Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Blizzard says that Dracthyr Evoker COULD get a third spec, but it won't be a tank....

So what else could their third spec be?

My suggestion;

A ranged Earth/Magma based spec with a few hints of Void corruption;

Utilizing Deathwing's offensive abilities from HotS that offers two sets of abilities depending on what form you're in;

Destroyer provides the most damage and mobility, making Deathwing a flexible brawler. This form is best suited for dueling heroes and chasing.
    World Breaker has more range and utility, providing a lot of CC and area denial. This form is best suited for engaging fights, poking, and setting up allies.
    https://heroesofthestorm.fandom.com/wiki/Deathwing

What do you think the third spec could/should be?

Honestly, I'd be up for going deeper towards corruption and tapping into "forbidden" dragonflight powers somehow, like Twilight Shadowflame and Infinite time magic used offensively, but that's a heck of a pipe dream.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just my 2 cents here but I think Ion excuse is not valid at all.

The earthwarden, which has a shield dedicated as in his namesake. That has giant metal plates grafted into his flesh. That harnesses the very power of the earth, one that shamans actually used to pseudo tank. Cannot create dracthyr that are a bit tanky? WHILE THEY HAVE SCALES THAT DRAGONS HAVE? The same scales that make great armor? This is lame, they lost a great opportunity to give us a tank that uses the power of the earth that shamans once had.

That being said, I can see his next spec being something of a red mage like in FFXIV, jumping into the action, mabing using ranged attack to heat up his claw and then jumping into melee to attack them until they cool off and have to return to ranged and repeat the process. It could be pretty cool.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Nice it's a int class a second healing or second caster spec are the only options

Herald of the Titans Nightshade711's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    Don’t see it working.
    They said it won’t be a tank so that only leaves ranged. And we already have a magma/earth based ranged DPS.

Void corruption would be weird esp with the whole Wrathion/Ebonhorn arc which they’ll probably continue in DF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Chen isn't a Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    Just my 2 cents here but I think Ion excuse is not valid at all.

The earthwarden, which has a shield dedicated as in his namesake. That has giant metal plates grafted into his flesh. That harnesses the very power of the earth, one that shamans actually used to pseudo tank. Cannot create dracthyr that are a bit tanky? WHILE THEY HAVE SCALES THAT DRAGONS HAVE? The same scales that make great armor? This is lame, they lost a great opportunity to give us a tank that uses the power of the earth that shamans once had.

That being said, I can see his next spec being something of a red mage like in FFXIV, jumping into the action, mabing using ranged attack to heat up his claw and then jumping into melee to attack them until they cool off and have to return to ranged and repeat the process. It could be pretty cool.
    Those giant metal plates grafted into his flesh were keeping him together. They could be defensive but he was literally falling apart without them. I could still see a 3rd spec being Black (dragonflight) themed and I agree a red mage-esque playstyle would be cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    Something like Demonology Warlock spec from WoD? Like you're in standard Dracthyr form, and when you go into "heat up" mode you turn into a more beastial draconic form (something like the Wrathion art in the OP with magma dripping everywhere) and fight in melee?

That would be pretty cool.

Something like Demonology Warlock spec from WoD? Like you're in standard Dracthyr form, and when you go into "heat up" mode you turn into a more beastial draconic form (something like the Wrathion art in the OP with magma dripping everywhere) and fight in melee?

That would be pretty cool.
    Kinda, if you've ever seen how XIV handles red mage, they spend most of combat away from the enemy bombarding them with Black and White spells, balancing a resource gauge, when that gauge is high enough, they can then dive in for melee, they can deliver a 3 hit combo that does high damage, then they can leap away (or leap in place for off-GCD damage) and do another 3 hit "finisher" combo of charged spells for extreme damage.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and go whacky.

Summoner spec.

Literally use the Dragon Mount you customize in Dragonflight as a tool of destruction. It doesn't have to be present in all your abilities, but have it present when casting certain spells and calldowns.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would image it would go melee. It's weird something that has teeth and claws doesn't have at least one melee spec. Maybe even semi-ranged like Unholy is?

He did say they wanted to keep evokers ranged, so it should be a dot spec. Maybe a mix of green and black dots?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade711 View Post
    Don’t see it working.
    They said it won’t be a tank so that only leaves ranged. And we already have a magma/earth based ranged DPS.

Void corruption would be weird esp with the whole Wrathion/Ebonhorn arc which they’ll probably continue in DF.
    While Elemental Shaman do utilize some form of Magma and Earth magic, the Magma and Earth abilities from Deathwing HotS are very different.

For example, Deathwing has a powerful magma breath attack called Molten Flame, which would be a channeled ability in a wide cone. You could even use the empower system to control the spread and distance of it. Shaman have nothing like that.

There's also Cataclysm, an ability where Deathwing flies forward, opens his wings and burns everything in its path. It's similar to that Onyxia ability, just with a wider radius.

Then there's Lava Pool where he creates pools of lava near him that damage and slow targets. He can also summon fiery meteors down from the sky.

And he has an ability called Dragonflight where he flies into the air to heal himself, and he can land at a targeted area and cause damage.

So yeah there's a lot to work with. I can see it being a cool way to incorporate the Black Dragonflight more completely into the class.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Veluren View Post
    Kinda, if you've ever seen how XIV handles red mage, they spend most of combat away from the enemy bombarding them with Black and White spells, balancing a resource gauge, when that gauge is high enough, they can then dive in for melee, they can deliver a 3 hit combo that does high damage, then they can leap away (or leap in place for off-GCD damage) and do another 3 hit "finisher" combo of charged spells for extreme damage.
    That could work too. I definitely think they would have to make the Black Dragon spec a more sturdy type of caster.

I really don't get the argument of not giving Evokers a tank spec because "all the other new classes have one already." It's literally just giving players more options. It wouldn't take away from their DPS or healing spec. It just seems like laziness on their part

10+ Year Old Account
    Tbh, they argument about "there will be no tank spec because Evokers are spellcasters" is total bs.
    Blizz, you are developers! You set the rules! You decide what is mean to be a tank or spelcaster. Tank-spelcaster would be an original take on tanking role.
    Stop using artificial limits as excuses for lack of creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertoster View Post
    Tbh, they argument about "there will be no tank spec because Evokers are spellcasters" is total bs.
    Blizz, you are developers! You set the rules! You decide what is mean to be a tank or spelcaster. Tank-spelcaster would be an original take on tanking role.
    I think they did set the rule of wanting tanks to only be melee. They took it away from warlocks, shammys and such long ago. I don't get it either but it's what they want the game to have. I miss being a lock tank but moved on by finding other games that let me play what I enjoyed, perhaps you should to.
    Except it would only be "textbook" confirmation bias if I fully believed that a third spec was actually coming.

7+ Year Old Account
    Im ok with not being a tanker. Even if this is all lame and the class could have easily 4 specs.

Another DPS would make most sense, melee, putting claws and teeth at use, especially fi they are stupidly hellbent in not giving the race another class, people could at elast play a melee dps instead of ranged.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Supertoster View Post
    Yep, especially when they said gameplay>lore, and are not caring about lore for 4 expansions in a row, to suddenly say they care about lore is like a bad joke.

My suggestion;

Utilizing Deathwing's offensive abilities from HotS that offers two sets of abilities depending on what form you're in;

How about a spec using mortal weapons after witnessing their potential.

Like your azure spec concept.

Would finally give us a second class that uses ranged weapons.

So the way I see it is that preservation and devastation harness the raw power of the flights into focused magical attacks.

This possible spec would have evokers use mortal weapons as conduits to focus their magic through.

Think of it like a priest transitioning into a paladin.

My suggestion;

I agree with the earth bender type of spec and it’s funny I was literally thinking the exact same thing about it having some sort of void corruption style of abilities then I thought…. If neltharion made them then that would be pretty nutty that he had the ability to give them these abilities lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    The issue for me is, it kills the fantasy of a dragon knight. They are so dead set in there ways that they are alienating audience such as me. Why i am I even saying this? Well this is the dragon expansion. If dragon knights were going to come, it would be now. Instead of even going all out for a dragon class... they decided to limit themselves so damn hard.

Of the top of my head, this class could have been 4 different specs. Instead that said no, tanking or melee. Well that destroys the notion of dragon knights, since evoker is the dracthyr only class. Cant even do a warrior dragon.

I hate that they shot themselves in the foot

With all the requests for the option to use visage form in combat, a potential 3rd spec could be a ranged dps or healer spec that doesn't use any of the animations that require the dragon form allowing the player to remain in visage form full time in combat.