Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I wouldn't be shocked if king is why MS bought them with their plans to bring streaming and game pass to mobile in some fashion, its a hell of a foot in the door with the candy crush crowd.
    Oh hell no. They wanted the ATVI brands like CoD and Warcraft and OW and shit, plus all the tech they have (Bnet etc.)

King is a great addition as well because it gives Microsoft a bigger presence in the mobile space, but King is likely the smallest in terms of the value of the 3 companies overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Candy Crush is a massive IP. Underestimate its value at your own peril. Hell, it had double digit growth in this report.
    It is, but remember how much ATVI paid for King: Around $6B.

So around...8% of what the combined companies are supposedly going to Microsoft for (I am bad at math), around $65B. Even if we double the value of King to $12B (which is big), it still makes up the smallest of the three companies.

15+ Year Old Account
    It isn't as bad as I was thinking it would be. It was a big miss with CoD since the competition had a bad product as well and Activision couldn't win over those disgruntled players.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Oh, stop with that tinfoil hat. It is cutting off the already lacking air circulation in your head. Blizzard does not own MMO-champion, and people at MMO-champion aren't around 24/7 to post everything, sometimes you see a delay, and not just right away from the reveal. You would know if you noticed.

Then again, with your post, you sound like the person aiming for doom and gloom more than other topics.

But on the topic. Lord, their new layout of earnings calls is ugly and messy. Not like when I made earnings call threads years ago.
    The format has temporarily changed until the microsoft merger is finalized.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Compared to 2021 it’s down $500M. As per your own link. People CAN read right?
    The first comment referred to Blizzard, not Activision-Blizzard. Since this is MMO-Champion, not MMO + FPS + mobile candy games -champion, shouldn't we be talking about the numbers for the Blizzard unit, not ATVI as a whole?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Blizzard losing another 2 million MAU is quite a lot even for a slow period, sounds more like WoW is not doing as well as people expected or that the competition has gotten too stiff. Still takes a good while for Dragonflight to release but at least they got WotLK Classic later this year. They got DI and OW2 coming up which I expect to stop the bleeding to go down from 20 mil.

CoD not doing well always sounds so satisfying

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Blizzard net revenue in Q1 was $274 M. Blizzard operating income was $53 M, down from $208 M in Q1 2021.

https://investor.activision.com/news...2022-financial
    That's...substantial. But if you look at the historical data:

2015 = 139
    2016 = 294
    2017 = 159
    2018 = 122
    2019 = 55
    2020 = 197
    2021 = 53

If you were the chairman of ATVI, how would you spin that, to investors? (not that it matters now, since ATVI got bought)

What story do you want that to tell?

What they chose: COD failed, Blizzard expansion cycle.

My subtext - they're relying on two products for income, have nothing in the pipeline that could prop those numbers up, but...um...well...new mobile game! Woo!

Going by the markets reaction, they care more if the acquisition goes through, for that sweet $95 sale price, than the story they told. And so it goes...

If the MS sale fails...ooh, that's gonna get ugly. Real ugly.

Fun times! I'm trying to have sympathy, but....nah. None. Bone dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    That's...substantial. But if you look at the historical data:

2015 = 139
    2016 = 294
    2017 = 159
    2018 = 122
    2019 = 55
    2020 = 197
    2021 = 53

If you were the chairman of ATVI, how would you spin that, to investors? (not that it matters now, since ATVI got bought)

What story do you want that to tell?

What they chose: COD failed, Blizzard expansion cycle.

My subtext - they're relying on two products for income, have nothing in the pipeline that could prop those numbers up, but...um...well...new mobile game! Woo!

Going by the markets reaction, they care more if the acquisition goes through, for that sweet $95 sale price, than the story they told. And so it goes...

If the MS sale fails...ooh, that's gonna get ugly. Real ugly.

Fun times! I'm trying to have sympathy, but....nah. None. Bone dry.
    What's funny is if you look at their operating income, King makes 2.5x what Blizzard and Activision make put together. And their monthly users dwarfs blizzard and activision by multiples. The company should be called "King-Activision-Blizzard". Also, king's margin % is incredibly more efficient. ~35% profit margin vs. Activisions ~10% profit margin.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2022-04-25 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Oh hell no. They wanted the ATVI brands like CoD and Warcraft and OW and shit, plus all the tech they have (Bnet etc.)

King is a great addition as well because it gives Microsoft a bigger presence in the mobile space, but King is likely the smallest in terms of the value of the 3 companies overall.
    King outperformed both Activision and Blizzard by a large margin in Q1. They're paying the rent now. If they didn't have King, this report would be unmitigated disaster.

King is a money shitting company. That's why ATVI bought them.

King is also more stable than the other two divisions, when it comes to MAUs

Activision went from 150 to 100 over the last year, Blizzard 27 to 22, King 258 to 250. King has more overall MAUs than bothBlizzard and Activision combined. Still think they're smallest?

Even with how Blizzard/Activision cooks the books with engagements, they're losing customers, fairly efficiently. Granted, the scandals were right in the middle of that, which absolutely contributed, but still. King is keeping the lights on over there.

I mean, read the numbers. All the data is there on their site. Do some graphs and chart their performance over time. Buying King was the smartest thing they've done in years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    What's funny is if you look at their operating income, King makes 2.5x what Blizzard and Activision make put together. And their monthly users dwarfs blizzard and activision by multiples. The company should be called "King-Activision-Blizzard".
    Absolutely. Just posted about that. King runs Bartertown, now. A lot of people discount King, but their money pooping ability is enormous.

Absolutely. Just posted about that. King runs Bartertown, now. A lot of people discount King, but their money pooping ability is enormous.
    I don't think its that people discount King it's that they dislike the exploitive nature of Mobile games. Some nft game made like 5 billion in less than a year but that doesn't mean its a good game or that we should start making all games like that.

King outperformed both Activision and Blizzard by a large margin in Q1.
    Obviously, neither Activision or Blizzard released a game in Q1. Like yea they still make some sub and mtx money along with random sales but Activision and Blizzard always make the vast majority of their money in quarters with new games releases, especially Activision. King is more like steady passive income for them. Random sales outside of release quarters is never going to compete with mobile money from the king(pun intended) of mobile games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    The format has temporarily changed until the microsoft merger is finalized.
    Ah. I have not noticed anywhere saying that, hopefully, a better format via Microsoft for the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    No one is talking about it because:

"In light of the proposed transaction with Microsoft, and as is customary during the pendency of an acquisition, Activision Blizzard will not be hosting a conference call, issuing an earnings presentation, or providing financial guidance in conjunction with its first quarter 2022 earnings release. For further detail and discussion of our financial performance please refer to our upcoming quarterly report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended March 31, 2022."
    Almost ended up pressing 'report post' on your comment, as my brain went automatically to press 'Like'.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Not true. I usually tend to look at Quarter calls through MMO-Champion.

So Blizzard lost another chunk of users or what?
    Only 2 million MAUs out of what... 24 something million for Blizzard alone, but MAUs are hard to calculate what the loss is from.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Man people be chomping at the bitch to find a reason why their guild disbanding 8 years ago was a direct result of blizzards failure as a company and these q1 2022 earning calls is what's going to prove it

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Man people be chomping at the bitch
    I smiled at this. Was it deliberate, or have you been thinking this was the actual idiom?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darklogrus View Post
    Ehh, you are always in a lull after a exp release, nothing news worthy here lol
    Except those lulls are getting lower every expansion release. the lulls at the end of TBC are very different to the lulls at the end of SL. Blizzards lows get lower every expansion, meanwhile the highs never get as high as they have been at the start of every expansion.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Awww yes that time of the year when copium supplies get put to the test by fanboys. Bro its not even 500 m , its just a lul , its only 2 mil more MAU deleted , its the markets , its the weather , its the old gods and the new.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I smiled at this. Was it deliberate, or have you been thinking this was the actual idiom?
    Bad autocorrect actually says something about my texting habits but MAN I love that better

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah. I have not noticed anywhere saying that, hopefully, a better format via Microsoft for the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Almost ended up pressing 'report post' on your comment, as my brain went automatically to press 'Like'.

- - - Updated - - -

Only 2 million MAUs out of what... 24 something million for Blizzard alone, but MAUs are hard to calculate what the loss is from.
    NGL isn't 24M low for blizzard standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    NGL isn't 24M low for blizzard standards.
    Well, 22 million MAUs over WoW, Overwatch, Diablo, HotS, HS, WC3RF, Classic, SC2 isn't a bad number.. Depends on how they are divided. 22 million monthly active users in a quarter.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, 22 million MAUs over WoW, Overwatch, Diablo, HotS, HS, WC3RF, Classic, SC2 isn't a bad number.. Depends on how they are divided. 22 million monthly active users in a quarter.
    Ayeah but wasn't it like 40-50M before?
    It's still far above most companies have ofc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post