Player commendation system is an ultimate solution to building positive environmet

Player commendation system is an ultimate solution to building positive environment in this game. Positive incentive mechanisms would completely revolutionize players behaviour. Player contract doesn't do anything but intimidates and scares players giving them nothing in return. Adopting Final Fantasy 14 commendation system in similar fashion can truly make profound differences in this community.

Try not to start game vs game debate, as there is nothing here to talk about. These are independent systems that can work (and do work) anywhere. Thank you for coming to my Ted talk under one minute.

10+ Year Old Account
    You really think that will do any difference? Look at "Endorsments" in Overwatch, no one cares, they are meaningless. Why would something similar matter here, who would ever care?

Quote Originally Posted by neik View Post
    Player commendation system is an ultimate solution to building positive environment in this game. Positive incentive mechanisms would completely revolutionize players behaviour. Player contract doesn't do anything but intimidates and scares players giving them nothing in return. Adopting Final Fantasy 14 commendation system in similar fashion can truly make profound differences in this community.

Try not to start game vs game debate, as there is nothing here to talk about. These are independent systems that can work (and do work) anywhere. Thank you for coming to my Ted talk under one minute.
    THat system will be abused to high heaven. It is not an ultimate solution in any way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    THat system will be abused to high heaven. It is not an ultimate solution in any way.
    Right? Just another thing that people would sell as a "boost".

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Better to not even try and just continuously complain about the problem.
    Retail sucks. Classic sucks. No positivity, only negative feedback. Why is everybody so damn miserable? Must be somebody else's fault, it couldn't possibly be my INSANELY TOXIC ATTITUDE.

FFXIV has a commendation system, does not stop people from calling each other bad. League of legends has a honor system, I think it actually works better.
    Chronomancer Club

This would mabye be a very light incentive for a few people.

You know what would work ten times better?
    Hiring some gms.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    you can't vote for someone in your party so you can't organise people to vote for you if thats what you mean

While I don’t think a commendation system (Or what OW and LoL had) will amount to less toxicity so much as personal achievement. Most people don’t care how big your social epeen is, but they may care about their own and theirs alone. Is it a bad system? No, I think it can be tied to overtime rewards so that people continue to run content idly to work towards more rewards. And specifically these systems only allow randoms / non-friends to give you commendations otherwise it’s just a truly pointless system. It’d be neat if they added it but don’t trick yourself into thinking this alone will help fix social issues that the WoW community fosters.

Wouldn't it become like lol where the support and carry get all of them or like ff14 where the tank and healer do?

I want to dislike this comment but Youtube removed the button. :P

Hopefully that explains why this is a bad idea.

Nobody would ever be at a net positive, the community is way too toxic.

10+ Year Old Account

No, it is not. It doesn't even work that well in Final Fantasy. It just creates an artificial solution and moves the problem somewhere else, ESPECIALLY if you hide rewards behind it. Sometimes it feels like a festering tank to be in Final Fantasy 14. There are glorious people there, as well as WoW, and then there are the ones who suddenly 'pop'. I've had my experience with toxicity brewing in that realm too, brewing so badly that they expect to get glorified, and if they aren't, they will throw a fit. I believe another FF14 player told me that FF can be to some, really toxic due to the forced 'niceness' that some people feel they have to do to get a commendation.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    Nobody would ever be at a net positive, the community is way too toxic.
    Why would you imagine that a commendation system (which would be gamed to death...that's true enough) would ever include anything but an upvote? I don't believe that a commendation system is a solution to anything but there's no law that says you would require it to vote yay or nay on anything. A simple 'yay' would be enough.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

This is a great way to give boost communities (even though they swear they're not boost communities) yet another service to sell.

[2] [Trade] [Defnotabooster]: WTS >MAX< Commendation; full Commendation in 2 hours, top. PST for more info and Discord info!

I made a lot of assumptions thinking that everyone fully understands how the system fully works. it doesn't really have to be exact copy pasta, but the framework can be utilized to it's full potential. I'm confident that Blizzard has intelligent people working in the company who can (and would be able to) come up with different iterations.

While it would create certain biases towards different demographics today, aka people who never queue random daily heroic and use Premade Finder rather than Dungeon Finder. This could be solved with meaningful solo queue systems. Thanks for your contributions.

So you want a social credit score? That can easily be manipulated?

That can fuck right off to the CCP.

There is a lot of work arounds to how it could possibly function. To me it's personally about act of kindness and acknowledgement of other player. It doesn't have to be some massive endgame event. Although FF captures it different ways and it can turn into full time one year grind for if you choose to pursue certain achievements.

To me is the action of spreading the love and acknowledging other person is what matters. And this in my opinion could compound and spread like wildfire if done correctly. That's all I'm advocating for. I'm going to close on this, thanks for reading.

To me is the action of spreading the love and acknowledging other person is what matters.
    That's commendable, but also why a system like this (and other ideas in a similar vein) would immediately fail: it relies on an assumption that if it were true would mean we didn't need such a system in the first place.

The whole problem is that people, overall and on the whole, DON'T really care about "spreading the love and acknowledging the other persons". If they did, there wouldn't be this kind of toxic mess you're trying to remedy.

As people have pointed out, a system like this would either be gamed to high heavens and abused to maximum extent; or it would be reduced to a meaningless footnote nobody pays any real attention to. Neither are outcomes that would justify implementation.

Any "rating" system would need to:

1. be based on objectively measurable criteria
    2. have serious repercussions in case of abuse
    3. have a robust and efficient appeals process

And there just isn't a realistic way I could see of ever meeting that. People would do the whole "0/5 was named after an anime character" thing; people would sell rating inflates; people would disagree all the time about what "good dps" is or "good tanking" or whether or not pulling one superfluous pack of enemies means you're now a 4/5 or a 1/5; and so on.

This just wouldn't work.

That's not to say that they couldn't come up with some systemic changes that would at least alleviate some of the more rampant problems; but I'm pretty much convinced that a rating system ain't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caprias View Post
    This would mabye be a very light incentive for a few people.

You know what would work ten times better?
    Hiring some gms.
    imagine wanting real human beings to moderate your mmo in ''insert current year'' kekw

considering bots make up about 99% of the playerbase,its only fitting an automated system moderates the game
    Last edited by deenman; 2022-05-09 at 02:09 AM.