Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cantrip View Post
    Well, sorry, but you are actually a representative of one of the biggest wow online communities, don't you think they handle you differently than others? My problem here is that i only know a story about a low level streamer who made an interview once, and yes, he had to sign agreements, and yes, the questions were handshaked beforehand. But as i will not call names, this is not going to be a very convincing argument
    No, I don't think they handle us differently (especially because I have friends who work/have worked with other sites who have similar experiences). Why would how big the site is matter? But more obviously: Why would they take the time to review all the questions in advance if they have the complete freedom to just say "I can't/won't answer that" in the interview?

These aren't live interviews for a reason. Companies who vet questions in advance are generally doing it for live broadcast so they aren't caught looking bad. Outside of Blizzcon -- where the stage moderators do vet -- Blizzard isn't giving live interviews with third parties. So they can just say "no" and you move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostfred View Post
    The problem with some of the more direct questions (e.g. about some features and future plans) given in this thread is, that in 99% of cases they will just yield a general response like "Yeah, we discussed that, and it's definitely a possibility for the future...". Which tells the interviewer and the audience nothing, so they tend to avoid such questions. Imagine an interview of just such questions, and in the end you'd be none the wiser. In the other 1%, they're already working on it and decided to release the information in that moment already. Otherwise, they'd just do it a bit later on.

So it's imo not an issue of "bad questions", but "questions that will most likely yield some response or additional information".
    Basically this.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2022-04-22 at 06:48 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Policies about this are likely set company by company. Some more strict than others.

The offensive stuff throughout this thread is that questioners aren't interested enough in creating "gotcha" moments. They are interviewing and writing for their audience, whoever that is.
    ok, no problem here imo. i believe that.

but then the question of OP still holds true. since 10+ years you see many many many many interviews pre release of all the xpacs. and 90% of all interview questions are always the same. never some of the questions that are often discussed here, or that streamers bring up a lot, are questioned in an interview. besides the totally obvious or typical ones. and i am not talking about „gotcha“ questions or doing interviews to let look Blizz bad or good or whatever etc.

never i heard things like

- will the LFG tool be improved?
    - will specific bug XY (existing since 3+ years) gets fixed?
    - why don’t implement a mechanic that detects guild grps for MasterLoot while use PL in pugs?
    - does Blizzard data show that Hunter Survival spec is well played enough (player amount) to not change back to range?

and many many more of something along those lines. maybe my examples are not good. but as someone who is playing wow since 2005, without any interruption and being on mmoc since 10 years on a daily base, while watched every interview or Blizzcon Virtual Ticket… i have to say i TOTALLY understand where OP is coming from. and it’s just VERY suspicious that literally NOONE ever asked questions outside the default bias.

at least imo.

ps: as a funny side fact, for above statements, if i not missed it, not a SINGLE person in a SINGLE question asked anything about the Jailor like „i assume we don’t see that guy ever again?“. i mean, come on. we all know the answer. we all know we are happy to forget all that as fast as possible. but: not a SINGLE question? and you really don’t find that a bit strange ??? at least a bit?
    Last edited by Niwes; 2022-04-24 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    The community is usually too busy shouting out their guild name and server, how long they played, their life story, the race and class they play etc. before they even ask a question. And then when they actually start asking a question they give a 30 second backstory to why they asked the question. And the question is "new boomkin skin?"

Watching the old blizzcon question and answers will give you a migraine with how much time is wasted.
    Hey I had a piece of toast with fre sh Avac adoo one time 1994, and then today I was having a bit of non localized chest pain, but really I just wanted to let you know that I used to play a shaman back in vanilla, until my guild died when tbc came out, and i switched to paladin main, and belf paladins were better than alliance paladins back in tbc, did you know that? Not many people know that horde paladins had more dps from their seals. But then on lich king I made a death knight called xxAarthaaasxx69 and no one would ever let me in their groups without linking gearscore and cheevo. But anyways, I quit playing until mists of pandaria. Then I came back and my talent trees were gone, what are you doing to bring that old school feeling of talent trees in the next expac?
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nork View Post
    Everytime I see an interview with Blizzard that has been posted in Wowhead or here, I always think the same thing: why do they ask banal questions all the time?
    Because questions (typically) have to be vetted by PR and legal and some other departments. Dev interviews are only allowed to reveal X amount of information as determined by their bosses.

Also, the interviewers also want to ask questions that don't get them labeled as "unfriendly" because that limits their ability to do future work with those devs.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    We already know how many dungeons there will be?
    And that there won't be a tank spec.

But as said, the questions are vetted before. Why do you think Blizzard would answer questions that reveal major details anyway like if there's new races instead of just saving them for promotions?
    Yeah in the hazel interview Ion said 8 dungeons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everytime I see an interview with Blizzard that has been posted in Wowhead or here, I always think the same thing: why do they ask banal questions all the time? Since this expansion has been announced, I haven't seen a single question on new allied races, nor a question on how many dungeons are there gonna be, nor if they will add a tank spec for the Evoker in the future...

Blizzard should ask the community and choose the most voted ones, because the people who are interviewing them tend to ask silly questions so many times.
    Bad questions? Sounds subjective to me. They have to plan the questions correctly to not get the same output for everything, as well, there are questions that the interviewers might like answers to more than others? In the end, it is them running the interview.

And no, the community should not be involved in a process of choosing someone else's questions. If they have questions, and that they can formulate them correctly, then they should write the said question on the forum, or during a Q&A if they ever return again.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    We already know how many dungeons there will be?
    And that there won't be a tank spec.

But as said, the questions are vetted before. Why do you think Blizzard would answer questions that reveal major details anyway like if there's new races instead of just saving them for promotions?
    8 100% sure xD for 10.0 maybe they will add more with next patch but while they got option just to make old dungeons mythic or no there will be new ulduman dungeon but i dont know if they gonna put it into those basic 8 - 3bosses dungeons

Everytime I see an interview with Blizzard that has been posted in Wowhead or here, I always think the same thing: why do they ask banal questions all the time? Since this expansion has been announced, I haven't seen a single question on new allied races, nor a question on how many dungeons are there gonna be, nor if they will add a tank spec for the Evoker in the future...

Blizzard should ask the community and choose the most voted ones, because the people who are interviewing them tend to ask silly questions so many times.
    the question examples you gave are literaly worse than any question i have ever seen in those videos lol

*they said how many dungeons there will be
    *they said the evoker has 2 specs,why on earth would you ever think they would add another spec?
    *allied races unless they are announced with the xpac will come as a surprise and wont be spoiled in a q&a

@Tziva
    Asmongold has an interview with Ion Hazzikostas in a few minutes. He just told his audience they handshaked the questions beforehand. Especially he should not ask a question again which Taliesin and Evitel already asked.
    I like how this is framed as conspiratorial, as if asking a game developer questions about a product is somehow the same as softball political interviews due to access journalism (an actual problem).

Some of y'all need to get a grip. Ion isn't out there trying to justify a war, he's talking about some features in a video game.

I don't think treating an interview with the designer of a video game the same way as an actual public figure is reasonable, no. He's not the chairman of the fed or the defense secretary.

Like, what do people think is going to happen if Ion or whoever sit down with somehow who fires off non-stop "gotchas" or rants about design? Does anyone actually believe this would end up making the game better? Again, this isn't a politician you are trying to catch in a lie for the public good, its just a dude trying to make a fun video game.

Even if you hate him, hot take questions from an interviewer are not going to change the way the game is made, nor are they going to point out something the developers aren't aware of. That type of thing will have to come from actual feedback elsewhere.

The only thing interesting that came out of these frankly is maybe a view of their thought process on x y or z (or delving more deeply into a feature we don't know much about yet).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    The information on flying not being available ...
    They said "Dragon Riding is not replacing mounts in Dragon Isles. There will still be plenty of new ones to collect.", nothing about flying still being available.

It's my expectation it will come back in 10.2 or thereabouts, but at launch it won't.
    Yeah this one is a particular weird one. WoWhead came out first saying that "normal flying" wasn't a thing and later (in their discord) claimed that they were told that specifically.

But then just recently we had the twitter space interview which clarified that "normal flying" eventually will be brought to DF so players can still use their old flying mounts in flying but initially the system moving forward is dragon riding and that dragon riding would be the default system players will want to use (because maybe it's faster? or at least more engaging?)

Alternatively, it could be interpreted that the Devs saw the building backlash for removing "normal flight" and backtracked hard to say "normal flying" would eventually make it way to DF...just not initially.

Even before the twitter space interview, the Blizzplanet interview with Jackie Wiley and Tina Wang seem to indicate that normal flying wasn't something the team was working on now with more emphasis on dragon riding.

In other words, this is a developing story and players should keep an eye out for more developments.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    never i heard things like

- will the LFG tool be improved?
    - will specific bug XY (existing since 3+ years) gets fixed?
    - why don’t implement a mechanic that detects guild grps for MasterLoot while use PL in pugs?
    - does Blizzard data show that Hunter Survival spec is well played enough (player amount) to not change back to range?
    But those aren't broadly appealing questions. As someone who doesn't player a hunter, who cares about Survival spec? As someone who doesn't PvE, why would they care about master loot?

I mean what if an interviewer spent their time with Ion askin' about Pet Battles and Pet Battle Dungeons? Sure it would be great for the players that enjoy Pet Battling but for the raider, the M+ runner, the PvPer it would be a waste of time.

Getting into the nitty details about something you care about is great... for you but not necessarily for everyone else. I think that's important to keep in mind when we look at these broad interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    ps: as a funny side fact, for above statements, if i not missed it, not a SINGLE person in a SINGLE question asked anything about the Jailor like „i assume we don’t see that guy ever again?“. i mean, come on. we all know the answer. we all know we are happy to forget all that as fast as possible. but: not a SINGLE question? and you really don’t find that a bit strange ??? at least a bit?
    No, it's not strange. The interviews for DF are to help promote DF... why would you talk about SL when you're talking about DF unless it's about how the devs are taking something from SL into DF (i.e. Great Vault, M+ Season 4, etc).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    *they said the evoker has 2 specs,why on earth would you ever think they would add another spec?
    Death Knights when introduced had 3 specs.
    Monks when introduced had 3 specs.

Only DH (and now Evokers) have 2 specs.

So not really out of the realm of possibility?
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Tziva
    Asmongold has an interview with Ion Hazzikostas in a few minutes. He just told his audience they handshaked the questions beforehand. Especially he should not ask a question again which Taliesin and Evitel already asked.
    I assume it is a live or video interview then, which makes more sense. Those are usually the contexts in which interview questions might be reviewed in advance (for Blizzard and in other media) because the person doesn't want to be caught looking like an idiot if a question catches them off guard, because it's live or video where they can't control the edit. It's also a lot harder to just say "no, I'm not answering that" I think in that context, and it probably looks really goofy if they can see your PR babysitter sitting with you telling you what you can and can't say.

This isn't (or hasn't been) the norm though; Blizzard does these kinds of interviews with third parties very infrequently. You'll notice in the past usually they do them live on Twitch and there is a Blizzard CM or PR person picking the questions off of twitter or that have been preselected by Blizzard themselves. The overwhelming majority of interviews they do with third party don't end up releasing the audio/video; they're just print summaries, and in this context the questions are not reviewed in advance; they just do it as the interview is occurring.

But I guess they are doing a lot of content creator interviews this time around and with the pandemic and people not being flown into press events, I suppose it makes sense to do it this way (for them).

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashana Darkmoon View Post
    I don't think treating an interview with the designer of a video game the same way as an actual public figure is reasonable, no. He's not the chairman of the fed or the defense secretary.

Like, what do people think is going to happen if Ion or whoever sit down with somehow who fires off non-stop "gotchas" or rants about design? Does anyone actually believe this would end up making the game better? Again, this isn't a politician you are trying to catch in a lie for the public good, its just a dude trying to make a fun video game.

Even if you hate him, hot take questions from an interviewer are not going to change the way the game is made, nor are they going to point out something the developers aren't aware of. That type of thing will have to come from actual feedback elsewhere.

The only thing interesting that came out of these frankly is maybe a view of their thought process on x y or z (or delving more deeply into a feature we don't know much about yet).
    I don’t think they realize it’s not a debate. It’s important to recognize there’s a human being on the other end and they need time to prepare full (and non-spoiler) answers.

If the interviewee is treated without respect, no matter how wrong they are, they walk out or cut the interview short.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    Just because they don't ask the specific questions you're interested in, doesn't make their questions bad.
    It does. Those questions can easily be answered without needing someone to actually talk.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Strawman arguement.
    It's not a strawman if those questions are literally threads on this very forum...

10+ Year Old Account
    While there's a lot of subjectivity based on what we personally are interested in, I think it's pretty safe to say a "good" question is one that reveals new insight or information that hasn't been addressed previously/elsewhere.

I might not give a shit about PvP but if an interview obtains information about arena changes that no one knew beforehand, it was a good question. Conversely, asking a question about something I am interested in but has already been answered elsewhere is useless. That's also part of why you don't see a lot of critical questions; the majority of them aren't actually going to actually provide any info of value, even if Blizzard does respond (and they might not).

| twitch | bsky
    |

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Strawman arguement.

• Will you add more solo challenges like the Mage Tower?
    • Will reputation questlines come back?
    • The coomunity has asked for Tinker/Dark Ranger/Necromancer and Ogres/Naga/Sethrak for a long time. Why did you choose draconians over them?
    Better questions:

1. "What challenges do you and the dev team face when adding new solo challenges on a per spec/per class basis like the Mage Tower, or adding one dungeon every patch, and how do you look to alleviate them?"

2. "What sort of reputation quest lines do you feel confident you can deliver for the launch, or in the future of Dragonflight and beyond, in the vein of, for example, Suramar?"

3. "Many players have asked for very specific classes like Tinker, Dark Ranger/Necromancer, and other races, did you choose Drac'thyr and Evoker because they were thematic to the expansion, and what kind of situation could you forsee where you added one that wasn't?"

10+ Year Old Account
    @Tziva
    That seems sensible doesn't it? It makes for a better, less repetitive interview. Everyone bitches about how publications ask the same stupid questions and here they are trying to make sure that the same questions aren't asked yet again. You imply that's a conspiracy of some sort.

I think it's smart, makes Asmongold and Ion look good and we get more information than we would otherwise.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Because All those questions were already answered.

No allied races
    8 dungeons
    They will not add tank spec to enwoker. Its caster class.

Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post
    Yeah this one is a particular weird one. WoWhead came out first saying that "normal flying" wasn't a thing and later (in their discord) claimed that they were told that specifically.

But then just recently we had the twitter space interview which clarified that "normal flying" eventually will be brought to DF so players can still use their old flying mounts in flying but initially the system moving forward is dragon riding and that dragon riding would be the default system players will want to use (because maybe it's faster? or at least more engaging?)

Alternatively, it could be interpreted that the Devs saw the building backlash for removing "normal flight" and backtracked hard to say "normal flying" would eventually make it way to DF...just not initially.

Even before the twitter space interview, the Blizzplanet interview with Jackie Wiley and Tina Wang seem to indicate that normal flying wasn't something the team was working on now with more emphasis on dragon riding.

In other words, this is a developing story and players should keep an eye out for more developments.

- - - Updated - - -

But those aren't broadly appealing questions. As someone who doesn't player a hunter, who cares about Survival spec? As someone who doesn't PvE, why would they care about master loot?

I mean what if an interviewer spent their time with Ion askin' about Pet Battles and Pet Battle Dungeons? Sure it would be great for the players that enjoy Pet Battling but for the raider, the M+ runner, the PvPer it would be a waste of time.

Getting into the nitty details about something you care about is great... for you but not necessarily for everyone else. I think that's important to keep in mind when we look at these broad interviews.

No, it's not strange. The interviews for DF are to help promote DF... why would you talk about SL when you're talking about DF unless it's about how the devs are taking something from SL into DF (i.e. Great Vault, M+ Season 4, etc).

- - - Updated - - -

Death Knights when introduced had 3 specs.
    Monks when introduced had 3 specs.

Only DH (and now Evokers) have 2 specs.

So not really out of the realm of possibility?
    thats why you do different interviews (and they did/do MANY) in the first place. to ask different (and yes, also niche) things. otherwise you get 10 different interviews with the same 5 questions and same 5 answers. and in the end we just have 5 answers. which is the reason why we even discuss here (see OP).

lets say we have 10 interviewers with 10 questions. when every interviewer asks different stuff, even heavy niche stuff, we get 100 different topics. many ppls will find something in there for them. but when these 10 interviewers ask the exact same 10 questions, we get 10 answers. this is 90% less. 90/100 lost answers. and that’s why it’s stupid. niches, broad enough spreaded, are no problem. because with 100 answers you hit every niche. the problem starts when you hit 0 niches, for noone, because you just have 10 answers.

or in short: what you wrote is imo totally stupid (sorry for the harsh term) and you described with a negative-example exactly how it SHOULD be in the first place.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2022-04-29 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kappalol View Post
    Because All those questions were already answered.

No allied races
    8 dungeons
    They will not add tank spec to enwoker. Its caster class.
    No shit.

Thanks for the info.