Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    They need to get over this whole 'sanctity of player names' thing and just merge some god-damn servers already. Especially for Classic Era. One PvE, One PvP. I'd say One RP too but they basically killed the concept of RP servers for Classic when they opened up free transfers off realm. I'd say we could do with less servers going into Wrath too tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by arucado3 View Post
    Well Id like to know if its gonna be the same with wotlk, I dont want to play if im gonna be forced to go cata afterwards
    BIG upvote on this

Quote Originally Posted by Lawlhero View Post
    Because a server with 5 people on it would be a fun experience.
    And it's also an experience you can already have on most servers right now!
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    They should have at least 1 server for every expansion at least as a "museum". There are also plenty of people that want to stick to tbc to populate at least 1 server.

- - - Updated - - -

Why would other people play tbc private servers for years if that is the case ?
    This is how I feel about classic servers. I wanted to go back in and play, but literally every god damn server is dead.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    They need to get over this whole 'sanctity of player names' thing and just merge some god-damn servers already. Especially for Classic Era. One PvE, One PvP. I'd say One RP too but they basically killed the concept of RP servers for Classic when they opened up free transfers off realm. I'd say we could do with less servers going into Wrath too tbh.
    Amen to that!

My personal solution to naming I voice on official forums back in WotLK days:

“One name per account” or “per realm”.

The upsides:

1. Name hoarding. Tons of low-level chars exist just to grub “the cool nick”.
    2. Strengthening of social fabric. Regardless of char everyone knows it’s you with all the social consequences for good and bad behavior.
    3. Bunch of others I forgot.

Downsides:

I was confronted with one: I want my mage be named VasyanProMage while my warrior must be VasyanProWar! So no deal!

I never found this argument compelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret81
    I´ve heard, there will be Epic loot as normal quest rewards in Cata while you level.
    To make the quest feel more epic.

I don't understand no TBC Season of Mastery?

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    The sub numbers speak for themselves. WoTLK is a natural stopping point for classic because it's the last expac with the original zones and quests, and subs began cratering in Cata. Classic is meant to pull back players who dislike retail, and there's nothing more retail than LFR from Cata and talent revamp from MoP.
    Well.. not so much the case now because the old Talent Revamp in MoP is gonna get replaced with a whole new talent tree in the next expansion coming up. (Kind of it's own thing while borrowing ideas from Classic's Talent system)

And given Blizz isn't adding LFD (aka Dungeon Finder) to Wrath. What's stopping them from NOT adding in LFR from Cata? Pretty soon once Dragonflight hits, the people that missed the old MoP style Talent System will probably want to see it back in MoP Classic again.

Also, Sub Numbers mean nothing when you start to realize that a good chunk of those subscribers might be bots, hackers, and advertisers for gold farmers from China. Remember how there were dead bodies lined up in Stormwind and Orgrimmar that would spell out letters for some website? They probably bought a ton of subscriptions and for individual computers just to have all these characters spell out words... and it wasn't happening in just one realm either.
    Last edited by Woggmer; 2022-04-22 at 08:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FireVoodoo View Post
    Amen to that!

My personal solution to naming I voice on official forums back in WotLK days:

“One name per account” or “per realm”.

The upsides:

1. Name hoarding. Tons of low-level chars exist just to grub “the cool nick”.
    2. Strengthening of social fabric. Regardless of char everyone knows it’s you with all the social consequences for good and bad behavior.
    3. Bunch of others I forgot.

Downsides:

I was confronted with one: I want my mage be named VasyanProMage while my warrior must be VasyanProWar! So no deal!

I never found this argument compelling.
    As a roleplayer I'd really hate that. Even though RP realms are dead I like my characters to have individual names. All Blizzard really need to do is allow last names to be a thing. Surely their database can handle a space.

I remember someone, I think it was Ion, after the launch of classic, saying that they want everyone who wants to go back and play the vanilla game to always be able to do that.. thus the classic era museum. I don’t think they will ever go back on that - i could see them merging to 1 pve/1 pvp though.

I personally do still roll characters on classic era and I enjoy knowing that nothing is going to change on them.

Good.
    SoM in Classic Vanilla started 3-4 years too early.
    They should wait until end of WotLK and then do it with many changes as they want.

makes sence Classic vanilla is totally different game

Wotlk is just TBC but with new content. like a (Original wow with hints of retail issues)

Cata+ is retail......

This decision was most likely simply driven by stats on the servers which are probably below minimum viable amount of players to make sense keeping.

Yes. Less servers on all versions of wow(except retail, doesnt matter there). At the very least, solve the dead ass servers that are around. Theres no need for them. Connect them atleast.

Its weird they dont just have a BC era server up. They could have 1 pvp classic era, 1 pve classic era, 1 pvp bc era, 1 pve bc era and finally 1 pve/pvp wotlk server.

Believe it or not - there are people out there playing on classic era. I do sometimes and its a chill experience and I have fun with it. Theres not lots of players, but there are some.

Nevertheless - its going to be interesting and see how they deal with this in the coming years. Season of Mastery for classic, bc & wotlk? Or just start over again? What of the characters from WotLK?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Yes. Less servers on all versions of wow(except retail, doesnt matter there). At the very least, solve the dead ass servers that are around. Theres no need for them. Connect them atleast.

Its weird they dont just have a BC era server up. They could have 1 pvp classic era, 1 pve classic era, 1 pvp bc era, 1 pve bc era and finally 1 pve/pvp wotlk server.

Believe it or not - there are people out there playing on classic era. I do sometimes and its a chill experience and I have fun with it. Theres not lots of players, but there are some.

Nevertheless - its going to be interesting and see how they deal with this in the coming years. Season of Mastery for classic, bc & wotlk? Or just start over again? What of the characters from WotLK?
    Yeah, gotta admit I'm curious what happens when SoM ends. Do they force people to choose a classic era server to stay forever, move on to TBC or just... keep the servers as is in 1.14 forever.

Yeah, gotta admit I'm curious what happens when SoM ends. Do they force people to choose a classic era server to stay forever, move on to TBC or just... keep the servers as is in 1.14 forever.
    Honestly, I get why Blizzard made classic again. Same with BC & Wotlk. I love these versions of wow and im glad they did it. But, this might be a problem for them to solve in the future. Its already retail, classic, bc, wotlk(soon), Season of Master and classic era. Should we end up with classic era, SoM classic/BC/WotLK, BC era & wotlk era?

Theres already the issues with to many servers for each version of wow. So many versions of wow, to many servers. It might be a clusterfuck down the line.

Also - are people that play on official servers more/less inclined to let go of theyre mains? What happens after WotLK? Leave your main(that you have played for years) only to start over again? I know it works like that on private servers, im not sure how it will fair on official servers.

Theres alot of unknowns to this and it will be a challenge for Blizzard to support all of this.

make no mistake, there will be people out there who wish classic era servers to be online forever.

They cant, ever, not have a classic option for players. That just cant happen again.

I don't understand why they don't make a unique classic era EU server, a unique classic ERA US server and the same for TBC...

It's the ONLY solution to have populated ERA servers !

Makes sense. They killed any chance of Classic Era being successful by charging a fee to make a clone.

Quote Originally Posted by varren View Post
    Makes sense. They killed any chance of Classic Era being successful by charging a fee to make a clone.
    Turns out that when given the choice between playing Classic and not playing Classic, people choice to not play Classic.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

I appreciate that classic servers suffered badly after BC was released, but could this have been solved with server merges onto fewer servers / one or 2 large servers?

It would be a shame if there was no option at all for BC after WoTLK comes out. I had limited time during BCs release so didn't get the proper opportunity to experience it again. Do others feel like leaving 1 or 2 larger servers for players for form a community round would be a good idea?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    This decision was most likely simply driven by stats on the servers which are probably below minimum viable amount of players to make sense keeping.
    Totally. Multi-dollar small indie company couldn't afford a few servers anymore unlike the mighty ultra rich private servers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    Turns out that when given the choice between playing Classic and not playing Classic, people choice to not play Classic.
    Except when they did chose to play classic and then chose again to play classic tbc and chose some more when even SoM has players.
    Do real world news not reach your retail shard anymore ?