Anshlun (on discord) said "no flying" was told to them [Wowhead] personally.

Ion says this "Dragonriding will not replace mounts".
    This is where it gets tricky... Technically speaking, you still have your mounts... All flying mounts can be used as ground mounts. But what's missing (so far) in DF is "normal" or traditional flying as we currently know it. Noclip flying if you want to use that term.

Instead, it seems that Dragon Riding is replacing normal flying in DF for the Dragon Isles and what is a deep concern is that this replacement does not offer (even at the max level or end of progression) the same ease of use that we see current flying. At least as of right now, there is no mention of the abilities like hovering in place or being able to fly dragon ride from point A to point B without using the mini-game.

Let's say Bob has a severe case of vertigo when you do the kind of motion required for Dragon Riding... Are there accessibility options to still have Dragon Riding without the mini game?

In another case, let's say Lisa wants to dragon ride from one end of the Dragon Isles to another, are we looking at several minutes of doing the mini-game of diving, then pulling up to gain height (at the expense of speed) then repeating for as many times necessary to cross the distance?

- - - Updated - - -

Downgradng?
    Excuse me how is something actually being fucking fun for once a downgrade?
    Ok I think it's "fun" to be able to hover over a spot while I type in trade chat/area chat/guild chat to get reinforcements to rally to me. From the presentation, it doesn't seem like you can "hover" in air. You are constantly gliding unless you gain enough speed (via diving) to trade that speed for height.

Moreover, while you're busy doing those actions (aka playing the mini-game) how do you type? Or navigate a map or some other UX interface?

Seems like a downgrade in functionality compared to current flying where I can point at a direction (NE from Haven), toggle auto-run while in flight, then start typing in chat or looking at the map to see if I missed any rares/chests as I'm auto-flying to that general direction.

Sure dragon riding seems immersive and that's great when I want immersion. But what if I just want to passively go from A to B where there is no flight points that are at A or B.
    ---
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Ok I think it's "fun" to be able to hover over a spot while I type in trade chat/area chat/guild chat to get reinforcements to rally to me. From the presentation, it doesn't seem like you can "hover" in air. You are constantly gliding unless you gain enough speed (via diving) to trade that speed for height.

Moreover, while you're busy doing those actions (aka playing the mini-game) how do you type? Or navigate a map or some other UX interface?

Seems like a downgrade in functionality compared to current flying where I can point at a direction (NE from Haven), toggle auto-run while in flight, then start typing in chat or looking at the map to see if I missed any rares/chests as I'm auto-flying to that general direction.

Sure dragon riding seems immersive and that's great when I want immersion. But what if I just want to passively go from A to B where there is no flight points that are at A or B.
    Again, if you want to play spreadsheet simulator, try microsoft excel.

if you want to get from location A-B without having to use even a single braincell then you are free to use flight paths, or just press numlock and glide, or just use a ground mount, or land and type then take off again and continue flying.

Again, if you want to play spreadsheet simulator, try microsoft excel.
    Excel is a wonderful program with pivot tables.

if you want to get from location A-B without having to use even a single braincell then you are free to use flight paths, or just press numlock and glide, or just use a ground mount, or land and type then take off again and continue flying.
    Go back and re-read what I typed. I specifically said what if I want to go from A-B and they aren't near flight points.

Second, a ground mount need to navigate the terrain and when you factor the verticality that we'll be seeing in DF... Think Highmountain from Legion.

And lastly, again for those that missed it: What we're talking about here is the lack of functionality as Dragon Riding is currently presented. Basically it's a downgrade that forces a mini-game onto players to be able to "fly" in the new xpac.
    ---