Page 1 of 27
... LastLast

Why does wow's community come off as so entitled?

Now everything I am about to bring up can be seen in any mmo. This isn't about wow having unique problems just the frequency I see it compared to other games.

With that out of the way... why is it that in wow players just come off as brats as the norm?

You see people complaining constantly that they are not invited to high level content without having done any high level content. You see people turning their noses at starting gear claiming that it isn't near best in slot and only more powerful then the first few tiers of difficult content...

I just don't get why... in most communities these players are laughed out but here I wouldn't say they are catered to but they come off as the norm.
    Last edited by Celement; 2022-04-24 at 04:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I look at the opposite and don't understand how people can accept the elitistic game that this has become. And the insane requirements that people ask for.

- People asking for Ahead of the Curve for Normal raids
    - People asking for Keystone Mastery (+15s) to join +10s
    - People asking for full Heroic gear to do Normal raids

etc etc, it's become a joke.

Both sides are stupid. People forgot to just play for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    I look at the opposite and don't understand how people can accept the elitistic game that this has become. And the insane requirements that people ask for.

This problem doesnt exist, you are simply not good enough to play the way you want to, stick to a guild and all your problems vanish, but no, as the OP said, entitlement.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post

I just don't get why... in most communities these players are laughed but here I wouldn't say they are catered to but they come off as the norm.
    They arent normal, thats why they are ignored by the rest of the community, or exist in forums like these, and making fun off, but mmo-champion has become an echo chamber of such negativity that anything positive is the outlier.

Blizzard does the mistake of listening to a different demographic now and then, the problem is the amount of damage that causes.

I explained this before, WoW probably had over 200 million Unique accounts, out of that, the 10% are pretty much coming and going, eventually voice an opinion and so on, so around 20mil players.

In those 20 million players, there are like 500 different groups of players requesting for things, as example the loudest for SL was the "RPG CHOICES" idiots, that ruined SL.

Blizzard decided to listen to the % of players about RPG choices from inside those 20 million players, and the rest people simply got annoyed, cause no one asked for RPG choices, if covenants was made differently from the start, SL would be better by default.

If you can start a group and get people to apply who are above the qualifications, why wouldn't you take them over someone who doesn't have them?

If you run a business and try to hire new folks and a bunch of people with elite experience apply for the same salary, would you really hire the noobs?

I felt the same way 20 years ago, watching kids with college degrees take $10/hour call center jobs. But they seriously did that.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice hyperbole.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashana Darkmoon View Post
    If you can start a group and get people to apply who are above the qualifications, why wouldn't you take them over someone who doesn't have them?

If you run a business and try to hire new folks and a bunch of people with elite experience apply for the same salary, would you really hire the noobs?
    You don't see a problem with what I posted, which is true?

No matter how you look at it, you should not be required to have cleared difficultity 2 (hc) to do difficulty 1 (normal), there is no logic or reason in that.

No matter how you look at it, you should not be required to have cleared difficultity 2 (hc) to do difficulty 1 (normal), there is no logic or reason in that.
    Everyone can decide themselfs to play with people who they want to play with.
    It's not yours to decide who others are allowed to play with.
    And if people would require a CE for normal - if the group fills up, who cares? It's their to decide, not yours.
    Don't be selfish, arrogant and entitled.

I hate these groups so much, that I wish there would be some ingame penalty.

It actually affects me. Yes - I might be addicted to the game and a big supporter - but atleast make sense when you are suggesting something.

WoD is the direct result of them pleasing these groups. Creating systems is the direct results of the constant outcry of "nothing new". All of it damaged the game and the community itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyleech View Post
    Everyone can decide themselfs to play with people who they want to play with.
    It's not yours to decide who others are allowed to play with.
    And if people would require a CE for normal - if the group fills up, who cares? It's their to decide, not yours.
    Don't be selfish, arrogant and entitled.
    The problem is that when some people start asking for X to do Y, it becomes the standard, instead of asking for Z. We saw it so clearly in WoW Classic.

By the end of Classic, litterally 99% of all groups for Onyxia had GBID rules for the Head and the 18-slot bag, making it near impossible to find normal non GBID runs. The standard was GBID and that sucked. There was no possible way to do Onyxia without GBID without leading yourself and I HATE leading, I am not a good leader, it sucks that leading is a requirement to even enjoy the game.

The customer is always right.

It's not just a cliched, smartass saying. In most cases, if the customer's demands are reasonable, it's totally applicable. Without their paying customers, Blizzard goes belly up. Now if you mean why the MMO Champion community is so entitled, then you have a point. Blizzard can survive without that small vocal minorities' unreasonable requests. Their general wow gaming player base and to a lesser extent wow community is what keeps them profitable and puts food on their tables. But they really shouldn't make it a habit of ignoring their player base because they think everyone's requests are entitled and do what they want. Sometimes the player knows more what the player wants than the devs do. Shocking concept, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    The customer is always right.

It's not just a cliched, smartass saying. In most cases, if the customer's demands are reasonable, it's totally applicable. Without their paying customers, Blizzard goes belly up. Now if you mean why the MMO Champion community is so entitled, then you have a point. Blizzard can survive without that small vocal minorities' unreasonable requests. Their general wow gaming player base and to a lesser expense wow community is what keeps them profitable and puts food on their tables. But they really shouldn't make it a habit of ignoring their player base because they think everyone's requests are entitled and do what they want. Sometimes the player knows more what the player wants than the devs do. Shocking concept, I know.
    The point of view is wrong - these are not the typical "we are customers" demand. The discussion is the personality of community.

Not saying it isn't a problem per se, but there's no magic solution. The developers can't wave a wand.

Unless people start being unable to fill groups with high standards, it's not going to change.

Not saying it isn't a problem per se, but there's no magic solution. The developers can't wave a wand.

Unless people start being unable to fill groups with high standards, it's not going to change.
    It's simple - but requires balls:

Ion would stand up and say - this is the group are pleasing - the rest "don't expect much". Instead of the we learned talk. Problem solved.

They would rage on the forums and die out.

Quote Originally Posted by HansOlo View Post
    It's simple - but requires balls:

Ion would stand up and say - this is the group are pleasing - the rest "don't expect much". Instead of we learned talk. Problem solved.

They would rage on the forums and die out.
    I have no idea what this means or how it is even applicable to a supply/demand problem

The problem is that when some people start asking for X to do Y, it becomes the standard, instead of asking for Z. We saw it so clearly in WoW Classic.

By the end of Classic, litterally 99% of all groups for Onyxia had GBID rules for the Head and the 18-slot bag, making it near impossible to find normal non GBID runs. The standard was GBID and that sucked. There was no possible way to do Onyxia without GBID without leading yourself and I HATE leading, I am not a good leader, it sucks that leading is a requirement to even enjoy the game.
    And even if it is the case - if people want this, it's their thing. Not yours to decide.
    You want something different? Open a group or join a likeminded community - which doesn't mean you have fixed times you have to play.

Yeah, cool. Those people wanted exactly those runs. If people wouldn't like them, they wouldn't be taking over the standard.
    Again, find likeminded people, have one of those be the head of your community, whatever. I do not really care.
    Let others play the way they want.

I have no idea what this means or how it is even applicable to a supply/demand problem
    Devs are always "open" for suggestions. This is just the marketing BS.

They should say "You will NEVER EVER get housing in WoW - we just can't pull it off in a nice way". The lack of this communication type, is the root cause of players "fixing" stuff all the time or waiting for something. Because they never decline the idea - the players expection is growing(it might even be good for the buisness - but it's not a fun community for certain).
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2022-04-24 at 04:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyleech View Post
    And even if it is the case - if people want this, it's their thing. Not yours to decide.
    You want something different? Open a group or join a likeminded community - which doesn't mean you have fixed times you have to play.

Yeah, cool. Those people wanted exactly those runs. If people wouldn't like them, they wouldn't be taking over the standard.
    Again, find likeminded people, have one of those be the head of your community, whatever. I do not really care.
    Let others play the way they want.
    No, people did NOT want those runs, people just accepted them cause they didn't wanna lead themselves. People HATED it, but not enough to lead, which is understandable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugani View Post
    Both sides are stupid. People forgot to just play for fun.
    ^This right is correct, I couldn't give a damn about being super geared or complain about not being invited to some bullshit ass raid group because my gear is busted...I play wow to have fun and if it ain't fun then I won't play. I stopped raiding years ago when I noticed how mfs was losing their minds and nitpicking other people's gear or ostracizing other players for not have a certain piece(s).