Page 1 of 84
... LastLast

Johnny Depp's Defamation Suit

I'm seeing a lot of people defending Johnny Depp and maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not seeing a lot to defend.

The claim is that Amber Heard's article in 2018, was defaming with malicious intent, costing Depp hundreds of millions of dollars in prospective movie deals.

Here's Heard's article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...c36_story.html

Depp has already sued a UK paper, the Sun, for libel and lost. In the Sun's article and headline, they directly call Depp a "wife beater", though I cant seem to track that original article down. If someone finds it, I can add it to this post. https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...leged-assaults

In the UK trial for libel, the judge found: Of the 14 alleged assaults heard in open court – all of which have been denied by Depp – he found that 12 of them were proved on the balance of probability.

Now he's in US court, suing for defamation, which has a higher burden of proof than a libel suit. The article that Heard wrote, doesn't mention Depp by name, so how can he expect to win a defamation case, if he can't win a libel case?

This feels like a circus show... I'm curious to hear what you guys think.
    Last edited by Daymanmb; 2022-04-25 at 06:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just GamerGaters looking for a cause to latch onto some 7 years later.

Johhny Depp fans are as bad as JK Rowling fans these days.

I wonder if you buy them at the same botnet service?

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post

Proud JK Rowling fan <3

It has a ton of supporters both men and women but its kinda weird given Johnny Depp's past history. I am staying away from the entire scandal tho and waiting for the results when it comes

Its kind of uncomfortable to accuse someone of lying of their abuse without like rock solid evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post

Ive been following some of the case on youtube at the Law&Crime Network. I cant vouch for this channel as a good channel, but theyre posting some good, raw coverage without any commentary. The comments though are thick with Depp supporters for as long as you care to scroll through them. I get the feeling that bots might be involved too. Idk...

Take this video for instance:

Paints Depp really badly, but supporters in the comment section is thick. Depp might even say thicker than Amber..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    Its kind of uncomfortable to accuse someone of lying of their abuse without like rock solid evidence.
    But this isnt a criminal case. Civil cases require less burden of proof. Youre basically waiting for evidence that no one has to present in order to win.
    Last edited by Daymanmb; 2022-04-25 at 06:10 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can't we just agree that they're both shitty people and move on from celebrity gossip?

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    Can't we just agree that they're both shitty people and move on from celebrity gossip?
    This isnt gossip, its a court trial... youre free to not participate /shrug

I think its more she clearly abused him, and admitted to hitting him on tape. Even taunted him to tell the world and see who believes him. Then played the victim later. He was punished for that while Heard went on to make Aquaman 2. I don't think Depp will win the defamation case but I think the whole point is to get his story out and save his career.

Thought this was about the...defecation suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I think its more she clearly abused him, and admitted to hitting him on tape. Even taunted him to tell the world and see who believes him. Then played the victim later. He was punished for that while Heard went on to make Aquaman 2. I don't think Depp will win the defamation case but I think the whole point is to get his story out and save his career.
    So you think the UK court got it wrong?

the UK court case was a circus show, THIS one is actually looking at the evidence put forward. and, boy is it not looking good for Heard, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    the UK court case was a circus show, THIS one is actually looking at the evidence put forward. and, boy is it not looking good for Heard, at all.
    So not only did the UK court fail, their appeals court failed too? Interesting take. Why do you think the UK courts failed?

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    So not only did the UK court fail, their appeals court failed too? Interesting take
    I mean, I've heard the tapes, I've seen the messages, Heard's abusiveness is pretty obvious.

I mean, I've heard the tapes, I've seen the messages, Heard's abusiveness is pretty obvious.
    I mean, I've heard the tapes too, I've seen the messages too, Depp's abusiveness is pretty obvious.

Ive been following some of the case on youtube at the Law&Crime Network. I cant vouch for this channel as a good channel, but theyre posting some good, raw coverage without any commentary. The comments though are thick with Depp supporters for as long as you care to scroll through them. I get the feeling that bots might be involved too. Idk...

Take this video for instance:

Paints Depp really badly, but supporters in the comment section is thick. Depp might even say thicker than Amber..

- - - Updated - - -

But this isnt a criminal case. Civil cases require less burden of proof. Youre basically waiting for evidence that no one has to present to win.
    Isnt he accusing him of defamation? He should prove that he never abused him and that she knowingly lied

Isnt he accusing him of defamation? He should prove that he never abused him and that she knowingly lied
    Youre using a lot of pronouns without settling what theyre referring to and its confusing. He (Depp) is suing her (Heard) for defamation. Idk who the other he, or him is..

I mean, I've heard the tapes too, I've seen the messages too, Depp's abusiveness is pretty obvious.
    so, in that case you have to decide which one was the more abusive one, and in this case, the more malicious one was pretty clearly Heard. especially when it came to knowingly trying to tank Depp's career, Depp seems pretty content to just not have anything to do with her.

so, in that case you have to decide which one was the more abusive one, and in this case, the more malicious one was pretty clearly Heard. especially when it came to knowingly trying to tank Depp's career, Depp seems pretty content to just not have anything to do with her.
    Are you assuming she "knowingly tried to tank Depp's career", or do you have some evidence that would slam dunk this case that no one else seems to have?

Proud JK Rowling fan <3

It has a ton of supporters both men and women but its kinda weird given Johnny Depp's past history. I am staying away from the entire scandal tho and waiting for the results when it comes

Yeah I like Rowling, seems like a decent person. As for this trial, I haven't followed it closely but it seems like they've both been quite shitty to each other in various ways, although she seems a lot worse. My gut feeling is he'll lose. I wonder what he'll do then.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    - Admits to hitting him on tape
    - Shits on his bed
    - Throws a alcohol bottle at him, severing his finger
    - Records him at his lowest, then laughs and smiles at the end when he finds out.
    - Therapist admits she instigates fights

There’s a lot… and I think she’s a textbook narcissist. Hope Johnny can clear his name.
    the most absurd part is they say this part is in fact Depp's fault. he was the abusive one for having a bottle thrown at him. like, this is how the media portrayed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    - Admits to hitting him on tape
    - Shits on his bed
    - Records him at his lowest, then laughs and smiles at the end when he finds out.
    - Therapist admits she instigates fights

There’s a lot… and I think she’s a textbook narcissist. Hope Johnny can clear his name.
    Well, the UK court disagrees with you on a few main points:

- Shits on his bed
    13. Los Angeles, April 2016
    Heard claimed Depp had arrived late for her 30th birthday meal, drunk and on drugs. After her friends left, he threw a magnum champagne bottle at her, which missed, smashed glasses and grabbed her hair. The next day faeces was found on the couple’s bed.

The judge concluded Depp had “assaulted Ms Heard as he had done on previous occasions when he was stressed”.

Of Depp’s claim that Heard, or one of her friends, had deliberately defecated on the bed, the judge said it was “highly unlikely”

8. Australia March 2015
    Over three days in Australia filming Pirates of the Caribbean, Depp was said to have put Heard “in fear of her life”. Heard claimed he had assaulted her multiple times. He severed his fingertip and scrawled graffiti in his blood on the walls. The judge did not accept Heard had been responsible for the severed fingertip through throwing a vodka bottle at Depp. He accepted Heard had been the victim of “sustained and multiple assaults”.

- - - Updated - - -

the most absurd part is they say this part is in fact Depp's fault. he was the abusive one for having a bottle thrown at him. like, this is how the media portrayed that.
    No, theyre saying he made that story up. Mostly because it doesnt make sense and that Depp, on multiple occasions, claimed he accidently chopped his finger off. He claimed it in text and in voice recording with Amber.