1. #4001
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I think it has a lot to do with what you have on the line. It's true that some disagreement is simply a matter of having a different perspective and some is about much more than that.

    I appreciate most of your perspective on this issue, because even if I don't totally agree with you like anything or anyone. I do agree about the nonsense of hollow gestures leading to sanctimonious marketing schemes that are typically misguided at best and disingenuous at worst which only hurts not helps any cause.

    That said the Budweiser thing was just stupid ALL around and pretty much to me is am example of what I am talking about. FUCK Kid Rock, he's a racist, transphobic moron, who is a phony himself and makes shitty simple mindless music.

    But that said, what the FUCK was Budweiser thinking and what were they going to do, from a business standpoint?

    Like it or not how much of an impact do people who already don't buy their beer going to have, vs millions who drink that horse piss to begin with?


    Same with Target, wouldn't touch some issues like gay rights, but then saw the profit in it from a PR sense and decided to build on a brand until those on the Alt-Right lost their minds.


    Personally if you have to take the hit, take the Hit, Elon Musk is a prime example of this, but bottom line in the long run what does it all really mean?


    Business losing money, becomes less profitable, they won't be around long enough PUSH anything, or get behind any movement.


    And as for those Protesting, Unless those protesting are going to make certain sacrifices they are asking of others. Meaning protest products or services THEY ACTUALLY USE or NEED, then I am afraid the influence is going to be felt exactly the way it is now.

    Personally I always wanted to own an electric Vehicle, I just wanted to weight until the technology became more stable and has more range. But. NOW I hate Elon Musk, he is another transphobic, racist moron.

    Therefor the day of every purchasing a Tesla are GONE. Not much of a Sacrifice because at the same end I use IPhone, because they are the most reliable, and I need to have one for everything I do.

    My point over all being is that it's tough to hold the line between what you believe, and where you stand especially in terms of what you need. What sacrifices one is willing to make.

    But bottom line is I do get it, what you are saying. A Month for this, a day for that, boycott this, etc etc. Even if I don't totally agree, there does need to be more organization, less outrage, and more actually doing things that matter as opposed to playing into optics.

    As for the pile on any other bullshit you've been getting, FUCK THAT! At least you're honest enough to articulate YOUR OWN opinion despite the Elon Musk Meme LOL!
    Budweiser sent a few customized beer cans to someone, who showcased them as an advertisement.

    That's it. That's all they did. They probably expected some of the usual suspects would take offense at that but wrote it off as a negligible population. I mean, how many people will actually blow a gasket over a couple customized cans of beer that were a footnote in a massive company's marketing budget?

    Turns out, there's quite a few people who think that is awful and overly SJW and encourages grooming and not for display for their children and too political and whatnot. And that have several very public echo chambers, Twitter being the biggest now, to show just how embarassingly angry a couple cans of beer made them.

    It is not the fault of Bud or Target or whoever else if a couple pieces of merchandise are enough to send the alt-right and their grifters/cheerleaders like Musk into an absolute frenzy. Because as much as those people claim that they don't want to be shown things that are "political" (as in that they don't agree with, politics they agree with are always fine), they sure as fuck go out of their way to find them so they can complain about how much politics are shoved down their throats.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

    The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

  2. #4002
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ...location, location!
    Posts
    15,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Elon took 44 billion dollar hit for his stupidity. Not out of courage mind you but because he could afford to.
    It's kind of amazing when you think of it. Like, what could be done with 44 BILLION dollars? I'm pretty sure I could buy a small country, dramatically improve the infrastructure, invest in their education and economy, develop them to a higher level of sustainability, self-sufficiency, and get them into the global markets, and still have enough money left over to build an exorbitantly expensive and excessive super-mansion and fill it with enough hookers and drugs to last a lifetime. And that's after paying off all the debts of myself, my family, my friends, and their friends and family. It's such a mind-boggling amount of money, and it could've changed so many lives for the better, and he burned it on a pyre for the sake of his ego. What a pathetic little worm he is.

  3. #4003
    https://forward.com/opinion/549819/e...te-in-america/

    Fun op-ed on Forward, a Jewish-focused news outlet.

    Elon Musk is the most dangerous antisemite in America
    It's pretty extensively cited with examples throughout including this recent example of Elom again responding positively to someone making a "Comparison" between Biden and Mel Gibson, pretty explicitly repeating the whole "torturing kids for adrenochrome" thing for Biden and then explicitly implying that Gibson's antisemitism and hatred of Jews is why he's so strong.

    Reminder: Elom Musk, son to South African emerald mine owner who benefitted from apartheid Africa, is a deeply bigoted human being. Racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, antisemetic.

  4. #4004
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    79,814
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    Nah. People can slip in and out of ad hominem fluidly. Attack their argument, then attack the person making it, then back to attacking the argument.
    "Ad hominem" is not a synonym for "insult". It's only an ad hominem argument if the content of the insult is a premise that supports the claim being made. Insults added on top of a legitimate argument may be rude, but they do not lessen the argument itself. "Bob is a Nazi because he's got a swastika tattoo on his neck and Heils Hitler three times a day, he's such a fucking dingbat shithead" is in no way "ad hominem".

    For what it's worth, I'm referring to a post that questioned someone's support for their own daughter for a Pride month stance.If you really have to reach for justification to demean the parenting of someone's kids in your argument, maybe it's time to detach from whatever issue caused you to do that.
    That's not ad hominem. That's the conclusion.
    1> WB doesn't support Pride month.
    2> People who don't support Pride are homophobic to at least some extent.
    3> WB has a gay daughter.

    Ergo, WB doesn't fully support her daughter for who she is. I'm taking all this presuming the bit about the gay daughter is correct, mind you; I can't be arsed to check post history to confirm. But the first and second statements are just facts, and the conclusion comes from those three premises logically.

    Maybe that means WB should reconsider their positions now that they've been exposed as being, at best, irrational, rather than taking it as an insult and doubling down on hate.

    Maternal care of a daughter is a personal attack and an excellent example of ad hominem in the style of "I don't like your stance on Pride month, so I'm going to attack the raising of your daughter."
    You can stuff the weird patronizing misogyny of suggesting a mother's care for their kids is any more valuable or strong than a father's, thanks.

    And again; it wasn't "not liking her stance", it was "her stance denies the validity of what Pride stands for, which is relevant to her daughter's identity as a person".


  5. #4005
    Titan Lenonis's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    14,396
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    someone cannot be supportive of the message of Pride month while thinking it would be better off as a day or weekend or whatever.
    Correct. Someone isn't supportive of the message of pride month if they think it should be a day instead.

    Glad we are on the same page.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    If you really have to reach for justification to demean the parenting of someone's kids in your argument, maybe it's time to detach from whatever issue caused you to do that.
    Although I'd agree that was uncalled for - it isn't the stretch you are wanting to claim that someone who opposes Pride would not treat a LGBT child well. It happens incredibly often.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    My 13 year old daughter, for awhile, said she was gay, went back to being straight, said she was bi, and then decided she was straight again.
    Good lord your phrasing of this just shows how problematic your attitudes towards LGBT people are.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

  6. #4006
    Brewmaster Karreck's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Beneath you. Devouring.
    Posts
    1,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    My 13 year old daughter, for awhile, said she was gay, went back to being straight, said she was bi, and then decided she was straight again.
    Based on how hostile you have shown yourself to be regarding LGBTQ+ issues, I can guarantee that your kid is saying she is straight in order to keep your hate off her.
    Princesses can kill knights to rescue dragons.

  7. #4007
    Or, you know, someone is just making shit up.

  8. #4008
    Anti-sjw's for a long time now, have become worse the sjw's ever were.

    Conservatives have mastered the culture wars they always complained about.

    But that's what conservatives do. When the left do something they've always done, they give it a new name.

    When the dixie chicks said something they didn't like and burnt they're albums and denied them space, it was freedom of speech, not cancel culture. When the left does the same it becomes cancel culture.

    Just, fuck conservatives.
    Last edited by Strange One; 2023-06-08 at 10:33 PM.

  9. #4009
    Just to get back on track, sounds like Elon Musk wants to get rid of the Block Feature on Twitter.

    https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1666594707621773312

    The reason he wants to get rid of this is because people are blocking Andy Ngo, the dumbass moron that is literally a mouthpiece for fascists like the Patriot Prayer, Patriot Front and the Proud Bitches.

    He is trying to do it in response to this: https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status...59755052101634

    Oh, and the fact that Alejandra is exposing that Andy Ngo hangs out with LITERAL FUCKING PEDOPHIILES.
    https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/...812101/photo/1
    This screenshot specifically shows why Elon Musk banned Chad Loder, because Loder called out Musk's pedophile friends since Musk is on Epstein's list.
    Last edited by postman1782; 2023-06-08 at 10:56 PM.

  10. #4010
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Just to get back on track, sounds like Elon Musk wants to get rid of the Block Feature on Twitter.
    rofl, so literal forced speech for the folks elom likes

  11. #4011
    Herald of the Titans D Luniz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Coastal Plaguelands
    Posts
    2,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange One View Post
    Anti-sjw's for a long time now, have become worse the sjw's ever were.

    Conservatives have mastered the culture wars they always complained about.

    But that's what conservatives do. When the left do something they've always done, they give it a new name.

    When the dixie chicks said something they didn't like and burnt they're albums and denied them space, it was freedom of speech, not cancel culture. When the left does the same it becomes cancel culture.

    Just, fuck conservatives.
    funny part, the dixie chicks were technically critizing the government, the HEART of what Freedom of Speech is for
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

  12. #4012
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    rofl, so literal forced speech for the folks elom likes
    Absolutely, its the fascist way. He said he wanted free speech, except he hasn't done anything to actually promote that since taking over. He has banned specific people like Chad Loder and the kid that was tracking his plane with public information, and I wouldn't doubt countless others.

    Basically, he is making it a safe haven for Nazis.

  13. #4013
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Absolutely, its the fascist way. He said he wanted free speech, except he hasn't done anything to actually promote that since taking over. He has banned specific people like Chad Loder and the kid that was tracking his plane with public information, and I wouldn't doubt countless others.

    Basically, he is making it a safe haven for Nazis.
    Didn't he restrict tweets in Turkey because that was the only way to keep it operational under new censorship rules?

    I think someone even pointed out to him that that's not a very Freeze Peach Absolute Vodka move on his part and he was crying that like, he has to run a platform so he has to compromise his Absolute Freeze Peach Vodka sometimes?

  14. #4014
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    funny part, the dixie chicks were technically critizing the government, the HEART of what Freedom of Speech is for
    It's parody at this point, conservatives don't give a fuck about freedom of speech. They want freedom from criticism.

    Look at @tehdang, he/she blocks anyone he doesn't like. Literally censoring them, because he/she doesn't want to see opinions he/she doesn't like but when a private company, much like he/she is a private citizen does the same, it's censorship.

    Being a conservative means being a hypocrite.
    Last edited by Strange One; 2023-06-08 at 11:05 PM.

  15. #4015
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Didn't he restrict tweets in Turkey because that was the only way to keep it operational under new censorship rules?

    I think someone even pointed out to him that that's not a very Freeze Peach Absolute Vodka move on his part and he was crying that like, he has to run a platform so he has to compromise his Absolute Freeze Peach Vodka sometimes?
    He's about to be fined into oblivion in the EU as well simply because he fired his Disinformation fighting team. If he isn't fined in the EU, he is about to be shut down there permanently because he won't follow the DSA, the Digital Services act, which goes into effect in August.
    https://www.businesstoday.in/technol...210-2023-05-29

    If he does that, he loses literally 10s of millions of users, and he will lose even more of his dwindling value of Twitter.

  16. #4016
    Herald of the Titans tehdang's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange One View Post
    Look at @tehdang, he/she blocks anyone he doesn't like. Literally censoring them, because he doesn't want to see opinions he doesn't like but when a private company, much like he/she is a private citizen does the same, it's censorship.
    An ignore list "literally censor[s] them?" I'm afraid you're confusing the bans of the mods with what private users may do. Everyone can read posts that some user or another ignores, and people that ignore me do not censor my speech from others that view it. In fact, I recommend to others to ignore my posts if you cannot engage with them in good faith, or seek to make the discussion about posters as personalities. I won't take it as personal dislike in any case.

    I use the mentioned forum feature to screen out some of the inveterate bad faith posters, ad hominem posters, and trolls, but I can't say it has anything to do with liking anyone. You're not the sum total of how you act on anonymous internet forums. The incivility and personal attacks, or accusations, or trolling insincerity just gets in the way of having a sincere debate or productive discussion. Not really any knock on anyone, since there is a certain freedom in how you engage on the internet, within the rules of whoever's hosting. Some people of my political persuasion might actually prefer and like engaging in that way on equal terms, just not me. I'm sure of some very nice people around here that I'd genuinely enjoy spending time with, but that the internet makes them imagine fellow posters as Russian trolls just repeating the talking points on a sheet and act like that's the case.
    Last edited by tehdang; 2023-06-08 at 11:46 PM.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

  17. #4017
    Elemental Lord unfilteredJW's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    8,939
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    An ignore list "literally censor[s] them?" I'm afraid you're confusing the bans of the mods with what private users may do. Everyone can read posts that some user or another ignores, and people that ignore me do not censor my speech from others that view it. In fact, I recommend to others to ignore my posts if you cannot engage with them in good faith, or seek to make the discussion about posters as personalities. I won't take it as personal dislike in any case.

    I use the mentioned forum feature to screen out some of the inveterate bad faith posters, ad hominem posters, and trolls, but I can't say it has anything to do with liking anyone. You're not the sum total of how you act on anonymous internet forums. The incivility and personal attacks, or accusations, or trolling insincerity just gets in the way of having a sincere debate or productive discussion. Not really any knock on anyone, since there is a certain freedom in how you engage on the internet, within the rules of whoever's hosting. I'm sure of some very nice people around here that I'd genuinely enjoy spending time with, but that the internet makes them imagine fellow posters as Russian trolls just repeating the talking points on a sheet and act like that's the case.
    Pretty sure this bro has Endus on ignore so this is all a lie.

    Snowflake just got tired of being dunked on.
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    Their enemies are busy labeling people "shitheads," dodging all the tough arguments (to the extent they acknowledge contrary arguments existing), and going over all the prejudices that make them believe they're arguing with bad people.
    "Dodge tough questions" types the poster with people on ignore who he couldn't handle the tough questions of.

  18. #4018
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    An ignore list "literally censor[s] them?" I'm afraid you're confusing the bans of the mods with what private users may do. Everyone can read posts that some user or another ignores, and people that ignore me do not censor my speech from others that view it. In fact, I recommend to others to ignore my posts if you cannot engage with them in good faith, or seek to make the discussion about posters as personalities. I won't take it as personal dislike in any case.

    I use the mentioned forum feature to screen out some of the inveterate bad faith posters, ad hominem posters, and trolls, but I can't say it has anything to do with liking anyone. You're not the sum total of how you act on anonymous internet forums. The incivility and personal attacks, or accusations, or trolling insincerity just gets in the way of having a sincere debate or productive discussion. Not really any knock on anyone, since there is a certain freedom in how you engage on the internet, within the rules of whoever's hosting. Some people of my political persuasion might actually prefer and like engaging in that way on equal terms, just not me. I'm sure of some very nice people around here that I'd genuinely enjoy spending time with, but that the internet makes them imagine fellow posters as Russian trolls just repeating the talking points on a sheet and act like that's the case.
    Thank you for responding to this post.

    However, this user doesn't respond to sexual abuse supporters.

    Have a nice day.
    Last edited by Strange One; 2023-06-08 at 11:49 PM.

  19. #4019
    Over 9000! ringpriest's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Silk Road
    Posts
    9,470
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Just to get back on track, sounds like Elon Musk wants to get rid of the Block Feature on Twitter.

    https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1666594707621773312

    The reason he wants to get rid of this is because people are blocking Andy Ngo, the dumbass moron that is literally a mouthpiece for fascists like the Patriot Prayer, Patriot Front and the Proud Bitches.

    He is trying to do it in response to this: https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status...59755052101634

    Oh, and the fact that Alejandra is exposing that Andy Ngo hangs out with LITERAL FUCKING PEDOPHIILES.
    https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/...812101/photo/1
    This screenshot specifically shows why Elon Musk banned Chad Loder, because Loder called out Musk's pedophile friends since Musk is on Epstein's list.
    As has been said for a while, the right has no problem with censorship, they just demand that they (and only they) are entitled to an audience.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

  20. #4020
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    As has been said for a while, the right has no problem with censorship, they just demand that they (and only they) are entitled to an audience.
    With no criticism, coz telling them they're wrong infringes on their speech.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •