Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    This sounds like cognitive dissonance to me. If flying is bad because it removes danger, then so is the ability to no-daze run through and ignore entire packs on the way to your destination. There is little practical difference, and no, seeing your hp go down by 20% on your way does not suddenly make it more dangerous than flying over it.
    You too Grossly misunderstand the debate and hide behind easy arguments like choice, freedom and self-control. It is about more than that and it is silly to simplify it like that.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

This sounds like cognitive dissonance to me. If flying is bad because it removes danger, then so is the ability to no-daze run through and ignore entire packs on the way to your destination. There is little practical difference, and no, seeing your hp go down by 20% on your way does not suddenly make it more dangerous than flying over it.
    I’m not even arguing if flying is good or bad; I actually don’t mind it being in the game at all.

I’m saying that putting both flying and dragon riding into the game at the same time makes one of those options far less appealing to most people. Yes, it’s a choice to dragon ride, but it’s far less likely that I’ll give it the chance it deserves.

I just don’t think it’s a good design choice, you’re free to disagree. It would just be nice if people could respect the opposite POV without thinking they’re selfish assholes that want to ruin the game for others. We don’t, we generally just think it’s a better experience. I think Elden Ring is a prime example of players appreciating this type of design, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    You too Grossly misunderstand the debate and hide behind easy arguments like choice, freedom and self-control. It is about more than that and it is silly to simplify it like that.
    I'm not here to play with thought-terminating clichés, I'm talking about reality. Stop trying to make it sound more profound than it really is; don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining.

If not offered to ability to fly, most players will still pick anti-daze equipment or rely on tank spec's anti-daze mechanic and run right through several packs of mobs, all of which will de-aggro on the way to their destination, practically zero difference to flying there.

And yes, if flying exists and is accessible by players, an anti-flyer has more options than a pro-flyer does when flying isn't accessible by players. You not being able to control yourself and feeling like you're at a disadvantage because you'll arrive at an instance portal or your next WQ 1 minute later than somebody flying is nobody else's problem but your own. You just want to control people and hide behind "for the greater good of the game" to enforce your will on others and feel validated in doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    The part of the game where you run by everything to get to what you want anyway?

Just because you lack the self-control to play the game in a way that's enjoyable for you, do you and your kind want to remove something from everyone else?

Yea that makes sense. Real big brain play here gentlemen.
    It's not about self-control. I'd just like to see WoW being a game where flying doesn't exist. Yes, that includes no one else being able to fly.

And this is a fan forum, I'm not demanding anything. I'm just supporting the devs opinion against flying. If there's less flying, cool. If not, oh well, can't do anything about it.

And please, spare me the "you're selfish" talk. I'm discussing a game and the way I'd prefer it to be, not real life situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    I’m not even arguing if flying is good or bad; I actually don’t mind it being in the game at all.

I’m saying that putting both flying and dragon riding into the game at the same time makes one of those options far less appealing to most people. Yes, it’s a choice to dragon ride, but it’s far less likely that I’ll give it the chance it deserves.
    Simple: you lock flying away behind pathfinder (reach level cap, get new reps to revered, finish the zone stories, explore the zones in full, etc.) as always (except pathfinder isn't delayed until 10.1 or 10.2), give people Dragon Riding to start with (which they are) , make Dragon Riding quicker than max speed flying, even by 10%, which they seem like they might, and people will still try Dragon Riding over regular flying. The difference is that now the people that spend 9 months farming Zereth Mortis for the newest reskin flying mount actually feel like they get to use it as well without being locked to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Pretty much this. The fact that it exists ruins a part of the game for me.
    I'm guessing you're not a fan of any games with cheat codes then. Other people playing differently than you, ruins the game for you? Everyone must be forced to your preference or else you're unhappy?

It reminds me of those people who got mad at Rockstar for including cheat codes in Grand Theft Auto because they were unable to control themselves and enjoy the game without cheating. Like, I'm sorry you lack self-control, but don't ask developers to restrict the rest of us so you don't have to live with the knowledge that other people play the game differently.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Simple: you lock flying away behind pathfinder (reach level cap, get new reps to revered, finish the zone stories, explore the zones in full, etc.) as always (except pathfinder isn't delayed until 10.1 or 10.2), give people Dragon Riding to start with (which they are) , make Dragon Riding quicker than max speed flying, even by 10%, which they seem like they might, and people will still try Dragon Riding over regular flying. The difference is that now the people that spend 9 months farming Zereth Mortis for the newest reskin flying mount actually feel like they get to use it as well without being locked to the ground.
    I am happy to come to a compromise with how we can introduce flying down the line, sure. I just don’t think it should be available immediately. Not while dragon riding is a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    OP's saltyness is kind of bizarre and a bit obsessive.
    nope what is bizzare is that in expansion which main selling point is dragons and flying real flying will be timegating and we will be gliding on our pimped out dragons.

like who thought this as a good marketing idea ?

this hapepns when companies focus on being woke and makingartificial woke positions instead designing game .

I am happy to come to a compromise with how we can introduce flying down the line, sure. I just don’t think it should be available immediately.
    We're in agreement then. I've never thought regular flying should be in from the start, but Blizzard's word on regular flying in the new zones so far is that it just doesn't exist and isn't planned. Period.

I've always liked Pathfinder in that it gets you to at least experience the zones before you get to fly within them. I just don't like how they added pathfinder at minimum a single content patch, usually two (several months to a year+) after expansion release.

And now the implication seems to be that Dragon Riding in the new zones supercedes and replaces oldschool flying entirely for those zones. Which kind of sucks when you don't want to be forced to fly on one of four dragon shapes.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    nope what is bizzare is that in expansion which main selling point is dragons and flying real flying will be timegating and we will be gliding on our pimped out dragons.

like who thought this as a good marketing idea ?

this hapepns when companies focus on being woke and makingartificial woke positions instead designing game .
    A dragon expansion which includes improvements to flying mechanics seems pretty apt...
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    I'm guessing you're not a fan of any games with cheat codes then. Other people playing differently than you, ruins the game for you? Everyone must be forced to your preference or else you're unhappy?

It reminds me of those people who got mad at Rockstar for including cheat codes in Grand Theft Auto because they were unable to control themselves and enjoy the game without cheating. Like, I'm sorry you lack self-control, but don't ask developers to restrict the rest of us so you don't have to live with the knowledge that other people play the game differently.
    I mean, that's a single player game. I used to use cheats when I was little for Vice City and San Andreas. When I played GTAV I knew cheats existed but didn't use them. My preferences for playing games changed.

But seriously though, why do pro-flying people have the need to personally attack people who don't want flying. You're acting like flying not existing in the game is some life threatening situation.

Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    ...Yay, skipping all the danger on the ground by flying over it... So fun...
    Exactly, except without the sarcasm... and danger should be replaced with time wasting... it's not dangerous just annoying to kill swaths of enemies for no gain and no loot... let me do my chores and move on. What's worse is killing those swaths of enemies to get there... then getting a quest to kill the same things and having to wait for respawns. Respect players time or expect them to find more efficient means of playing the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodreh View Post
    Exactly, except without the sarcasm... and danger should be replaced with time wasting... it's not dangerous just annoying to kill swaths of enemies for no gain and no loot... let me do my chores and move on. What's worse is killing those swaths of enemies to get there... then getting a quest to kill the same things and having to wait for respawns. Respect players time or expect them to find more efficient means of playing the game.
    Which most people don't do anyway. They just run through with anti-daze equipment.

We're in agreement then. I've never thought regular flying should be in from the start, but Blizzard's word on regular flying in the new zones so far is that it just doesn't exist and isn't planned. Period.

I've always liked Pathfinder in that it gets you to at least experience the zones before you get to fly within them. I just don't like how they added pathfinder at minimum a single content patch, usually two (several months to a year+) after expansion release.

And now the implication seems to be that Dragon Riding in the new zones supercedes and replaces oldschool flying entirely for those zones. Which kind of sucks when you don't want to be forced to fly on one of four dragon shapes.
    I totally agree that flying should more or less immediately be available the moment you complete most world content, excluding pointless rep grinds. My cynical side believes that the waiting is for nothing more than metrics and it serves very little towards game-play.

This is where I'm okay with choice; I think it's absolutely fine and fun after you've experienced content the way it is intended to be experienced first.

I totally agree that flying should more or less immediately be available the moment you complete most world content, excluding pointless rep grinds. My cynical side believes that the waiting is for nothing more than metrics and it serves very little towards game-play.

This is where I'm okay with choice; I think it's absolutely fine and fun after you've experienced content the way it is intended to be experienced first.
    Same. I get the argument that you want people to experience the zones and I think that's the bare minimum that a player should have to do, rather than being able to take off and ignore it right away at the start of an expansion.

But I don't think there is much of that same value in having people walk that same ground for months on their way to the next world quest objective. I doubt most people take in the scenery at that point. I know you didn't make that argument- just my take on that particular matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    In lieu with dragonriding and the full immersion gravity, physics and momentum of WOW and for not trivializing combat by skipping trash mobs before killing the quest targets, some of the current mount I deem as inappropriate with Blizzard's latest innovative idea of how players should play and enjoy the games. I present you some new names for the current ones, be prepared for its momentous physics!

[Armored Bloodwing] now named [Armored Bloodfeet]
    [Flying Carpet] now named [Mud Rug]
    [Magnificent Flying Carpet] now named [Magnificent Area Rug]
    [Frosty Flying Carpet] now named [Frosty Floor Runner ]
    [Iron Skyreaver] now named [Iron Landreaver]
    [Reins of the Azure Cloud Serpent] now named [Reins of the Onyx Dust Serpent]
    [Reins of the Jade Cloud Serpent] now named [Reins of the Jade Dust Serpent]
    [Reins of the Crimson Cloud Serpent] now named [Reins of the Crimson Dust Serpent]
    [Reins of the Golden Cloud Serpent] now named [Reins of the Golden Dust Serpent]
    [Reins of the Heavenly Onyx Cloud Serpent] now named [Reins of the Earthly Onyx Dust Serpent]
    [Reins of the Heavenly Crimson Cloud Serpent] now named [Reins of the Earthly Crimson Dust Serpent]
    [Reins of the Heavenly Golden Cloud Serpent] now named [Reins of the Earthly Golden Dust Serpent]
    [Reins of the Thundering Jade Cloud Serpent] now named [Reins of the Quaking Jade Dust Serpent]
    [Reins of the Thundering Onyx Cloud Serpent] now named [Reins of the Quaking Onyx Dust Serpent]
    [Reins of the Thundering Ruby Cloud Serpent] now named [Reins of the Quaking Ruby Dust Serpent]
    [Reins of the Thundering August Cloud Serpent] now named [Reins of the Quaking August Dust Serpent]
    [Reins of the Thundering Cobalt Cloud Serpent] now named [Reins of the Quaking Cobalt Dust Serpent]
    [Reins of the Jade Cloud Serpent] now named [Reins of the Jade Dust Serpent]
    [Malevolent Gladiator's Cloud Serpent] now named [Malevolent Gladiator's Dust Serpent]
    [Reins of the Golden Cloud Serpent] now named [Reins of the Golden Dust Serpent]
    [Tyrannical Gladiator's Cloud Serpent] now named [Tyrannical Gladiator's Dust Serpent]
    [Grievous Gladiator's Cloud Serpent] now named [Grievous Gladiator's Dust Serpent]
    [Prideful Gladiator's Cloud Serpent] now named [Prideful Gladiator's Dust Serpent]
    [Reins of the Astral Cloud Serpent] now named [Reins of the Rocky Dust Serpent]
    [Disc of the Red Flying Cloud] now named [Disc of the Red Running Dust]
    [Reins of the Drake of the East Wind] now named [Reins of the Drake of the East Ground]
    [Reins of the Drake of the North Wind] now named [Reins of the Drake of the North Ground]
    [Reins of the Drake of the West Wind] now named [Reins of the Drake of the West Ground]
    [Reins of the Drake of the South Wind] now named [Reins of the Drake of the South Ground]
    [Heart of the [Nightwing] now named [Heart of the [Nightclaw]
    [Sky Golem] now named [Ground Golem]
    [Flying Machine] now named [Carnival Ride Machine] or just [Machine]
    [Turbo-Charged Flying Machine] now named [Turbo-Charged Treadmill]
    [Celestial Steed ]now named [You-Thought-This-Dropped-From-Algalon-Didntya? Steed]
    [Jade Pandaren Kite String] now named [Jade Pandaren Origami String]
    [Pandaren Kite String] now named [Pandaren Origami String]
    [Reins of the Onyx Netherwing Drake] now named [Reins of the Onyx Netherfeet Drake]
    [Reins of the Azure Netherwing Drake] now named [Reins of the Azure Netherfeet Drake]
    [Reins of the Veridian Netherwing Drake] now named [Reins of the Veridian Netherfeet Drake]
    [Reins of the Purple Netherwing Drake] now named [Reins of the Purple Netherfeet Drake]
    [Reins of the Violet Netherwing Drake] now named [Reins of the Violet Netherfeet Drake]
    [Reins of the Cobalt Netherwing Drake] now named [Reins of the Cobalt Netherfeet Drake]
    [Reins of the Ironbound Proto-Drake] now named [Reins of the Groundbound Proto-Drake]
    [X-51 Nether-Rocket] now named [X-51 Nether-Bicycle]
    [X-51 Nether-Rocket X-TREME] now named [X-51 Nether-Bicyle X-TREME]
    [Heartbreaker] no changes.
    [Depleted-Kyparium Bicycle] now named [Depleted-Kyparium Bicyle]
    [X-53 Touring Rocket] now named [X-53 Immersion Bicycle]
    [Reins of the Armored Skyscreamer] now named [Reins of the Armored Landscreamer]
    [Swift Windsteed] now named [Swift Groundsteed]
    [Tawny Wind Rider] now named [Tawny Ground Rider]
    [Blue Wind Rider] now named [Blue Ground Rider]
    [Green Wind Rider] now named [Green Ground Rider]
    [Swift Yellow Wind Rider] now named [Swift Yellow Ground Rider]
    [Swift Red Wind Rider] now named [Swift Red Ground Rider]
    [Swift Purple Wind Rider] now named [Swift Purple Ground Rider]
    [Swift Green Wind Rider] now named [Swift Green Ground Rider]
    [Armored Blue Wind Rider] now named [Armored Blue Ground Rider]
    [Spectral Wind Rider]now named [Spectral Ground Rider]

And Druid Flight Form should be renamed as LoL no more farming herb for you Form.
    Great meme, but the mounts can still fly outside of Dragon Isles, so it’s a moot point.
    I give this an A for effort because you really tried something, an F for making any sense, and a B for execution.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not here to play with thought-terminating clichés, I'm talking about reality. Stop trying to make it sound more profound than it really is; don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining.

If not offered to ability to fly, most players will still pick anti-daze equipment or rely on tank spec's anti-daze mechanic and run right through several packs of mobs, all of which will de-aggro on the way to their destination, practically zero difference to flying there.

And yes, if flying exists and is accessible by players, an anti-flyer has more options than a pro-flyer does when flying isn't accessible by players. You not being able to control yourself and feeling like you're at a disadvantage because you'll arrive at an instance portal or your next WQ 1 minute later than somebody flying is nobody else's problem but your own. You just want to control people and hide behind "for the greater good of the game" to enforce your will on others and feel validated in doing so.
    That is what I am talking about when I say that you misunderstand the argument. It is not thought terminating cliches or whatever. You are arguing things that are not pertinent to the discussion.

People that are anti-flying want to see a entire WoW that is designed with such philosophy in mind. Because whether you like it or not, flying hinders game design space more than it opens up. There is only so many times you can put something in a far off cliff and make that interesting. Another glaring problem is that flying is removing gameplay from the game, clicking a button, pressing space and pointing to a general direction while you go grab a drink is not compelling gameplay.

You act like having more choice makes the game better, but that is not true. WoW would not be better if you suddenly had the choice to skip dungeons and head straight to the loot. GW2 would be a objectively worst game if they added flying like in WoW as an option. You want to boil this down to choice, but choice does not make a game better. What makes a game better is a tighter experience, sometimes choice can be part of that. But not always.

And you are choosing to ignore this to make your flawed argument and missing the bigger point from that crowd: Flying limits game design and trivializes travel.

What you are basically doing is building a argument bunker with points that are not adressing the crux of the discussion. And then you refuse to step out of it when people call you out on it. Like me and other posters in this thread, saying that they are wrong and being incredibly agressive while doing that. You are literally refsuing to engage in any type of discussion that is not on your exact terms and forcing people to do that. Yes, the discussion is bigger than choice. It always was and everybody knows it. Your refusal to acknowledge that is silly.

I do not mind that much flying in the game, that being said, if done well, I do believe Dragonriding can be superior to it in every possible way.

This is, at the end of the day, a game. Adding gameplay to flying IMHO is a good idea and a better compromise than pathfinder. It makes exploration a more active activity and still lets you fly.

Whats not to love?

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We're not even at "but it's only alpha" stage yet. I want to at least try it out before talking smack about it

10+ Year Old Account

I agree with you here. But I suppose there is only so much they can do it at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    I agree with you here. But I suppose there is only so much they can do it at once.
    I think if they make Dragon Riding altogether quicker (and more engaging) that'd still do the job of making that look appealing alongside classic flying.

Personally.