Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    35,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkilak View Post
    True, but I don't see the point of that for "regular" casters, let alone the Evokers.
    It seems to be the bare minimum to show the weapon with a boomkin, and it is a big thing to some to be able to see weapons on their model.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  2. #42
    The Patient Berkilak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Green Chapel
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    It seems to be the bare minimum to show the weapon with a boomkin, and it is a big thing to some to be able to see weapons on their model.
    I hope our situation is as dour as the one that Druids find themselves in. I want to see our armour.

  3. #43
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    35,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkilak View Post
    I hope our situation is as dour as the one that Druids find themselves in. I want to see our armour.
    I don't mind if it is just the main pieces visible, and not some barber change.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  4. #44
    How does it matter for two pure caster specs?

    I would have loved it on the missing black dragon tank spec, but alas.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

  5. #45
    To be fair, a reach weapon absolutely makes sense for a mid range caster with physical abilities. I just think the Lance=Dragons idea is faulty because the lance is meant to kill the dragon (and is a pretty ancient theme for dragonslayers, from S.t George to Dragonlance).

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    How does it matter for two pure caster specs?

    I would have loved it on the missing black dragon tank spec, but alas.
    Pretty much every class is helped in popularity by having the potential for strong solo play (so pet spec>tank>melee>ranged with strong CC>everyone else). The evoker fights midrange which means it cannot even stay in range for long so I'm hoping it will be designed to not really be affected by melee combat (perhaps the charge style ranged attacks are possible while moving and not affected by interrupts) or just has very consistent ability to regain range (low CD disengage or knockbacks).

  6. #46
    Could be nice. Polearms are dope, and only druids can use them while also being casters.

  7. #47
    Frankly I've argued for the inclusion of weapons in casting animations since at least WotLK. It's a question I've tried to bring up at every Blizzcon since they started asking questions from SoMe, but they only half-heartedly answered it in Legion where some of the artifact ability animations for casters utilized the weapon.

    I think casters wielding a staff, wand etc. should optionally be able to visually channel their spells through their weapons. Though I'll admit it's likely a lot of work to implement, I nevertheless think it'd be worth it.

    Feels silly to emphasize the importance of weapons so much in WoW when they inevitably just sit on your back or hip if they're visible at all for casters. That's especially true with all the new 3d cloak transmog pieces that additionally hide back sheathed weapons.

    That said, in the case of Evokers, we see them using their claws, Onyxia style deep breath attacks and so on, where including weapons in the animations seems an impossible ask.
    Last edited by Unlimited Power; 2022-05-05 at 12:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

  8. #48
    The Patient Berkilak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Green Chapel
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I don't mind if it is just the main pieces visible, and not some barber change.
    Definitely need to be seeing more than shoulders and belt. Particularly for the Evoker-specific sets.

  9. #49
    polearm is not a weapon caster would use.

  10. #50
    The Patient Berkilak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Green Chapel
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by kappalol View Post
    polearm is not a weapon caster would use.
    And swords are? Maces? Axes? Fist weapons?

  11. #51
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    35,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkilak View Post
    Definitely need to be seeing more than shoulders and belt. Particularly for the Evoker-specific sets.
    I would imagine shoulders, chest, and belt.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Berkilak View Post
    And swords are? Maces? Axes? Fist weapons?
    Yes, yes, maybe, and not really?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  12. #52
    The Patient Berkilak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Green Chapel
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I would imagine shoulders, chest, and belt.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Yes, yes, maybe, and not really?
    They seem to have substituted tabards for chests. I would at least like to see the leg armour and helms added. If we can toss helms on Tauren, we can make it work for these guys.

    As for "caster" weapons, what gives you those perceptions? Each and every one of those have featured as a caster weapon at some point in the game's history. Hell, the best caster weapon that dropped for me until I was well into Naxx40 was a 2H mace! What makes polearms fundamentally different?

  13. #53
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    35,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkilak View Post
    They seem to have substituted tabards for chests. I would at least like to see the leg armour and helms added. If we can toss helms on Tauren, we can make it work for these guys.

    As for "caster" weapons, what gives you those perceptions? Each and every one of those have featured as a caster weapon at some point in the game's history. Hell, the best caster weapon that dropped for me until I was well into Naxx40 was a 2H mace! What makes polearms fundamentally different?
    Well. I've not seen a caster polearm before. And further on, your argument stretches to class restrictions, and shaman can't use polearms either, which is almost where Dracthyr is copied from, except they permit swords.. but not shields.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  14. #54
    The Patient Berkilak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Green Chapel
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Well. I've not seen a caster polearm before. And further on, your argument stretches to class restrictions, and shaman can't use polearms either, which is almost where Dracthyr is copied from, except they permit swords.. but not shields.
    Which is precisely my point: these designations are completely arbitrary. But, for example, they made fist and axe caster weapons to set Shamans apart, even if they aren't "traditional" caster weapons like wands and staves. They could easily do the same for Evokers and Polearms.

    And upon searching, there is already precedent for caster polearms: https://www.wowhead.com/items/weapon...?filter=23;1;0

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonGuard View Post
    Polearms are in the game already.
    Stats already change dynamically depending on your spec.
    Polearm is not a niche weapon, it an undeservingly underused one since vanilla.
    The polearm got some spotlinght in legion for survival hunters, but it is still the most underused in the game close to wargalives.

    Now is the time to SET. THE. POLEARM. FREE!!!!!!!!
    The problem being they don't like to put caster polearms in the game because only Holy paladins would use them.

    Maybe if they normalized main stats for weapons the way they do for armor.

  16. #56
    Well, to be honest...

    It doesn't matter what weapon any caster has. They NEVER use weapons in their spellcasting animations.

    Dracthyr aren't showing any weapon visuals at all in combat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Since Arthas used Frostmourne, which is a Runeblade, and Frostmourne's power eminates from those runes, that made him a Runemaster by default.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkilak View Post
    Which is precisely my point: these designations are completely arbitrary. But, for example, they made fist and axe caster weapons to set Shamans apart, even if they aren't "traditional" caster weapons like wands and staves. They could easily do the same for Evokers and Polearms.

    And upon searching, there is already precedent for caster polearms: https://www.wowhead.com/items/weapon...?filter=23;1;0
    Shamans are not unique in being able to wield caster axes or fist weapons. Druids and monks can use the fist weapons while monks and paladins can use axes.

    But those weapon types are an absolute rarity for a reason and caster polearms even more so even if there's precedent.

    Blizzard generally design items based around general usability.

    By far you'll see most 2H str sword, axe and maces, agi polearms and staves, int staves, daggers, maces and swords and finally a good mix of agi and str 1h weapons with significantly fewer 1h str fist weapons than agi.

    Those weapon type+primary combinations cover by far the most specs.

    Then there's obviously agi daggers for the rogues, ranged weapons for hunters and at least 1 glaive per tier for the DHs.

    The fact that you want Evokers to be able to wield polearms is not a great argument for Blizzard to start filling dungeons and raids with a niche weapon type that will be used by very few specs and doesn't make sense for a caster class aesthetic anyway.

    Eventually Dracthyr will be able to roll other classes. At that point you can just do that if you think dragon+polearm is such a must.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

  18. #58
    The Patient Berkilak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Green Chapel
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    The fact that you want Evokers to be able to wield polearms is not a great argument for Blizzard to start filling dungeons and raids with a niche weapon type that will be used by very few specs and doesn't make sense for a caster class aesthetic anyway.
    Both subjective and moot. You may have had a point like fifteen years ago - the tech has long evolved since then. Personal loot is a thing. Dynamically updating primary statistics are also a thing. Polearms already exist. This isn't a "new" weapon type. It isn't even "new" to casters.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkilak View Post
    Both subjective and moot. You may have had a point like fifteen years ago - the tech has long evolved since then. Personal loot is a thing. Dynamically updating primary statistics are also a thing. Polearms already exist. This isn't a "new" weapon type. It isn't even "new" to casters.
    The classes that can currently wield caster polearms are Druid, Monk and Paladin. Do you honestly think they can wield polearms because it makes sense as a caster weapon, or is it perhaps because they have melee specs for which polearm makes sense? Polearms are inherently a melee weapon and Evokers are exclusively a caster class.

    Hell, from what we've seen, not all gear is displayed on Dracthyr in their dragon form and it's quite possible weapons don't even display on them in the first place given the media presented so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

  20. #60
    The Patient Berkilak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Green Chapel
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    The classes that can currently wield caster polearms are Druid, Monk and Paladin. Do you honestly think they can wield polearms because it makes sense as a caster weapon, or is it perhaps because they have melee specs for which polearm makes sense? Polearms are inherently a melee weapon and Evokers are exclusively a caster class.

    Hell, from what we've seen, not all gear is displayed on Dracthyr in their dragon form and it's quite possible weapons don't even display on them in the first place given the media presented so far.
    Fist weapons are for punching. Swords are for cutting. Daggers are for stabbing. Axes are for hacking. Maces are for bashing. All of these are inherently melee focused designs. All are, also, caster weapons.

    I also doubt that they display on the draconic form. That doesn't mean that they don't need weapons at all, nor does it mean that certain weapons wouldn't look cool in the visage form.

    I honestly don't know why anyone would actively oppose this suggestion other for than the sake of opposition. It's utterly inconsequential, given the way that the modern game works. If it appeals to you, great! If it doesn't? No skin off your back whatsoever.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •