Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    There's nothing stopping the SCOTUS theocrats from declaring that the federal government has no standing to legalize abortion nationwide against the will of the states. Democracy is irrelevant.
    There's nothing stopping the SCOTUS from doing anything, that's the point and the problem with a Supreme court. And the very reason why RvW had to be overturned: They're not allowed to create legislation out of thin air.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangresnake View Post
    There's nothing stopping the SCOTUS from doing anything, that's the point and the problem with a Supreme court. And the very reason why RvW had to be overturned: They're not allowed to create legislation out of thin air.
    Dude I need my last 2 braincells to have anything to rub together, you can't write something like this and risk me loosing them.

They didn't. They gave women the right to bodily autonomy, and privacy. Like everyone else.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sure, or like california 26 weeks abortion. Let the state decide, eventually democracy will prevail.
    This ruling is just the SC declaring that abortion legality isnt up to them to decide. There's nothing stopping legislation to be passed at state or federal level.
    "Democracy will prevail," You mean like the bounty laws, where if you find out someone has gotten an abortion in another state, you can report them to earn money if it's found out they did have an abortion in a state where it was legal?

Conservatives are trying to take this "Republic" thing way too far. Laws are not allowed to prosecute across state lines for something done where it is legal. And yet "democracy" is removing many of these safeguards we had for so long.

This is all incredibly draconian, and I think the only good that will come out of this is that it will kick Republicans in the nuts electorally. There are going to be Riots and protests over this shit. I pray that the fuckers get voted out, and that democracy once again instates legalized abortion at the federal level. That's the only way in which democracy will do good here.

- - - Updated - - -

While it acted similar to legislation, it was not legislation. So get that misconception out of your head. It was a proper court ruling and was within the bounds of the judicial branch.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    this is just more states rights bullshit...
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    this is just more states rights bullshit...
    more shit that made sense back in ye old days of twn centuries ago but not any longer.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    In one fell swoop, the supreme court just decimated the Republican party for decades. This was just crossing a line. The States rights nonsense just means states will have less votes for Republicans. Nothing drives people to the voting booth more than feeling the pinch personally. If you don't like going to work on Sundays, don't do it. If you don't like abortion, than don't do it. There was better battles for the right to fight, but this one was certainly a loss in all measures.
    Its funny you think that. It really is. This "decimated the republican party for decades" just like almost everything they've done for the last decade.

This changes nothing. This is energizing the right, andthe left, in the places where it matters, have both had a lot of their ability to vote surpressed, and are just so damned tired with feeling betrayed at Biden's lack of action that they wont come out to vote.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    Josh Hawley is hoping that left leaning people will leave red states, making red states redder and purple states red as well so Republicans can increase their power in the electoral college. He's also hoping this can lead to the GOP becoming even more populist. Josh Hawley says abortion ruling will push people to move states, strengthening the GOP
    Josh Hawley is an idiot obviously. People leaving red states means lowering the population, and that decreases representation for that state in the congressional House..while the blue state gaining more population would only increase representation in the House.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Josh Hawley is an idiot obviously. People leaving red states means lowering the population, and that decreases representation for that state in the congressional House..while the blue state gaining more population would only increase representation in the House.
    Yeah, but Red states would control the Senate effectively locking the federal government down.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Yeah, but Red states would control the Senate effectively locking the federal government down.
    That presumes a republican majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    In one fell swoop, the supreme court just decimated the Republican party for decades. This was just crossing a line. The States rights nonsense just means states will have less votes for Republicans. Nothing drives people to the voting booth more than feeling the pinch personally. If you don't like going to work on Sundays, don't do it. If you don't like abortion, than don't do it. There was better battles for the right to fight, but this is pretty much a lose situation.
    The republican party hasn't won an election in decades clearly rigging the system works, they've also given up on appealing to the majority of Americans. Their goal as seen in 1/6 is to create establish a dictatorship they cannot continue on with any form of democracy.

7+ Year Old Account
    That presumes a republican majority.
    Every state gets 2 senators. If people leave the red states for the blue states, it effectively makes those two senator seats red in definitely.
    There are more Red states than blue states.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    The republican party hasn't won an election in decades clearly rigging the system works, they've also given up on appealing to the majority of Americans.
    Yep, they just tell their supporters that the majority of Americans agree with them and to proof is that they are louder.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Wish US dared to do referendums. But hey you are a republic, not a democracy. The people don't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Wish US dared to do referendums. But hey you are a republic, not a democracy. The people don't matter.
    Questions of that nature get put on ballots.
    Getting them on the ballot is the trick.

Questions of that nature get put on ballots.
    Getting them on the ballot is the trick.
    local elections but as far as I am aware we don't have a national referendum Brexit style in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    It could, however, if the Democrats get a Super majority in the Senate, they could pass the Right to Privacy as a Constitutional Amendment and include Medical privacy in it.
    Basing this discussion on privacy laws was a backwards chickenshit workaround, in the first place. SCOTUS kicked the can down the road in writing their decision in Roe v. Wade, setting the stage for precisely this. It was never a "good" judgement.

Abortion rights shouldn't be covered under privacy rights at all. "Privacy" shouldn't even come up.

What needs to be passed is a right to "bodily autonomy", or "security of the person"; different terms for the same thing (Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms includes the latter). If you want to get some dipshit Republicans to cross the aisle, point out that said right would prevent forced vaccinations or government tracking implants. Sure, the latter's nonsense and the former is irrelevant since it has nothing to do with vaccine mandates, but they don't pay enough attention to notice that; they'd have to explain to their base why they won't protect them from the government forced vaccinations.

Once you've got a right to bodily autonomy recognized, abortion rights are naturally and irrevocably included. In a much stronger sense than Roe v. Wade ever did.

Just frame it as the right to control your own body. Make it wildly generic on that basis. There's little to argue about once you make it that broad.

Man, watching twitter go apeshit over this is giving me headaches.

Why is everyone opinion so extreme? Why is no one having any calm discussions? Why are there discussions about the furthest of opposites and not a single discussion about the middle ground?

For example, one side is arguing about the fetus's life matters. Uh, you don't give a fuck about the fetus's life...

On the other side however, people use stuff like "they use their money to ban abortions, but won't give child support, free healtcare, maternal/paternal leave etc." I'm 100% sure if these things existed people would still want legal abortions. Even if crime was reduced to 0% and there was no rape, even if there were hundreds of thousands of orphanages all over the place that took care of the babies even if the parents don't want them.

Both sides are full of hypocrites.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Why is everyone opinion so extreme? Why is no one having any calm discussions? Why are there discussions about the furthest of opposites and not a single discussion about the middle ground?
    Name a single reason anyone should be calm at the prospect of tens of millions of people being reduced to second-class citizens, with no say in what happens to their own bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Name a single reason anyone should be calm at the prospect of tens of millions of people being reduced to second-class citizens, with no say in what happens to their own bodies.
    Because it's better to teach the other side how and why your ideals are important, instead of just telling them they're a bunch retards that should just go and die.

7+ Year Old Account
    Man, watching twitter go apeshit over this is giving me headaches.

For example, one side is arguing about the fetus's life matters. Uh, you don't give a fuck about the fetus's life...

On the other side however, people use stuff like "they use their money to ban abortions, but won't give child support, free healtcare, maternal/paternal leave etc." I'm 100% sure if these things existed people would still want legal abortions. Even if crime was reduced to 0% and there was no rape, even if there were hundreds of thousands of orphanages all over the place that took care of the babies even if the parents don't want them.

Both sides are full of hypocrites.
    Because there is no middle ground here. Either you believe that woman have bodily autonomy or that they don't.

- - - Updated - - -

Because it's better to teach the other side how and why your ideals are important, instead of just telling them they're a bunch retards that should just go and die.
    People have tried that and got no where. What is the saying about trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results?
    –The Sith Code