1. #2381
    Moderator Crissi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    31,789
    Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    Yep. I have been on board with Bernie because of his policy positions for a long time now. He's been my preferred candidate in both of the last elections. And yet, despite the fact that he was hobbled both times by the DNC establishment, I still voted for their preferred candidate. And still, we get this shit from them.

    I just don't get how a policy of insulting and attempting to shame the people you want to help you out could possibly work?
    zero problems with progresisves / bernie fans thta ended up voting for Hillary. The problem children are those that sat out / voted form someone else knowing how our election system works.

    Like if say, AOC was nominated Id be disappointed, but Id still vote for her, cause I know the republican alternative is worse.

  2. #2382
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'm not sure why y'all are getting upset then since the criticism are directed at the Bernie-stans that voted for Trump, not those that sucked it up like the rest of us and voted for the candidate who wouldn't risk peoples rights.
    you mean all 5 of them... you mean the group of people so small it really didn't make any difference at all, and it COULDN'T POSSIBLY BE THE CASE that those people were not part of a hivemind like you seem to think they are....

  3. #2383
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    You really think 30 years from now we're going to be debating abortion like we do today?
    absolutely, yes. we were debating abortion like we do today 40 years ago and the debate has never ceased, it's not like evangelicals are going to just stop existing in the next 30 years.

    Or that gay rights would be back on the chopping block in 30 years? C'mon.
    oh god absolutely they are - the opinion given by thomas on this ruling said that they should (would) reconsider the precedent on rulings they protect being gay from being illegal, so in the next 30 years there will absolutely be efforts to return to making homosexuality a crime.

  4. #2384
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    ID
    Posts
    2,537
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    zero problems with progresisves / bernie fans thta ended up voting for Hillary. The problem children are those that sat out / voted form someone else knowing how our election system works.

    Like if say, AOC was nominated Id be disappointed, but Id still vote for her, cause I know the republican alternative is worse.
    Having to wait for generational change is exhausting. We can slow the damage in the meantime, but I don't really blame anyone at the end of the day for not buying into that.

  5. #2385
    Here is the hard charging Dems!








    Always passively fighting for us and not doing shit. I'm talking about this is a weak as you can look people.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States…. [It is] nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”

    -Isaac Asimov

  6. #2386
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Tbf if your stance is "if you can't feed/cloth/educate them, we might as well just kill them" that's pretty bad all on it's own.

    Republicans: if people are too poor to raise a child they shouldn't have children
    poor people: I am too poor to raise a child and need an abortion
    Republicans: wtf? no you have to raise the child or go to prison
    poor people: ok so you help me raise the child by increasing the minimum wage to livable wages?
    Republicans: wtf? no


    Tell me what exactly are poor people supposed to do?

  7. #2387
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Here is the hard charging Dems!








    Always passively fighting for us and not doing shit. I'm talking about this is a weak as you can look people.
    your votes hard at work, folks.

  8. #2388
    Moderator Crissi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    31,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    Having to wait for generational change is exhausting. We can slow the damage in the meantime, but I don't really blame anyone at the end of the day for not buying into that.
    Accelerationism hasnt historically worked out well.

  9. #2389
    Moderator Rozz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    8,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'm not sure why y'all are getting upset then since the criticism are directed at the Bernie-stans that voted for Trump, not those that sucked it up like the rest of us and voted for the candidate who wouldn't risk peoples rights.
    Because reading is hard and Twitter wired brains into the Pancakes vs Waffles meme.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

  10. #2390
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    you mean all 5 of them...
    Here's the link again - https://www.npr.org/2017/08/24/54581...p-survey-finds

    12% of them.

  11. #2391
    High Overlord Zinstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post

    Republicans: if people are too poor to raise a child they shouldn't have children
    poor people: I am too poor to raise a child and need an abortion
    Republicans: wtf? no you have to raise the child or go to prison
    poor people: ok so you help me raise the child by increasing the minimum wage to livable wages?
    Republicans: wtf? no


    Tell me what exactly are poor people supposed to do?
    They are supposed to fail and perish... or at least they are supposed to be someone else's problem.

    That is the mindset of the majority of them... they do not care and if they fall that's less of "them" in our great society. It's a fairly selfish mindset.

    This world would be a better place if we had less people with this mindset sadly.
    Last edited by Zinstorm; 2022-06-24 at 07:07 PM.

  12. #2392
    Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    You stretch these things to make them seem ridiculous, but part of running for political office is portraying a desirable image, visiting people to at least make it seem like you give a shit about them, kissing babies, and just generally pandering the shit out of everyone you can. This is part of the game, you can't avoid it, at least not if you want to win. And you can moan and be unhappy about it all you want but people are still people and these are the things that matter to more than enough people to make a difference. Complaining about it is not going to make it stop being a thing.

    So, instead, hold accountable the politician who refused to do those things despite how important they felt it was for them to win. Clinton hobbled herself out of hubris, you can't blame people for recognizing that hubris and rejecting it.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Oh, yeah, forgot this. The "Blame Bernie" crowd. It was all Bernie Sanders fault that Clinton lost, had nothing to do with her at all.
    Sure can blame people when the other option was Donald J Trump who before the election we knew for sure 1 and probably 2 supreme court justice notations. That's outside of the hundreds Trump and McConnel packed the lower courts with. Life time appointments 100% avoidable with any dem president. Not to mention the hundreds of executive orders that were outright stupid and harmful, blatant corruption and incompetent nominations, and just overall pissing off our friends and allies left and right. You want to talk about hubris? Not voting for someone who will be vastly more likely to block policies you don't like and pass ones you do and is perfectly qualified for the job because you can't imagine having a bear with them/going to the movies seems like textbook hubris. And given that Trump could probably be diagnosed as narcassitic, definitely hubris adjacent, and not voting for Hillary means he's more likely to win I'd say your choice of words was poor.

    And Hillary was never as undesirable as half ya'll made her out to be. But to anyone who thought about voting Bernie or was slightly left leaning Trump was not just undesirable. He was passing a kidney stone every day of your life levels of undesirable compared to Hillary. Hence the justified annoyance/criticism for those who avoided voting for Hillary not because of policy but because of 2 year old nonsense like "likeability". That exact stupidity is why the person who is best for the job doesn't get elected and we end up with the best suck ups. And while Hillary failed to play around that bit of human nature and should be blamed for that there is zero issues with also blaming the people stupid enough to think like that and vote according to those thoughts. You w

    She'd have won in any other system but she knew the rules and unfortunately pandering to morons wasn't her strongest point and it's a requirement for politicians to be elected you seem in favor of.


    I don't blame Bernie. Nor do most of us based on what I read on these forums. Guy did his best and lost in a race that honestly was always going to be uphill for him and no matter what you think of him you can't deny he at least acts on what he feels is best for his voters and objectively pushed the party a bit left. Would have happily voted for him just as I did Hillary and Biden. I blame the idiots who stayed home because they were butt hurt and had to lie to themselves that Bernie who has now lost to the "worst candidates ever" twice was going to be more electable in a country where even the supposed left wing party screams bloody murder when they hear the word socialism and decided not voting, or in rare cases voting for Trump out of spite, was the better choice. And then now as those same people freak out as conservatives do exactly what anyone who can zip their own pants without help knew they'd do I've got every right to call out the stupidity of their decision making process about who to vote for.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

  13. #2393
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Here's the link again - https://www.npr.org/2017/08/24/54581...p-survey-finds

    12% of them.
    .... and you you didn't think that proves my point?

  14. #2394
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    .... and you you didn't think that proves my point?
    Depends on where they lived, actually. Because yeah, that could have been the difference between states like WI and PA and a few others that Trump narrowly won by less than 1-2% or less.

    We can discuss Hillary's failure to campaign in some of those states for sure, but the way voting and the EC works, depending on where those folks lived they could have absolutely "made the difference".

    But again, it's not "all" on them, nobody is saying that.

  15. #2395
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Depends on where they lived, actually. Because yeah, that could have been the difference between states like WI and PA and a few others that Trump narrowly won by less than 1-2% or less.

    We can discuss Hillary's failure to campaign in some of those states for sure, but the way voting and the EC works, depending on where those folks lived they could have absolutely "made the difference".

    But again, it's not "all" on them, nobody is saying that.
    I think uuuhname is saying that there were only 41.66 Bernie voters.
    8

  16. #2396
    Legendary! Flurryfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Empire of Man
    Posts
    6,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinstorm View Post
    They are supposed to fail and perish... or at least they are supposed to be someone else's problem.

    That is the mindset of the majority of them... they do not care and if they fall that's less of "them" in our great society. It's a fairly selfish mindset.

    This world would be a better place if we had less people with this mindset sadly.
    Thats the thing, i never understood this view point, that many pro-life people have, that they won't support child-care and bills giving money to single/young mothers.

    Like, its nearly the exact same thing as providing an abortion - its about improving the situation, whether it is removing the problem or making it easier to manage.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

    Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

  17. #2397
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States…. [It is] nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”

    -Isaac Asimov

  18. #2398
    Old God Captain N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Resident of Emerald City
    Posts
    10,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    Thats the thing, i never understood this view point, that many pro-life people have, that they won't support child-care and bills giving money to single/young mothers.

    Like, its nearly the exact same thing as providing an abortion - its about improving the situation, whether it is removing the problem or making it easier to manage.
    Because its never been about life. It's always been about control. Control over anything that isn't straight, white, and male.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

  19. #2399
    oh yeah, the Dems are going to rack in soooo much money doing nothing off the back of this.

  20. #2400
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    oh yeah, the Dems are going to rack in soooo much money doing nothing off the back of this.
    I always give Trump and Republicans shit for the Grift. Well here is the Dems.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States…. [It is] nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”

    -Isaac Asimov

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •