Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Who's the Mickey Mouse of anime?

Who's the Mickey Mouse of anime? A character who is synonymous with anime, and known even by people who don't watch anime?

Maybe Goku?

5+ Year Old Account
    never heard of goku, but i know there's a corgi in cowboy bebop

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    Who's the Mickey Mouse of anime? A character who is synonymous with anime, and known even by people who don't watch anime?

Maybe Goku?
    Pikachu

/10char
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Goku is from Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Dragonball GT, and Dragonball Super.

I agree with OP. Most people I discuss anime all know of Goku simply because Dragonball or Dragonball Z was their introduction to anime. Hell even the Dragonball Super finale had massive gatherings to watch the final episode (can Youtube to see it) with crowds chanting. The only other character I can think of would be Pikachu but that's it.

its goku or pikachu

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Pikachu

/10char
    Yeah, I'd say Pikachu. If I were to ask my father, he wouldn't know who or what Goku is, but I bet he would recognize Pikachu.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Either Pikachu or Goku

How is it possible to have never heard of Goku?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Forgottenone View Post
    Goku is from Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Dragonball GT, and Dragonball Super.

I agree with OP. Most people I discuss anime all know of Goku simply because Dragonball or Dragonball Z was their introduction to anime. Hell even the Dragonball Super finale had massive gatherings to watch the final episode (can Youtube to see it) with crowds chanting. The only other character I can think of would be Pikachu but that's it.
    Dragon Ball is so popular in Mexico that during the Tournament of Power arc, Goku vs. Jiren was being advertised like a boxing match, and the Mexican government hosted the event.

That's insane.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Dragon Ball is so popular in Mexico that during the Tournament of Power arc, Goku vs. Jiren was being advertised like a boxing match, and the Mexican government hosted the event.

That's insane.
    my first thought was Goku but I reckon a lot more people have watched/played Pokemon than have watched the Dragonball series. like millions more. so yeah would definitely be Pikachu as others have suggested

10+ Year Old Account

That's insane.
    I guess it might be a regional thing then, because I'm pretty sure we've never had anything like that. Goku is pretty much nowhere to be seen, but Pikachu is, or at least was, in many places. I don't remember seeing Dragon Ball on TV, ever, but Pokemon was a lot. And then there is also all the merchandise that featured Pokemon or more specifically, Pikachu. But never Dragon Ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Pikachu, for sure.

Goku may be synonymous for "anime" among anime fans, but EVERYBODY has seen, heard, or watched Pikachu in some way. Pikachu was a Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade balloon.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Pikachu, for sure.

Goku may be synonymous for "anime" among anime fans, but EVERYBODY has seen, heard, or watched Pikachu in some way. Pikachu was a Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade balloon.
    Goku was a Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade balloon too.

Goku was also the ambassador for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
    Last edited by CastletonSnob; 2022-04-29 at 01:30 AM.

There is none. Anime is too broad of a genre (more accurately: supergenre) for one character to be synonymous with all of it.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

5+ Year Old Account
    Gen X didn't grow up with anime? So no, never heard of goku, or whomever

But I do know who Pikachu is, because of all the memes

Pikachu. Pokemon is the biggest media franchise ever. Everyone knows it. They may not know what an anime is, but they will know pikachu as a cartoon on the level of bugs bunny renown.

10+ Year Old Account
    Goku was a Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade balloon too.
    https://macysthanksgiving.fandom.com/wiki/Pikachu

So was the Pika
    My youtube channels: Sath Reacts: TV & Movie Reactions, and Sath Animations: Stop motion/claymation animations

Quote Originally Posted by Derpules View Post
    That's what they were responding to, someone saying Pikachu was in the parade.

It's definitely Pikachu by a landslide. But it's a bit unfair since Pikachu has so many different media that's wildly popular, meanwhile Goku gets flops with even video games sometimes.

Also, to be more on the nose, both Pikachu and Mickey are mice.

Gen X didn't grow up with anime? So no, never heard of goku, or whomever

But I do know who Pikachu is, because of all the memes
    Older Gen X may not have...but younger Gen X totally did.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

I don't think Pikachu is accurate. Mickey Mouse is the face of Disney which has a ton of different films while the Pokemon Company really only has Pokemon. If I had to pick a Nintendo character for the Mickey Mouse of Anime I'd probably say Mario since he once had an anime and who the fuck really watches his shows anymore he's more of a mascot like Mickey. If you were asking who the Mickey Mouse of Gaming was then it would definitely be Mario imo.

Hello Kitty is probably the best Mickey Mouse I can think of offhand since Sanrio has many different films/shows.