Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Ironically, black women account for the vast majority of abortions in southern states. Louisianna - 61.4%, Georgia - 64.9%, Alabama - 61.9%, Mississippi - 74.5%. Like I said, cutting access to abortion will make maternal mortality rates in these states go way up.
    "Fewer abortions and fewer black people? Win-win!"
    -GOP 2022

I'm really confused. The maternal mortality rate appears to be 25.2 per 100,000, so how do you get "black genocide" from "no abortions"?
    Yeah it might go up but wouldn't it need to go to 25%? That's not happening.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I'm really confused. The maternal mortality rate appears to be 25.2 per 100,000, so how do you get "black genocide" from "no abortions"?
    Yeah it might go up but wouldn't it need to go to 25%? That's not happening.
    Keep in mind, any numbers you find for maternal mortality is in a legal abortion world.

And also, people are being a big hyperbolic.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Last edited by Flarelaine; 2022-05-23 at 02:05 PM. Reason: you never know who takes it at face value

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Maybe Louisiana should count 3/5 of the black maternal mortality rate?

/s
    Apparently, Republicans have to choose not to speak about the black maternal mortality rate to please Democrats. Cassidy talked about programs he's moving forward with to address the problem in his state later in the interview, but noooo gotta talk about the bad sound bite endlessly, because digging at Republicans comes before black maternal health in these parts. (Hell, listening to the full interview would improve the education around these parts, since they discuss policy approaches and statistical categories. But BOOM sound bite political hit sarcastic jab dopamine rush)
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    Apparently, Republicans have to choose not to speak about the black maternal mortality rate to please Democrats. Cassidy talked about programs he's moving forward with to address the problem in his state later in the interview, but noooo gotta talk about the bad sound bite endlessly, because digging at Republicans comes before black maternal health in these parts. (Hell, listening to the full interview would improve the education around these parts, since they discuss policy approaches and statistical categories. But BOOM sound bite political hit sarcastic jab dopamine rush)
    If Republicans didn't rather consistently give these racist "sound bites" then people would stop pointing them out. But like...they just can't stop themselves.

What other comments of his are you talking about?

For whatever reason, people of color have a higher incidence of maternal mortality.
    Was it this one? Where the "reason" is obviously the higher rate of poverty and lack of access to health care overall, especially pre-/post-natal care? Lack of transportation and ability to get time off if they need to go to an appointment? You know, all things stemming from severe poverty that's the result of decades/centuries of institutional racism?

But I see he's trying to clean it up - https://twitter.com/SenBillCassidy/s...37781101056000

Well, the Connected Mom's bill doesn't even seem to have any sponsors - Well, he's introduced a bill! A vague bill but hey, the intention is good even if it'll never go anywhere. It'll require additional federal funding (because states like Louisiana need the government bailout all the time) so I'm skeptical his colleagues will support it should it come to a vote even in committee.

The Maternal Health Improvements grant seems to be from HHS - https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2021/...he-nation.html

Do I think he's a complete monster? No, not really. But I think that, again, it's another Republicans accidentally saying the quiet part out loud.

There's really no good look to, "Well our maternal death rates aren't that bad if you just ignore Black women existing and remaining at high levels throughout my career in the US Senate, with no changes in sight."

Spare me. He didn't want to talk about black mortality rates except to deflect blame from LA's mortality rates. If he did, he wouldn't have said that it was higher "for whatever reason" he'd have addressed those reasons. But that would mean addressing things he doesn't want to talk about (how racist his party's control of LA has been).
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

How is "If you correct our population for race, we're not as much of an outlier as it'd otherwise appear" anything other than downplaying the problem because it primarily affects black people?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Spare me. He didn't want to talk about black mortality rates except to deflect blame from LA's mortality rates. If he did, he wouldn't have said that it was higher "for whatever reason" he'd have addressed those reasons. But that would mean addressing things he doesn't want to talk about (how racist his party's control of LA has been).
    He would also have to admit that overturning RvW is not going to actually help this.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Do you enjoy being fucking racist?

Republicans: Our rates only look bad when you include everyone but when you exclude black people it really isn’t that bad or worth talking about.

Other people: So your policies are so racist that it causes that much a disparity between races on this issue? I think we need to talk a look into that as well…

Republicans: I didn’t say that we needed to look into that either or that it needs addressing. Just that we didn’t really need to into the first stats because it’s only a problem when we include non-whites.

Others: You didn’t say that your policies weren’t racist, just that you didn’t think they needed to be addressed. Your realize that right?

Republicans:Exactly!
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account

Resident Cosplay Progressive

When it comes to the health of mothers and their infants, Southern States are all talk and no action.

Louisiana's maternal mortality rate is 58.1 per 100,000 live births according to world population review. For black women in Louisiana the rate is 72.6. Even for white women the rate is not great at 27.3. Black women in California in 2011 - 2013, when the rate was much higher, have lower maternal mortality rate than white women in Louisiana. California current maternal mortality rate according world population review is 4.0.

Last edited by Rasulis; 2022-05-24 at 03:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently, Republicans have to choose not to speak about the black maternal mortality rate to please Democrats.
    Not "to please Democrats". "To not be overtly and deliberately racist as fuck". If you don't have a problem with these arguments, then you are being racist, too.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Not "to please Democrats". "To not be overtly and deliberately racist as fuck". If you don't have a problem with these arguments, then you are being racist, too.
    The fairness I'll give to Cassidy's statement - and Tehdang's defense - is that Cassidy appeared to be trying to highlight the higher-than-average maternal mortality rate among the black population of Louisiana than blaming them for the state's own higher-than-average mortality rate. He even acknowledges the underlying factors of -why- there's such a racial divide in mortality rates further in the Politico article. He just made the original statement in a manner that sounded crass and flippant.

From the article it seems like the Louisiana state legislature is actually trying to do something about it, even if it looks like it's just being used as an Abortion Wedge issue and that hope that whatever policies will 'do something' rely on ignoring the last fifty years of republican governance.

Oh sweetie, you and I both know he won't make any program to try and help maternal mortality, because if he wanted to actually do something about it he'd be a Democrat. In addition, he spoke about that solely as deflection, trying to say that "it's good if you don't count how bad we are" as though that meant anything.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    When it comes to the health of mothers and their infants, Southern States are all talk and no action.

Louisiana's maternal mortality rate is 58.1 per 100,000 live births according to world population review. For black women in Louisiana the rate is 72.6. Even for white women the rate is not great at 27.3. Black women in California in 2011 - 2013, when the rate was much higher, have lower maternal mortality rate than white women in Louisiana. California current maternal mortality rate according world population review is 4.0.
    It’s worth mentioning that California has taken measures to improve its maternal mortality rate. Some of the measures they’ve created has been exported and are used by other American states. Despite that many US states still have poor outcomes. Without California’s efforts it could be worse elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Where the "reason" is obviously the higher rate of poverty and lack of access to health care overall, especially pre-/post-natal care? Lack of transportation and ability to get time off if they need to go to an appointment?
    Things he talked about in the interview. Like I said before, things you can't get to if you're only there for the *DING* got my soundbite.

Well, the Connected Mom's bill doesn't even seem to have any sponsors
    Thanks for calling him a groundbreaker. I like when ordinarily partisan individuals give Republicans their credit.

A vague bill but hey, the intention is good even if it'll never go anywhere
    Two in one post. Good direction for the future unity of the country.

Do I think he's a complete monster? No, not really. But I think that, again, it's another Republicans accidentally saying the quiet part out loud.
    The step you're missing here is he means to say the targeting of causes of black maternal deaths will greatly improve Louisiana's maternity survival rate. Since he goes on to mention what he's found out about the problem and how to fix it, and already said the one category that stands out. It's another case of "When Biden misspeaks, it's a gaffe or stutter, when Republican Elected Politician misspeaks, it's dogwhistle racism"

There's really no good look to, "Well our maternal death rates aren't that bad if you just ignore Black women existing and remaining at high levels throughout my career in the US Senate, with no changes in sight."
    "If we could just fix a problem that I've identified, which I'm going to state exactly how we're tackling it and why, then our maternal death rates would look good." Again, clear from what comes after.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    If you stop listening at the sound bite, this is exactly the wrong summary you'd come away with. Which is kind of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Oh sweetie, you and I both know he won't make any program to try and help maternal mortality, because if he wanted to actually do something about it he'd be a Democrat.
    If he wanted to give you permission to read and understand the argument, he'd identify himself as a Democrat.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

If you stop listening at the sound bite, this is exactly the wrong summary you'd come away with. Which is kind of the problem.
    He didn't talk about the systemic issues. He doesn't want to talk about root causes or solving those problems. The fact that you think he meaningfully addressed those issues is the problem. Well, not really. The problem is that he's a racist POS, who actually thinks this way, and doesn't even seemingly comprehend why what he's doing is racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..