Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    BREAKING: Louisiana Republicans have voted HB 813 out of committee (7-2), defining a fertilized egg as a human. HB 813 makes abortion at any point a homicide, with no exception for minors, rape, incest, or ectopic pregnancies. This is beyond horrific.
    https://twitter.com/QasimRashid/stat...H3diqy7zg&s=19
    Because they of course fucking did. Fucking psychopathic lunatics.

I vote we define any ejaculated spermatozoa as a human. So every time a guy jerks one out into a sock he should be prosecuted for mass homicide.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    How can the states in any way accurately represent the values of all their residents, though? I mean, you've said this is a question of values, right? You feel the federal level is too broad, but somehow the state level is "just right".
    Also, why the fuck "the state"?

Why not the county? In Texas why can't Houston, Austin, Dallas or San Antonio have abortion legal?

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    I heard 6 weeks (WaPo)
    That is literally just 2 weeks after a missed period because of how pregnancy is defined.

Some women may not have noticed they missed their period and women can miss their missed their period for other reasons than just pregnancy.

- - - Updated - - -

BREAKING: Louisiana Republicans have voted HB 813 out of committee (7-2), defining a fertilized egg as a human. HB 813 makes abortion at any point a homicide, with no exception for minors, rape, incest, or ectopic pregnancies. This is beyond horrific.
    No exception for ectopic pregnancies? So, that is going to kill any woman that has one.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    Why don't you go fucking compromise on your OWN RIGHTS?
    That's the thing with this whole glib "now the states can decide"--women's fundamental humanity shouldn't be up for a vote, and I'm not sure what's more fundamental than control of your own body and life trajectory.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    That is literally just 2 weeks after a missed period because of how pregnancy is defined.

Some women may not have noticed they missed their period and women can miss their missed their period for other reasons than just pregnancy.

- - - Updated - - -

No exception for ectopic pregnancies? So, that is going to kill any woman that has one.
    There's a video circulating on twitter of an elected official proudly telling his audience that he's against ALL exceptions to abortion, including to save the life of the mother. He repeats it several times, because he's bragging.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    There's a video circulating on twitter of an elected official proudly telling his audience that he's against ALL exceptions to abortion, including to save the life of the mother. He repeats it several times, because he's bragging.
    Is that the same one who doesn't understand what an ectopic pregnancy is?
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

I don't think so, but they're all starting to blur together now tbf: https://twitter.com/i/status/1521331562230472704

I've been tempted to think they just don't understand what an ectopic pregnancy is, but given the above, maybe they actually do.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    I don't think so, but they're all starting to blur together now tbf: https://twitter.com/i/status/1521331562230472704

I've been tempted to think they just don't understand what an ectopic pregnancy is, but given the above, maybe they actually do.
    That wasn't the one I was referring to, but given how uninformed these politicians are, yeah, it is starting to blur.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    At this point it would probably take violence to move those worthless shits off their asses. And repealing rights for vast swathes of the population is probably a pretty good ticket to that.
    Violence really is beginning to feel like the only power we have against backwoods politicians anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I encourage all men in this thread to get vasectomies, it's pretty much becoming a humblebrag that you're capable of consequence-free sex.

Homicide is the leading cause of death for pregnant women in the United States, a new study found

https://www.insider.com/pregnant-wom...t-says-2021-12
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    This monster is something created outside of the control of gender, fed by religious and conservative behavior to attempt to steal away the freedom of others so they can feel their land is "free". They have no intention of helping the many problems this will cause in the future. There are no exceptions in the minds of these disgusting people.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    Same right back at you. If none of those questions on proposed legislation matter to you, and you don't even regard it as a question of values, then maybe you're the impediment to compromise.
    It's only a question of "values" in the sense slavery was. I.e. only on most technical level. But other than that the so called values of conservatives are (as per usual) so reprehensible that to continue entertaining them as valid by even calling them "values" leaves a bad taste in the mouth of anyone who isn't mentally stuck in the dark ages.

If anything, conservatives had a stronger leg to stand on in regards to slavery because in its case there was at least some kind of conflict between the rights of two people (under the archaic concept of property rights of the time where said rights could extend to owning other humans, but still). But a fetus isn't a person, so there's no conflict here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    ... not to mention scheduling an appointment.
    Or in the case of places like TX, 2 appointments because 1 isn't inconvenient or stressful enough on it's own.

Aren’t they also one of the 13 states that made it legal for a full grown adult to fuck children?
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    It was bad enough just reading half way through, then I got to the "no exceptions" at the end...
    "Unborn child" means an individual human being from fertilization until birth
    So apparently they also outlawing the pill (which discards fertilized eggs before they are implanted) and in vitro fertilization (which creates a bunch of fertilized eggs while trying to get one implanted and discards the rest).
    Last edited by solinari6; 2022-05-05 at 02:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look, I know the old mantra is "never assign to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity", but in politics, there is no room for stupidity. You have to presume malice. That benefit of the doubt is not deserved, and it's how fascists are currently gaining in power.

Presume malice. That he does understand what an ectopic pregnancy is, he just wants women to die rather than allow secular laws protecting women's basic human rights to exist.

The way these bills are written are not intended to protect life. They are not intended to protect women. These bills will unironically kill women and put doctors in impossible positions where they need to choose between breaking the law to do a medical procedure that will save a womans life or letting their patient die knowing they could have prevented the death.

Almost as if it's not about values, like the sanctity of life. Weird, because @tehdang said it was a values thing, even if it's not an "individual values" thing but a "States are just the right size to force their values on their residents."

The way these bills are written are not intended to protect life. They are not intended to protect women. These bills will unironically kill women and put doctors in impossible positions where they need to choose between breaking the law to do a medical procedure that will save a womans life or letting their patient die knowing they could have prevented the death.
    Yep, skimming through this bill and my nieces would be charged with homicide for using birth control from the way they look.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    Also I encourage all men in this thread to get vasectomies, it's pretty much becoming a humblebrag that you're capable of consequence-free sex.
    Literally has nothing to do with anything here, FYI. Like, I get what you're trying to do, but you've missed the ball bigly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost as if it's not about values, like the sanctity of life. Weird, because @tehdang said it was a values thing, even if it's not an "individual values" thing but a "States are just the right size to force their values on their residents."
    The only "values" behind opposition to abortion are "values" like "women primarily exist as breeding stock for men", it's got fuck-all to do with states' rights. Particularly as abolishing Roe v. Wade is a federal decision.

Americans really gotta sit down and decide they're not gonna put up with murderous religious extremism any more. Because that's all this is. The intentional killing of innocent people in support of violently bigoted religious views that have no place in any modern society. This shit's as bad as honor killings. Same fuckin' difference. Worse, even, because honor killings are at least personal; this anti-abortion stuff is industrial-grade.

Pro-life. Morally more heinous than honor killings. I'll stand by that statement. It is not in any respect hyperbole or exaggeration.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Pro-life.
    Until that little sucka is out of the womb. Then they need to pull themselves up by their little bitty bootstraps, even if their mother is a poor 14 year old who was raped by a relative and has no means of providing. No government handouts for her! She should have thought about the consequences of her actions!

Oh, and prenatal care to protect the health of the mother while pregnant? And that of the growing fetus? Get the fuck outta here, we won't pay for that, either. Life is sacred, you can't put a cost on life! Mostly because they don't actually give a shit and aren't willing to put up, but they sure as fuck won't shut up either. As long as the only people facing the consequences are the pregnant women and not the "pro-life" extremists.

If they were "pro-life" they'd support a range of services that actually protect and promote the health of the woman during pregnancy and both the mother and baby after birth. But weirdly, some of the most staunchly "pro-life" states in the US also have the highest infant mortality rates - https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/s..._mortality.htm

And similarly, maternal mortality rates (less data by far) seems to mirror these results - https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/maternal-mo...e-Data-508.pdf

Almost as if it has nothing at all to do with "the sanctity of life" and everything to do with controlling women.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2022-05-05 at 03:18 PM.

I'd encourage everyone to be as openly rude insulting and mocking of anyone the see in public wearing "pro life" or trump clothing hats bumper stickers and the the like. Make these people ashamed to show their faces.