Page 73 of 88 FirstFirst ...
23
63
71
72
73
74
75
83
... LastLast
  1. #1441
    Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    MoP was, without a doubt, the best expansion in the entire history of WoW for my playstyle. I never even got the hatred for scenarios, I loved the heck out of those. The only thing in MoP that I felt was dumb was the Proving Grounds requirement for matchmaking. Just let people play the game, ffs. But, other than that, it was top to bottom the best time I have ever had in WoW. Timeless Isle wore out its welcome, eventually, but the pacing for the rest of the expansion was perfect, for me. And the raids were fun as hell, even on LFR. Oh, and Flex was actually pretty great at that point before they wrecked it by making it a full raid as the new Normal. Being able to find a group to knock out a few bosses in an afternoon was nice, and people weren't requiring a Heroic clear achievement before accepting you for Flex
    I personally enjoyed very much the farming. I believe after mop is when basically they resorted to the follower quests, which I've never really enjoyed.

  2. #1442
    Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    MoP was, without a doubt, the best expansion in the entire history of WoW for my playstyle. I never even got the hatred for scenarios, I loved the heck out of those. The only thing in MoP that I felt was dumb was the Proving Grounds requirement for matchmaking. Just let people play the game, ffs. But, other than that, it was top to bottom the best time I have ever had in WoW. Timeless Isle wore out its welcome, eventually, but the pacing for the rest of the expansion was perfect, for me. And the raids were fun as hell, even on LFR. Oh, and Flex was actually pretty great at that point before they wrecked it by making it a full raid as the new Normal. Being able to find a group to knock out a few bosses in an afternoon was nice, and people weren't requiring a Heroic clear achievement before accepting you for Flex
    I think they worked a bit harder back then to make sure LFR felt like a complete experience.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

  3. #1443
    Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    MoP was, without a doubt, the best expansion in the entire history of WoW for my playstyle. I never even got the hatred for scenarios, I loved the heck out of those. The only thing in MoP that I felt was dumb was the Proving Grounds requirement for matchmaking. Just let people play the game, ffs. But, other than that, it was top to bottom the best time I have ever had in WoW. Timeless Isle wore out its welcome, eventually, but the pacing for the rest of the expansion was perfect, for me. And the raids were fun as hell, even on LFR. Oh, and Flex was actually pretty great at that point before they wrecked it by making it a full raid as the new Normal. Being able to find a group to knock out a few bosses in an afternoon was nice, and people weren't requiring a Heroic clear achievement before accepting you for Flex
    Questing in general is my most hated activity. Stuck around WoW for so long because of co-op. Scenerios was cool and another good method to showcase story while just wasn't something I cared about to grind even as a co-op lover. Dungeons my preferred content was effectively abandoned. GC even admitted this was a mistake that was to be resolved next expansion only for "dailies are mandatory(for raiders)" dev Ion to gut them again the following expansion to focus on raids. LFR and Normal mode was made harder in this elitist view that casual raiders would be happy being shoved into LFR. My realm that had a healthy PuG population throughout Cata ended up getting crushed. LFR just fueled the start of my alcohol addiction.

    The farm itself was good while the type of gameplay is one I never got hooked into for long.

    The act of having content overall made MoP great while for a player like myself who wanted to do co-op content even as a solo queue or pick up the experience was horrible.
    Last edited by Greenmagoo; 2022-05-27 at 06:22 PM.

  4. #1444
    Stood in the Fire VMSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    I think they worked a bit harder back then to make sure LFR felt like a complete experience.
    I think one of my favorite things in MoP LFR was all the people that would say things like "Where's this fucking maze you're talking about!?" and then at some point they suddenly get it and are all "Oh, OH! I see it!" It was just such a fun experience to see people actually learn something in the game itself. The boss fights were nearly all fun without being overly complex, so much so that Throne of Thunder is my all-time favorite raid.

    And the gear you got from LFR was good enough that if you wanted to venture into Flex, you absolutely could! And it was also good enough to make you feel powerful out in the actual game world, itself.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmagoo View Post
    Dungeons my preferred content was effectively abandoned.
    Dungeons, especially Heroic dungeons, were IMO at their best in MoP. Enjoyable without being brick-wall difficult (unless you went into Challenge mode, which offered cosmetics rather than gear) and they actually told a story ... unlike SL dungeons which are built for M+ challenge first and "fun" or story tacked on if they can think of something.

  5. #1445
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    It's amazing how hard you guys work to turn literally any topic into an excuse to do some creepy bragging about how amazing at the game you are and how the whole game would collapse if not for you.

    I'm not even really sure what point you are trying to make. I said repeatedly that Blizzard is good at designing challenging content that is fun. Where they fail is designing non-challenging content that is fun. I don't know what any of that has to do with this weird tirade you went on about cookie cutter builds.
    What's funny is every thread you're in you're talking about the game collapsing without casuals like you.

    And you turn every topic into whiteknighting "casuals" trying to cover up for your lack of skill

  6. #1446
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    What's funny is every thread you're in you're talking about the game collapsing without casuals like you.

    And you turn every topic into whiteknighting "casuals" trying to cover up for your lack of skill
    It's a plain fact that a very small minority does ultra-hardcore content, so when mythic raiders, a completely fringe, niche group of players, acts like they are fundamental to the functioning of the game, it is about as reasonable and rational as someone claiming pet battlers are the backbone of the game.

    I don't define myself by my "skill" in a cartoon video game about talking cow ladies. I have more productive things to base my ego on.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

  7. #1447
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    It's a plain fact that a very small minority does ultra-hardcore content, so when mythic raiders, a completely fringe, niche group of players, acts like they are fundamental to the functioning of the game, it is about as reasonable and rational as someone claiming pet battlers are the backbone of the game.

    I don't define myself by my "skill" in a cartoon video game about talking cow ladies. I have more productive things to base my ego on.
    There you go again lol. Productive things like forum posts abt that video game im sure.

  8. #1448
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    There you go again lol. Productive things like forum posts abt that video game im sure.
    Let me put it this way: I'm about as impressed by someone's "skill" in warcraft as I am by their post count on a forum, or how many bottle caps they collected.

    The irony is that you think OTHER PEOPLE are losers for NOT defining their entire personality around killing internet dragons. It's the equivalent of trying to insult someone by telling them you have the better stamp collection. It's like being condescending because you are good at juggling.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

  9. #1449
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Let me put it this way: I'm about as impressed by someone's "skill" in warcraft as I am by their post count on a forum, or how many bottle caps they collected.

    The irony is that you think OTHER PEOPLE are losers for NOT defining their entire personality around killing internet dragons. It's the equivalent of trying to insult someone by telling them you have the better stamp collection. It's like being condescending because you are good at juggling.
    Id love for you to quote where i said any of that lol. Just calling out your irony of you claiming OTHER PEOPLE are the ones saying that the game would die without them when you are guilty of exactly that.

  10. #1450
    Quote Originally Posted by stutt- View Post
    Why is end game content so hard? I’m seeing people having a hard time to pug normal raids. Is this the game that most people thrive in? The “average” are the soul of the community, this game is becoming depressing.
    There are several aspects of this game for multiple skill levels of players. Most of what you said comes from self-pity in not being skilled enough to do what hundred of raid guilds do with ease. I say improve your skillset and be rewarded like the other. SIDE NOTE: I am an RPer and am just fine with the mid-level skills I possess when it comes time to raid. I have no interest in mythics, so this is not coming from a 1 percenter.
    “Common sense is not so common.” ~ Voltaire

  11. #1451
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Id love for you to quote where i said any of that lol. Just calling out your irony of you claiming OTHER PEOPLE are the ones saying that the game would die without them when you are guilty of exactly that.
    I'm saying the game needs casual players because *they are half the player base* by even a modest definition. The idea that mythic raiders is a larger group than that is delusional. We are talking about something like 5% of the players, tops.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

  12. #1452
    Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    I think one of my favorite things in MoP LFR was all the people that would say things like "Where's this fucking maze you're talking about!?" and then at some point they suddenly get it and are all "Oh, OH! I see it!" It was just such a fun experience to see people actually learn something in the game itself. The boss fights were nearly all fun without being overly complex, so much so that Throne of Thunder is my all-time favorite raid.
    Or, when people realized that the only thing that really mattered in LFR was not being hit by the beam. The maze was just something to ignore, the ground caused minimal damage you could heal through or shield, and you should just run around to where the beam started so it wouldn't hit you.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The Oculus, but it's the whole expansion!" -- Brianna Royce, Massively OP, on Dragon Riding
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

  13. #1453
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    This kind of sounds like you are saying luck is a factor in difficulty?
    Sometimes luck can be a factor. I know raiders who have a whoopsie in their rotation, and it takes them several more moves to recover. Sure, it could be skill, but luck does exist. My hat still goes off to the more skilled players. They tend to get lucky less frequently because of their skill level, but they are not without luck.
    “Common sense is not so common.” ~ Voltaire

  14. #1454
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechagnome View Post
    Sometimes luck can be a factor. I know raiders who have a whoopsie in their rotation, and it takes them several more moves to recover. Sure, it could be skill, but luck does exist. My hat still goes off to the more skilled players. They tend to get lucky less frequently because of their skill level, but they are not without luck.
    Making a mistake in your 'rotation' isnt luck, thats skill. Luck can allow you to more easily overcome difficulty, but it doesnt change the difficulty itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    Nobody uses Online forums anymore.

  15. #1455
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Making a mistake in your 'rotation' isnt luck, thats skill. Luck can allow you to more easily overcome difficulty, but it doesnt change the difficulty itself.
    Never said difficulty was a factor. I merely stated that luck "can" be a factor.
    “Common sense is not so common.” ~ Voltaire

  16. #1456
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    The lack of content in the game is amazing, and it really is incredible how many people not only make excuses for it, but actively argue for how amazing it is to get so little content. The most recent FF14 patch, which is just an X.1 patch, had all of the following:

    1. New PvP mode with three maps
    2. One Ultimate raid boss
    3. An Alliance raid with four bosses
    4. A new Extreme difficulty level of a trial from the last patch
    5. One new dungeon
    6. A new Unreal difficulty of an old trial
    7. A new reputation
    8. Five new quest lines
    9. A new housing district
    10. A new system for buying housing
    11. Significant updates to some of the worst-dated content from the vanilla version of the game
    12. "Adventurer Plates", which is a system that lets you set up a customized calling card showing your character off
    13. A codex to help people catch up on the story or go over things they forgot

    FF14 gets a patch like that every FOUR MONTHS. Meanwhile, Blizzard struggles to get us a patch every 8 months, and then has us sit for up to a year at the end of an expansion getting nothing.
    I don't understand your point, you do know that every patch in wow bears something similar to this? oO' have you not played BfA and Shadowlands?
    Now if you enjoy making ads for FF14 go play it, but don't derail the topic to a vs conversation, it too seldom brings any interesting conversations

  17. #1457
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechagnome View Post
    Never said difficulty was a factor. I merely stated that luck "can" be a factor.
    Then you are talking about something entirely unrelated to the discussion you interjected into - that was a discussion where someone claimed farming mounts with low drop rates can be MORE DIFFICULT than mythic raiding, because of the luck factor. I am pointing out that luck and difficulty are not the same thing.

    Also doesnt change the fact that pushing the wrong buttons isnt luck, its skill.

    The only situation when an argument could be made that luck can impact difficulty is RNG of boss abilities, where some bosses allow for nasty overlaps of abilities - but those have ALMOST been eliminated from the game for exactly that reason. But where it remains, its still not really LUCK, its just a feature of the fight. The reason its been all but eliminated is because of how tight the tuning is now - if they tune the fight around the nasty combo occurring, then it becomes "too easy" when it doesnt occur. So they tune it around it not occurring, so when it does happen its all but impossible to overcome, so groups simply wipe the attempt and start again.
    Last edited by arkanon; 2022-05-27 at 08:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    Nobody uses Online forums anymore.

  18. #1458
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Let me put it this way: I'm about as impressed by someone's "skill" in warcraft as I am by their post count on a forum, or how many bottle caps they collected.

    The irony is that you think OTHER PEOPLE are losers for NOT defining their entire personality around killing internet dragons. It's the equivalent of trying to insult someone by telling them you have the better stamp collection. It's like being condescending because you are good at juggling.
    Hey hey hey now, juggling is fuckin hard man.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Then you are talking about something entirely unrelated to the discussion you interjected into - that was a discussion where someone claimed farming mounts with low drop rates can be MORE DIFFICULT than mythic raiding, because of the luck factor. I am pointing out that luck and difficulty are not the same thing.

    Also doesnt change the fact that pushing the wrong buttons isnt luck, its skill.

    The only situation when an argument could be made that luck can impact difficulty is RNG of boss abilities, where some bosses allow for nasty overlaps of abilities - but those have ALMOST been eliminated from the game for exactly that reason. But where it remains, its still not really LUCK, its just a feature of the fight. The reason its been all but eliminated is because of how tight the tuning is now - if they tune the fight around the nasty combo occurring, then it becomes "too easy" when it doesnt occur. So they tune it around it not occurring, so when it does happen its all but impossible to overcome, so groups simply wipe the attempt and start again.
    Bolded bit. To be fair, I would argue that someone who just occasionally (to be generous) or rarely fucks up could be chalked up to bad luck a la "The cat jumped on my keyboard". If they repeatedly fuck up their rotation, then I'd say its skill (or lack thereof). Though I'm really just trying to kill the last 5 minutes of my shift here and know you probably aren't referring to those kinds of moments.
    Last edited by AcidicSyn; 2022-05-27 at 08:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

  19. #1459
    Quote Originally Posted by Skildar View Post
    I don't understand your point, you do know that every patch in wow bears something similar to this? oO' have you not played BfA and Shadowlands?
    Now if you enjoy making ads for FF14 go play it, but don't derail the topic to a vs conversation, it too seldom brings any interesting conversations
    WoW patches are typically smaller than this, and we get half as many.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

  20. #1460
    Quote Originally Posted by Skildar View Post
    I don't understand your point, you do know that every patch in wow bears something similar to this? oO' have you not played BfA and Shadowlands?
    Now if you enjoy making ads for FF14 go play it, but don't derail the topic to a vs conversation, it too seldom brings any interesting conversations
    Here's the thing, I've played wow on and off since BC. I want to play Wow as an mmo, and I can't even bring myself to download FF14, because it's just too much of a commitment at my age, and I like wow's combat, system, world, characters. I have too much invested in the game just to drop it, and switch. They just need to get the other stuff together again. So even though FF14 may have more content coming through. It hasn't done anything to sway me. To me Wow is synonymous with MMO, and it'll probably always be like that for me. This isn't to say FF14 is the better option right now, but It just never appealed to me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •