Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    The future for animation on Netflix looks grim.

    Netflix recently suffered a big drop in subscribers, as well as a BIG loss in money, and as a result, the company is laying people off. Unfortunately, this might mean the end of animation on Netflix.

    https://www.thewrap.com/netflix-anim...d-staged-data/

  2. #2
    The Insane Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    16,079
    Can't read the article because I don't have a subscription to that site.

    Netflix has been slowly losing their catalog of good anime for years, like Clannad. I think the only notable stuff they have left is... what? SAO and Fate/Zero?

    Never cared about Netflix's "original" animation, like Castlevania, so if Netflix's animation department is being axed then I don't really care. Castlevania was garbage. Utterly unlikeable characters. Story moves at a snail's pace. Mediocre artstyle. Constant swearing. Ugh.

  3. #3
    As far as I can see, all they've done is basically get rid of the children's animation stuff and cancel one that was coming up.

    Netflix will be fine. They'll still get animation/anime on the service. And Castlevania was a good series.

  4. #4
    Netflix doesn't need lots of people on staff, they mostly curate content and slap their name on it.

  5. #5
    I don't see them cutting animation. I see them cutting a bunch of fringe studios for documentaries or whatever.

  6. #6
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Texas, US
    Posts
    541
    Crunchyroll is here to stay! Maybe if they get some more subs they finally can fix their app and streaming service!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I don't see them cutting animation. I see them cutting a bunch of fringe studios for documentaries or whatever.
    They have already cancelled a few projects and are cancelling other shows. A shame, I really wanted to see the Bone animation.
    Retail sucks. Classic sucks. No positivity, only negative feedback. Why is everybody so damn miserable? Must be somebody else's fault, it couldn't possibly be my INSANELY TOXIC ATTITUDE.

  8. #8
    It wasn't as if their animation department was particularly good, they hit on 1 out of 10 shows, pretty much like everything else they do.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    It wasn't as if their animation department was particularly good, they hit on 1 out of 10 shows, pretty much like everything else they do.
    Bojack Horseman and Hilda are really good, as is Green Eggs and Ham. I'd say Netflix mostly makes good animated shows.

  10. #10
    Is Bojack a Netflix Original?

    If so, I consider Bojack the best animated show....ever. And that carries Netflix Animation on its own, imo.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by |Dexter| View Post
    Crunchyroll is here to stay! Maybe if they get some more subs they finally can fix their app and streaming service!
    I refuse to resub to Crunchyroll until they fix their app. It's a first requirement for me to give them any money.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

    Zyky is better than you.

  12. #12
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    11,979
    As long as they keep the next season of Arcane running I am fine :P
    Proof is boring. Proof is tiresome. Proof is irrelevance. People would rather be handed an easy lie than search for a difficult truth, especially when it suits their own purpose.
    - Glokta
    The Last Argument of Kings, The First Law Trilogy.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    As long as they keep the next season of Arcane running I am fine :P
    Which they will, because animation on Netflix comes from many, many different studios. There is literally nothing "grim" about this story, really.

  14. #14
    - Russia boycott
    - Pushing 'Netflix Adaptation' stuff (if you know what i mean)
    - Suddenly after many years they do not like 'sharing accounts outside household' which was one of their best things they offered
    - I think they increased price recently too?
    - Competition sites are getting better
    - People starting going back to pirating due all of these 'exclusive' content only available on X site

    Yeah... i wonder why they drop viewers.
    Personally i will probably leave soon too.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    - Russia boycott
    - Pushing 'Netflix Adaptation' stuff (if you know what i mean)
    - Suddenly after many years they do not like 'sharing accounts outside household' which was one of their best things they offered
    - I think they increased price recently too?
    - Competition sites are getting better
    - People starting going back to pirating due all of these 'exclusive' content only available on X site

    Yeah... i wonder why they drop viewers.
    Personally i will probably leave soon too.
    - people no longer in lockdown and no longer needing a subscription service to keep them entertained.

    Netflix haven't liked the account sharing thing for a good while now, they've just not really been able to do anything about it. It isn't sudden.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post

    Never cared about Netflix's "original" animation, like Castlevania, so if Netflix's animation department is being axed then I don't really care. Castlevania was garbage. Utterly unlikeable characters. Story moves at a snail's pace. Mediocre artstyle. Constant swearing. Ugh.
    I mean fair enough, but I think you are in a tiny minority with that. The show literally got a 8.3 ranking on IMDB as well as a 93/89% score on rotten tomatoes.

    It's completely fair to say that YOU did not like it, but calling it garbage is just objectively wrong.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    - people no longer in lockdown and no longer needing a subscription service to keep them entertained.
    Yeah, i totally forgot about lockdowns.

    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Netflix haven't liked the account sharing thing for a good while now, they've just not really been able to do anything about it. It isn't sudden.
    But it is like... 7 years or so of that.
    I pay for one account together with my friends and if they will ban this somehow i am out instantenously.

  18. #18
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    B'ham, AL
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Is Bojack a Netflix Original?

    If so, I consider Bojack the best animated show....ever. And that carries Netflix Animation on its own, imo.
    No its not - it was originally on Adult Swim I THINK (I want to say Comedy Central but no, I am almost sure it was on AS first lol).

    But that's what happens when Netflix buys a show - they immediately throw the "Netflix Original" at the start of the show no matter if it was or wasn't. They did the same with Lucifer (Fox Show they acquired 4th season) and now with Better Call Saul (AMC show originally - now has "Netflix Original" at the opening of this season and it never did before.)

    Now I can't speak to which networks Netflix owns now, or owned five years ago, or whatever - but for sure a "Netflix Original" at the start of the show does NOT mean Netflix created it from the start. It just means they own it now.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

  19. #19
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    72,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    No its not - it was originally on Adult Swim I THINK (I want to say Comedy Central but no, I am almost sure it was on AS first lol).
    Bojack was 100% Netflix from the outset;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BoJack_Horseman

    It did get pitched to Adult Swim, among other channels, but it was Netflix that picked it up;
    https://www.vulture.com/2018/09/boja...l-history.html

    There's been a lot of animated content at Netflix I've enjoyed. Love Death and Robots and Bojack, clearly, though the latter's already wrapped, but I've also enjoyed things like Castlevania, Arcane and Hilda. If we look at movies, Mitchells vs the Machines was one of the best animated films of its year.

    Netflix was producing a lot of good animation content. Sure, there's garbage too, but that's a call for tightening things up, not just ending it.
    Last edited by Endus; 2022-04-26 at 07:12 PM.


  20. #20
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    B'ham, AL
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Bojack was 100% Netflix from the outset;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BoJack_Horseman

    It did get pitched to Adult Swim, among other channels, but it was Netflix that picked it up;
    https://www.vulture.com/2018/09/boja...l-history.html
    So it never had seasons that were on regular cable?

    Really weird - I remember it being on "regular cable" (AS or CC I mean). Or at least, I remember all the commercials for it. I never watched it myself. (And haven't had Netflix for years and years so didn't know they were showing it at all.)

    Or was this a "Always Netflix - but had a couple of seasons on regular cable too?"

    Ok well - LUCIFER was originally a Fox show! Netflix had to buy it after Fox cancelled so I KNOW they didn't have that one first! =D
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •