Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I mean, I recognize the art style and if you showed me a character from DBZ I'd just guess that it's Goku, I'd have to be right eventually.
    This like people saying they wouldn't recognize Tanjiro from demon slayer or Midoriya from my hero academia today.

That shit is in stores, pop culture, tiktok, youtube ads. Shit is legit everywhere but I swear to god people are prolly gonna reply to this and be like..man I've never even heard of the concept of anime before.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised though the amount of knowledge retained by the average person is abysmally low.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    This like people saying they wouldn't recognize Tanjiro from demon slayer or Midoriya from my hero academia today.
    Don't confuse your tastes as universal. I for one don't know or care wtf you said above is.

10+ Year Old Account

That shit is in stores, pop culture, tiktok, youtube ads. Shit is legit everywhere but I swear to god people are prolly gonna reply to this and be like..man I've never even heard of the concept of anime before.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised though the amount of knowledge retained by the average person is abysmally low.
    I don't know those characters' names but I've heard of the shows.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account

I take it you are Anime fan? I'm not, and I have absolutely no idea who is Tanjiro or Midoriya. I think I might've heard of the name my hero academia, but that's it.

I find it to be rather perplexing that you seem to be personally offended by this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zankai27 View Post
    Goku, easy
    if anyone, it's Astro Boy.

And they wouldn't. I'm not sure how many people you think watch Anime, but it's an incredibly tiny amount compared to the population. And an even smaller portion of that actually watches the shows you mentioned. I watched the first season of My Hero Academia and nothing else, so no I wouldn't recognize whoever Tanjiro is.

It doesn't matter if it's in stores, pop culture etc. You get exposed to that and recognize it because you consume anime. Others don't. I've actually been to Japan Akihabara district 2 years ago, wanna know how much My Hero merch etc. you saw there? Almost fucking 0.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    if anyone, it's Astro Boy.
    Except Mickey Mouse is recognizable outside of the U.S. Astro Boy? Barely.

- - - Updated - - -

The answer is, objectively, Pikachu. There is literally no argument against it.
    In fact, Mickey Mouse is the Pikachu of Disney.

Besides the popularity of the brand and how many non-anime viewers know about it, he fits the "mascot" type much more than humanoid characters like Goku or Naruto.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    Goku was also the ambassador for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
    That's funny. When I was in Japan in March 2020, a bit before they cancelled the Olympics, there was literally 0 Olympics related Goku to be seen. You only saw Dragon Ball stuff in the normal expected places (figures in merch stores). I saw entire Olympics sections of stores that had 2 little mascots, but 0 Goku.

Goku was picked because he's the martial arts pop-culture character in Japan, not because he is actually the most popular anime character. Which is kinda weird since DB stopped being about martial arts a long time ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    Except Mickey Mouse is recognizable outside of the U.S. Astro Boy? Barely.
    Not true at all. Astro Boy has been around since the 1950's had multiple iterations over those years. The original series was popular here but more popular in Australia Canada and other Asian countries. While the 2000's series was popular in the UK and Europe. Astro Boy is the reason modern anime including Pokémon exists.
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2022-05-02 at 04:39 PM.

Not true at all. Astro Boy has been around since the 1950's had multiple iterations over those years. The original series was popular here but more popular in Australia Canada and other Asian countries. While the 2000's series was popular in the UK and Europe. Astro Boy is the reason modern anime including Pokémon exists.
    As a Canadian I have no idea who Astro Boy is.

Where I live anime and manga are not really a thing (yet). An average 30+ year old would have no clue what MHA or Demon Slayer is if you didn't tell them. And I doubt many younger people would either unless they're specifically anime watchers. There are like 3 series released in tankōbon format at a local super market, along with 10 meters of shelves of other published stuff (and these translated ones are years behind the Japanese version).

Manga/anime exposure is growing but it's slow.
    Last edited by Thes; 2022-05-02 at 04:56 PM.

Ok now call 100 random people above the age of 30 and ask them who Astro Boy is and who Pikachu is.
    And count how many immediately do the Pikachu noise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    But this wasn't the point of the OP.

He wanted to know what character is "known even by people who don't watch anime." Pikachu is the obvious answer, generally.
    He asked
    A character who is synonymous with anime, and known even by people who don't watch anime?
    Pikachu may be more well known due to being on more mediums but he doesn't fit the first part of the question.

He asked
    Pikachu may be more well known due to being on more mediums but he doesn't fit the first part of the question.
    Pikachu absolutely is synonymous with anime. Just because it was on American T.V. in your youth instead of shady backwater websites does not mean it isn't anime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Either Goku, Pikachu, or Astro Boy. Depends on the age of who you ask.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

3+ Year Old Account
    Who's the Mickey Mouse of anime? A character who is synonymous with anime, and known even by people who don't watch anime?

Maybe Goku?
    So there are several takes about the topic of this thread because of how OP has worded his post.

He asks "Who is the Mickey Mouse of Anime?" and "A character who is synonymous with anime, and known even by poeple who don't watch anime?"

I personally find it really hard to give a concrete answer for the entirety of this because you can tackle it more accurately if you divide it into two separate questions.
    "Who's the Mickey Mouse of Anime?" and "Who is the most well known anime character, being synonymous with anime and known to people who don't watch anime?"

I will give my own two cents on this separately to give a more concrete answer.

For the first question: "Who's the Mickey Mouse of anime?"

To this I'd prob. say it's Hello Kitty. This is because Mickey Mouse has become synonymous with Disney, the brand. Therefore what anime character would best fit this bill? To this I'd prob. say Hello Kitty.

For the second question: "Who is the most well known anime character, being synonymous with anime and known to people who don't watch anime?"

To this I'd prob. have to go with Pikachu. There are plenty of great answers already posted previously, like Doraemon and Astro Boy, but I feel Pikachu has landed the biggest splash across several decenniums compared to other anime characters.

Are we really going to argue anime isn't mainstream? I saw several anime shirts at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago, and I saw an entire store dedicated to anime at my local mall.

I'd say the majority of people know what anime is.

It's not about "retention". It's that people don't know what they don't know.

Let's take it away from anime for a second. Grey's Anatomy is a very popular show that's been going for 18 seasons. It's even had a couple of spinoffs. Yet, if you asked me to name a single character from the show...the best I could do is say something like "Dr. Grey" but I don't even know her first name... because I don't watch the show.

- - - Updated - - -

Are we really going to argue anime isn't mainstream? I saw several anime shirts at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago, and I saw an entire store dedicated to anime at my local mall.

I'd say the majority of people know what anime is.
    I know what Kpop is too. But show me a picture of any Kpop star and it's very unlikely I'll be able to tell you their name or what band they are in. There's a few bands i've heard of here and there... but I wouldn't be able to match their faces with their songs. I could maybe recognize Psy because of "Gangam style". Maybe Rain because of "Ninja Assassin" and because my sister was hugely into him for a few years.

Compare that with "Mickey Mouse". How many people would you have to talk to before you found a single person that said "I don't know who that is"
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2022-05-02 at 08:51 PM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    What did you do before modding? Man a radio relay station in Antarctica?
    Honestly. You would be surprised how many TV stations around the world believed it was a waste of money to invest in anime during the 80's, 90's and early 00's. I saw my first anime when I was like.. what.. 5? (1991) Because I found a Robotech VHS tape at the dump.. There were no anime on TV in my country until like, near the end of the 90's, and that was german channels that were running trial runs to see if it was worth investing in.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Who's the Mickey Mouse of anime? A character who is synonymous with anime, and known even by people who don't watch anime?

Maybe Goku?
    goku is only a shout for those who are already integrated into the anime community, for everyone else it's a pikachu situation, if you polled 1000 random people in the street with an image of each one and asked them to name them, i would say that 80% would guess pikachu whereas less than 40% would know who goku is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Honestly. You would be surprised how many TV stations around the world believed it was a waste of money to invest in anime during the 80's, 90's and early 00's. I saw my first anime when I was like.. what.. 5? (1991) Because I found a Robotech VHS tape at the dump.. There were no anime on TV in my country until like, near the end of the 90's, and that was german channels that were running trial runs to see if it was worth investing in.
    just to piggyback on this point, it wasn't until the early 2010's and pretty entirely due to Funimation that the 'west' started to really integrate anime as a mainstream option for dedicated channels on TV and dedicated section on streaming sites that were popping up around that time, if you wanted to watch anime back in the 90's, you had to know somebody who knew somebody who could get VHS tapes imported from japan, and there was never any subtitles in English, nevermind the other major languages of the world, while it's a lot more commonplace today, anime as a general form of media hasn't existed in the form it does today since around 2011/2012, so for sake of arguement you could say that mainstream anime is only around 10 years old at this point.

Gundam. I said it. I'll say it again. GUNDAAAAAAAAAAM!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    Gundam. I said it. I'll say it again. GUNDAAAAAAAAAAM!!!!
    White Devil!
    /s