Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Nah, they think she can just drop it off at the fire dept. and it’ll be adopted within the week.
    And paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills for the experience is perfectly fine.

Gee, it's almost like making SCOTUS a for-life job was a bad, bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    I drew the direct line between the literal "constitutional originalism" of Alito's opinion here) and his opinion on same sex marriage and interracial marriage) to the second amendment and it's lack of explicitly stating that it provides the right for the individual to bear arms for personal self defense. The "libertarian" that I drew this line for has yet to process that shit. I don't know if it's a case of "not my fucking problem" or what, but idiots like him are either oblivious to the consequences of such actions or so comfortable in their privilege they have convinced themselves this shit could never happen to them.
    The very notion that "the Constitution doesn't explicitly mentions it thus there can't be federal laws about it lol" is farcical to the point of the absurd. Does it mean Congress cannot legislate on cell phones, airplanes, skyscrapers, tanks, video games or soft drinks? Because none of those existed when it was written so you know, tough luck. Leave the management of all air traffic to the States, ya'll.

There's a reason the people who wrote the damn thing included a provision for amendments. They were quite aware interpretations and morals change over time.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    The very notion that "the Constitution doesn't explicitly mentions it thus there can't be federal laws about it lol" is farcical to the point of the absurd. Does it mean Congress cannot legislate on cell phones, airplanes, skyscrapers, tanks, video games or soft drinks? Because none of those existed when it was written so you know, tough luck. Leave the management of all air traffic to the States, ya'll.

There's a reason the people who wrote the damn thing included a provision for amendments. They were quite aware interpretations and morals change over time.
    You're misunderstanding his justification. It's not that there can't be laws about it, it's strict constructionism to an absurd degree. If the Constitution doesn't mention it, then the Constitution can't be interpreted to include it. That there are no federal laws ensuring abortion access is what's allowing this to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    Gee, it's almost like making SCOTUS a for-life job was a bad, bad idea.
    The SCOTUS has been corrupted by forced birth religious fascists.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    You're misunderstanding his justification. It's not that there can't be laws about it, it's strict constructionism to an absurd degree. If the Constitution doesn't mention it, then the Constitution can't be interpreted to include it. That there are no federal laws ensuring abortion access is what's allowing this to happen.
    Then it is worse than I imagined.

The issue with a federal law of course, assuming the Dems could even pass it, is that the Republicans would overturn it as soon as they are able to.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    They are ahead of that a lot of these red states have made traveling anywhere else to get an abortion against the law. It's just a matter of time before they start hauling pregnant women to prison.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    It's not a justification it's basically them giving the country the middle finger saying justification nothing we can do whatever we want. That opinion basically says they can overturn whatever law they want because they can, gay marriage, interracial marriage, civil rights it doesn't matter we are going back to 1787.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    I'm sorry, I just can't stop eyerolling at conservative response to this right now.

Imagine what shit must be in your skull to say the leak is the scandal here. "The real bad guy is the one who alerted us to what the bad guys were doing." Like just imagine how much it must disgust anyone to be around that kind of person, because of the rancid odor pouring out of their earholes from the giant mount of festering dog shit where a brain ought to be.
    What else are they supposed to do? They know their position on this is completely indefensible, so they have to deflect to something.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    @cubby

You seem like the best person to ask this, I have been looking through the opinion some. I heard it was worded so broadly that it theoretically could also be used as a basis to attack gay marriage and potentially sodomy laws as well.

I read it some, little by little, trying to go back to the whole "The constitution does not call out abortions directly" as an excuse. But is that really broad enough to be expanded into that or did they read too much into it?

I know the GOP would put them on the chopping block in short order if they can, but is this really worded to be a step in that direction already?
    The leaked material is frighteningly vague, and seems to cover just about everything related to privacy. So that's troubling on it's own.

However, the even bigger picture is that they are essentially tossing aside established law for a strict constructionist view point. Moreover, it seems that at least one of the Justices essentially promised that Roe would be left alone.

The whole development begins at Level: Horrifying, and just gets worse from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    I'm sorry, I just can't stop eyerolling at conservative response to this right now.

Imagine what shit must be in your skull to say the leak is the scandal here. "The real bad guy is the one who alerted us to what the bad guys were doing." Like just imagine how much it must disgust anyone to be around that kind of person, because of the rancid odor pouring out of their earholes from the giant mount of festering dog shit where a brain ought to be.
    What this really says is they wanted to have this over and done while people were distracted by other matters This leaker fucked up their plans to stealth kill Roe v Wade and now they want blood.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    They are ahead of that a lot of these red states have made traveling anywhere else to get an abortion against the law. It's just a matter of time before they start hauling pregnant women to prison.
    It's fine, Canada has a long-standing policy of lying to the faces of abusive governments when it comes to factors like this. You come here for an abortion and you're gonna face persecution back home? Then it was for a consultation on your gastro complaints or back pain or somethin'.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's fine, Canada has a long-standing policy of lying to the faces of abusive governments when it comes to factors like this. You come here for an abortion and you're gonna face persecution back home? Then it was for a consultation on your gastro complaints or back pain or somethin'.
    This is how rich women have gotten around abortion laws in the past.

It is always "not an abortion."
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The leaked material is frighteningly vague, and seems to cover just about everything related to privacy. So that's troubling on it's own.

However, the even bigger picture is that they are essentially tossing aside established law for a strict constructionist view point. Moreover, it seems that at least one of the Justices essentially promised that Roe would be left alone.

The whole development begins at Level: Horrifying, and just gets worse from there.
    What I was thinking, things might get pretty bad over this. Especially if the Democrats don't get their asses in gear. Honestly hoping they actually prove my views on them wrong and they address this before it gets so extreme that they have no choice.

Also sad I know a few people who I am betting money are likely cheering this.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah, she just had a vaginal infection that had to be dealt with. Not really lying at all at that point as that is really what a pregnancy is until it reaches a point of consciousness and/or emotion.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

"Unfortunately, the procedure resulted in a miscarriage. Nothing could be done."
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    "Unfortunately, the procedure resulted in a miscarriage. Nothing could be done."
    Unfortunately, some of these states are putting in laws where such a procedure will still be investigated.

I don't like abortions personally, but I rather live in a world where they happen than live in a world where they don't because they are banned. No one should be brought into this world unwanted.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Soon Gilead will have to put stricter controls on its northern border to prevent its breeding femoids from escaping.*

Once again....the Handmaid's Tale is a warning not an aspirational document.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Unfortunately, some of these states are putting in laws where such a procedure will still be investigated.

I don't like abortions personally, but I rather live in a world where they happen than live in a world where they don't because they are banned. No one should be brought into this world unwanted.
    I can actually see this turning into something where you go to your local weed dealer to purchase morning after pills in those states.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Which is why there will be a Canadian Doctor saying "Abortion? Don't know anything about that...this woman had gall stones"

Oh this won't stop abortions. It'll just stop women from getting a safe abortion. Expect to see an uptick in ER traffic.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post

Oh this won't stop abortions. It'll just stop women from getting a safe abortion. Expect to see an uptick in ER traffic.
    Yeah, I don't get why people think banning abortions is a good thing. No good comes out of it.

You either have a child born who is unwanted by at least one parent or you have a woman seeking whatever avenue is available to get an abortion.

If you want less abortions, the best path to that has been proper sex education, and strong social safety nets and programs.
    –The Sith Code

If you want less abortions, the best path to that has been proper sex education, and strong social safety nets and programs.
    Which are all things Conservatives are also agaisnt.

Which basically amounts to:

• We're not going to help you avoid getting pregnant
    • We're not going to let you have an abortion
    • We're not going to help you with the baby we're forcing you to have.