Poll: Do you like Turalyon as a character? Is he particularly good or interesting?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    He's extremely hateable and would make a great villain
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    She lost against Arthas for purpose. She wanted to feed Quel'thalas to hungering darkness.

no, he was boring ever since he came around in WCII. on top of being the Ur-father for every insufferable human paladin player to ever live.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Alleria? Flee from Yrel?

But why would she do that, when can easily annihilate the Lightbound army all by herself?

Remember the Dark Star, the Void Naaru so powerful that it would have annihilated the Draenei armies in Shadowmoon and secured global victory for the Iron Horde? See, Alleria Windrunner basically absorbed the power of a similar Void Naaru, L'ura, who was in Mac'aree.

So now, by connecting the dots, we can safely conclude that Alleria can destroy Yrel and the Lightbound all by herself, thanks to the Void Naaru power she possesses. After all, Yrel's Lightbound are just the AU Draenei who would have been annihilated by a Void Naaru single-handedly...

Just like this:

So actually I am very confused by your post, why would Alleria flee and hide from the Lightbound? If they come demanding control of Stormwind, they will only end up annihilated like in the future seen by Velen. Alleria absorbed the power of a Dark Star-like Naaru and we know that it would have been over for Draenei civilization if the Dark Star was used against them; which is why Velen's sacrifice was such an important and heroic moment of WoD.
    completely offtopic:

when i watched that video and i compared in mind even that story, quest and immersion in the video with any of the ones of Shadowlands, i will never get how some ppl can rate WoD still below SL.

i mean, yes, WoD had nothing besides Raids, Dungeons and Quests. But honestly, are ppl that favored by cheap shit Treadmill crap like Soulbinds or Korthia Gems? i mean just compare that UNBELIEVABLE shit stories of SL with just even above Quest Video. it’s miles away of each other, quality wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmagoslav View Post
    That would be a pretty convoluted character arc...

TLDR version;
    - founds an order of knights, basically by himself
    - goes on the offensive trough the dark portal to battle orcs and pretty much vanishes there
    - is exiled for helping out an orc
    - takes on a paladin student (in exile?), who happens to be the prince
    - the student kills him and most of the kingdom
    - somehow returns to life years later to lead the offensive against his former student
    - gets killed once again on the broken shore
    - somehow gets revived to lead the offensive on argus
    - somehow he's also been dead the whole time, with a broken soul in SL

That reads like Goku from DBZ (which is a lot worse than even Danuser's story).
    A holy trinity!

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    When the jailer made his dying statement, he was talking about Turalyon. We should go kill him now before he becomes the big threat later.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Stood in the Fire Chromeshellking's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    To be fair, he had been following it for a thousand years relative time, had made him "eternal" (wether immortal or just long lived, TBD) and had helped him and the Army of the Light fight the Burning Legion. I could see why he'd give it the benefit of the doubt over a fel-corrupted elf that was now clearly demonic.
    Fair. I just also shared Illidan's sentiment at the "I've traded my Freedom for Power before." Like cant a man just make his own damned choices and every cosmic power and their dog can **ck right off.
    Fate is one you forge with your own two hands.

I remember him being okay in the Beyond the Dark Portal novelization. But the actual ingame character we got in Legion is meh. Probably among my least favorite human characters. But that ties into my overall dislike of the evil Light plot that has been building up since Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kayb View Post
    Like most Alliance characters I find him overall uninteresting and overrated.
    Oh? I find that Alliance characters are overall more likeable than Horde ones. Most of them are rooted in the tragedy that is the ruination of the Eastern Kingdoms by the Horde and the Scourge, and have actual morals. The Horde has some good characters but nowhere near as many likeable characters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyux View Post
    He's a symbol of the "Old Guard" of a the Alliance, and a relic of he previous wars.
    I find Genn, Khadgar, and Muradin to be more likeable representatives of the Alliance from the Second War. Sadly Khadgar is a neutral NPC for some bizzare, out of character reason, and Genn and Muradin were sidelined.

I guess there is also Falstad but I forgot he was alive too. Dude has done diddly squat in WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Human paladin with elf wife

so original
    wow
    The trope seems cheesy and archaic now, but it felt appropriate for the early Warcraft novels, which felt very much like Dragonlance (still a good read btw).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    Everyone seems to forget exactly how cruel the Light is
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    Imagine how cool a Light expansion could have been if we came back to a future Azeroth (short time-skip), and we have Turalyon and the Lightforged enforcing "the path of righteousness" taught to them by Xe'ra, which had previously led to them forcibly imprisoning Alleria for simply wanting to learn about the Void.
    No. That would not be cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    Turalyon as a character by himself is much more interesting than every bit of lore and characters from Dragonflight combined.
    This might be recency bias, but I find the stone guy from the dragonflight cinematic to be more likeable than Turalyon, be it book version or Legion version. But it has been many years since I read the BtDP novel so I might be forgetting his characterization in that.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I remain very neutral. I like him, but we don´t know that much about what might come out of his character. His past is really cool.

Generic paladin? I mean, sure, but that´s the point, he´s one of the first ones. He is meant to be an absolute paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    This might be recency bias, but I find the stone guy from the dragonflight cinematic to be more likeable than Turalyon, be it book version or Legion version. But it has been many years since I read the BtDP novel so I might be forgetting his characterization in that.
    BtDP inverted his characterization from the end of Tides of Darkness. In ToD, he's your standard reluctant hero who doesn't think he measures up to Uther until the very end fight, where his revelation that empowered him with the Light enough to lead the pushback against Orgrim amounted to realizing that orcs aren't from Azeroth and so killing all of those subhuman creatures is a moral imperative. BtDP then makes Alleria the one who has to struggle with her animus against orcs while Turalyon is the voice of reason, which pigeonholes him into being the generic friendly face to his marginally more interesting wife, which is at least consistent between this version and Legion.

While we're at it, a dude who's greatest contact with the Light came from the total certainty of deciding his enemy needed to be wiped out sitting meekly by while a demon offed what's essentially the angel guiding him for a thousand years in front of him is the cherry on top of the illogic that is everything around the Lightforged and Illidan.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Let's hope they dial back all the co(s)mic nonsense and return the character to his paladin origins. A strong religious leader representing the Alliance of old could be a strong foundation for future narratives. He should also definitely kick the heathens and beasts out of the Silver Hand.
    It is sad that we haven't had a questline about the restoration of the Church of the Light or the paladin order in the Alliance. Northshire Abbey was burned and the top leadership of the Church were killed. So much clerical knowledge lost, not to mention the Silver Hand destroyed. There should have been quests about trying to rebuild the churches and the paladin orders, trying to find old teachings, the struggles of inexperienced priests and apprentices having to step up and become bishops and paladins before they were ready, and the emergence of a second generation of Silver Hand paladins in service to the Alliance.

And yeah, shoving Blood Knights and Sunwalkers into a church was really stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromeshellking View Post
    Fair. I just also shared Illidan's sentiment at the "I've traded my Freedom for Power before." Like cant a man just make his own damned choices and every cosmic power and their dog can **ck right off.
    Cosmic powers by definition seek to control mortals.

So far, the only mortals who have been able to master a Cosmic power and retain their freedom of choice are Alleria Windrunner and her Ren'dorei, who are stated to be the first mortals who successfully defied the Shadows' whispers.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Cosmic powers by definition seek to control mortals.

So far, the only mortals who have been able to master a Cosmic power and retain their freedom of choice are Alleria Windrunner and her Ren'dorei, who are stated to be the first mortals who successfully defied the Shadows' whispers.
    So far. They've had nothing of substance since then regarding their characterisation. We know from the long term lore of Shadow/Discipline priests that channeling those powers is a slippery slope to which everyone eventually succumbs. There is no reason to presume it'S any different for Alleria or the Void Elves given that the only meaningful difference there is going off the deep end, which would without further elaboration simply boil down to plot armor. Just for comparison this is what happened to orcs, after extended exposure to the Oshu'gun void naaru.

It is sad that we haven't had a questline about the restoration of the Church of the Light or the paladin order in the Alliance. Northshire Abbey was burned and the top leadership of the Church were killed. So much clerical knowledge lost, not to mention the Silver Hand destroyed. There should have been quests about trying to rebuild the churches and the paladin orders, trying to find old teachings, the struggles of inexperienced priests and apprentices having to step up and become bishops and paladins before they were ready, and the emergence of a second generation of Silver Hand paladins in service to the Alliance.

The Silver Hand technically never got destroyed. In the classic starting zone the Paladins of Northshire Abbey were still considered knights of the Silver Hand. Then again, they somehow love to retcon everything relating to the Light and its institutions on Azeroth. Most people probably don't even know that Alexandros Mograine used to be the founder of the Scarlet Crusade (which makes his ultimate fate as some undead goon in Maldraxxus even more retarded).

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    While we're at it, a dude who's greatest contact with the Light came from the total certainty of deciding his enemy needed to be wiped out sitting meekly by while a demon offed what's essentially the angel guiding him for a thousand years in front of him is the cherry on top of the illogic that is everything around the Lightforged and Illidan.
    Not fair to blame Turalyon for that. Illidan is similar to Sylvanas in that he functions as a black hole that necessarily turns every character caught in his gravitational field into a bumbling retard in order to show how special and cool he is.
    Last edited by Nerovar; 2022-04-26 at 10:00 AM.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    He is definition of cardboard cutout character.

The Paladins were somewhat wierd over the course of WoW, the curch splintering into sects following certain big events like the treason of Benedictus would have made sense, but Aliance already does face criticism, for being way too human centric.

(All Order halls outside of Warlocks and Death Knights, who already had their disconnected cliques player was a member of were stupid)

- - - Updated - - -

The Silver Hand technically never got destroyed. In the classic starting zone the Paladins of Northshire Abbey were still considered knights of the Silver Hand. Then again, they somehow love to retcon everything relating to the Light and its institutions on Azeroth. Most people probably don't even know that Alexandros Mograine used to be the founder of the Scarlet Crusade (which makes his ultimate fate as some undead goon in Maldraxxus even more retarded).
    Welp that's comicbook characters for you.

Most of the OG Silver hand became the Scarlet Crusade, from which the Argent Dawn splintered, with with some randoms without any real leadership being spread all over the place, until Tirion came back from exile to reform it into an actual organisation, which then merged with Argent Dawn to make the Argent Crusade... and then around Legion they started calling themselves the Silver Hand for some dumb reason, while dragging in every other light wielding warrior organisation into it logic be damned...

Not fair to blame Turalyon for that. Illidan is similar to Sylvanas in that he functions as a black hole that necessarily turns every character caught in his gravitational field into a bumbling retard in order to show how special and cool he is.
    True and there's a case to be made that Turalyon's the dude who's integrity's been most compromised by the plot. Usually in WoW a character only has to inexplicably forgive one group, say, the Night Elves and the Horde or Genn and the Forsaken, but Turalyon's gone through this three times now. First with the orcs in BtDP so he can be Alleria's therapist, then with Illidan in Legion to show cool Illidan is and how the Lightforged are very tolerant despite being 25k year old veterans of a total war against Satan, and finally with the Forsaken in BTS to beef up Calia and set up world peace.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    True and there's a case to be made that Turalyon's the dude who's integrity's been most compromised by the plot. Usually in WoW a character only has to inexplicably forgive one group, say, the Night Elves and the Horde or Genn and the Forsaken, but Turalyon's gone through this three times now. First with the orcs in BtDP so he can be Alleria's therapist, then with Illidan in Legion to show cool Illidan is and how the Lightforged are very tolerant despite being 25k year old veterans of a total war against Satan, and finally with the Forsaken in BTS to beef up Calia and set up world peace.
    He might have been absent during MoP but he learned the lessons of Pandaria nonetheless.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

I will like him if they handle him differently from Anduin, abolish the nonsense High King position and make the Alliance more of a council of equals, allow other characters to be who they want without lectures or finger wags from a Horde sympathizer.

But that is being too hopeful at the moment.

He would need a character before I had an opinion on it. Seriously, how is he different from any other paladin? Even back in Warcraft 2 and the novelisation he just felt generic in the truest sense.

My issue is the possibility they will have him go all Light Jihad like Yrel did on Alternative Alternate Draenor (I still refuse to believe that Horde recruits the Mag'har Orcs from the Alternate Draenor that we were on in WoD. Otherwise that would be extremely crappy writing on Blizzard's part) and making Stormwind go along with it. IT would be totally against his character. While he is the leader of the Army of Light, he is also of Stormwind and his allegiance was to the House of Wrynn. I do not see him casting that aside so lightly, no pun intended, to start a Jihad on Azeroth.

I do see the political situation in Stormwind deteriorating because of what happened to Anduin, but not because of Turalyon. It would be more of an organic thing rather than an outsider like Onyxia, disguised as Lady Prestor, stirring things up. It will have a ripple effect through the Alliance as the personal ambitions of these "faction" (for lack of a better term) leaders in Stormwind run contrary to the wants/needs of the Night Elves, Dwarves, etc.