Page 28 of 84 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    Sounds like a confused mess. It's awfully dismissive to believe any gamers interest in social issues is related to this though.
    It's not dismissive because its true and I was one such gamer.
    I couldn't give less of a shit about politics.
    My blissful ignorance was so profound that I didn't even knew what left wing or right wing even was.
    Life was simple: Devs made good games with good gameplay so I bought them.
    Suddenly BAM! Somehow I hate women.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzonathan View Post
    It's not dismissive because its true and I was one such gamer.
    I couldn't give less of a shit about politics.
    My blissful ignorance was so profound that I didn't even knew what left wing or right wing even was.
    Life was simple: Devs made good games with good gameplay so I bought them.
    Suddenly BAM! Somehow I hate women.
    I’d argue there’s a couple of confounding variables there xD

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Add his former agent’s testimony in as well.

- - - Updated - - -

If he was defamed they really can’t come back with no damages. So, yes, by adding in minor you’re moving the goalposts.
    Yea… they really can.

It is entirely possible for the jury to agree that AH defamed JD, but award him no damages.

I’d argue there’s a couple of confounding variables there xD
    Could you please elaborate?

Could you please elaborate?
    My comment was meant tongue in cheek, and to not derail the thread, I’m gonna decline on elaborating

Doesn't the one witnessing about Heard losing out jobs inadvertently argue the case for Depp?
    "No one wants to hire someone with negative press around them and accusations of being a liar and an abuser".

She is constantly saying it's evident and obvious she lost jobs due to press.
    Which I agree with. It just works both ways.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The Sarkeesian shit was always a bullshit hatchet job from day 1. Heard's in a position where her actions are legally actionable on that point.
    I genuinely don't understand how her claiming to donate the money, when in reality she simply pledged it, isn't seen as perjury by many. The defense of "I use them synonymously" when they're very different words by definition and they're not used synonymously in common parlance doesn't seem like it would hold up to scrutiny. It's like, the difference between giving someone an I.O.U. for $1,000 and giving someone $1,000 is $1,000.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

My comment was meant tongue in cheek, and to not derail the thread, I’m gonna decline on elaborating
    Feel free to PM me.

7+ Year Old Account
    No, it isn’t. If he was defamed they will award him attorneys fees at a minimum.
    This doesn't appear to be true. In the U.S., each party is responsible for their own attorney's fees except in special cases:

Quote Originally Posted by U.S. D.O.J
    The general rule in this country, the so-called "American Rule" is that each party must pay its own attorney's fees. See Alyeska Pipeline Service Co. v. Wilderness Society, 421 U.S. 240 (1975). There are, however, numerous federal statutes providing for attorney fee awards where the United States or a federal agency or official is a party. The most generally applicable statute authorizing attorney's fees awards against the United States is the Equal Access to Justice Act (EAJA), 28 U.S.C. § 2412, which makes the federal government liable for fees where:
    (1) any other party would be liable under common law or under the terms of any federal statute which specifically provides for such an award, 28 U.S.C. § 2412(b); or
    (2) in any civil action (other than cases sounding in tort) brought by or against the United States in any court having jurisdiction of that action, unless the court finds that the position of the United States was substantially justified or that special circumstances make an award unjust. 28 U.S.C. § 2412(d)(1).
    - Link

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    I'm an antifascist, pointing out that Depp fans are using a lot of fascist tactics.

/honk honk
    I'm unsure what level of irony you're on: is it the layer of being an antifascist ironically using the cryptofascist "Heil Hitler" (HH) meme, or the layer of a being cryptofascist cosplaying an antifascist and accidentally using HH?
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Well..... they allowed a tabloid to call him a wife beater. Tabloids in the UK can almost get away with murder. I'm sure that in almost every other country a court would've said otherwise.
    The standard for defamation is higher in the USA than it is in the UK.. Its easier to sue for defamation in the UK.

My short biased answer:
    Series of events that got blown out of proportion by game journalists own overreaction which in turn resulted in gamers became more politically involved than they really ever needed to be.

Long answer:
    1) Zoe Quinn who considers writing text in some basic visual novel tool calls herself a game developer and rides Nathan Grayson's bologne pony for positive coverage (No It wasn't a review, it doesn't matter anyway).
    2) Her cucked boyfriend at the time made a blogpost about it.
    3) Adam Baldwin made a tweet about coining the term Gamergate.
    4) Gamers started to gossip about it.
    5) Game Journos overreact and drop the fabled 18 "Gamers are dead" articles.
    6) Gamers are now intrigued.
    7) m00t, 4chan owner at the time bans /v/ board from discussing the topic and telling them to focus on vidya.
    8) One reddit post on /r/games that discussed the topic had 20k post deleted.
    9) At this point it's clear the situation is out of control and game journos begin damage control.
    10) Anita Sarkissian and John Walker Flynt force themselves into the controversy even though they had nothing to do with it.
    11) Game Journos circle the wagons, shove fingers into their ears and scream "lalala cant hear you! this is about misogynistic gamers".
    12) Along the way you had twitter trending a hashtag "not your shield" where minorities and women told game journalists to fuck off and stop using them as sock puppets to create a fake narrative of harassment and racism.

The rest is history and drama.
    I always thought Gamergate was all about Beta and Omega Males being outraged at women not dating them?

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    it was good enough for a court in the UK, alot of you seem to be ignoring that happened.
    Well, so far the UK court sounds like they have failed with everything.

My short biased answer:
    Series of events that got blown out of proportion by game journalists own overreaction which in turn resulted in gamers became more politically involved than they really ever needed to be.

Long answer:
    1) Zoe Quinn who considers writing text in some basic visual novel tool calls herself a game developer and rides Nathan Grayson's bologne pony for positive coverage (No It wasn't a review, it doesn't matter anyway).
    2) Her cucked boyfriend at the time made a blogpost about it.
    3) Adam Baldwin made a tweet about coining the term Gamergate.
    4) Gamers started to gossip about it.
    5) Game Journos overreact and drop the fabled 18 "Gamers are dead" articles.
    6) Gamers are now intrigued.
    7) m00t, 4chan owner at the time bans /v/ board from discussing the topic and telling them to focus on vidya.
    8) One reddit post on /r/games that discussed the topic had 20k post deleted.
    9) At this point it's clear the situation is out of control and game journos begin damage control.
    10) Anita Sarkissian and John Walker Flynt force themselves into the controversy even though they had nothing to do with it.
    11) Game Journos circle the wagons, shove fingers into their ears and scream "lalala cant hear you! this is about misogynistic gamers".
    12) Along the way you had twitter trending a hashtag "not your shield" where minorities and women told game journalists to fuck off and stop using them as sock puppets to create a fake narrative of harassment and racism.

The rest is history and drama.
    Oh shit. We are back to 2012

Gamergate was prob when internet culture really clashed with the real world and people. Its a shame it basically became a funnel for gamers to say the n word a bunch of years later

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Well, so far the UK court sounds like they have failed with everything.
    The UK court didn't fail. You can read the case and the reasoning of the judge. Johnny Depp even appealed his case and was dismissed.

He is a certified wife beater.

15+ Year Old Account
    Short version.
    Did he hit/abuse her?
    Did she hit/abuse him?
    Did they hit/abuse each other?
    Who lie and defame the ass of the other party?

I haven't followed it but I wrote a snarky remark to a mate when he said "Na cant play Overwatch right now, watching the trial" and I lol'd in his face.
    Seems like its hyped so a TDRL of the above, enlighten me, who will "win"
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Plenty of evidence he was in fact abusive. That makes it hard for Depp to win anything here.
    Good, dont care if its him, her, both but if he was a fucking idiot he should pay the price.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    The UK court didn't fail. You can read the case and the reasoning of the judge. Johnny Depp even appealed his case and was dismissed.

He is a certified wife beater.
    It absolutely did fail, because she defamed him.

15+ Year Old Account
    Both were idiots. He’s trying to claim her bad behavior nullifies his own while giggling and flirting with his lawyer during the whole process. I honestly hope Aquaman 2 is the last we see of either of them.
    OK, thnx for the answers. Only seen the headlines and never bothered to read just took notice of Depps face looking like its made for a new Narcos serie on Netflix.
    Purely objective & silly note but slightly amusing

Experts smarter and more experienced than you disagree.

Johnny Depp's legal team has admitted to instances of abuse. Not physical but things that can be interpreted as verbal at min

The damages Amber Heard has done to real victims of domestic abuse is incalculable