Thread: 2022 Midterms

Page 10 of 170 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    Just put Ripster on ignore like Vegas because they both just endlessly go on and on about the stupidest semantic bullshit that derails threads for pages. It'll save internet data of not having to respond or load their shit.
    He's not wrong though. "For the most part", we don't have one polling place per county or 100k voters per poll. If he meant "for the most part, counties are responsible for local elections" that's not quite how I read it. I think there's just a weird disconnect happening.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    He's not wrong though. "For the most part", we don't have one polling place per county or 100k voters per poll. If he meant "for the most part, counties are responsible for local elections" that's not quite how I read it. I think there's just a weird disconnect happening.
    And I would be the first to agree - I read it one way (the way I meant it) and now can see how it would be interpreted the other. That was my bad. I also wish he hadn't misrepresented what I said, including leaving out clarifying remarks of mine)

(he's just wrong about all the other assumptions he made)
    Last edited by cubby; 2022-08-08 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Ah, I see - and seriously, thank you for posting/phrasing it like you did above. The misunderstanding is that what I meant by "for the most part, they are the same" is that counties generally run the elections for state and national elections. So counties and polling station are the same - i.e. county polling stations. However, I can definitely see (now) where that could be read differently.
    So, in other words, you misunderstood what that poster was saying and what the "shit poster" was trying to correct them on? Then attacked the person for attempting to correct their misunderstanding based on your one site per county statement? Again, that's where we're at here.
    But you did, and still do, to a certain extent. You aren't including all the conversation, nor the other posts relating to the topic, including the parts where I post cites as followup. You're also leaving out the rest of the post of mine you cite, which is dishonest. Because I explain myself further in that post, which you leave out in your responses.
    None of the rest of the post even attempts to correct that poster's misunderstanding. Apparently because you didn't understand what that poster was saying. This is a you issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    There's not really any other way to read it in the context of that conversation.

- - - Updated - - -

(he's just wrong about all the other assumptions he made)
    What other assumptions? I linked a map of polling stations in the area of the country that has the worst polling lines in the country showing that they don't need to go to one site per county to have things be shitty. As far as I'm aware, there aren't any places that are actively trying to go to one site per county, which is why I asked for a cite for the claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    So, in other words, you misunderstood what that poster was saying and what the "shit poster" was trying to correct them on? Then attacked the person for attempting to correct their misunderstanding based on your one site per county statement? Again, that's where we're at here.

None of the rest of the post even attempts to correct that poster's misunderstanding. Apparently because you didn't understand what that poster was saying. This is a you issue.
    No, not at all. Nothing you've said above is correct. Can you please just stop? You made one coherent post that finally clarified what you meant, and I answered it. Just let it go, please, for all of us.

There's not really any other way to read it in the context of that conversation.
    Yes, there is. Literally the way the person who wrote it meant it (i.e. me).

- - - Updated - - -

What other assumptions? I linked a map of polling stations in the area of the country that has the worst polling lines in the country showing that they don't need to go to one site per county to have things be shitty. As far as I'm aware, there aren't any places that are actively trying to go to one site per county, which is why I asked for a cite for the claim.
    Fulton County.

And watch, you can't even admit you're wrong about that assumption. Right? So how can we believe anything you say after this?

No, not at all. Nothing you've said above is correct. Can you please just stop? You made one coherent post that finally clarified what you meant, and I answered it. Just let it go, please, for all of us.
    Yeah, it is correct. The "shit poster" was trying to correct the misunderstanding of the 100k/site. The 100k/site wasn't your claim. It's what that poster inferred from your claim. I clarified, not what I meant, but what was going on in the conversation you replied to.
    Yes, there is. Literally the way the person who wrote it meant it (i.e. me).
    When only you see things a certain way, and that way is based on a misunderstanding of what's going on in the conversation, it's not really applicable.

- - - Updated - - -

Fulton County.

And watch, you can't even admit you're wrong about that assumption. Right? So how can we believe anything you say after this?
    What even is this? Yes, fulton county is the county whose map I linked. What about it?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it is correct. The "shit poster" was trying to correct the misunderstanding of the 100k/site. The 100k/site wasn't your claim. It's what that poster inferred from your claim. I clarified, not what I meant, but what was going on in the conversation you replied to.
    I love that you still haven't looked at his location. The irony, on at least three levels now, is hysterical.

When only you see things a certain way, and that way is based on a misunderstanding of what's going on in the conversation, it's not really applicable.
    You should try seeing things more than just your way then. And at some point, consider the idea that you might be wrong.

What even is this? Yes, fulton county is the county whose map I linked. What about it?
    Sorry, not going to play your little games any more. If you don't understand, reread the thread, it's in there, from today.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    It's by Republican design. If people have to wait to vote, that will deter them from voting.
    Yeah, they're the same people who would absolutely riot in the streets if election day was made into a guaranteed paid federal holiday. Can you imagine? God, it would be glorious...

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Yeah, they're the same people who would absolutely riot in the streets if election day was made into a guaranteed paid federal holiday. Can you imagine? God, it would be glorious...
    It's truly amazing how insidious the GQP's moves have been to disenfranchise the U.S.' voting population. Like your example, a National Voting holiday would allow millions of people to vote easier and faster, and increase the number of voters who vote overall. The GQP, knowing this, prevents it at every turn.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    It's truly amazing how insidious the GQP's moves have been to disenfranchise the U.S.' voting population. Like your example, a National Voting holiday would allow millions of people to vote easier and faster, and increase the number of voters who vote overall. The GQP, knowing this, prevents it at every turn.
    Yeah, it's the sort of thing I would push if I was President (assuming the President would have that kind of power). It's a big, easy fucking win for progressives everywhere. Making it easier for people to vote? Don't mind if I do. It'd also be a great way to get re-elected, since you give everyone in the country another paid day off.

I love that you still haven't looked at his location. The irony, on at least three levels now, is hysterical.
    I see his location. Once again, it doesn't change what you said.
    You should try seeing things more than just your way then. And at some point, consider the idea that you might be wrong.
    You didn't understand what was going on in a conversation, then made comments that cannot be read another way in the correct context of that conversation. I'm not the one who messed up there.
    Sorry, not going to play your little games any more. If you don't understand, reread the thread, it's in there, from today.
    Asking for a cite for your claims of going to one site per county isn't a game. I've read the thread. There are zero cites about counties trying to go to one polling site per county. Using fulton county's map to show that they don't even need to go to one site per county, when there are other ways to mess with polling, isn't playing a game. Here's my first ask:

If you could cite where you got the "only one polling place per county" from, it'd make it a lot easier to check.
    The first post I replied to you with.

Holy fuck, Ripster42 are you actually that stupid or do you pretend to be?

No further comment from me, because argueing with you seems utterly pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Holy fuck, Ripster42 are you actually that stupid or do you pretend to be?

No further comment from me, because argueing with you seems utterly pointless.
    Here's you:

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Max voters per polling station in Germany: 2.500

Average county in the US about 100.000 says wikipedia. Your voting laws really are malicious.
    To be clear, there's generally not one voting site per county in the US.

To be clear, there's generally not one voting site per county in the US.
    OK, just one comment:

cubby said that counties have only 1 polling station in some areas
    I compared the average amount of voters per German polling station with the average amount of people in US counties

It was an observation without knowing which county exactly has only one polling station. I would hope that the average 100k US county had about 40 polling stations, but some obviously don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Connecticut, Minnesota, Vermont, and Wisconsin all have primaries today.

Stan Van Gundy would like to remind people that primary voting in Florida has already started.
    In the Florida Democratic primary, where voting has already started, I am supporting Val Demings for US Senator, Charlie Crist for Governor and Aramis Ayala for Attorney General.

See how easy that was.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Midterm Voter View Post
    Connecticut, Minnesota, Vermont, and Wisconsin all have primaries today.
    Why do y'all insist on sodding Tuesdays?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Why do y'all insist on sodding Tuesdays?
    It comes from the Old English Tīwesdæg, Tyr's day. The god of voting and doing chores in-the-middle-of-the-week.
    In the late twentieth century, it also became the day for weekly celebration of Tacos.

Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Midterm Voter View Post
    It comes from the Old English Tīwesdæg, Tyr's day. The god of voting and doing chores in-the-middle-of-the-week.
    In the late twentieth century, it also became the day for weekly celebration of Tacos.

Fuck, can I once again lament that Republicans never delivered on their "threat" of taco trucks on every street corner? Like, holy shit seriously I'm sad about that since I live in a small-ass unincorporated township where I believe the only "hispanic" food of any sort is Taco Bell. Though we do have like 4 very average Chinese places run by lovely people. Food may not be great, but it's fairly cheap and the owners are all super cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Fuck, can I once again lament that Republicans never delivered on their "threat" of taco trucks on every street corner? Like, holy shit seriously I'm sad about that since I live in a small-ass unincorporated township where I believe the only "hispanic" food of any sort is Taco Bell. Though we do have like 4 very average Chinese places run by lovely people. Food may not be great, but it's fairly cheap and the owners are all super cool.
    I live in a village with a population < 75000 and we have THREE Mexican Taco Trucks and they're all popular and they're all delicious. Yes, also, my village is heavily Republican.

We also have a Mexican restaurant that is INSANELY popular. It's located by a strip mall and on nights when they're open, the parking lot causes traffic jams in the strip mall.

I don't understand why Republicans have such a hard-on hate for Mexicans and foreigners and yet I know so many of them in interracial relationships.

- - - Updated - - -

I dragged my ass out of the house and went to vote and my gut feeling is things aren't looking good for Republicans. Take everything I'm about to say with a grain of salt.

I live in a VERY Republican area. I vote with 4 other Wards in my town.

I just did some rough numbers. I expect the turnout to be ~20%. Republicans have a ton of options on the ballot. Democrats have nothing really on the ballot. I just ran the numbers and we're about 70% Republican and 30% Democrat as far as Registration in my five wards.

Here are some turnout numbers and some notes on the Primary:

2020 - 31% -- Only a single option to vote for in this Primary on the Republican ballot

2018 - 39% -- Tons of options to vote for both Dems and Republicans

2016 - 71% -- Massive turnout, tons of options in every election in addition to a State Supreme Court Justice on the ballot

2014 - 22% -- Very few options, similar to 2020.

So, where were we at tonight? I have a number in my head as far as projections are concerned based on the count on the machines tonight. I'm willing to bet we end tonight around 20%, and that's assuming there hasn't been more registrations.

What's on the ballot? Republicans have a ton of options for Congress and Governor. There is also the fact that Donald Trump visit nearby this week to endorse Ron Johnson and one of the candidates in the Governor primary.

We literally might end up with a turnout lower than 2014 before all the craziness. That cannot be good for Republicans.

- - - Updated - - -

Turnout for my voting wards shows Republican turnout is WAY down. 2020 and 2014, there was nothing import on the ballot. There were hardly any primary races on the ballot. This year, there were a ton of races on the ballot including Trump turning out a week ago to endorse a GOP Governor candidate and a senator.

2022 -- 22.9%

2020 -- 31.1%

2018 -- 39%

2016 -- 71%

2014 -- 22.4%

2012 -- 36.7%

Hopefully this is a trend that continues for the rest of the state and the entire US.

Raw Numbers

2022 Total Votes: 1228

2020 Total Votes: 1659

2020 Registered Voters: 5342

2014 Total Votes: 1195

2014 Registered Voters: 5300

2012 Total Votes: 1941

2012 Registered Voters: 5287

GOP tempers expectations for Senate majority

Republicans are looking to manage expectations when it comes to winning back the Senate majority in November as Democrats rack up key legislative wins and some GOP candidates stumble.

The comments come as Democratic hopes of gaining seats in the upper chamber are growing. Democrats just passed their climate, tax and health care bill, dubbed the Inflation Reduction Act, a major piece of President Biden’s agenda. That followed bipartisan passage of a measure to increase semiconductor manufacturing and competitiveness with China, as well as a bill to expand health care for veterans.

Additionally, the overwhelming rejection of an anti-abortion ballot measure in Kansas points to an electorate energized by the fall of Roe v. Wade.

And Republicans are grappling with a handful of controversial Senate candidates struggling in the polls in key swing states.

----
    52 is a nice number.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    62 is an even nicer number. It ain't happening but a mother fucker can dream.