Page 30 of 83 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Still not clear to me what a gamergate is...
    My short biased answer:
    Series of events that got blown out of proportion by game journalists own overreaction which in turn resulted in gamers became more politically involved than they really ever needed to be.

Long answer:
    1) Zoe Quinn who considers writing text in some basic visual novel tool calls herself a game developer and rides Nathan Grayson's bologne pony for positive coverage (No It wasn't a review, it doesn't matter anyway).
    2) Her cucked boyfriend at the time made a blogpost about it.
    3) Adam Baldwin made a tweet about coining the term Gamergate.
    4) Gamers started to gossip about it.
    5) Game Journos overreact and drop the fabled 18 "Gamers are dead" articles.
    6) Gamers are now intrigued.
    7) m00t, 4chan owner at the time bans /v/ board from discussing the topic and telling them to focus on vidya.
    8) One reddit post on /r/games that discussed the topic had 20k post deleted.
    9) At this point it's clear the situation is out of control and game journos begin damage control.
    10) Anita Sarkissian and John Walker Flynt force themselves into the controversy even though they had nothing to do with it.
    11) Game Journos circle the wagons, shove fingers into their ears and scream "lalala cant hear you! this is about misogynistic gamers".
    12) Along the way you had twitter trending a hashtag "not your shield" where minorities and women told game journalists to fuck off and stop using them as sock puppets to create a fake narrative of harassment and racism.

The rest is history and drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzonathan View Post
    My short biased answer:
    Series of events that got blown out of proportion by game journalists own overreaction which in turn resulted in gamers became more politically involved than they really ever needed to be.

Long answer:
    1) Zoe Quinn who considers writing text in some basic visual novel tool calls herself a game developer and rides Nathan Grayson's bologne pony for positive coverage (No It wasn't a review, it doesn't matter anyway).
    7) m00t, 4chan owner at the time bans /v/ board from discussing the topic and telling them to focus on vidya.
    9) At this point it's clear the situation is out of control and game journos begin damage control.
    10) Anita Sarkissian and John Walker Flynt force themselves into the controversy even though they had nothing to do with it.
    11) Game Journos circle the wagons, shove fingers into their ears and scream "lalala cant hear you! this is about misogynistic gamers".
    12) Along the way you had twitter trending a hashtag "not your shield" where minorities and women told game journalists to fuck off and stop using them as sock puppets to create a fake narrative of harassment and racism.

Imagine still believing the Gamergate horseshit in 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Imagine still believing the Gamergate horseshit in 2022.
    As someone in the gaming industry who was very involved in this directly and indirectly, and who spent a lot of time on KiA as this shit unfolded, it's absolutely hilarious to me that KiA even exists. It's a bunch of angry nerds who legit don't understand how gamedev works, how the gaming industry works, how endemic press works, or really how reality works. And even after it's died down for like 5+ years they still can't let that shit go, kek.

These folks thought that Gamasutra automatically re-hosting press releases posted to GamesPress (a paid site where publishers can put information and assets up for media to grab them for news coverage) was "collusion"...when it's literally just rehosting boring press releases on a "press release" section of the site that legit nobody checks and PR just uses to claim a free earned-coverage hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    That’s exactly what it means legally speaking. If defamation occurred then there are damages to be awarded. If none occurred then you get no damages. It doesn’t go, “You were defamed but it didn’t harm you in any way, so zero damages.”

- - - Updated - - -

What’s ridiculous is how so many people think proving Amber sucks means she defamed the equally shitty Depp.
    I think you misunderstand. There are actually 2 questions at play in defamation cases.

1) has defamation occurred
    2) if defamation has occurred, what is a just compensation

It is entirely possible for a jury to decide that defamation has occurred, but there are no (or minor) damages.

Source: https://www.minclaw.com/prove-damage...ation-lawsuit/
    Awarding defamation damages can be very subjective and each jurisdiction has its own rules about what entitles a plaintiff to recovery. No two defamation cases are exactly alike, and courts undergo damage analysis on a case by case basis. This does not mean that defamers are not held accountable. A defamer can be liable for their statements, even if they aren’t ordered to pay the victim. This is because courts view liability and damages as two separate issues.

- - - Updated - - -

My short biased answer:

Long answer:

Sounds like a confused mess. It's awfully dismissive to believe any gamers interest in social issues is related to this though.

Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    "The judge is crooked", Depp fans are the new QAnon. Remember, Trump and fans spent months complaining about the "mexican judge" screwing him in a lawsuit.

Sorry Ladies, but all the Very Online Progressives heard the Gamer Gate dog whistle. This thread is their Pavlovian response.
    It's YouTube junkies howling in defense of a burnt out Boomer junkie. Even skeptic/math youtube channels on jumping the rating bonanza. Why talk about cartesian coordinates? When views calling Anitia Sarkeesian Amber HEard "a lYIng BItc!" get 10000x the views.
    Man, Gamer Gate really does live rent free in your head doesn't it? What a sad existence.

How about watch the trial, in particular the cross examination of Amber Heard done by Camille, it's textbook and puts into doubt the believability of anything that woman has ever said because she gets completely exposed for being a liar. When she blatantly lied about making charity donations from the divorce settlement in order to get brownie points from the media, it makes it pretty easy to doubt the truthfulness of any other statement she makes.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    I think you misunderstand. There are actually 2 questions at play in defamation cases.

It is entirely possible for a jury to decide that defamation has occurred, but there are no (or minor) damages.

Awarding defamation damages can be very subjective and each jurisdiction has its own rules about what entitles a plaintiff to recovery. No two defamation cases are exactly alike, and courts undergo damage analysis on a case by case basis. This does not mean that defamers are not held accountable. A defamer can be liable for their statements, even if they aren’t ordered to pay the victim. This is because courts view liability and damages as two separate issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a confused mess. It's awfully dismissive to believe any gamers interest in social issues is related to this though.
    The Venn diagram of folks posting about both have a loooot of overlap.
    Blessed are the fornicates, may we bend down to be their whores. Blessed are the rich, may our labor deliver them more.
    Blessed are the envious; bless the slothful, the wrathful, the vain. Blessed are the gluttonous, may they feast us to famine and war.
    What of the pious, the pure of heart, the peaceful, the meek, the mourning, and the merciful? All doomed, all doomed

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    The Venn diagram of folks posting about both have a loooot of overlap.
    So does the Venn diagram of pigs and humans =P

I feel left out here… wtf is gamer gate, and why does it connect here?
    Here's you on the famous GG thread.

...This thread seriously has 329 pages about how game reviewers aren't entirely independent and how some slut sleeps with guys to further her goals?.. Seriously?..

*Sad panda*

Your usage of the word "slut"", is you telling on yourself.

The Venn diagram is "hating on women in an unprompted fashion."

Thread successfully derailed with irrelevant Gamergate bollocks I guess. Would be cool if this didn't get locked.

- - - Updated - - -

Moving the goalposts to minor is fun.

That’s exactly what it means legally speaking. If defamation occurred then there are damages to be awarded. If none occurred then you get no damages. It doesn’t go, “You were defamed but it didn’t harm you in any way, so zero damages.”

- - - Updated - - -

What’s ridiculous is how so many people think proving Amber sucks means she defamed the equally shitty Depp.
    Considering the sister's testimony, I don't know how this jury could rule for Depp here.

Moving the goalposts to minor is fun.
    No goalposts moved, I just wished to indicate that while he asks for 50 million, the jury does not have to agree with his number. They can also say there are no damages, or only minor damages (say; courtcosts)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Considering the sister's testimony, I don't know how this jury could rule for Depp here.
    The sisters statements directly contradict several of Ambers statements though... it's all up to the jury.

Amber looks crazy enough to hurt herself to fake evidence. I can tell when someone is an evil bitch and she is an evil bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Amber looks crazy enough to hurt herself to fake evidence. I can tell when someone is an evil bitch and she is an evil bitch.
    The make up artist said it best the bruise kit she claims is to cover bruises is called that because you can make it so you have bruises all over.

Apparently the jury hates Amber's sister. After her testimony she sat in the galley and just glared at everyone. That's really bad for Amber because of the defense witnesses, her testimony was the most believable and damning.

Add his former agent’s testimony in as well.

- - - Updated - - -

No goalposts moved, I just wished to indicate that while he asks for 50 million, the jury does not have to agree with his number. They can also say there are no damages, or only minor damages (say; courtcosts)

- - - Updated - - -

The sisters statements directly contradict several of Ambers statements though... it's all up to the jury.
    If he was defamed they really can’t come back with no damages. So, yes, by adding in minor you’re moving the goalposts.

It's not dismissive because its true and I was one such gamer.
    I couldn't give less of a shit about politics.
    My blissful ignorance was so profound that I didn't even knew what left wing or right wing even was.
    Life was simple: Devs made good games with good gameplay so I bought them.
    Suddenly BAM! Somehow I hate women.

It's not dismissive because its true and I was one such gamer.
    I couldn't give less of a shit about politics.
    My blissful ignorance was so profound that I didn't even knew what left wing or right wing even was.
    Life was simple: Devs made good games with good gameplay so I bought them.
    Suddenly BAM! Somehow I hate women.
    I’d argue there’s a couple of confounding variables there xD

- - - Updated - - -

Add his former agent’s testimony in as well.

- - - Updated - - -

If he was defamed they really can’t come back with no damages. So, yes, by adding in minor you’re moving the goalposts.
    Yea… they really can.

It is entirely possible for the jury to agree that AH defamed JD, but award him no damages.

I’d argue there’s a couple of confounding variables there xD
    Could you please elaborate?

Could you please elaborate?
    My comment was meant tongue in cheek, and to not derail the thread, I’m gonna decline on elaborating