Thread: Dracthyr size

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Dracthyr size

So I noticed this in the Dracthyr selection screen;

Now, unless I'm mistaken, that is a VERY tall model. Here's some others for comparison;

Now this is all preliminary, and things could change in alpha/beta, but if I'm looking at this correctly, the Dracthyr form is tall as hell, with its head easily going past the background chandelier, whereas the other Alliance races, even the Draenei, aren't even close. They may be even a bit taller than a male Tauren.

What would the implications of this be if this is accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Nothing really. The game's interiors like houses and inns were designed to have extra high ceilings so that tall characters can enter (even taller than Tauren). And if the draconians forms are too tall for certain location, that's okay. Just toggle to the human form.

Uhh, little to none if any? Their mounts (if they ride them in dragon form) will be a bit bigger which will be a nuisance, otherwise it makes no difference how tall they are. It probably won't be as perceivable in-game unless you play with the camera zoomed in far enough to actually compare.

The implication will be that they are tall

10+ Year Old Account
    When I say implications, I mean in terms of altering their body size from slender to bulky. Obviously if their ridiculously tall, that may prohibit them from getting bulkier bodies, because they would be simply huge with their wings.

Speaking of their wings;

I'm really wondering how huge that wing span is going to be ingame.

Back to implications; Would their draconic forms being extremely tall and big alter people's perceptions of them looking frail and weak?

The Dracthyr picture is visibly not the same camera distance or framing, you can see the background banners are a totally different size.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    The Dracthyr picture is visibly not the same camera distance or framing, you can see the background banners are a totally different size.
    The banners are the same size in relation to the character. The Dracthyr picture is just cropped and zoomed in. If you look at a Worgen select screen, the human form is pretty much exactly where the visage form is at in terms of height;

I'm going to assume that Visage forms are slightly taller than humans.

There would be no issue with this considering they have a human form which would make them smaller and able to fit into anywhere they would go.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would take size based on the character create screen with a grain of salt since different races are scaled differently for optimal viewing. Check blood elves and zandalaris on the current creation screen for example; they appear almost the same height but the disparity in-game is pretty significant.

I think the new race is going to be a bigger race but I don't think we can accurately judge the actual size until we see them in the world and next to existing races.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

When I say implications, I mean in terms of altering their body size from slender to bulky. Obviously if their ridiculously tall, that may prohibit them from getting bulkier bodies, because they would be simply huge with their wings.

Speaking of their wings;
    I'm really wondering how huge that wing span is going to be ingame.

Back to implications; Would their draconic forms being extremely tall and big alter people's perceptions of them looking frail and weak?
    I don't think the height difference will be that big, I suspect they'll stand maybe 6 inches to a foot above a Night Elf/Tauren, or say the difference between Humans/Night Elves or Orcs/Tauren. Though it would be cool to get a height slider for people who want shorter, stockier Dracthyr.

As for the wings, they're only unfolded in flight so they won't be unfolding and blocking vision for other people mid combat, and I don't think they'll be much wider than a Tauren when folded in anyway considering their slenderness. It remains to be seen if wing size scales up with a thicker torso or not, I doubt it would tbh.

Also who really cares about people's perceptions, for every 1 person that won't play one because it "looks weak" there's 50 more than either like it or don't care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I would take size based on the character create screen with a grain of salt since different races are scaled differently for optimal viewing. Check blood elves and zandalaris on the current creation screen for example; they appear almost the same height but the disparity in-game is pretty significant.

I think the new race is going to be a bigger race but I don't think we can accurately judge the actual size until we see them in the world and next to existing races.
    Yeah like I said, its all preliminary, and nothing's concrete. This is more me asking if they ARE that tall, what would the implications be for that race? Again, if they are this tall, I don't see Blizzard adding a lot of bulk to them. And honestly, they probably don't need it at that size.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rusken View Post
    I don't think the height difference will be that big, I suspect they'll stand maybe 6 inches to a foot above a Night Elf/Tauren, or say the difference between Humans/Night Elves or Orcs/Tauren. Though it would be cool to get a height slider for people who want shorter, stockier Dracthyr.

As for the wings, they're only unfolded in flight so they won't be unfolding and blocking vision for other people mid combat, and I don't think they'll be much wider than a Tauren when folded in anyway considering their slenderness. It remains to be seen if wing size scales up with a thicker torso or not, I doubt it would tbh.

Also who really cares about people's perceptions, for every 1 person that won't play one because it "looks weak" there's 50 more than either like it or don't care.
    TBF, a Dracthyr at human size is entirely different than a Dracthyr at Tauren or above size. That has an effect on the playerbase as a whole, not just people trolling because they hate the concept, or because they preferred something else. The popularity of the race for example could be one possible effect.

I did the science.

They are certainly the tallest of all the races. These are aligned 1:1, and I have to assume they all share the same points between horde and alliance so aligning all races is easy. Nothing feels off, feet location, despite not having them in the Drakthyr image still feels correct.

Here's the Worgen gif, because we can compare the blood elf to human in the background as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    You're 100% wrong.
    Last edited by Sugani; 2022-04-25 at 03:43 AM.

I really hope they are not exaggeratedly tall :/

15+ Year Old Account
    Now this is all preliminary, and things could change in alpha/beta, but if I'm looking at this correctly, the Dracthyr form is tall as hell, with its head easily going past the background chandelier, whereas the other Alliance races, even the Draenei, aren't even close. They may be even a bit taller than a male Tauren.
    We still got guess the size because of the camera angle. It is a lot closer on the Dracthyr then it is for the normal character creation. I still say they will be just as tall as Tauren but look taller since Taurens have the hump and lower face while the Dracthyr do not.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bruxx View Post
    I really hope they are not exaggeratedly tall :/
    Which height would you prefer them to be? In addition, if they ARE taller than Tauren, would that be too tall for you?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugani View Post
    You're 100% wrong.
    Can you explain why the banners are bigger with the Dracthyr then with the Human in the OP? Even opening up my own character creation and the banners are not as big as in the Dracthyr image.

https://cdn.blizzardwatch.com/wp-con...hair_color.jpg

We have this shot with Visage selected and Dracthyr in the background. That shows them slightly taller then the human worgen form. Character creation screen is clearly not an accurate representation for in-game height.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2022-04-25 at 03:58 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    We still got guess the size because of the camera angle. It is a lot closer on the Dracthyr then it is for the normal character creation. I still say they will be just as tall as Tauren but look taller since Taurens have the hump and lower face while the Dracthyr do not.
    Don’t forget their wings and tails. That’s a lot of real estate their models are taking up.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you explain why the banners are bigger with the Dracthyr then with the Human in the OP? Even opening up my own character creation and the banners are not as big as in the Dracthyr image.
    It’s just zoomed in. They’re the same size in relation to the model.

Which height would you prefer them to be? In addition, if they ARE taller than Tauren, would that be too tall for you?
    I think anything between blood elf and tauren size would be fine, but I already feel like tauren take a bit too much of my screen when playing and most importantly, it makes movement *feel* slower, which feels like is not the intention, judging by the body's design.

Then again, I may be positively surprised

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for that screenshot. It's easy to compare using the arch behind the Dracthyr as reference in comparison to where the human stands in the worgen screen. It looks to me like they are roughly half a head taller than humans?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bruxx View Post
    I think anything between blood elf and tauren size would be fine, but I already feel like tauren take a bit too much of my screen when playing and most importantly, it makes movement *feel* slower, which feels like is not the intention, judging by the body's design.

Then again, I may be positively surprised
    Yeah, this is what I mean by implication. This thing at Tauren size with its long tails and wings is kind of ridiculous. I’m kind of surprised they went that route instead of making it (what I assumed was going to be) human/elf-sized.

They aren't. It's just your eyes deceiving you, I pixel matched them in both the original source images posted here, as well as my own personal screen grabs. They align perfectly.

https://imgur.com/glXMPBK