Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The player housing or whatever it's called is one of the most stupid ideas WoW community came up with.

It seriously serves no purpose other than RP, while it would take a lot of resources to actually make it work. Remember Garrisons? Now imagine Blizzard trying to implement Garrisons all across the Azeroth for every player. Evn if they were just a small part of it, like 1/5, it'd still require a lot of work just for simple "house".

If you want to RP, then join a random RP server or just do realm-hops with the LFG tool and do the RP there - on dead servers, or in the places where are currently no players.
    I don't care that other games have it also, it doesn't matter. It's like saying there should be the same things or rules in each sport. WoW isn't another MMO, it's just WoW. We have the main hubs/cities. Stormwind was so dead in the previous expansions it's just sad.

Afterall it's WoW, not Sims.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2022-04-23 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    The player housing or whatever it's called is one of the most stupid ideas WoW community came up with.

It seriously serves no purpose other than RP, while it would take a lot of resources to actually make it work. Remember Garrisons? Now imagine Blizzard trying to implement Garrisons all across the Azeroth for every player. Evn if they were just a small part of it, like 1/5, it'd still require a lot of work just for simple "house".

If you want to RP, then join a random RP server or just do realm-hops with the LFG tool and do the RP there - on dead servers, or in the places where are currently no players.
    I don't care that other games have it also, it doesn't matter. It's like saying there should be the same things or rules in each sport. WoW isn't another MMO, it's just WoW. We have the main hubs/cities. Stormwind was so dead in the previous expansions it's just sad.

Except, most people don't RP in their houses in MMOs. They have fun designing them, hanging out with friends, helping other people design their houses, meeting up for any other reason that people meet up in MMOs, etc.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    Blizzard is not poor
    Instead of hiring people whose sole job is to make housing a functional system, they tend to spread their teams over several jobs.
    you do realise they are BUSINESS in the first place, right? hiring people which would cost them x USD to make feature they dont believe would bring enough players to make even half of that is TERRIBLE idea in business... if they believed it would bring enough resources to pay for itself at least they would definitely do that...

As I detailed before, they have nearly all the functional pieces to make housing a thing
    so the developers who actualy made the game say it would take time and resources, but you, who only play it, if so, and most likely have no clue about game development at all, you know better... okay, keep believing that...
    btw it taking shitloads of time and resources, apart from being clear to anyone who ever managed literaly ANY project, is not really "recent" excuse, they said it in different words about half a dozen times since vanila...

I wouldn't mind housing although its not really a big deal to me per say. Might be a cool way to add an outlet for player creativity and add a secondary profession to the game to make items and such. My worry is with WoW when they invest time into things like this they feel the need to force a system into it that is required to play the expansion. So some daily bullshit to do chores around the house so your connection with home is strong enough to allow you do x,y,z type bullshit. It wouldn't be hard for them to just have some instance portal somewhere.. it zooms you into a house.. and you can have people in your group join and come inside.

Except, most people don't RP in their houses in MMOs. They have fun designing them, hanging out with friends, helping other people design their houses, meeting up for any other reason that people meet up in MMOs, etc.
    im always laughing when half posts on mmo-c claim like wow players care about nothing but power and minmaxing and then other half claim that social feature, with no power tied to it, would be popular in wow bcs it is in other mmos...

I feel bad for Blizzard here. Sometimes, it's ok to tell the community no. They're going to eventually cave, and implement player housing. The expansion that this will come in will suck, because all the development time will be spent on that one new feature.

Then players will complain that the expansion sucks, has no content, AND they still couldn't get housing right, and it will suck too.

When the reality is, player housing is just a really bad feature of any game, that primarily caters to immature, childish plebs. I remember the first time I saw player housing...I don't remember what game it was, but I was floored at how ridiculous it was. But coming from the pothead loser friend I had at the time that was showing it to me, it didn't surprise me at all why they thought it was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post
    There are too many issues with player housing.

First consider spacing... Especially in non-instanced version of player housing. How many "slots" would there be in SW or Orgrimmar? 10? 50? 100? And how many players are there on a server? Even if you put in some draconian system to "clear" out abandoned slots so that players can claim them, it's still going to take up a ton of space.

Second, consider exterior moderation. Assuming that player housing would be fully customizable both externally and internally then you can get some real eye-sores if folks wanted to Troll others. Or they could use their housing to reflect their political opinions for everyone to see. Who is to judge that you can't use Blue and Yellow colors on the exterior of your player house?

Third, consider the engine itself. WoW isn't built to be a decoration/house simulator where you can freely rotate and place items in the game world. We're talking a massive rewrite of the game (or at least portions of the game code). It would be easier to build a new MMO with those features included from the ground floor than to try to mangle 15+ year old code to handle it.

Fourth, resource allocation is always a factor. Yes Activision-Blizzard pulls in a lot of money from subs, but that money has to pay for everything from servers to devs to yes even the CEO (and shareholders). The return on investment must be high enough for the resources allocated if player housing to really be developed. So put it in this way to the player base, what are you willing to give up for player housing in an xpac? Are you willing to have ZERO dungeons? ZERO raids? ZERO new places to explore? ZERO new armor sets/weapon designs/mounts/battle pets? Are players willing to pay $60 and a 1 1/2 year's worth of sub cost just for player housing? Ok ZERO is extreme but how about fewer by at least half as much of those content areas.

- - - Updated - - -

Hiring more people actually can be a bad thing as team size grows efficiency goes down. Corporate bureaucracy starts creeping in as you need to add in folks to not only oversee the work but to review it all to make sure that it all works.

And then when someone wants to make a change to something (anything) it has to be passed up the chain before it can be acted upon.
    If Blizzard ever introduces housing, it'll be phased either in a fixed location like Garrisons were or it'll be entirely instanced.

It's hardly a new concept either. That's how housing worked in Wildstar and Rift.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    Thats not a good reason why the game shouldnt be improved,housing should always be an mmo staple,not having a home in your rpg world where you spend time saving it countless times is sad
    Quite the opposite. Having a place to be alone in an MMO is sad. Just log off when you don't want to play. Treating WoW like a second life is unhealthy imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, I love how there are people who will complain that WoW isn't social anymore. Then completely turn around and straight face deny any kind of feature meant to make things more social. If WoW only sticks with Raiding, M+, and PvP and does not add other fun features, the already stale playerbase will just turn moldy.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Nor is a mythic raid, and yet we have those.

I disagree. Most do care and you do not need to add any content or power to it. That was garrisons and that didn't work.
    All it needs to be is your own place in the world which you can customise. Parts can be crafted and/or come from doing all sorts of content. Housing is like pets/mounts or transmog.
    At least 15% of the WoW playerbase at least clears the first mythic boss in a raid so its not a small number who at least clear heroic and try mythic, housing doesnt solve WoWs main problem and that is lack of content, housing is fine when there is plenty to do but it shouldnt be added while sacrificing meaninful content for the whole playerbase.

WoWs best content is its group and raid content, if it could make solo content even half as good and increased the amount to do then you could have your housing.

Without actual benefits to having a house its just a novelty that doesnt last.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    This is entirely based on the assumption items or materials for items would be tradable, and really doesnt address the point raised.
    Of course it address the point. A long term additional source of income isn't a waste of development time. Look at pets. People bitched at it being a waste of development time and yet people are still doing pet battle shit and those that don't are still selling pets on the AH.

And why on earth would Blizzard make a housing system where everything is soulbound? And even if they did there would still be players that would use the housing system so even then it wouldn't be a waste of dev time. Otherwise you could say they might as well stop making raids since the majority of players don't raid.

It serves plenty of purposes:

1. New things to collect for collectors.

2. New things to sell for sellers.

3. New things to show off for people that like to show shit off.

4. New ways to be creative in game.

5. RP for Rper's

6. More reasons to do older content (as they would likely add housing shit to old content like pets)
    Last edited by qwerty123456; 2022-04-23 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    im always laughing when half posts on mmo-c claim like wow players care about nothing but power and minmaxing and then other half claim that social feature, with no power tied to it, would be popular in wow bcs it is in other mmos...
    I have a crazy concept, you're never going to believe it, but not everyone is the same person and different people like different things.

I'm sure I just detonated entire arteries in your brain with that revelation, but it's totally true. There are people who enjoy things just to enjoy things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    you do realise they are BUSINESS in the first place, right? hiring people which would cost them x USD to make feature they dont believe would bring enough players to make even half of that is TERRIBLE idea in business... if they believed it would bring enough resources to pay for itself at least they would definitely do that...

so the developers who actualy made the game say it would take time and resources, but you, who only play it, if so, and most likely have no clue about game development at all, you know better... okay, keep believing that...
    btw it taking shitloads of time and resources, apart from being clear to anyone who ever managed literaly ANY project, is not really "recent" excuse, they said it in different words about half a dozen times since vanila...
    Ah yes, because Blizzard has only made wise decisions for business, right? They've never made stupid decisions. They've never ignored player feedback. They've never said "we don't have the resources" when they absolutely have. They've never literally told people what they do and don't want, only to have to make what people want later. It's not like they've been literally booed off stage for an announcement due to business decisions.

(That was all sarcasm, if you couldn't tell)

Get real. Blizzard has always been slow on the uptake when it comes to what people want, and what is popular.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    It serves plenty of purposes:

1. New things to collect for collectors.

2. New things to sell for sellers.

3. New things to show off for people that like to show shit off.

4. New ways to be creative in game.

5. RP for Rper's

6. More reasons to do older content (as they would likely add housing shit to old content like pets)
    Although I agree, I wouldn't like to have them. It seems like a lot of work. As I wrote above, it would require really high amount of resources... especially when player would like to have houses all across the Azeroth. Garrison was a pain in the ass with plenty of bugs and it was in 2 places only.

I could see it only as a... portal to some kind of room(rooms?), to save some space, so it would work like an instance instead of like a Garrison. We could have different instaces for different players, instead of many houses all across the Azeroth.

That's a cool concept, it wouldn't personally affect me. Although I fear it kind could, because they would have to swap their resources from the things I like(raids, M+, dungeons, PvP etc.). They have finite sources and finite amount of designers and workers, so I doubt they would make a special team only for housing while not hurting the other parts of the game...

Although I agree, I wouldn't like to have them. It seems like a lot of work. As I wrote above, it would require really high amount of resources... especially when player would like to have houses all across the Azeroth. Garrison was a pain in the ass with plenty of bugs and it was in 2 places only.

I could see it only as a... portal to some kind of room(rooms?), to save some space, so it would work like an instance instead of like a Garrison. We could have different instaces for different players, instead of many houses all across the Azeroth.

That's a cool concept, it wouldn't personally affect me. Although I fear it kind could, because they would have to swap their resources from the things I like(raids, M+, dungeons, PvP etc.). They have finite sources and finite amount of designers and workers, so I doubt they would make a special team only for housing while not hurting the other parts of the game...
    Look how shit the Shadowlands story was. None of it made any sense and they partially made the runecarver memory mechanic actual lore and partially just some random mechanic they used to give us something to do. The Primus's gathering armor mechanic went nowhere. Now look how this is a story expansion with us having archeologist factions at the forefront and how we aren't getting archeology this expansion. They are already hurting the game by not hiring more devs and its only going to continue to get worse unless they slow down on the new content or get more people. And a new system like housing might take a lot of work and devs to get up and running but once its in the game you need less resources to continually develop content for it.

If it was like wildstar housing you would have a portal to your housing plot and then could transfer to other peoples plots if you wanted to. ESO housing has specific areas where you can buy a house out in the world but your home is actually has its on instance so the home you see out in the world isn't yours. Very few mmos with housing actually put millions of different homes all over the place so I don't think Blizzard would make a ton of houses all across Azeroth maybe just 1-2 per zone but remember this would be a mechanic that they continue through multiple expansions so its not like we would have 100 different homes in one expansion if they decided to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    At least 15% of the WoW playerbase at least clears the first mythic boss in a raid so its not a small number who at least clear heroic and try mythic, housing doesnt solve WoWs main problem and that is lack of content, housing is fine when there is plenty to do but it shouldnt be added while sacrificing meaninful content for the whole playerbase.

WoWs best content is its group and raid content, if it could make solo content even half as good and increased the amount to do then you could have your housing.

Without actual benefits to having a house its just a novelty that doesnt last.
    So, shall we stop adding mounts and transmogs and pets as well?

Housing adds to groups content. It populates every kind of content where rewards can be placed and i'm pretty sure it will be more popular than 15%.

I guess someone should tell FF players that housing is a novelty that doesn't last 8 years later as they struggle to get a plot for themselves and have to participate in lotteries for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    If Housing is such an important player driving feature, why did Wildstar die again? Why is Rift basically dead? Why is New World on its ass? Why has Archeage tanked?

People aren't playing FFXIV simply because of its fucking player housing (which by the way is pretty bad to begin with)
    Those games died because they had raiding in them.

See, I can make stupid arguments too.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    So, shall we stop adding mounts and transmogs and pets as well?

Housing adds to groups content. It populates every kind of content where rewards can be placed and i'm pretty sure it will be more popular than 15%.

I guess someone should tell FF players that housing is a novelty that doesn't last 8 years later as they struggle to get a plot for themselves and have to participate in lotteries for it.
    FF at least has plenty content for players and a limited housing availability, WoW doesnt offer enough content in the first place, a game should not add novelty content until it solves actual content first, housing is novelty content and adds nothing intersting.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

I’d love player housing, if done correctly.
    It could be a fun side project to own property, invest some gold into (even though some players might gripe) for things like extra floors and/or rooms. Could have various things drop decorative items, such as old raids and dungeons that are easy to solo, or even group activities like PvP and dungeons/raids.
    Put some spin to it, like if you want to have some an entire theme based off of tech like gnomes/goblins, some woodsy elements for NEs, or some brick style architecture for Humans & Worgens, just to name a few.
    Could even utilize the phasing tech already in game so people don’t struggle for real estate areas, like in FF14.
    I’m hoping that the latest interview where he stated the team is interested in housing, but would likely take several xpacs to get it right, means they have been working on it and it’s just not ready yet. Maybe we could see it by next xpac, or even some traces of it by the end of Dragonflight.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Or they could just use those ressources for something useful.
    Like they wasted their resources on things like Dragon Flying... Who asked for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Redroniksre View Post
    Man, I love how there are people who will complain that WoW isn't social anymore. Then completely turn around and straight face deny any kind of feature meant to make things more social. If WoW only sticks with Raiding, M+, and PvP and does not add other fun features, the already stale playerbase will just turn moldy.
    Player housing doesn't kake the game more social. It does the exact opposite. It will make it even more anti-social when everyone is sitting alone in their instance just like WOD.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Those games died because they had raiding in them.

See, I can make stupid arguments too.
    But it isnt a stupid argument. All you pro-housing people claim that player housing will bring all kinds of new players and grow the game. Well, if that is so why didn't those games that died grow? It counters the pro-housing players arguments directly.