Page 83 of 87 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    And my point is that the gear ladder is a distraction from that same underlying issue. If all people care about is the rewards, that's because the underlying content isn't "fun enough" in its own right. That isn't something you fix by monkeying with rewards, in the first place, but it is valid to use the focus on rewards to demonstrate the underlying lack.
    My point is players that don't find it fun should quit. I enjoy the game without getting the best rewards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azharok View Post
    If you don't find it fun, you could always get off the treadmill ? Blizz isn't exactly holding a gun to your head and asking you to run on it.
    Dude, I quit back in Mists of Pandaria, and came back briefly in Warlords of Draenor. I used to be involved pretty deep with the theorycrafting community from WotLK through MoP, though, so I wasn't just a casual fan at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    Ok, so you're putting all your eggs in 1 basket based on information from a Blizzard employee who has been proven mathematically wrong several times (once even by someone who doesn't even raid but just happened to notice his math was way off) all while only looking at simulated data and not live data which too has been shown on countless occasions to be incorrect.

I really don't know how to help you.
    There you go again talking about it being proven wrong. Im asking you to show me where that was proven. Can you do that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    1 ilvl difference = 1% dps difference. The game director announced this. The sims proved it. But you claimed it was proven wrong. The onus is on you to show that. Then you started talking about sims not reflecting reality.
    I mean, sims don't reflect reality. They're fundamentally white-room approximations.

That said, they're accurate enough to confirm stuff like what you're talking about, on the rough performance per ilvl. It's when you compare the white-room DPS to actual boss-fight performance that you'll notice pretty wide divides, since boss mechanics complicate everything.

And my point is that the gear ladder is a distraction from that same underlying issue. If all people care about is the rewards, that's because the underlying content isn't "fun enough" in its own right. That isn't something you fix by monkeying with rewards, in the first place, but it is valid to use the focus on rewards to demonstrate the underlying lack.
    Which is highlighted by how so many get what gear they can and unsub until the next content patch.

There are several games I've earned a platinum trophy or all achievements but still put many more hours into. Because the game is actually fun.

Many higher end raiders have even admitted that they don't have fun with the game anymore. The only do it because they've made friends and that's the only way they can play with those friends.

- - - Updated - - -

There you go again talking about it being proven wrong. Im asking you to show me where that was proven. Can you do that?
    Go do the research yourself. That's your philosophy anyway.
    Being assertive is NOT trolling. It's alarming how many people (including moderators) still have not got that memo.

Which is highlighted by how so many get what gear they can and unsub until the next content patch.

There are several games I've earned a platinum trophy or all achievements but still put many more hours into. Because the game is actually fun.

Many higher end raiders have even admitted that they don't have fun with the game anymore. The only do it because they've made friends and that's the only way they can play with those friends.

- - - Updated - - -

Go do the research yourself. That's your philosophy anyway.
    Good talk. So you can't prove it

Sports are played by tons of people without any expectation or interest in any reward for doing so. People play for the love of the game itself.

Take E-sports for a more direct analogue; those players compete for prizes and get paid to play. Would they stop playing video games entirely if they were no longer competing in those leagues? There's plenty of people doing speedrunning or the like because they love doing it, not because they make any money or gain any tacit rewards for it.

The most popular esports in the world (LoL, CS: GO, Rainbow Six,etc) are all directly competitive games.

But sure, people also play for the love of the game. People do that in wow, too, as evidenced by:

1) tens of thousands of keys run when there is no reward
    2) people clearing raids (or even proging in raids) where they have long since capped on gear.

This is another thing where it seems like people here don't play the game they make thousands of posts talking about. Most people people progging in mythic right now (and even people who got CE recently) have virtually no upgrades left in the actual raid, they will have already been effectively capped by the Vault a month ago. Mythic raiding is the least rewarding in terms of gear that it has ever been.

All the gear stuff here is such a canard outside of HoF guilds. And as I have explained, anyone with a pulse can get 272 gear on live right now with only the tiniest amount of effort.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Good talk. So you can't prove it
    I mean, I asked you for evidence well before you did and you never provided any. So why do you deserve it?
    Being assertive is NOT trolling. It's alarming how many people (including moderators) still have not got that memo.

I mean, sims don't reflect reality. They're fundamentally white-room approximations.

That said, they're accurate enough to confirm stuff like what you're talking about, on the rough performance per ilvl. It's when you compare the white-room DPS to actual boss-fight performance that you'll notice pretty wide divides, since boss mechanics complicate everything.
    I agree. But 1 ilvl is 1% dps difference. It was never proven wrong like the poster said. Mechanocs complicated things for sure. But if you see a 20 ilvl difference between a top player and bottom player, and the dps is over 50% different while the top end player is dealing with extra mechanics in mythic, its a skill issue for the bottom player.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, I asked you for evidence well before you did and you never provided any. So why do you deserve it?
    I mean maybe the game director saying it, multiple threads, and the fact that sims are all available so you can look at the data yourself. Its like you asking me to prove 2+2=4. We can stop conversing, but remember you started commenting on my post to someone else lol

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/st...display=scaled

It's almost as if dps scaled with ilvl linearly ... hmm I wonder why that is ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoopie
    this change is to help players like you..... you know..night elf with tyrannical beheader...

Azharok - Dalaran EU

I mean maybe the game director saying it, multiple threads, and the fact that sims are all available so you can look at the data yourself. Its like you asking me to prove 2+2=4. We can stop conversing, but remember you started commenting on my post to someone else lol
    You need to actually link your sources, not simply say "this is how it is"

Now I'm sure that you're right but you still have to provide proof from credible sources if you want to be taken seriously.

It was never proven wrong like the poster said.l
    Sorry, but it was. You're welcome to believe that if you want.

I mean maybe the game director saying it, multiple threads, and the fact that sims are all available. Its like you asking me to prove 2+2=4. We can stop conversing, but remember you started commenting on my post to someone else lol
    If it were anybody but Ion, I would probably believe it.

And it's not like asking to prove 2+2=4. You're basing your argument entirely off conjecture.

I began commenting on you because you were attempting to dogpile someone who was just trying to toss mud against the wall to see what sticks. That's like... the main point of game forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Echocho View Post
    You need to actually link your sources, not simply say "this is how it is"

Now I'm sure that you're right but you still have to provide proof from credible sources if you want to be taken seriously.
    I'm not gonna treat posts on mmochamp like a research paper. I dont feel the need to link sources to easily googled things

I'm not gonna treat posts on mmochamp like a research paper. I dont feel the need to link sources to easily googled things
    If it's so easily googled, it wouldn't be difficult for you to source yourself, would it? Nobody is asking you to write a thesis. That's quite a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    See, back then we did not have Normal, Heroic, Mythic. So the fact that casual players could get gear at Normal ilvl meant they were just 10-13 ilvls from max. Getting Normal ilvl now means you are 26 ilvls below max. Not to mention a ton of special loot coming from raids that you can access through LFR but then that is nearly 40 ilvls below. The difference is substantial between Wrath-MoP and now.

But again, ilvl is secondary. Slowly progressing throughout the tier, making many different activities rewarding is what worked best. In ΜoP you could cap Valor by doing heroic scenarios and pet battles if you wanted.
    I mean this isn't terribly honest. With weekly events you get about 13 ilvs apart farm mythic save for people killing the last 4 bosses...

Nothing but the entitment has changed.

Sorry, but it was. You're welcome to believe that if you want.

If it were anybody but Ion, I would probably believe it.

And it's not like asking to prove 2+2=4. You're basing your argument entirely off conjecture.

I began commenting on you because you were attempting to dogpile someone who was just trying to toss mud against the wall to see what sticks. That's like... the main point of game forums.
    Ok friend. Well if you ever get bored like I am with this conversation, spend 2 minutes on the sims messing around with ilvl.

Ok friend. Well if you ever get bored like I am with this conversation, spend 2 minutes on the sims messing around with ilvl.
    "I'm bored" is a very dated way to concede a discussion.

I have no interest in sims. I much prefer real data from reliable sources.

"I'm bored" is a very dated way to concede a discussion.

I have no interest in sims. I much prefer real data from reliable sources.
    Oh you mean real data, where skill plays a big part in the difference you see? Lmao

Oh you mean real data, where skill plays a big part in the difference you see? Lmao
    This is what we call a circular conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    I mean this isn't terribly honest. With weekly events you get about 13 ilvs apart farm mythic save for people killing the last 4 bosses...

Nothing but the entitment has changed.
    Once every three months you get the Dungeon event and you MAY get a good item, sure. . .