Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    The problem is not using dragons, is HOW you use then, many franchises succeed in doing it, But i doubt wow will, because Danuser is not a good writer for the main plot, he will fuck thing sup with his fanfic just like he did in shadowlands, but now there is no one else for him to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Their creative team is just burnt out, that's all. The expansion has zero - I say it again - zero own takes on anything.

Talent system is 1:1 the old talent system mixed with what we have now.

Dragon Riding is a carbon copy of Guild Wars 2 flying, it even has the exact same animations.

Dracthyr and Evoker... we have to see, but there's nothing "fresh" there either. Evoker has animations that are just a rip off of every other class, particularly Demon Hunter.

The expansion just lacks every kind of ambition.

Dracthyr and evoker are blatantly copy of Demon hunter, they just changed tank for healer, ranged dps from melee and are selling the class as new race. Hell even the "race" itself is a worse version of the dragonkin we had like drakonid

I think dragons are fine, what I'm really looking forward to however are the gnolls and centaurs.

I hope there will be dungeons featuring them. Can't wait to see some big-fat ass "modern WoW" Hogger with a "almost a tree" as a club or something alongside their totally-not-drustvar magic.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2022-05-02 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DujeBelak View Post
    Dragons. The most common foe associated in vast majority of other games. We had them before , we have them again. Nonsense. Lazyness at maximum.
    The Landscape wasn't impressive at all. Legion looked far better. Nostalgia wins over and one wants to bring Back Grizzly Hills 2.0.
    Dragonkin race and class, cmon I could make up something grander.
    Dragon place, dragon lore, Heavily dragon association everywhere. No thank you. Terrible.
    The magic is gone. They are trying too hard now. Overhaul of UI. Talent points will divide playerbase. This is an insanely bold move that in my opinion will impact game in more negative way especially older players who are used to current setup and skills.

Apparently some Giants are foes and more dragons once again. Giants? Giants and Dragons, Is that all you can come up with? The trend and eternal circle of BS continues , same thing as many other games of this generation. Reused assets, remastered, reforged versions of 1.5 decades old games, Bringing back older characters. I have zero interest in Wow as I did in ages Fan boys will be milking money to Blizzard a a lot nontheless.

Amusing truly it is these mega fans drooling over a Dragon as if its they saw creature first time in virtual world of WoW especially. It shocks how deluded people are and limited. There is nothing remotely interesting about new expansion. Any MMO is prone to decay and decline, Its funny how players still live in their own divided world, unwilling to accept that Wow is history.

I sense strong Illusion of "new" things. You will be highly disappointed. Your excitement is too strong now.

'Hope is a first step on a road to disappointment -- Blizzard.
    Huh? People have literally been asking for the aspects back for years. Blizzard is LITERALLY doing what the fans want.

The thing is, they did NOT do dragons justice last time. First tier had three dragon encounters, second had none and the third tier had Ulthraxion. I don't think you can even count Deathwing as a dragon fight. The best parts of the dragon expansion were not even dragons! (imo Firelands and maybe Troll Dungeons)

So yeah they needed to redeem the concept. Also one of their most popular characters introduced post launch has been Wrathion and his story after N'zoth's defeat is very much finding a way to restore his flight. With Dragon Isles being one of the few places left over from the original concept to explore it just makes sense to go there.

lmfao, yeah. Fuckin' Blizzard capitalizing on one of the most bankable high fantasy tropes in existence (and a trope which they've already sold multiple expansions on in the past). If they were really creative they'd, uh, have space elves and shit.

If they had the imagination of a 12 year old boy there would be more boobs.

Your take is weak.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deln View Post
    If they had the imagination of a 12 year old boy there would be more boobs.

Your take is weak.
    Quite.

I'm pretty sure what most people who complain about "lack of creativity" or the like want is, in fact, exactly what a 12 y/o boy would come up with, which is to say a bunch of edgy nonsense with boobs and a lot of people wearing black and "nothing personnel, kid" (but unironically) and so on. Shadow the Hedgehog-type shit. Spawn-type shit.

I saw something pretty funny on another messageboard where a dude was complaining about the upcoming D&D movie, and that it was "for kids" because it seemed Marvel-like rather than The Northman-like, then he talked about how he "wasn't in middle-school anymore" and had "mature tastes", before listing what he thought the D&D movie should be like - which is to say, a bunch of stuff that was popular with middle-school kids thirty or more years ago, back when he was in middle-school lol. Talk about outing yourself.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Huh? People have literally been asking for the aspects back for years. Blizzard is LITERALLY doing what the fans want.
    Reminds me of making snacks for my kid. First, they want something specific, then they don't, then they get angry that you switch it out with something else.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Dragons are cool. Cooler than the last exp, that's for sure.

Doing dragons in a fantasy franchise is not a sin, escalating your whole setting into a space opera on the other hand is. The biggest mistake of cataclysm, besides wasting all that work on low level leveling zones, was effectively writing the dragon flights out of the story. That folly became clear in the subsequent expansions where we constantly sought their help and they pitched in with a new McGuffin every time, because dragons just belong in a high fantasy setting. Giving them a proper role in the story again is not a bad thing, the questionable thing is more if Blizzard actually wanted to do this or if they just do this begrudgingly now because their playerbase made it clear they don't want world of star wars with an equally appaling disney paintjob. I have my doubts if the current writing and design team can get into doing a good job when they can't even do it for the cases where they do care.

Also as others have said, if this was a 12 y.o.'s fantasy we'd be seeing more titts. If anything I would call this more of an attempt at design by commite, fleshed out by people of the cali-fart bubble, but that remains to be seen. Dragons itself speaks for more millenials that grew up on skyrim 10 years ago, if we are fishing for cliches.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2022-05-02 at 02:54 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

What are you expecting, exactly? WoW has fundamentally relied on for pretty much its entire lifespan drawing inspiration from/totally ripping off pre-existing mythos. Greek gods, The Force, Star Wars, Norse gods, Lord of the Rings obviously, I could go on.

What exactly are you wanting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    What are you expecting, exactly? WoW has fundamentally relied on for pretty much its entire lifespan drawing inspiration from/totally ripping off pre-existing mythos. Greek gods, The Force, Star Wars, Norse gods, Lord of the Rings obviously, I could go on.

What exactly are you wanting?
    Something new probably. They dont know what it is, but something new.

Dont see any reason to be mad about this. Dragons are badass. Cant go wrong with having dragons as a major part of xpac.

Besides, its better than nippleguy doing 5d chess only to decompose into a useless husk.

Quote Originally Posted by storyline View Post
    lmao imagine paying for this game when dozens of p servers do it better for free and then complaining about it on the internet. y'all in an abusive relationship
    Imagine playing in p servers when they are complete shit. Y'all are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    I get the devs are lacking creativity but what bestiary were you expecting? You’re just growing old, you’ve seen it all.
    manbearpig?

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Dracthyr and evoker are blatantly copy of Demon hunter, they just changed tank for healer, ranged dps from melee and are selling the class as new race. Hell even the "race" itself is a worse version of the dragonkin we had like drakonid
    Yeah, it's like that. I have no idea why so many are eating them up so much, they're so boring and copy pasted from other classes and races... people were expecting so much for this expansion, Blizzard gives us so little and yet those people wanting a world revamp etc. are somehow fine with the few things we get? Uhm...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kixxenn View Post
    I was actually looking forward to this and hoping it is executed properly. It's not unheard of that they take inspiration from other games. I have personally never tried it.
    It's not inspiration, it's a rip off. As I said in another thread, at least they're copying the best possible mount system in an MMORPG, yet there is no new take on it. Heck even the animations are identical to the GW2 animations besides looking overall worse.

So... what's ambitious about this expansion?

Another island continent like in WotLK, MoP and BfA.

A class/race that's like Demon Hunter but with scales and uglier animations.

A talent system that we already had and what they get rid of because they thought it's not good... just to bring it back ten years later.

Dragon riding which basically is restricted flying based on a system stolen from Guild Wars 2.

So again, where is the ambition? It's by the numbers without taking any kind of risk.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I can partly agree but it is a needed step to get away from Shadowlands, and the bullshittery that the can of worms Sylvanas' lore opened. We're finally getting somewhere, progressing into a chapter that has been left vacant for a long time. And finally, as we see it, it is not just brain dead faction war, or demons, or undead.
    Getting away from Shadowlands with an expansion that's basically Dragonlands is not what WoW needed. Sylvanas wasn't the only reason why Shadowlands sucked. Dragonflight right now looks like Shadowlands without Sylvanas, which is not good (enough).
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting away from Shadowlands with an expansion that's basically Dragonlands is not what WoW needed.
    Sooo, WoW, after multiple expansions of destruction and turmoil doesn't need an expansion about renewal, and taking control again? That is how they are selling it at the moment. It is the obvious theme to go for, something on Azeroth. Light Vs. Void would've taken us off Azeroth again in a good chunk of the story, another one would be South Seas, but why make that without revealing the massive island placed on the way to the other side of the map? I would've wanted an underground expansion but I admit, it wouldn't break the pattern we've been through.

Sylvanas wasn't the only reason why Shadowlands sucked.
    Nope, but she had her own shit chapters, and they luckily got less with the book explaining some stuff but didn't fix her part of it.

Dragonflight right now looks like Shadowlands without Sylvanas, which is not good (enough).
    WoW... That is a huge assumption from an expansion we hardly know anything about, not even the story, compared to another expansion where we just got the main bad thrown at our feet. I, at the moment, see hardly any connections to Shadowlands except... eh... The renown system which is to be more flexible now?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Reminds me of making snacks for my kid. First, they want something specific, then they don't, then they get angry that you switch it out with something else.
    Clearly they wanted double snacks, and you failed by trying to restrict them to one. Smh sir, smh.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Janitor View Post
    If anything I would call this more of an attempt at design by commite, fleshed out by people of the cali-fart bubble, but that remains to be seen.
    If you think there was ever a WoW expansion that wasn't "designed by committee", well, that would be incorrect. Literally all WoW expansions are the product of design by committee, in California, mostly by Californians. WoW itself is.

The only real change I can see if that the people making the game are now closer in age to the majority of people playing the game, rather than a dead minimum of 5-10 years older, and thus more likely to be the same generation. Because the older people all left because they either:

A) Got so much money they were like "Fuck working for a living".

B) Decided they had an "artistic vision" and were going to "make something amazing" - so far literally none of them have. Even companies I had some hopes for started by ex-Blizzard-high-ups have produced exactly jack shit. And it's been 5+ years in some cases.

C) Scandaled themselves out (and/or dodged scandal but clearly left because of it). A lot of this stuff went on so long I think because the people in charge were Gen X and Gen X took this stuff waaaaaaaay less seriously.

Ion Hazzikostas is the same age as me, for example, 44 (i.e. Xennial). Whereas Rob Pardo is 51 and I think Ghostcrawler is about 53/54 (guessing, he graduated college in 1991).

Re: Millennial, you're not wrong, but the people on this forum are totally in-denial over the fact that WoW's playerbase is pretty much entirely Millennial and Gen-Z. And Millennials generally like dragons, as you correctly point out, and in the US and UK (and Canada/Australia/Ireland) at least also tend not to have hugely negative attitudes towards Disney - and to see Disney as less "for kids" than Gen X (who generally hated Disney a lot more, this is very obvious with Gen X writers who often hold Disney as representative of everything wrong with US culture). I think we see a lot of European posters who are kind of more opposed to slightly Disney-ish stuff, but that element has always been there in WoW. The art style and even the storytelling was always basically "Disney meets 1990s Marvel Comics" (despite them being Gen Xers, note). I think part of the backlash we see on this forum is that people who liked Gen X stuff (despite not necessarily being Gen X) can see less and less of the pointless edginess and hostility and macho nonsense that characterizes a lot of Gen X media (which is distinct from Boomer media which tends to be a bit calmer).
    Last edited by Eurhetemec; 2022-05-02 at 07:00 PM.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

Does the ignore list on this forum have a max limit?

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it's like that. I have no idea why so many are eating them up so much, they're so boring and copy pasted from other classes and races... people were expecting so much for this expansion, Blizzard gives us so little and yet those people wanting a world revamp etc. are somehow fine with the few things we get? Uhm....
    The problem is not even being fine with it, the problem is defending their laziness, it is something i cannot understand, dracthyr evoker is the most shameless and lazy thing blizzard did since the legion allied races.

- - - Updated - - -

WoW... That is a huge assumption from an expansion we hardly know anything about, not even the story, compared to another expansion where we just got the main bad thrown at our feet. I, at the moment, see hardly any connections to Shadowlands except... eh... The renown system which is to be more flexible now?
    Like, i agree we must wait before talking about something, but we may not know the story, but we do know the writer, that is the biggest problem.

Having a fresh start with a new storyline will be wasted if the writer just shit the bed again.

And the signs are already bad, we got this bullshit nonsense retcon of dracthyr evoker, completely unnecessary cause we already had dragonfolk to use, so, i personally, am not holding my breath to see what Danuser is cocking for dragonflight.