Poll: what allied race combo preorder would be better

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    The thing is the gap between 'high effort put into an NPC' and 'made playable' is quite significant.

NPCs only need to support a handful of armor designs and Blizzard can call it a day. Most unique NPC races like Sethrak or Naga aren't built to support 100% of the gear in the game, like helmets, backpieces, tabards etc. To get all that working even for a simple humanoid like an Ogre is a lot of effort. Just the presence of a forehead horn means they have to modify all helmet proportions to make fit, or else deal with a horn that will ultimately poke through.

Or with a Sethrak or Naga, all they have to do is make one model and leave the rest to slight color variations and that's about it. With a playable race, people are gonna expect a wealth of customization options like different hairstyles, different face textures, horn option, etc etc.

So yeah, they can affort putting a lot of effort into NPCs, and even give them some customization options to boot. Or even give them custom animations, like Sethraks with crazy long tails. But taking that step to making them playable would still add on hundreds of additional of man hours making tweaks and adding customization options that is usually not worth the effort unless they had a real good reason to.

The last time we saw this was with Kul Tiran, where they didn't plan on them being playable but made a last minute to (because they felt it necessary to balance out addition of Zandalari on Horde) and it still took them months after BFA was released to be added.
    No I get what you're saying and I don't disagree with you here at all. In fact, I'm agreeing with you as you even label the Kul'tiran as a great example of Blizzard going 'Yeah, we should probably do this' despite it being very taxing. And they even weren't sure it'd work out in time, which is fair - but I feel like if given more time (As in, 1+ year in advance), as a prepared race then I don't think they'd mind as much. The Dracthyr are clearly something they chose not to include normal armor for - which seems to be more modern models and actual 3D sets to stand out against the textured robes WoW infamously has.

That said I will take credit away from Blizzard here. They made a slew of allied races which took up, arguably, a good chunk of man hours and split them across quite a few of them. Sure - the majority were reskins, but the few that weren't had other options explored. And I feel like Vulpera were one of those experiments! The head swap with a tail, mainly. That and to appeal to a certain crowd, potentially. Regardless.

Ogres definitely would require them to redo geosets or modify them to match their body type. Likely the latter, as it's easier to do than adding an entirely new model type exclusive to them (Akin to Tauren head pieces). Seems to me it'd be remodeling them and adding customization options with not copy pasted animations would take up a larger chunk of time than redoing current gear to their bodies.
    Last edited by PenguinChan; 2022-05-18 at 04:53 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Tuskar would be nice but prob some shit race will be like recolored NightElf ><

Quote Originally Posted by Short View Post
    sure i'll take Tuskar. would've settle for Tortolan as well but you didn't give that as an option.

besides that even if they would add another race. fat chance we'll even get to play it until they feel to many people have quit waiting for it to be released in the first place.
    like SOME troll race we know... *coughcoughzandalarycoughcough* i don't care that it was for "lore" reasons. lore has gone out the window the moment we killed Arthas on the Frozen Throne, so f that XD
    i agree that tortolan would be an INCREDIBLE addition to the game. unfortunately i don't see them with enough streanght to come out as a choice ;'(
    at this point i would take anything that's not an elf, but inside, i'm rooting for tortolan, murlocs or hozen \o

Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    Dracthyr are the prepurchase race.
    Most assuredly, but no one wants to hear it because of Reddit.

I don't think i can bother anymore if they throw another elf in our face in form of a half baked allied race with next to no story or some kind of retcon if they use Sanlayn for example....

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    I don't think i can bother anymore if they throw another elf in our face in form of a half baked allied race with next to no story or some kind of retcon if they use Sanlayn for example....
    Undead elves have been in the game since vanilla. Literally a faction leader.

Ever since I saw female satyr model from Warcraft III: Reforged (quality of the game notwithstanding), I've always wanted the satyr allied race. A perfect mix of draenei and elves.

After Legion I doubt they are going to do it, but hey, they use wierdest races in these expansions nowadays, so maybe one day.

My personal take is while id love Vrykul to be the key one I think likely it will be the Venthyr and Kyrians since they had the most connection with alotta players interest as being playable early shadowlands.

I could see it happening, Sylvaar and Necrolord Abominations might be a little less likely as they have very specific models that'd require alot of work to build on, but the Kyrians and Venthyr defo could happen giving the alliance Kyrians and the Horde Venthyr.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonitar View Post
    Ever since I saw female satyr model from Warcraft III: Reforged (quality of the game notwithstanding), I've always wanted the satyr allied race. A perfect mix of draenei and elves.

After Legion I doubt they are going to do it, but hey, they use wierdest races in these expansions nowadays, so maybe one day.
    Man if WoW had anything close to Reforged quality models, I'd play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    The Sanlayan in the horde have all been killed by shandris feathermoon.
    An there only have been a hand full in the first place.

Also i do not care where another elve is comes from or goes. Seriously WHY would anyone need another differently coloured elve if there are so many other races available who allready have connections to horde and alliance... baffling.

You get the same rig you allready have and the moment you put armor on you don't even see a difference to existing elves.
    And people gobble it up why blizz makes money by using a colorslider

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyvax View Post
    Vrykul makes the most sense.

When you use toys to transform into a vrykul form, it actually changes your tooltip when you hover over a player (i.e. "Level 60 Vrykul Warrior).

No other transformation toy does tha
    t.
    Plenty of other toys do that.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Love the super unbiased framing of the poll

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Ogre/Vrykul is my vote.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hugnomo View Post
    Love the super unbiased framing of the poll
    Sounds like you want another elf recolor.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Ogre/Vrykul is my vote.
    Me too. I'm over here playing my Kul Tiran Shaman and sighing every hour about would it could be instead.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Futhark View Post
    Me too. I'm over here playing my Kul Tiran Shaman and sighing every hour about would it could be instead.
    Here's one way I like to think of it: Ogres have been a part of the Horde as long as Goblins, and they're not nearly as mercenary. They're all about 'might makes right'. Them being a part of the Horde continued into WC3, and then further into WoW... and yet we still don't have playable Ogres, so many years later. We got Goblins before Ogres. It's so weird.

And if they don't want to do Ogres, there's always Vrykul! Vrykul have looked awesome since Wrath, and they would fit pretty well in with the Horde after the humble pie we've been feeding them. I'm sure they would begrudgingly offer the 'short races' some respect after we kicked their asses so thoroughly.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    While true, I'd rather they added undead elves as a customization option for forsaken than as an allied race. To me that would make more sense assuming we're talking about that dark ranger look.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Here's one way I like to think of it: Ogres have been a part of the Horde as long as Goblins, and they're not nearly as mercenary. They're all about 'might makes right'. Them being a part of the Horde continued into WC3, and then further into WoW... and yet we still don't have playable Ogres, so many years later. We got Goblins before Ogres. It's so weird.

And if they don't want to do Ogres, there's always Vrykul! Vrykul have looked awesome since Wrath, and they would fit pretty well in with the Horde after the humble pie we've been feeding them. I'm sure they would begrudgingly offer the 'short races' some respect after we kicked their asses so thoroughly.
    at this point, the only thing i can think about is that they are saving ogres for a future exp in ogre continent, maybe fighting against yrael and the army of light something like void x light exp. and the remaining tribes would have to join us and all. vrykull would be perfeclty added in dragonflight as they are dragon riders since WOTLK.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    It only took you "5 seconds" because your solution to the issues is either "totally change the lore" or "who cares".

It's the same as saying you solved world hunger in 5 seconds because you said "just give them food"
    Adding a few quests to introduce an undiscovered land of friendly Ogres is, by all metrics, very different than ending world hunger.

I will believe it when it launches. We've been promised stuff before. Dance Studio was a thing, so was the Titan path, and Karabor ended up NOT being the Alliance Capital in WoD. I'll stay optimistic, but I am not hopeful.
    “Be the change you want to see in the world.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    There are actually 4 issues with ogres:

1.) Ogres are Dumb as hell. Only an Ogre with 2 Heads is somehow capable. This is an big issue since an 1 Headed Ogre does not have the intelligence to do anything than simple Work. But this is not really an necessarity by giving every ogre an visible Trinket out of an Apexis-Crystal

2.) There is no female Model: before it can be an used race, we would need female Ogres, they simply does not exist (yet). Then blizzard would probably need to update every zones with ogres to add them.

3.) Ogres are too tall. This actually IS a big issue that we already have with tall races as Taurens and Draenei where they actually can get stuck, especially when they using a mount. This would be an even bigger issue with Ogres; yes there are smaller ones, but even they are tall, but most of them are very tall, and some even gigantic.

4.) Ogres have a quite disporpotional and huge Body Size. This is not a case like Pandaren or Kul'tirans, they have a huge Body, very short legs, a Horn on their head and all in all Ogres rarely wear any armor at all. To refit the armor to ogres is a collosal amount of work, this can't even be compared to any other race they've added so far.
    Reskin the Dwarven Skeleton/Rig with Kul Tiran Human Mesh for Ogres.