Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I mean... everyone should have seen that one coming the moment Elon embraced conspiracy theories.

The whole reason Facebook, Twitter, ect started cracking down on disinformation themselves was to head off governments forcibly imposing it on them.
    I saw it coming when the rule against spreading disinformation got nuked. Then again: the performative party switch (I doubt he was ever actually voting Democratic in the face of his being chummy with Greg Abbott, and his pretense that it was about "love and tolerance" versus "hate and division" was self-evident bullshit) made it clear that he was not someone who should be in charge of a major social media platform...and that was before he bought out Twitter.

So between that, and the vaunted Twitter Files showing that it was right-wing outlets that were receiving overly lenient treatment and trying to control the narrative? Too bad that's not when his current string of ruined business relationships started.

10+ Year Old Account
    Judge rules Twitter breached contract by blocking millions of pay bonuses

The company promised employees half of their potential bonuses both before and after tech billionaire Elon Musk purchased the company in 2022, but never paid, according to the suit.

Mark Schobinger, then the company’s senior director of compensation, brought the lawsuit against the social media platform in June.

“Once Schobinger did what Twitter asked, Twitter’s offer to pay him a bonus in return became a binding contract under California law,” District Judge Vince Chhabria wrote in the opinion.

“And by allegedly refusing to pay Schobinger his promised bonus, Twitter violated that contract,” he added.

The company argued that the bonus agreement was merely an oral promise and should not have to be paid per Texas law.

Chhabria, instead, held the company to California law, which establishes that the agreement was legally binding.

“Twitter’s contrary arguments all fail,” Chhabria wrote.
    Musk has really proven to be a chain failure, hasn't he? But it's one thing to simply invite racists and terrorists back on the site. That's just immoral, but not illegal. Breaching contracts is a far more tangible matter. I do hope that the workers Musk intentionally wronged get what they're legally obligated, and a little more for their troubles.

10+ Year Old Account
    So today just REALLY hurt Musk's case

This is Twitter's trending on Christmas day, 14:38 Central Standard

Things like that aint what you want when you have a defamation case coming up where you're claiming people are faking the amount of racism on your platform.
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    Things like that aint what you want when you have a defamation case coming up
    Nate...higgers.

(sighs)

You know, I'm thinking of starting a pool here. At some point, merely quoting and citing Twitter will get one of us banned.

Not even being subtle about their racism

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Nate...higgers.

(sighs)

You know, I'm thinking of starting a pool here. At some point, merely quoting and citing Twitter will get one of us banned.
    thats why I didnt post a screen of the posts the hashtag is part of.
    Despite it being news and the thread topic, I cant still see that it's to likely it crosses a line.

That said, a third of the posts are just racists being racist. A third are the "WTF" type posts, and the remaining are people calling it out so no one can try and skate with the "its just jokes" bs cause then they come back and try to justify it
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Quote Originally Posted by Odinfrost View Post
    Why do you hate free speech?

/s

Slightly off topic, but still somewhat relevant: Musk's Hyperloop project finally pulling the plug after half a billion dollars in investment over it's lifespan results in jack squat to show for it:
    https://www.theverge.com/2023/12/21/...sing-elon-musk

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Slightly off topic, but still somewhat relevant: Musk's Hyperloop project finally pulling the plug after half a billion dollars in investment over it's lifespan results in jack squat to show for it:
    Incorrect. It accomplished its goal of siphoning funding from and fucking over plans for improved mass-transit systems for at least a couple decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    https://www.theverge.com/2023/12/21/...sing-elon-musk
    Ah, yes, expected by most as seen in:
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...he-Smithsonian (The Hyperloop company that shut down, Hyperloop One, was formerly Virgin Hyperloop.)
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...nts-the-tunnel

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odinfrost View Post
    Something something freeze peach

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Something something freeze peach
    But remember one rule for you, and another rule me:
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/scien...p-tesla-critic
    https://s3.documentcloud.org/documen...nlrb-tesla.pdf

https://twitter.com/EN_NERV/status/1741752434635186344

Know what's great to have happen during a natural disaster? Have one of the larger social media platforms rate-limit an account providing real-time disaster updates because it's only paying $100/month for API access and not $5K/month for API access.

I wonder if they'll be able to tie any deaths back to Elom's policy decisions with Twitter. Who ever could have imagined running a social media platform might be hard and complicated?! Maybe that's what all those losers he fired were there to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Know what's great to have happen during a natural disaster? Have one of the larger social media platforms rate-limit an account providing real-time disaster updates because it's only paying $100/month for API access and not $5K/month for API access.

I wonder if they'll be able to tie any deaths back to Elom's policy decisions with Twitter. Who ever could have imagined running a social media platform might be hard and complicated?! Maybe that's what all those losers he fired were there to do?
    One can also question the idea of using a company to provide essential information for a natural disaster, especially without a contract for it.

Hopefully more government will take note and find a better way of providing such information, without relying on a Lone Skum.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    One can also question the idea of using a company to provide essential information for a natural disaster, especially without a contract for it.

Hopefully more government will take note and find a better way of providing such information, without relying on a Lone Skum.
    Very much this. Allowing a few individuals to have a stranglehold on communication is simply inane.

10+ Year Old Account

Can we just take an aside here to discuss that they're named NERV.

Where are my Evangelions, this is the absolute worst timeline.
    Last edited by Belize; 2024-01-02 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post

They do have/use better ways. Japan's Early Warning system is actually pretty well done as far as I'm aware. Twitter was just one of many avenues they used and given the nature of an emergency it's ideal to hit every single place you can.

While I agree Japan probably should have just paid the higher fee given the number of Twitter users they have it's still good to highlight the issues Elon has intentionally cause basically for no one's benefit even his own pockets. And like I said their public systems are good enough that this really still reflects wore on "X" rather than Japan's government.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Very much this. Allowing a few individuals to have a stranglehold on communication is simply inane.
    They don't. Twitter isn't the only place NERV announces shit. They have a presence across multiple forms of media. Twitter was just one way to alert a lot of folks, not their sole or primary line of communication. This is more another example of Musk being an absolute shithead and not so much NERV being irresponsible.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...alls-elon-musk

The overvalued company that Elom paid even more for is worth 71% of the $44B he spent on it according to Fidelity. That brings the $44B investment he raised down to a value of around $12.5B.

Really, I don't think anyone in this thread could accomplish these kinds of returns on investment so far. We could all forget that we raised the funds to purchase a company and would probably be doing better letting the folks in charge continue to run things.

That brings the $44B investment he raised down to a value of around $12.5B.
    I'm honestly astonished it's valued even that high.