View Poll Results: How popular will this new class be?

Voters
359. This poll is closed
  • High Tier (Druid and Hunter level)

86 23.96%
  • Mid Tier (Demon Hunter and Death Knight Level)

155 43.18%
  • Low Tier (Monk level)

118 32.87%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Probably mid to low tier popularity.
    Race/class lock with a monster race likely doesn't help, as the vast majority plays humans or elves (iirc roughly 50% of all horde characters were belfs aswell).
    Although the stats might be a bit more diverse now with allied races

Quote Originally Posted by Shakzor View Post
    Race/class lock with a monster race likely doesn't help, as the vast majority plays humans or elves (iirc roughly 50% of all horde characters were belfs aswell).
    Blizzard killed the API that made it possible in Shadowlands, but the most recent data collected was here: https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/top...n-infographic/

“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Initially everyone and their momma will make one. It'll be dragon tales over load for a month or two. But it'll drop off pretty quick. The majority of players are melee players. The change in game play styles can be conflicting for players, and they go back to what they know.

Quote Originally Posted by Akta View Post
    It depends on how strong and fun it is to play. The customization options will play another big role together with lore.
    Pretty much how I feel. How it plays is going to be a big factor. How it looks will be another. Also for me personally the animations, which I been informing the company about.

It is best to use monk as my example. Monks I felt were tacky. Ultimately they didn't turn out to be very popular.

I remember when I did try to finally go attempt to play one after all these years. I commented how their heals look like fart clouds. (I get it is mist but still...) It is extremely unappealing. Now this might be sounding harsh but the reality is it would've been nice to get a Diablo type of monk and how much more popular it would've been. Also I have seen monk class in many other games and they are a lot of fun. Also look cool. It was pretty much injustice what they did to that class. I don't want another tacky class please. I want epic to go look at the class and go I WANT to play this.
    Last edited by Icelin; 2022-04-21 at 05:16 PM.

My worries are whether they look good or not. I didn't even originally notice that they apparently don't have many armor parts visible. I don't play mechagnomes because nothing looks good on them, for example.

Yet, if they have good customization? Who knows.

As for class balance and mechanics? I care very little. Those get altered, changed, balanced all the time.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    This is a very easy one and not difficult to predict at all. Evokers will be very strong, and in fact fairly OP, during Dragonflight and most likely a bit into the next expansion after. There are 2 reasons you can count on that. One is history, every hero class so far has been OP during it's expansion. When players complained about balance, Blizzard said they're hero classes and should be a little stronger before later (post-expansion) actually balancing. The second is simply money. An OP hero class that is only available to customers that buy an expansion is more of a driver to sales than the expansion itself.

And players tend to play the OP classes for all sorts of reasons. It's a no-brainer for minmaxers at end-game, pvp, and even casuals that don't play end-game will want to play it for an easier time. That's all on top of players just wanting to try them out because they are new. So there will be oodles of them.
    Last edited by Biglog; 2022-04-21 at 08:00 PM.

It really depends, honestly. Ranged Spell DPS are pretty fuckin popular though, and having dragon motifs will definitely help them. And, unlike Monk, they start at high levels and can instantly jump into the new expansion.

I mean, I'm gonna be playing it either way, but yeah.

I think a lot of players will be like me. I think it looks cool, it will probably play great, I have nothing against it, but I have no interest in making one a main. I'll create one for its starting experience and to have it as an alt I might occasionally log into.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Simple question: How popular will this class be? Do you think this class has the chops to be as popular as Druids or Hunters? Will they be mid-tier like the other hero classes Demon Hunter and DK, or will they suffer the same fate as the Monk class and be near the bottom? Let's hear your predictions.
    It's gonna be popular af, at least early on, because they will make them OP just like it was with all the other classes the added. They also won't have the negatives that Monk had early on with starting with level 1, having no unique starting zone and just being thematically kinda being underwhelming (not being a hero class)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakzor View Post
    Allied Races generally remained fairly low because they required unlocking.

Though Void Elves are probably the most popular Allied Race being played, and Elves are really just that popular.

10+ Year Old Account
    At start prob high just because of couriosity. After depends on meta :P Prob mid/avarage.

Entirely depends how OP they are. Traditionally the new classes theyve added over time become some of the lowest played overall.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Given what Blizzard has added......

I'm betting the winner will be ducks....

High tier based on a few factors:

1. only way for people to play the new race
    2. first new ranged since the game released
    3. new charging abilities mechanic

Now if the class can hold on to people and become their new main? That depends entirely on their balance and actual gameplay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Entirely depends how OP they are. Traditionally the new classes theyve added over time become some of the lowest played overall.
    Not the case for Death Knights. And it might also be partially due to all the new classes having been melee so far. People willing to create a new ranged main have had no new options for years.

It depends on the customization of the model and how a ranged class having to go into melee will work with raid mechanics considering raid mechanics often target ranged/melee for different things.

Herald of the Titans Nightshade711's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    I’m expecting mid-tier only if they fix the problems people have with the Dracthyr being too slim, and/or if the “slightly bulkier” torso option they’re talking about fixes that issue.

Or they’d be mid-tier if they’re insanely strong like most of the new classes they add.

I don’t see them being high tier much at all though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Chen isn't a Monk

10+ Year Old Account
    If I had to guess, for the expansion launch itself, probably in the top 3 classes. In 5 years? hard to say, probably below demon hunter but above monk, but that's just speculation. We need to see the class in action to more accurately judge it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade711 View Post
    I’m expecting mid-tier only if they fix the problems people have with the Dracthyr being too slim, and/or if the “slightly bulkier” torso option they’re talking about fixes that issue.

Or they’d be mid-tier if they’re insanely strong like most of the new classes they add.

I don’t see them being high tier much at all though.
    They probably will be high tier for the first 6 months of the expansion while they are new and then fall off a bit. How far they fall all depends on how fun blizzard can make them. And yes I know fun is subjective.

I think this class is pretty underrated right now. I can see it being one of the most popular classes, assuming it's easy to play like dh/dk and they fix the looks of dracthyr (which it seems like they will).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reanimatez View Post
    I think this class is pretty underrated right now. I can see it being one of the most popular classes, assuming it's easy to play like dh/dk and they fix the looks of dracthyr (which it seems like they will).
    Yeah, with Dracthyr apparently being huge and impressive looking, and a class where your abilities make you into a dragon, I can see this being top tier rather easily and staying there on a consistent basis.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Long-term, I don't think they'll be super-popular - probably similar to Shamans and Priests in popularity, simply because only having Healer and RDPS specs limit their long-term appeal. Combine that with people not liking the aesthetics, and I think mid or low tier in terms of popularity is likely.

I mean, that's not really a problem - there's not an insane difference in numbers between most-popular and least-popular classes in WoW, unlike some games.

Short-term, at launch, they will probably be extremely popular, because they're likely to be at least a little OP at launch, and will be "something different", and there isn't a probably isn't class quest or the like to strongly persuade people to stick with their existing characters. But I think we'll see an awful lot of them abandoned in fairly short order.

The only thing which might mess with this I think is how fun the "charge up" mechanic on some of their abilities is. If it's hugely fun, then they may well stay popular. If it's annoying as hell, they'll drop even faster.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."