Page 1 of 15
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Dreadlord Sagenod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    813

    A technology-themed expansion could have worked

    Dragonflight's goal is "a return to Azeroth," bringing more grounded themes and getting us away from the endless existential nightmares. I think a tech-themed expansion could serve the purpose just as well as Dragonflight. This also has the potential to introduce some sort of Tinker (engineer, machinist) class to the game, which I believe a better fit for the ranged only, mail-wearing class design intention. Also, the Undermine and possible underworld of Azeroth, in both a metaphorical and literal sense. Criminals and caves, technologies and trade, Titan facilities, Old Gods, Azerite, Nerubians, Drog'bar, the Black Dragonflight for all you dragon nerds, Earth elementals and let's not forget: Goblins and Gnomes and all the zaniness those two races bring with them.

    Anyone with me here?
    Last edited by Sagenod; 2022-05-02 at 10:02 PM.

  2. #2
    No. Stop trying to shoehorn in Tinkers. Take the hint, it ain’t happening.

  3. #3
    I would prefer expanding on professions with cosmetics, abilities, and other functions to compliment existing class fantasy.

  4. #4
    Technology themed expansion is not high fantasy, which is what Blizzard is going for with Dragonflight.

    Sidenote, it doesn't matter how much you want Tinkers, evidently Blizzard would rather invent something largely new than actually implement a Tinker class.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

  5. #5
    I'm really curious to where dragonflight will go. But honestly I think I would have been a bit more hyped about an expansion where we focus on tinkers and technology upgrades to boost the defenses of our factions territories only to face feral dragons.

  6. #6
    The Insane Ielenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    18,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagenod View Post
    Dragonflight's goal is "a return to Azeroth," bringing more grounded themes and getting us away from the endless existential nightmares. I think a tech-themed expansion could serve the purpose just as well as Dragonflight.
    Not really. Technology, in an of itself, has never been a "big threat" or anything that could carry an entire expansion. We would need someone utilizing technology, and we don't have anyone. And "world-ending technology" would likely fall into the purview of Titan-level technology, which would bring us back to the "cosmic threats" kind of nonsense we're trying to get away from for at least one expansion.

    This also has the potential to introduce some sort of Tinker (engineer, machinist) class to the game
    Ah, so that is the actual purpose of this thread, and not to discuss any potential expansion idea. Okay, good bye.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons and as a last, drastic measure.
    Oof...

  7. #7
    NOPE. Cause once you start going down that path, you keep going down it. You dont magically have an expansion themed around technological advances and then go back to "core fantasy" or "high fantasy". Its not received well... Look at Legion and their random ass "ooooh yea the Legion has a fleet of Star Destroyer ships at their disposal btw."

  8. #8
    A steampunk expansion is definitely viable. But what we needed right now is Dragon Isles. Maybe one day. I know people hate tinkers and I personally wouldn't main one but never say never is a good philosophy to keep in mind when thinking of what Blizzard does. Blizzard has always turned expectations upside down.

  9. #9
    The Unstoppable Force Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dragon Isles
    Posts
    23,149
    While a technology expansion would have worked, a dragon expansion works as well. Dragon Isles and a dragon class based on the dragon heroes in HotS, and Undermine and a technology class based on the tech heroes of WC3/HotS. The good news is that while the Tinker didn’t arrive in 10.0, they have a high chance of showing up in a future expansion.

  10. #10
    I think a big problem with Tinkers as a class is it often feels like people come up with the class idea first and then try to create an expansion around it as opposed to the expansion first and Tinkers being a natural fit for the expansion.

    DKs were a natural fit for Wrath, Demon Hunters were a natural fit for Legion, Monks were a natural fit for MoP. A dragon-themed class is a natural fit for a dragon-themed expansion, and it was only a matter of time before we went to the Dragon Isles, since it's one of the few unexplored established places left.

    But Tinkers aren't Titan tech, they're not First One tech, they're goblin and gnomish. There would need to be an expansion based around either (or more likely both) of those races for it to be a natural fit, and at that point you're putting the cart before the horse. Maybe there is a secret paradise of goblins or gnomes out there (hi Mechagon/Undermine) but an expansion focused on either of those races isn't exactly... they don't feel like expansion material, you know?

  11. #11
    The Insane Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    16,081
    Warcraft dragons are one of the blandest parts of the setting and one of the most meh ideas to base an expansion around.

    I would have been down for a steampunk expansion. Give me a steampunk castle/city like Lindblum.


  12. #12
    If anything, Battle for Azeroth could have been a good time to add tinkers with Azerite and the Fourth War pressing the need for mechanical innovation. It could have been a monk-like class, where many races prove capable of learning from gnomes or goblins.

    In practice, Azerite fizzled out before the first act was over, but they could have done a lot more with the concept than they ultimately did.

  13. #13
    The Unstoppable Force Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dragon Isles
    Posts
    23,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    I think a big problem with Tinkers as a class is it often feels like people come up with the class idea first and then try to create an expansion around it as opposed to the expansion first and Tinkers being a natural fit for the expansion.

    DKs were a natural fit for Wrath, Demon Hunters were a natural fit for Legion, Monks were a natural fit for MoP. A dragon-themed class is a natural fit for a dragon-themed expansion, and it was only a matter of time before we went to the Dragon Isles, since it's one of the few unexplored established places left.

    But Tinkers aren't Titan tech, they're not First One tech, they're goblin and gnomish. There would need to be an expansion based around either (or more likely both) of those races for it to be a natural fit, and at that point you're putting the cart before the horse. Maybe there is a secret paradise of goblins or gnomes out there (hi Mechagon/Undermine) but an expansion focused on either of those races isn't exactly... they don't feel like expansion material, you know?
    Yeah, it's called Undermine. It was originally planned as a continent in Vanilla WoW.

  14. #14
    It is totally possible. It may still happen. But, it wasn't this time.

  15. #15
    Dreadlord Sagenod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Not really. Technology, in an of itself, has never been a "big threat" or anything that could carry an entire expansion. We would need someone utilizing technology, and we don't have anyone. And "world-ending technology" would likely fall into the purview of Titan-level technology, which would bring us back to the "cosmic threats" kind of nonsense we're trying to get away from for at least one expansion.


    Ah, so that is the actual purpose of this thread, and not to discuss any potential expansion idea. Okay, good bye.
    Use your imagination! There's all sorts of room for interesting villains with a technology theme. Not to mention, the big bad of the expansion doesn't necessarily have to be directly tied to the theme of the expansion itself. Final boss of Mists was Garrosh who was corrupted by the Heart of Y'shaarj. N'zoth was the final boss of BFA. The general theme of those expansions did not match up with their big bads, for better or worse.

    Also, don't use bold text at me. Goodbye, friend, your condescending tone will certainly (not) be missed.
    Last edited by Sagenod; 2022-05-03 at 01:02 AM.

  16. #16
    Void Lord Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In some Sanctuaryesque place or a Haven
    Posts
    43,690
    I rather see a Titan world(Or Homeworld) expansion honesly, when cosmic stuff returns(Doesn't have to be soon).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

    Warrior-Magi

  17. #17
    Dreadlord Sagenod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Warcraft dragons are one of the blandest parts of the setting and one of the most meh ideas to base an expansion around.

    I would have been down for a steampunk expansion. Give me a steampunk castle/city like Lindblum.

    Yes please! Something like that would be awesome juxtaposed against the Undermine, were they both implemented in this hypothetical better-than-Dragonflight expansion! Lol

  18. #18
    They can make just about anything work, but if you are asking me if dragonflight is equally as good of an idea as some mechagon expansion I will be disagreeing strongly.
    I feel like some of you guys are just like in love with this tinker thing and I am just not seeing it. Outside of Goblins and Gnomes, it appears even the rest of azeroth isn't seeing it either.
    It just seems too far fetched to me.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

  19. #19
    Dreadlord Sagenod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    They can make just about anything work, but if you are asking me if dragonflight is equally as good of an idea as some mechagon expansion I will be disagreeing strongly.
    I feel like some of you guys are just like in love with this tinker thing and I am just not seeing it. Outside of Goblins and Gnomes, it appears even the rest of azeroth isn't seeing it either.
    It just seems too far fetched to me.
    Perhaps my post has that tone to it, as if a tech expansion would be better than Dragonflight. In some ways I do believe that, though I have to concede that from a narrative standpoint it would be a hard sell. But there is a lot of potential to work with!

  20. #20
    Sadly mecha themed content has been tainted by being pretty trash in bfa so it's not likely they will go back to it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •