Page 29 of 84 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    Johnny Depp's legal team has admitted to instances of abuse. Not physical but things that can be interpreted as verbal at min
    Perhaps, but if yelling at eachother is automatically abuse than nearly every couple in existence are abusive.

Also, while this case is about “abuse” in the broader term, the UK trial wws specifically about the term “wife beater” which does refer to hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzonathan View Post
    My short biased answer:
    Series of events that got blown out of proportion by game journalists own overreaction which in turn resulted in gamers became more politically involved than they really ever needed to be.

Long answer:
    1) Zoe Quinn who considers writing text in some basic visual novel tool calls herself a game developer and rides Nathan Grayson's bologne pony for positive coverage (No It wasn't a review, it doesn't matter anyway).
    2) Her cucked boyfriend at the time made a blogpost about it.
    3) Adam Baldwin made a tweet about coining the term Gamergate.
    4) Gamers started to gossip about it.
    5) Game Journos overreact and drop the fabled 18 "Gamers are dead" articles.
    6) Gamers are now intrigued.
    7) m00t, 4chan owner at the time bans /v/ board from discussing the topic and telling them to focus on vidya.
    8) One reddit post on /r/games that discussed the topic had 20k post deleted.
    9) At this point it's clear the situation is out of control and game journos begin damage control.
    10) Anita Sarkissian and John Walker Flynt force themselves into the controversy even though they had nothing to do with it.
    11) Game Journos circle the wagons, shove fingers into their ears and scream "lalala cant hear you! this is about misogynistic gamers".
    12) Along the way you had twitter trending a hashtag "not your shield" where minorities and women told game journalists to fuck off and stop using them as sock puppets to create a fake narrative of harassment and racism.

The rest is history and drama.
    The use of the word "journo" alone would tell you're not a neutral observer.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Imagine still believing the Gamergate horseshit in 2022.
    It still lives rent free in Brianna Wu's head, and David Jaffe's for that matter, so I doubt it'll ever be truly dead so long as they keep resurrecting the dead corpse

There's a few others who love to use it to blame the world's ills and it's actually pretty cringe if I'm being honest. I can't remember who it was but someone the other day tried to blame video games and GG for the Buffalo shooting. Like, that's not even rational considering the height of GG happened when that dude was like 12 years old. Seems some people on Twitter just can't let it die, because frankly it's long since been dead for those of us who supported it. Anyway, I think it's getting off topic here.

Johnny Depp's legal team has admitted to instances of abuse. Not physical but things that can be interpreted as verbal at min
    It's clear when two addicts get together there's going to be abuse but she accused him of specific physical abuse which don't look solid after her testimony. I don't think he will win because defamation is hard to prove but it's evident she is a pathological liar.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    The damages Amber Heard has done to real victims of domestic abuse is incalculable
    Undoubtedly. It's pretty wild that we went from "believe all victims" to "no not like that" in such a short period of time. There is no doubt that JD has some serious issues, but I'm of the mind now that AH managed to surpass him on the psychopath scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    Also, while this case is about “abuse” in the broader term, the UK trial wws specifically about the term “wife beater” which does refer to hitting.
    Which has basically been substantiated in both cases so far.
    NED was only referring to what been admitted to by Depps team.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    Sounds like a confused mess. It's awfully dismissive to believe any gamers interest in social issues is related to this though.
    It didn't help that Zoe Quin, Anita Sarkeesian, and Brianna Wu are certifiably insane. So even if they were in the right people dismissed them out of hand.

Like they're actually batshit crazy

15+ Year Old Account
    AH's legal team can't be serious.

So, JD's lawyer tweeting had more influence on AH's career than AH's OP-ED about JD abusing her?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Diaphin View Post
    I always thought Gamergate was all about Beta and Omega Males being outraged at women not dating them?
    It wasn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    The use of the word "journo" alone would tell you're not a neutral observer.
    Of all things, this is what you hang up on?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh shit. We are back to 2012

Gamergate was prob when internet culture really clashed with the real world and people. Its a shame it basically became a funnel for gamers to say the n word a bunch of years later
    I guess? I dunno? Maybe?

It's almost as if it was a decentralized movement and anyone could inject whatever whenever they wanted into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    It's clear when two addicts get together there's going to be abuse but she accused him of specific physical abuse which don't look solid after her testimony. I don't think he will win because defamation is hard to prove but it's evident she is a pathological liar.
    I was in that boat as well when it comes to defamation. But then Heards agent came on and talked about how evident it was that productions didn't want to have anything to do with Amber due to allegations and all of these rumours leaking out and such.
    They attacked Depps agents that they were doing just that. Speculating and don't have anything concrete to point towards but they said the same. It's clear that fewer agencies didn't want to have anything to do with him because of allegations.

I found that witness to be very odd, not sure how they couldn't see that it would bring down their own points against Depps agents. So now the defendants team have showed that it's perfectly viable to assume the lack of jobs is due to harsh allegations. It bolsters Depps claims.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    AH's legal team can't be serious.

So, JD's lawyer tweeting had more influence on AH's career than AH's OP-ED about JD abusing her?
    Yeah, I don't fucking get this... as I said above, how could they NOT see this would damage their own arguments?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Diaphin View Post
    I always thought Gamergate was all about Beta and Omega Males being outraged at women not dating them?
    Usually most issues are more nuanced. Afaik it was a small thing between some gamers (who might fit that description) and a developer and then a journalist decided to write articles about how all gamers are sexist and then of course normal people got confused why they suddenly would be branded as misogynists for being a gamer so they started to defend themselves and attack journalists for those claims. So then more articles came up about how toxic gamers are in general. Which just resulted in them being further branded as X. Which dragged more people into it and then more journalists etc etc...
    From a relatively small thing between a couple of nobodies it turned into a gamer vs journalist thing.

It's basically the same problem that usually arise nowadays... doing sweeping statements for an entire group of people and then act surprised that people defend themselves from that.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    I was in that boat as well when it comes to defamation. But then Heards agent came on and talked about how evident it was that productions didn't want to have anything to do with Amber due to allegations and all of these rumours leaking out and such.
    They attacked Depps agents that they were doing just that. Speculating and don't have anything concrete to point towards but they said the same. It's clear that fewer agencies didn't want to have anything to do with him because of allegations.

I found that witness to be very odd, not sure how they couldn't see that it would bring down their own points against Depps agents. So now the defendants team have showed that it's perfectly viable to assume the lack of jobs is due to harsh allegations. It bolsters Depps claims.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I don't fucking get this... as I said above, how could they NOT see this would damage their own arguments?
    If she didnt defame him, then the harm done to Johnny is self inflicted. If she did, then shes liable.
    The same works in reverse for her lawsuit.

If Amber lost work because of Johnny defaming her, that doesnt bolster Johnnys suit if he wasnt defamed. And the same works in reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Undoubtedly. It's pretty wild that we went from "believe all victims" to "no not like that" in such a short period of time. There is no doubt that JD has some serious issues, but I'm of the mind now that AH managed to surpass him on the psychopath scale.
    "Believe all victims" have been interpreted so wrongly or advertised horribly...
    When it comes to crimes.. believe everybody in the sense that you take it seriously, but don't trust anyone for telling the complete truth.
    The fact that there are people who yell victim blaming as soon as people ask question is just disgusting.

hopefully this case will steer the behavior in the right direction, but I have little faith that will happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    If she didnt defame him, then the harm done to Johnny is self inflicted. If she did, then shes liable.
    The same works in reverse for her lawsuit.

If Amber lost work because of Johnny defaming her, that doesnt bolster Johnnys suit if he wasnt defamed. And the same works in reverse.
    It wasn't Depp though, it was some other guy who tweeted... + Depp isn't in court for defamation. Also, defamation requires it to be a lie.
    So if Depp proves she abused him and she have lied. It's not defamation.

I'm not even sure why that witness got brought up... seems like it has nothing to do with it except weaken their own arguments.
    Amber is suing for nuisance damages, not defamation. But I'm not from the US or natively english, so maybe defamation falls into nuisance. Thought that would be damages for going through this ordeal.

I guess now that I think of it, her losing jobs because of him doing all of this might fall into nuisance damages? Not sure tbh. Might explain why they don't sue for defamation.

EDIT: This kind of turned into a thinking out loud post... cba fixing it though.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2022-05-20 at 04:39 PM.

Depp isn't in court for defamation
    Yes he is. Shes counter suing for damages, including defamation.

Yes he is. Shes counter suing for damages, including defamation.
    Aight, I take your word for it. Explains the witness at least. But still, using the same arguments that the lawyers said weren't good enough for the other party seems like a strange tactic.

Aight, I take your word for it. Explains the witness at least. But still, using the same arguments that the lawyers said weren't good enough for the other party seems like a strange tactic.
    Theres no question they both lost out because of this drama. I dont think anyone is questioning that. Maybe extents? The case boils down to whos at fault and if defamation 8s the cause for the losses.

Why does anyone think either one of them will, or should, win either case? They're both kinda garbage people that were awful to each other.

Theres no question they both lost out because of this drama. I dont think anyone is questioning that. Maybe extents? The case boils down to whos at fault and if defamation 8s the cause for the losses.
    Defendant team is indeed arguing her allegations made NO damages whatsoever and everything is attributed to Depps actions alone. And when his agents and others said the same thing their witness did they said it wasn't substantial or could be proved beyond correlation. Hence my confusion with their witness making the same arguments as they did and that proves Depps claims hurt her.

You see what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    You see exactly why in this very thread when people say things like "Amber stans," and "Team Amber/Johnny."
    Those people is me! I say those things!

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Its all pretty disturbing, imo.
    I guess, I'm just sad that everything is so bloody polarized for no reason. Stanning for either is dumb, they're rich assholes and don't care about us (in the abstract).

This ain't some "enlightened centrism"-esque bullshit, more like...we really need to stop caring so much about rich people and projecting our opinions on broader cultural topic onto what is a fairly petty and pointless lawsuit that seems to only exist for our entertainment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Those people is me! I say those things!

I guess, I'm just sad that everything is so bloody polarized for no reason. Stanning for either is dumb, they're rich assholes and don't care about us (in the abstract).

This ain't some "enlightened centrism"-esque bullshit, more like...we really need to stop caring so much about rich people and projecting our opinions on broader cultural topic onto what is a fairly petty and pointless lawsuit that seems to only exist for our entertainment.
    It is bullshit centrism. Your position rests on ignoring the accounts of rape and equating any level of violence with abuse.
    You guys are patting your shoulders for deliberately ignoring the power imbalance that distinguishes domestic abuse and rape.

You're the top contributor in the GamerGate thread. Was that just curating the thread? Or posting to stir the pot and maximize clicks?

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    It is bullshit centrism. Your position rests on ignoring the accounts of rape and equating any level of violence with abuse.
    You guys are patting your shoulders for deliberately ignoring the power imbalance that distinguishes domestic abuse and rape.
    Was there actual rape? Again, I haven't followed this all super closely and am mostly just eating popcorn while the two reveal themselves to be genuinely awful human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    You're the top contributor in the GamerGate thread. Was that just curating the thread? Or posting to stir the pot and maximize clicks?
    Oh man...you really don't want to go down that path because not only is it grossly off-topic, but it'll make you look really, really, really, really silly. Maybe re-read the thread rather than trying some extremely low-effort guilt-by-association, especially since you should very well know my political leanings by now.

This is embarrassing, for you.