Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Void Lord Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    41,470
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    What is this shit.
    I never plan to ever go to Texas or Florida if I can ever help it. But if others want to live like this they can move there and vote that way along with their residence, I don't want to work, live or be around this BS. Better there than here.
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  2. #22
    The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    24,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I never plan to ever go to Texas or Florida if I can ever help it. But if others want to live like this they can move there and vote that way along with their residence, I don't want to work, live or be around this BS. Better there than here.
    Your assumption that fascism can be concentrated and quarantined and doesn't spread is an... errant one.

    Missouri is already moving to make it legal for people to claim bounties on people who help Missouri women receive abortions in other states, completely outside the purview of Missouri law.

    Moreover, the GOP voting power of Texas and Florida mean that they are a constant threat to legislation and progress on a national scale. Were either of those states to fall from GOP favor, the Republicans would never have a shot at the white house again. And given their tenure in the past... well, let's generously say only 6 years, that sounds like a mighty fine prospect to me.

    Fascism need always be ripped out from the root and routed at every turn. Saying "fascists, go live there, we're good over here" is a great way to concentrate a bunch of hateful bigots who then start to decide they want to spread... by force, if necessary, because they aren't content to not just have you in their immediate vicinity... they don't want you around, anywhere.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  3. #23
    With all I hate about Disney and other giving money to both sides, but I believe they have gave about a 3 to 1 dollar donation to the Republicans. I wish they would flex here in that at least realizing getting rid of the far right assholes is in their benefit. Again, we get the idea they will support Republicans more cause they will crush any advantage that a Disney employee would get or paying more for regulation. So why not get this dude out and get the milquetoast Republican in there who will cater to them. This again is where these corporations are so greedy that just the threat of maybe some benefit going to say their employees is worth this hassle.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States…. [It is] nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”

    -Isaac Asimov

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Step 1 isn't going to happen. From what others were describing, the state of Florida doesn't really possess the ability to just dissolve a county without the resident's approval... who are all Disney employees... meaning it wont happen.

    So it sounds like this is yet another example of toothless GOP legislation never designed to pass, would immediately backfire if it did, but is nonetheless designed to appeal to their base to sound good to them to make up for their actual lack of governance ability.
    It’s not a county, it’s a special district.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I never plan to ever go to Texas or Florida if I can ever help it. But if others want to live like this they can move there and vote that way along with their residence, I don't want to work, live or be around this BS. Better there than here.
    Problem is, as we saw with the Texas abortion bill, other GOP states take notes and then mirror these asinine bills. It won’t stop in Florida.
    Fairy tales are more than true–not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman

  6. #26
    Stuff like this is yet another chapter in the book of "How do Republicans and people who vote for them not realize they're the bad guys?"

    What weird little bigoted snowflakes.

  7. #27
    This doesn't seem to make much sense to me, but I don't think making sense is the point.

    I suspect this is DeSantis laying yet more ground for a presidential run. He won't be governor of Florida when any potential fallout from this hits, so why would he care when he can use it to get a support bump from the base?

    It's more of the scorched earth short-term politics that's killing the US slowly through a thousand cuts.

  8. #28
    For those saying that Disney should just move to a different state. Yeah, that's not happening. Disney was in Florida way before DeSantis and will be there way after he's gone. And DeSantis picked the wrong multi media mega corporation to throw down with. Disney wouldn't even blink at spending a few hundred million in campaign ads to toss DeSantis. And it's not just DeSantis. I am sure Disney is now eyeing every Republican in the Florida legislature. And if that doesn't scare the hell out of them...

    Plus I am sure the legislature didn't consult with Orange or Osceola counties as to the extra costs this will hit them with if they are forced to take over responsibility for everything Disney has been doing on their property.
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    For those saying that Disney should just move to a different state. Yeah, that's not happening. Disney was in Florida way before DeSantis and will be there way after he's gone. And DeSantis picked the wrong multi media mega corporation to throw down with. Disney wouldn't even blink at spending a few hundred million in campaign ads to toss DeSantis. And it's not just DeSantis. I am sure Disney is now eyeing every Republican in the Florida legislature. And if that doesn't scare the hell out of them...
    Hoist by their own Citizens United petard.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    It's more of the scorched earth short-term politics that's killing the US slowly through a thousand cuts.
    The scorched earth is part of the point if you notice. They have been making it readily apparent that they will destroy it all rather than let it survive and thrive without them in control.

    Much like Russians media’s talk about how the world without Russia isn’t worth having, they treat it the same way. An America that isn’t run on hatred, bigotry and aristocracy isn’t an America they think SHOULD survive.

    Edit: thinking aristocracy was the proper word, can’t recall correctly and kinda sleepy at the moment
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It’s not a county, it’s a special district.
    Thank you bc I was getting real confused for a sec, I remember reading about how Disney got the land for itself long ago, but I didn't think it was classified as a "country". It's more like DC is right?

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Thank you bc I was getting real confused for a sec, I remember reading about how Disney got the land for itself long ago, but I didn't think it was classified as a "country". It's more like DC is right?
    Basically. It’s a carved out district that governs itself. If they dissolve it then Orlando is on the hook for all their debts, maintenance, fire, police, ems… DeSantis is fucking over everyone who lives there as it’ll require higher taxes to take care of that shit. Brilliance from a guy who often looks like he’s in the process of shitting himself.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Basically. It’s a carved out district that governs itself. If they dissolve it then Orlando is on the hook for all their debts, maintenance, fire, police, ems… DeSantis is fucking over everyone who lives there as it’ll require higher taxes to take care of that shit. Brilliance from a guy who often looks like he’s in the process of shitting himself.
    Oh I wasnt aware of that part, but I guess it does make sense who else would be responsible at that point

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Basically. It’s a carved out district that governs itself. If they dissolve it then Orlando is on the hook for all their debts, maintenance, fire, police, ems… DeSantis is fucking over everyone who lives there as it’ll require higher taxes to take care of that shit. Brilliance from a guy who often looks like he’s in the process of shitting himself.
    It also makes it a lot harder for Disney to build and maintain their park, because they'll have to go through the permit stuff of the other counties.

    Disney can apply to get their district back, so it will be interesting to see how that goes - any denial of their application would surely go to court, where Florida would have to explain on what grounds they would deny Disney but not any of the many other companies and organizations that have similar arrangements in the state.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    It also makes it a lot harder for Disney to build and maintain their park, because they'll have to go through the permit stuff of the other counties.

    Disney can apply to get their district back, so it will be interesting to see how that goes - any denial of their application would surely go to court, where Florida would have to explain on what grounds they would deny Disney but not any of the many other companies and organizations that have similar arrangements in the state.
    Also Disney maintains their property 100 times better than the county ever will. Appearances matter to Disney. So there aren't any overgrown medians with weeds, potholes, etc. The counties just got burdened with a about a hundred miles of roads, a few fire stations (with trucks to maintain and firemen to pay), god only knows how many utilities to inspect, own and maintain. I'll laugh my ass off if Disney & the Reedy Creek District takes their yearly expenditures for doing all of this and sends it to the local newspaper to print. With a nice big headline "This is What DeSantis Just Cost You"
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Yeah, the smart thing for the state would have been for DeSantis to just shut up and move on. But since Trump got them to take the mask off and show just how much of a racist bunch they really are and they think they can get away with it, the GOP is trying to flex on Disney thinking Disney has no options here.

    It's almost like these racist, xenophobic and cowardly fucks see their generation and views dying and would rather burn it all down to preserve it than watch the world succeed in a way they dislike.

    And as much as I hate having to side with Disney given their abuses over the years, especially in regard to copyright laws, cause be the carrier, they shouldn't be punished for actually doing the right thing like the GOP are attempting.

    I would like to see Disney actually call this and respond by moving their workers and their entire operation out of the state into another state entirely and take all that revenue with them.

    Florida loses all that money from Disney directly, loses all their tourism and are generally left with elderly trying to make their socialism checks stretch in a state that relies on other states paying their bills for them to keep the state running (All while ironically complaining about moochers) and the beach goers which will be much fewer as well without Disney there.

    Disney closing shop there and reopening in a place with fewer hurricanes and more comfortable weather and more accessible to most other states than Florida is could see them as a net win.

    Plot twist, Disney opens up in a rural area in northern Texas and flips it blue making it even harder for Texan's to gerrymander the state.
    When exactly did corporatism become synonymous with Democrats? That one really snuck up on me.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    When exactly did corporatism become synonymous with Democrats? That one really snuck up on me.
    Nice try but already addressed that lie you just attempted to spread when I pointed out that it was weird having to stand up for Disney with all the messed up stuff they have done but, cause be the carrier, you shouldn’t punish a group for actually doing the right thing.

    Try again.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    With all I hate about Disney and other giving money to both sides, but I believe they have gave about a 3 to 1 dollar donation to the Republicans. I wish they would flex here in that at least realizing getting rid of the far right assholes is in their benefit. Again, we get the idea they will support Republicans more cause they will crush any advantage that a Disney employee would get or paying more for regulation. So why not get this dude out and get the milquetoast Republican in there who will cater to them. This again is where these corporations are so greedy that just the threat of maybe some benefit going to say their employees is worth this hassle.
    Reap what you sow.
    Disney and other big companies spend years/decades funding crazy monsters and the problem with these monsters is that it's never enough because there is always somebody worse.

    Palin used to be seen as the crazy stupid republican...

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Also Disney maintains their property 100 times better than the county ever will. Appearances matter to Disney. So there aren't any overgrown medians with weeds, potholes, etc. The counties just got burdened with a about a hundred miles of roads, a few fire stations (with trucks to maintain and firemen to pay), god only knows how many utilities to inspect, own and maintain. I'll laugh my ass off if Disney & the Reedy Creek District takes their yearly expenditures for doing all of this and sends it to the local newspaper to print. With a nice big headline "This is What DeSantis Just Cost You"
    This certainly is the Libertarian viewpoint on this situation I’ll give you that.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Nice try but already addressed that lie you just attempted to spread when I pointed out that it was weird having to stand up for Disney with all the messed up stuff they have done but, cause be the carrier, you shouldn’t punish a group for actually doing the right thing.

    Try again.
    So you changed your mind and think Disney moving to a rural Texas county would be politically neutral? I’m not following here.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    When exactly did corporatism become synonymous with Democrats? That one really snuck up on me.
    Almost everybody hates corporations. The GOP thought that they could keep their base from hating corporations if they gave them a suitable distraction. That worked for years but now their primary donors are less willing to play this game since left wingers like to spend money too.

    The Dems aren't as pro-corporate as the GOP and are less willing to bend over for corporations but at least they don't do blatantly evil shit and do that shit very loudly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •