Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Turns out all the people clamoring for flying didn't actually want it for "exploration" and "oh, it makes zones so much more exciting!" after all, and turns out that all they wanted it for was to skip the game.

God forbid you don't get noclip again and actually have something that has a bit of exciting gameplay involved (if it is like a mix of GW2s Griffon and Skyscale).

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Well, that's too bad. I got a little excited when I thought we would be flying again. I would have returned for flying. Without it, i'm not coming back.
    You will be flying. Dragon Riding is flying, just works a bit differently with actual flying mechanics instead of just swimming in the air.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    That's not the point of this flying, it's a new system of movement and I'll be a 100% honest if enough people take to it and enjoy it they might retire the original style of flying for this style of flying in all future expantions. I personally am tired of the no clip brainless flying.
    I wouldn't mind this if they continued to iterate and build on the system. They (and a bunch of other posters) keep referring to this as content, rather than merely a new mode of transportation. I'd definitely like it if it was treated as actual content though. Add more abilities and ways to interact with the world and eachother using this system.

I'm mainly thinking of being able to fight eachother on these mounts, though I'm sure more could be dreamt up. Go all out, make it its own separate pillar of gameplay like battlepets. I'd think that is fun as hell. Plus, if I ever do want to fly somewhere "brainlessly" while I go get a drink or something, I'll hop on a flightpath.

(oh and update old mounts to use the new system in 11.0 too plz, hate for that whole catalog to just go to waste and would definitely hate for this to just be another expac specific gimmick)
    Last edited by AcidicSyn; 2022-04-21 at 02:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Flying is not available at launch

Dragon Riding will be available. It's not flying as we know it but will be a fun system to get around and get to rare mobs / treasures etc

If you don't want to engage with Dragon Riding that's fine, enjoy your ground mounts as usual, the rest of us will be barrel rolling above you in the sky.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since we have zero clue how Dragon Riding is going to end up and with Blizz's track record of unique expansion features (either getting scrapped or being half-assed in some critical way), I'd say this announcement is pretty shit. It's just more of their fuck flyers mentality which doesn't bode well for Dragon Riding.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Blizzard has confirmed that you will only be able to "fly" in the Dragon Isles using the new Dragonriding system. Your broader mount collection will act only as ground mounts in the new zones.

In an interview with AusGamers, Jeremy Feasel spoke more about the new system, including details about how it will allow you to travel faster than existing mount speeds and an idea about how the system will work in practice.

https://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3639901

https://www.wowhead.com/news/flying-...-dragon-326774
    I don't see where it says that. Feasel even says this at one point. "Also, we don't want to invalidate all of the many hundreds of mounts that our players have collected up until now.” To me, that says that flying mounts will work but there are some things you won't be able to do on them and you will have to use the Dragonriding mount. I think Wowhead is wrong here. It's not replacing flying, it's supplementing it.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saixilein View Post
    Like cata, where you just fly around and never got intouch of the world.
    No...
    Just like Cata, where immersion sky rocketed, because we could fly, 2 minutes into the expansion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    Some do, i dont. wow flying is awful
    Simple solution; You mount a horse and ride, I mount a Dragon and fly, everybody is happy.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    fun is subjective and I have more fun not having to do any mechanics while flying.
    then use flypoints, its unlikely there wont be any on dragon isles

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    And if all you're going to do is ride your pony...probably won't be able to reach some of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    It remains to be seen what it is, but at the very least it's certainly better than ground mounts.

I don't mind doing pirouettes in the air if it ends up giving considerable speed boost over let's say standard flying, within reason of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    This isn't a bad thing.
    Yes it is. It's an mmo where world content is repeatable. For years. At some point, doing a quest becomes tedious rather than immersive, the verticality an inconvenience you've already experienced hundreds of days that is no longer new or fun. The only way not to have an issue with this is if you just don't do the world content or keep it at a bare minimum after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    Yes it is. It's an mmo where world content is repeatable. For years. At some point, doing a quest becomes tedious rather than immersive, the verticality an inconvenience you've already experienced hundreds of days that is no longer new or fun. The only way not to have an issue with this is if you just don't do the world content or keep it at a bare minimum after a while.
    Oh no, you have to actually engage with a video game instead alt-tabbing while you binge Netflix. The humanity.

I see this very much as a corrupt-a-wish situation. I'm not opposed to a new more realistic manner of flight, but if you can't actually fly then it should be called something like Dargongliding.

We have Dragons already that carry us anywhere we want, so they can't pretend any lore reason is behind this.
    Last edited by Gigabear; 2022-04-21 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    I wouldn't mind this if they continued to iterate and build on the system. They (and a bunch of other posters) keep referring to this as content, rather than merely a new mode of transportation. I'd definitely like it if it was treated as actual content though. Add more abilities and ways to interact with the world and eachother using this system.

I'm mainly thinking of being able to fight eachother on these mounts, though I'm sure more could be dreamt up. Go all out, make it its own separate pillar of gameplay like battlepets. I'd think that is fun as hell. Plus, if I ever do want to fly somewhere "brainlessly" while I go get a drink or something, I'll hop on a flightpath.

(oh and update old mounts to use the new system in 11.0 too plz, hate for that whole catalog to just go to waste and would definitely hate for this to just be another expac specific gimmick)
    Omg mouted jousting with physics. Could be an awesome style of PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    I don't see where it says that. Feasel even says this at one point. "Also, we don't want to invalidate all of the many hundreds of mounts that our players have collected up until now.” To me, that says that flying mounts will work but there are some things you won't be able to do on them and you will have to use the Dragonriding mount. I think Wowhead is wrong here. It's not replacing flying, it's supplementing it.
    No WoWhead's author confirmed that "no [traditional] flying" was told to them. To back that up, look at Blizzplanet's interview (https://warcraft.blizzplanet.com/blo...-and-tina-wang)

Robin: To continue with the dragonriding a little bit, I know we’re going to start working on that from like the beginning of the expansion, essentially. That’s what was said. I was curious if you guys know how that will work with unlocking like general flying and mounts later in the expansion, have you talked about that or talk through that process at all yet?

Jackie (senior quest designer): So like your normal flying is something that we’re not looking at right now. It’s a conversation we have in the future, but for now we’re really focused on the dragonriding and the momentum, gravity-based flying, and iterating on that with our players for alpha and beta.

Tina (associate art director): One thing that is super exciting with this dragonriding is that eventually as you become extremely advanced at it, you will be able to fly significantly faster than normal speed is. So you’ll be able to traverse the Dragon Isles effectively.
    While not saying that "normal" flying is out, the Devs are clearly focused on this new Dragon Riding (probably to the exclusion to or replacement of "normal" flying).

Granted if the outcry is loud enough, Devs would probable reconsider it....
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    be fun and you won't miss the old style of flight much. It could happen!
    There is zero percent chance of that, I, along with a non zero amount of people in every guild I've been since 2008 have spent an inordinate amount of time collecting mounts over the years.

It took me 10 years of Killing KT in Tempest Keep multiple times a week, every week my sub was active to keep my god damn phoenix mount.

It took me 13 years of killing Headless Horseman on every single alt I have that was eligible to loot the mount, 3 the first year, 10 by the second year, and the final year I was running 27 characters a day through that fight, to get the flying fucking horse.

I will probably have fun with dragon riding for about 30 minutes, then just go back to "oh well that thing I actually wanna do is 17 minutes away by ground mount, more if I get knocked off my mount or need to pick herbs on the way. oh well, fuck it I didnt wanna do that anyways versus its 2 minutes away if i just fly directly there, and can go 3.1 times as fast as if I was stuck on the ground"

Plus, I want to use the mounts I have. If you can do all that swoopy spinny guild wars bullshit on the mounts I have, whatever. Im still not gonna want to do that stupid bullshit, or I'd just go play guild wars. But at least im not pissed the fuck off because all the shit I worked for has been fucking sidelined, again, for the fifth god damn time. And it will be the fifth god damn time I will unsub until they acquiesce and just fucking allow flying again.

It happened in WoD, I quit after 3 weeks because I routinely found myself just not playing the game because I would alt tab as soon as I got on a flight path, then forget what I was doing, remember and then be like nah, I dont want to alt + f4.

It happened in Legion TWICE. They added flying back, I came back. They added new shit and said "no you cant fly because we paid people to make some ground and you need to look at the new ground"... Suck a dick, unsub.

Came back in bfa. Killed G'huun, unsub. Pathfinder came out, resubbed. Shadowlands, unsub until 9.1.

This isn't god damn lord of the rings. Walking isn't fun or a plot point. I just want to get whatever it is in the world I am trying to do. If I wanted to play a walking simulator, I'd get that stupid kojima game with the pickled infants.
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    i mean this is literally flying day 1 but ok.

- - - Updated - - -

you didnt actually watch the presentation did you? You can still go up, its not just gliding down.

- - - Updated - - -

dude its literally full flying, but more realistic, going up is slow, going down is fast, going forward is medium, so using specific dynamics you can go faster.

you can fly up, its not "falling"
    Don't argue with an idiot, he will pull you down to his level and beat you with experience. He is complaining for the sake of complaining because he may have to do more than mash 1 button to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    I think this is a solid compromise.
    They're embracing the idea of the glider technique that players used at the beginning of Legion to effectively fly around where they wanted but they're putting it into the base game.
    I remember really enjoying Legion's approach. We had things like the stormheim hookshot to traverse gaps and get up higher combined with the emerald winds toy to essentially "flap" the glider kit to get to most areas even before flying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    No...
    Just like Cata, where immersion sky rocketed, because we could fly, 2 minutes into the expansion.

- - - Updated - - -

Simple solution; You mount a horse and ride, I mount a Dragon and fly, everybody is happy.
    Bullshit, im not playing 1 handed, nobody is, thats retarded. Im not going to choose to play as unoptimally as possible just because i think something is badly designed, ill just boost through the shit content till i get to something that is challenging.
    Its like telling people that think wow is too easy to just play with half your abilities, its a moronic cop out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    cool. Or I just won't be subbing until normal flying is available again for the new content, just like in WoD, Legion, SL and BFA.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Don't argue with an idiot, he will pull you down to his level and beat you with experience. He is complaining for the sake of complaining because he may have to do more than mash 1 button to fly.
    Can you stop being emotional and just calm down? People like me are pro-choice, while you want to dictate what is fun and what is not fun and what should other players enjoy or don't enjoy and how to play the game. Please be rational, thanks.