Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    19,730

    Lightbulb What's holding us back from World of Diablo?

    EDIT: Since this thread has recently gotten a fair bit of attention, I want everyone to be aware - I am NOT thinking of Diablo Immortal/anything mobile for that matter. This is supposed to be a computer (maybe console)-based MMORPG like WoW/TESO/SW: TOR/TES Online but simply in the Diablo universe. Darker tones, etc. Or a single-player horror game, but from first/third-person perspective. Please read the post instead of just blindly replying.

    Original post:

    I know many people talk about World of Starcraft, and I love that idea - but I've been feeling for some time the aesthetic for Diablo would be wonderful for a creepy first or third person game, whether it's single-player i.e. Amnesia The Dark Descent: Skyrim Edition or multiplayer like WoW, but more creepy shit.

    I don't play D3 anymore because it's a joke but it was my first ARPG and I always maintain Act 1 was the best act in it. Dark, gritty atmosphere and up close and personal, could be scary as shit. I read the Diablo books years back and one of them painted such a creepy picture in some dungeon or crypt and I thought, man, if only.

    What's stopping this from being made? It would sell.
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2022-06-09 at 02:19 AM.
    "For Teldrassil."
    Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

  2. #2
    Pit Lord RH92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Banská Bystrica, Slovakia
    Posts
    2,374
    While I do agree the world of Sanctuary would be great for a third person game, I don't think it would feel like a Diablo if you know what I mean.

    Part of what makes Diablo feel like a Diablo game is fighting the hordes of enemies and the fast paced combat, I can't see that working out in MMO for example. The enemies would quickly feel obsolete which will make the game seem unchallinging and in return boring. I also don't see how would you justify all the gore in a game that is aimed for more casual audience.

    And to be honest, I don't think everything should be made into MMO just because you can. Warcraft worked perfectly because it already had a cartoony style, rich fantasy world and more relaxed pace to begin with.

  3. #3
    So, you want to have WoW with a diablo skin? Then many elements of diablo already put into WoW. And for me i dont really want that starcraft 3 becomes World of Starcraft. As much i love zerg i dont wanna play a Hydralisk all day or something.

    And i guess it will never happen, cause MMOs arent the big thing anymore and it would be stupid to throw away the RTS/Hack n Slash audience and give MMO player something new.

    And i really dont have the time to play two MMOs at the same time.

    So please, never do a Diablo or Starcraft MMO.

  4. #4
    What would be different from WoW despite the aesthetics? I'd need something bigger to justify being made.

  5. #5
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    19,730
    Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    While I do agree the world of Sanctuary would be great for a third person game, I don't think it would feel like a Diablo if you know what I mean.

    Part of what makes Diablo feel like a Diablo game is fighting the hordes of enemies and the fast paced combat, I can't see that working out in MMO for example. The enemies would quickly feel obsolete which will make the game seem unchallinging and in return boring. I also don't see how would you justify all the gore in a game that is aimed for more casual audience.

    And to be honest, I don't think everything should be made into MMO just because you can. Warcraft worked perfectly because it already had a cartoony style, rich fantasy world and more relaxed pace to begin with.
    Honestly, I don't really want it to be an MMO. Maybe I shouldn't have titled the thread this way. A first/third person horror type Diablo feels like it could be very fun and interesting. You could still deal with hordes of demons but just more methodically. Or perhaps have more stealth and controlled slaying of demons. Just because it doesn't play like a Diablo ARPG doesn't mean it can't be a Diablo game, just a different style game. For instance, they took Warcraft from RTS to MMORPG. You could have the Diablo games that are ARPGs but then diversify and also have a unique take where you go in, almost covert-operation style to take out enemies in a different game. There's a lot of people who don't play ARPGs for any mixture of reasons - carpal tunnel, doesn't like ARPG, etc... I'd love to return to the stories and places of Diablo, but less so in an ARPG. Just a thought. Appreciate the responses!
    "For Teldrassil."
    Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

  6. #6
    Pit Lord RH92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Banská Bystrica, Slovakia
    Posts
    2,374
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    *Snip*
    Nah, sorry. I don't think sneaking up behind demons feel like a Diablo thing to do unless you specifically play a Rogue or something along the lines.

    At best I could imagine it being like a Witcher. Where you are a class of your choice killing demons who are trying to corrupt a society, but that's extremely limiting in my opinion. It forces the game into a very narrow time period because Diablo stories tend to evolve into larce scale conflicts and I don't think demons are able to bear aspects of humanity the same way as monsters do in Witcher universe.

    If Blizzard wants do a RPG, then they should focus on a new franchise in my opinion.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Honestly, I don't really want it to be an MMO. Maybe I shouldn't have titled the thread this way. A first/third person horror type Diablo feels like it could be very fun and interesting. You could still deal with hordes of demons but just more methodically. Or perhaps have more stealth and controlled slaying of demons. Just because it doesn't play like a Diablo ARPG doesn't mean it can't be a Diablo game, just a different style game. For instance, they took Warcraft from RTS to MMORPG. You could have the Diablo games that are ARPGs but then diversify and also have a unique take where you go in, almost covert-operation style to take out enemies in a different game. There's a lot of people who don't play ARPGs for any mixture of reasons - carpal tunnel, doesn't like ARPG, etc... I'd love to return to the stories and places of Diablo, but less so in an ARPG. Just a thought. Appreciate the responses!
    Gamerkind is not able to deal with that kind of stuff. Genre change is always met with backlash, regardless of the final product's quality. If the quality is high enough the game might be fondly remembered... ten years after release.

    It's not a sensible business decision. Rather ironically, gamers are too conservatists for that.

  8. #8
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    19,730
    Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    Nah, sorry. I don't think sneaking up behind demons feel like a Diablo thing to do unless you specifically play a Rogue or something along the lines.

    At best I could imagine it being like a Witcher. Where you are a class of your choice killing demons who are trying to corrupt a society, but that's extremely limiting in my opinion. It forces the game into a very narrow time period because Diablo stories tend to evolve into larce scale conflicts and I don't think demons are able to bear aspects of humanity the same way as monsters do in Witcher universe.

    If Blizzard wants do a RPG, then they should focus on a new franchise in my opinion.
    Fair point. The large conflict point is one that I've thought would detract. That is if they followed the normal Diablo way of doing things and didn't bother trying to tell some other story in the same universe. /shrug, oh well.
    "For Teldrassil."
    Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudenoso View Post
    Gamerkind is not able to deal with that kind of stuff. Genre change is always met with backlash, regardless of the final product's quality. If the quality is high enough the game might be fondly remembered... ten years after release.

    It's not a sensible business decision. Rather ironically, gamers are too conservatists for that.
    Look at Immortal. It wasn't even a genre change, just a platform change, and it was viciously attacked for no other reason than it wasn't what was expected.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Look at Immortal. It wasn't even a genre change, just a platform change, and it was viciously attacked for no other reason than it wasn't what was expected.
    To be fair they brought that on themselves. They hyped up a big Diablo announcement, knowing full well people were at least expecting a D4 trailer or announcement... and they got.. a reskinned CoL game (yeah yeah, we know they SAID its not a reskin, but you can see the gameplay and visuals for yourself and they are pretty damn identical) and then patronized the audience when they were, well, less then thrilled that the mobile game was the only Diablo announcement.

  11. #11
    World of warcraft is.

    + let's face it, diablo lore is okay for an hack and slash but that's pretty dull and boring apart from that.

  12. #12
    Soulslike would probably be the path to go, but reportedly it was already tried and died in development

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    To be fair they brought that on themselves. They hyped up a big Diablo announcement, knowing full well people were at least expecting a D4 trailer or announcement... and they got.. a reskinned CoL game (yeah yeah, we know they SAID its not a reskin, but you can see the gameplay and visuals for yourself and they are pretty damn identical) and then patronized the audience when they were, well, less then thrilled that the mobile game was the only Diablo announcement.
    Do I really need to bring up the old "ghostcrawler promised me a pony" thing to remind players that wanting something is not the same as having been promised something?
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

  14. #14
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    32,004
    Blizzard apparently does not wish to do another MMO and that's fine by me. Apart from the world I'm not certain that MMO mechanics—like large groups of players—would really work very well. The fact is that Diablo III is MMO 'enough' to qualify. It's massive, it's online, it's multiplayer.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    To be fair they brought that on themselves. They hyped up a big Diablo announcement, knowing full well people were at least expecting a D4 trailer or announcement...
    Several days prior to the announcement Blizzard went out of their way to signal that this would not be an announcement about D4. Also, while we're being fair, having a Diablo title available on mobile is a pretty big fucking deal to the rest of the gaming world that doesn't play games on PC. It wasn't the announcement you were expecting, true. That's your problem, not theirs.
    "Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game" — Soren Johnson (Civilization III/IV designer)

  15. #15
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ...location, location!
    Posts
    13,707
    The only thing holding them back, the ONLY thing, is money. It would cost a ridiculous amount of money to develop another MMO.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    The only thing holding them back, the ONLY thing, is money. It would cost a ridiculous amount of money to develop another MMO.
    They have more than enough money to make any game they wanted, they just choose not to, a diablo MMO would work pretty well depending on how its implemented and would easily make them far more money than it would cost to develop a game, if they were to make another MMO then WoW would probably get mostly sidelined.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

  17. #17
    mmo-rpg is quite the broad term, lost ark and diablo 2.5 are mmo-rpg.

    And from what I've seen so far, diablo IV is designed as an mmo rpg.

  18. #18
    Immortal Zelk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Posts
    7,013
    I don't want world of diablo I just want a good diablo 4. WoW killed off any chance of Warcraft IV and I'd hate for that to happen to diablo.

  19. #19
    Immortal jackofwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    7,671
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    The only thing holding them back, the ONLY thing, is money. It would cost a ridiculous amount of money to develop another MMO.
    And, of course, their desire to not make a Diablo MMO.

    If they want to keep Diablo as an ARPG series then that's just how it is.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

  20. #20
    Playing a limited number of heroes in a campaign and having 50 or so monsters ambush you in a dark and moody zone seems right.
    Playing 50 heroes and fighting over respawns doesn't.

    How would a Diablo MMO make you feel alone and like you're being stalked by hordes of evil creatures?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •