Page 1 of 19
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Can we agree that crafted legendaries failed?

I realize it was an attempt to step away from the RNG legendaries that we had before, but the way it turned out to be was more a cash grab for blizzard.

Crafters profit is near 0 with all expensive secondary mats needed, while buyers have to be spending anywhere from 40-200k just to be relevant with their maxed leggo slots for one spec. If we start getting into off specs and alts, i think people are easily spending towards 1m gold.

How do average players make that much money? They don't, they buy tokens.

I'm already spending 15 euros a month to play, i dont really want to be spending another 20 euros to equip my must-have gear.

inb4, yeah have fun grinding out that gold with dailies. Nobody got time for that.
    I 3d print stuff

I think I agree that it’s healthier that gold can be used as an alternative to obtaining competitive gear, but not the only path.

You dont really need highest tier legos on your alts right? Even on your main, unless you are in some top 50 guild, the difference in ilevel on the legendary wont make much a difference on your performance. And majority of like top 300 guilds even pay for their raiders legos, so that elevates the cost.

You have to move away from the notion that a higher ilevel lego makes you a better player, when its most likely other things holding you back.

So imo the only failure of the crafted lego system is that you cant equip any 2 legos and the slots limitation. Remove those 2 things and the system wouldve been even better.

15+ Year Old Account
    Um.. no? The difference between a max ilvl legendary and an affordable one is probably minuscule. I'd say this is more a matter of false perception driving people to spend $$ than anything else. I wound up waiting until prices dropped, and my dps never suffered for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    I wound up waiting until prices dropped, and my dps never suffered for it.
    Well, it suffered while you waited, so......
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Yes and no.

We can still use low level legendaries. The highest ilvl legendary is the belt, and outside of that one belt on my main, I have only one 235 legendary across all my 12 toons while all the other legendaries are in varying degrees of rank 1 to rank 3. My ret is still using his ilvl190 leggo. My priest hasn't even crafted his first holy or shadow leggo.

But having said that, it's also failed in the way that some of us can choose not to engage in this expansion mechanic. And yes, only my main has the "free" belt. I CBF to do it on the rest of my alts.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Runicblood View Post
    I realize it was an attempt to step away from the RNG legendaries that we had before, but the way it turned out to be was more a cash grab for blizzard.

Crafters profit is near 0 with all expensive secondary mats needed, while buyers have to be spending anywhere from 40-200k just to be relevant with their maxed leggo slots for one spec. If we start getting into off specs and alts, i think people are easily spending towards 1m gold.

How do average players make that much money? They don't, they buy tokens.
    It is patently impossible for the "average player" to acquire gold via tokens. The way the system works in practice is that a small portion of the portion spends cash to buy tokens while another small portion of the playerbase sells their gold to acquire those tokens.

inb4, yeah have fun grinding out that gold with dailies. Nobody got time for that.
    Making 40-200K gold is not hard if you're just playing the game a few hours a week. Callings take a few minutes to complete for 2K, there is the weekly Anima quest which just happens, there is the mission table that can supply easily 1K per day for literally 2 minutes of effort.

There is absolutely zero need for any kind of "grind". Just play the game for 15-20 mins each day (or an hour every 3rd day) and you're golden - easily to the tune of 25K per week. That is well over 1M in a year, and way more than enough to cover the paltry amount you "need" as an "average player". And honestly, if you aren't prepared to put in that much effort, then having a cash option to acquire that gold should be seen as a blessing.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2022-04-25 at 08:16 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    It is patently impossible for the "average player" to acquire gold via tokens. The way the system works in practice is that a small portion of the portion spends cash to buy tokens while another small portion of the playerbase sells their gold to acquire those tokens.

Making 40-200K gold is not hard if you're just playing the game a few hours a week..
    The few hours a week i have to play are spent raiding and pushing keys, doing content I enjoy. I really can't get around to do the dailies.

and with this logic, i might be able to afford 1 lego / 2 weeks, as long as i'm not spending my gold on any other consumables that I use while raiding and pushing keys (flasks and potions cost about as much as i can make from dailies, but whatever, lets imagine they don't exist). So in 2-4 weeks I might have 1 spec. Well, surprise, i want to play my offspec too. Back to being irrelevant for a month. Oh wait, next month all this content is irrelevant.

Also, this has gone off the original topic, but I'm fairly certain the tokens work just like the market does. there are for sure a small percent of whales that circulate the vast majority of tokens, meanwhile most of the time it's people buying with real money to sell for gold. The statistics might say that it's an even buy-sell, but i really don't think the reality is like that.
    Last edited by Runicblood; 2022-04-25 at 08:41 AM.
    I 3d print stuff

Yes, yes it did... I was looking forward to crafting my own and such. But when I saw I had to create the same piece over and over to fill up a bar to learn next ilvl it killed the profession for me.

I don't mind grinding to craft something. Grinding to craft something that you also have to grind crafting is just no no no.

It was a failure because they wanted to slow down the ilvl acquisition. Which I get, but it made the whole thing awful.

People couldn't make money, and people couldn't upgrade pieces without spending lots of gold.

Additional note.
    I take legion version over this crafted one. At least that felt good to me. Even when I do raids for mogs and i get it I still get the "oh, hey alright" feeling.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2022-04-25 at 08:44 AM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Yes, yes it did... I was looking forward to crafting my own and such. But when I saw I had to create the same piece over and over to fill up a bar to learn next ilvl it killed the profession for me.

I don't mind grinding to craft something. Grinding to craft something that you also have to grind craft is just no no no.

It was a failure because they wanted to slow down the ilvl acquisition. Which I get, but it made the whole thing awful.
    I'm hyped for the crafting system they showed off in dragonnflight, THAT's actual progressive crafting content, not this BS legendary fill the bar thing...
    I 3d print stuff

I’d definitely take it over Legions system, so I wouldn’t say it has “failed”, however like a lot of posters before me have said it could of definitely been tweaked to be better

I think it's pretty safe to say that the system failed. While a deterministic approach was correct, turning it into a money splurging orgy was definitely not something that was very conductive to the system. Everyone essentially just looked up their BiS and never bothered with the rest. The fact that you couldn't even collect the appearances via legendaries also just ment that people never bothered with all the other non-bis legendaries, which even the legion system did way better in hindsight, because I used at least the fun ones occasionally while doing WQs on alts. In SL I barely bothered with alts at all and certainly didn't get them legendaries.

The base idea might have been sound if you could have crafted the blank by 60-90% spending your effort in getting the materials and 10-40% unlocking the recipe, sadly getting one recipe even ment you had to either spend tons of money on the AH or farm like a madman and if you weren't among the very first to do so you had no chance to recover your investment, because no one buys shit tier blanks a couple weeks into the expansion.

It could have worked in theory, but the execution was atrocious for the overwhelming majority of the playerbase.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

The principle was good - but there were some serious implementation errors.

Having recipes tied to content that's on a timed rotation and not always available is terrible. One would think they'd have learned from the corruption vendor...

The "craft 500 items to level up" model is also pretty bad, since it floods the market with useless chaff and creates tedium beyond belief.

And of course the material costs in general were completely out of control, paying 200,000+ gold for certain pieces is just a silly system that disproportionately hurts new and casual players - which is the OPPOSITE of what you want if your goal is getting new people into your game.

I think it was overall the fairest legendary system so far, but I'm also kind of glad they're getting rid of it.

Biggest failings for me was the slot limitations, and some being tied to the weekly rotations of certain content particularly torghast and it being on a random rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I think it was overall the fairest legendary system so far, but I'm also kind of glad they're getting rid of it.
    I don't think so. The fairest was definitely the end of legion system, where they fixed all the shit that was wrong with it in the beginning. You just went out into the world (including instances), did something and got yourself some currency to work towards your legendary. If you already had one, you just spend a bit to upgrade it. If you already had the best ones you could buy fun ones to complete your collection. I think you could even still get lucky and sometimes get one randmoly, speeding up the process.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Janitor View Post
    adly getting one recipe even ment you had to either spend tons of money on the AH or farm like a madman .
    Would like to pull this quote out and mention that in order to level up your crafting recipe you not only had to spend a ton of gold on the normal tradeskill mats (cloth, leather, ores) but you also had to spend a LOT A LOT of gold on the vendor trash material. every single item costed atleast a few thousand gold just in vendor mats, that couldn't be farmed anywhere.. multiply that with the ~hundred blanks required to reach max rank, you're already looking at a few hundred thousand gold investment to even be able to craft a max level one.
    I 3d print stuff

What are you talking about? My 7 alts all have 2 291 leggos, only cost me 5 tokens or so Problem is the 5000 cosmic flux...

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    I liked it but the base cost legendary prices. So yes i do agree. I liked the legion approach way better
    love WoWarcraft

Most of that gold stays in the economy. I made way more by selling all the Progenitor Essentia crap than I spent on my legendary bases, and I don't really play that much. Somebody, somewhere, has that gold.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Most of that gold stays in the economy. I made way more by selling all the Progenitor Essentia crap than I spent on my legendary bases, and I don't really play that much. Somebody, somewhere, has that gold.
    the gold is in the banks of the whales that control the AH / token market, of course.
    I 3d print stuff