1. #3241
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    No...I thought Bluff was being optimistic. I was disagreeing with their post - I do not think this will galvanize the Democrats, and if it does, it won't be enough. I think the GQP smells blood in the water, and can see the fruits of their decades long labor paying off, and they will double down to keep winning.

    If we were going to see a YUGE influx of voters coming out of the woodwork, that would have happened in the 2020 election, voting down ticket.

    I think, will all due respect, perhaps my point wasn't clear to you. I could be missing something though - just shout.
    I'm confused, because the first word that you wrote in your reply to them was the word Agreed, but now you're saying that you were disagreeing with their post.

    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Agreed. People are saying this will galvanize the Democrats, but I disagree. I think overturning Roe will bring the GQP out in droves, and they will take the House and the Senate.

    After that - it's Impeachment votes every two weeks, and national abortion laws sent up for Biden to veto. Harris can't beat the racist misogynism, so Trump/DeSantis will win in 2024. And then we can start printing Gilead flags.

  2. #3242
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    79,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post

    Marjorie Taylor Greene

    On the other hand, according to the US Department of Agriculture, the average cost of raising a child to 18 is $284,570. That's based on annual 2% inflation rate. Much higher based on current inflation rate.

    I am assuming that estimate does not include the cost of hiring a lawyer because your 15 years old boy drove your '67 Mustang without a license, drunk like a skunk, and wrapped the car around a tree. Nor the cost of the car and the hundreds of hours that his father spent restoring the car after he bought it from a junkyard in the early 80s. At least nobody got hurt. That was the true miracle.
    Not to mention the same God is the one that has a 17-year-old brother rape his 12-year old sister and impregnate her, leading to an ectopic pregnancy for which she was denied an abortion, and which ruptured, eventually killing her (and the fetus, FWIW).

    That's the problem with these "God's Will" types. God's just as responsible for the worst horrors as his is anything good. If your interpretation of God does not incorporate that understanding, then you don't actually have the first damned clue what you're talking about and do not have an informed understanding of your own faith.

    Do not take that as an attack on religion, either. It's a simple logical necessity of the theology. While I'm only familiar with Christian approaches to the question, it's been on the minds of theologians for longer than Christianity has been around. But no theologian would make such absolutely brutally hurtful statements as MTG did, there. It's an attack on that kind of outright harmful condescension, which serves as nothing but a form of intentional, deliberate abuse.

    Anyone expressing such things is a terrible, abusive shithole of a person.


  3. #3243
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Not to mention the same God is the one that has a 17-year-old brother rape his 12-year old sister and impregnate her, leading to an ectopic pregnancy for which she was denied an abortion, and which ruptured, eventually killing her (and the fetus, FWIW).

    That's the problem with these "God's Will" types. God's just as responsible for the worst horrors as his is anything good. If your interpretation of God does not incorporate that understanding, then you don't actually have the first damned clue what you're talking about and do not have an informed understanding of your own faith.

    Do not take that as an attack on religion, either. It's a simple logical necessity of the theology. While I'm only familiar with Christian approaches to the question, it's been on the minds of theologians for longer than Christianity has been around. But no theologian would make such absolutely brutally hurtful statements as MTG did, there. It's an attack on that kind of outright harmful condescension, which serves as nothing but a form of intentional, deliberate abuse.

    Anyone expressing such things is a terrible, abusive shithole of a person.
    Bro don't you know God is only responsible for the good things? Duhhhh.

  4. #3244
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    34,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I think some people really underestimate precisely how little electoral power Americans actually have, and how disincentivizing that is to voters.

    If you're a left-winger, and you live in a red state, is your vote gonna make a difference? Even if everyone like you in that State votes? Not "every non-voter votes", as there's likely a lot of right-wingers who aren't bothering to vote because of their confidence that their guys will win regardless.

    And once you've factored that in, there's the Electoral College.

    I don't see a fix for this, not really. It may simply be that the American experiment has reached a failure condition, and it's a question of how long you can keep things strapped together before it's finally totally done. You can't always un-crack an egg, and all that; not all problems are solveable.
    I really don't see an out any more. The EC locks out the Democrats from winning a real election. The Red State domination makes the Senate untenable outside of thin majorities - and practically speaking we'll be looking at thin majorities. The House is going to swing hardcore right shortly - before 2030. The Senate will never get the 2/3rd's majority on either side, but it might get to a 60/40 majority GQP.

    And then the U.S. is done. SCOTUS will just go more conservative. More extreme measures from the GQP to "win" elections.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    As I've said several times, if you took a living, post-birth baby, which is absolutely, definitively, 100% a "person" and fully possessing all the rights and freedoms of any human being, and re-inserted it into a woman's uterus and hooked it back up to everything, that woman should 100% always have the right to say "what the fuck? No! Get it out of me! I do not want this!"

    Even if the baby would die.

    Fetal personhood is irrelevant. It's a distraction pushed by religious extremists trying to make an emotional argument that skips right past their dehumanization of women.
    Agreed. Unfortunately, in the United States, the religious extremists are now writing and interpreting the laws. I mean, Barrett was literally a Handmaid.

  5. #3245
    Quote Originally Posted by Miffinat0r View Post
    Bro don't you know God is only responsible for the good things? Duhhhh.
    This makes me mad in that I want to come for people for their religion but it is just dreadfully apparent that it is just a facade. They are not religious, it's just a convenient scapegoat for their hatred.

  6. #3246
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Not to mention the same God is the one that has a 17-year-old brother rape his 12-year old sister and impregnate her, leading to an ectopic pregnancy for which she was denied an abortion, and which ruptured, eventually killing her (and the fetus, FWIW).

    That's the problem with these "God's Will" types. God's just as responsible for the worst horrors as his is anything good. If your interpretation of God does not incorporate that understanding, then you don't actually have the first damned clue what you're talking about and do not have an informed understanding of your own faith.

    Do not take that as an attack on religion, either. It's a simple logical necessity of the theology. While I'm only familiar with Christian approaches to the question, it's been on the minds of theologians for longer than Christianity has been around. But no theologian would make such absolutely brutally hurtful statements as MTG did, there. It's an attack on that kind of outright harmful condescension, which serves as nothing but a form of intentional, deliberate abuse.

    Anyone expressing such things is a terrible, abusive shithole of a person.
    No argument there. I posted that to show that pro-life politicians have no intentions of providing funding/support for all these women and their children. None! Zilch! All GOP politicians talked out of both sides of their mouths. They could care less about abortions. They are only using the issue as rallying point.

  7. #3247
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I really don't see an out any more. The EC locks out the Democrats from winning a real election. The Red State domination makes the Senate untenable outside of thin majorities - and practically speaking we'll be looking at thin majorities. The House is going to swing hardcore right shortly - before 2030. The Senate will never get the 2/3rd's majority on either side, but it might get to a 60/40 majority GQP.

    And then the U.S. is done. SCOTUS will just go more conservative. More extreme measures from the GQP to "win" elections.
    I once thought that secession for some liberal states would be madness but the math just shows it is very likely for Republicans to just have full control within this decade. Courts are stacked, they will eventually get another seat in the SCOTUS, they will gerrymander further and there is only so far state laws can protect blue states from the madness. I just hope the madness stays contained in the US as much as possible and doesn't spread across the world because Trump's success definitely helped similar politicians elsewhere. And if it's hard for a poor person to escape from Alabama to the coast, it is vastly harder for someone to escape from e.g Brazil or the Philippines.

  8. #3248
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    34,546
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    I'm confused, because the first word that you wrote in your reply to them was the word Agreed, but now you're saying that you were disagreeing with their post.
    That's because I think you mixed up what I was responding to, and I didn't help by checking it as well. This was his post that I was responding to:
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    I thought republicans getting the house back this fall was a coin flip. I don't anymore.
    To which I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Agreed. People are saying this will galvanize the Democrats, but I disagree. I think overturning Roe will bring the GQP out in droves, and they will take the House and the Senate.

    After that - it's Impeachment votes every two weeks, and national abortion laws sent up for Biden to veto. Harris can't beat the racist misogynism, so Trump/DeSantis will win in 2024. And then we can start printing Gilead flags.
    I think I misunderstood Bluff's point, which in all honesty wasn't clear, and thought he meant the GQP would win a lot more. I guess he meant Dems. No biggie.

  9. #3249
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    That's because I think you mixed up what I was responding to, and I didn't help by checking it as well. This was his post that I was responding to:

    To which I said:

    I think I misunderstood Bluff's point, which in all honesty wasn't clear, and thought he meant the GQP would win a lot more. I guess he meant Dems. No biggie.
    Yeah Blur is more optimistic about the Democrats chances, at least according to a previous post they made before this newest one that you quoted. I still feel like it could go other way, my hope is that if the Democrats do lose seats it's not many, effectively leading to a stalemate on many issues, at least then the GOP will have trouble passing their usual horrendous agenda.

  10. #3250
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    Yeah Blur is more optimistic about the Democrats chances, at least according to a previous post they made before this newest one that you quoted. I still feel like it could go other way, my hope is that if the Democrats do lose seats it's not many, effectively leading to a stalemate on many issues, at least then the GOP will have trouble passing their usual horrendous agenda.
    GOP is gonna clean house this cycle, even if the economy was doing decently the only 2 times in modern US history when the party in power (power being WH) gained seats in their first midterm was in 2002 and Bill Clinton in '98 during his second midterm gained seats.

    Every other time it's a loss for the President's party.

    2026 is looking to be a good year for Dems.

    2020- Senate and House Flip R
    2024- Senate and House stay R and President flips R
    2026- Dems take Congress back.

    That's the trajectory I have right now.

    For democrats 2016 really was a watershed year and they lost. Trump was irrelevant he didn't bring a new judicial nominee list he made himself, they were all Federalist Society picks.

    Really we're living in a world where we have Fox News and the John Birch society went from a fringe group of activists to all poindexter Yale, Princeton, Harvard conservatives. Essentially just gotta know moving forward the US government is gonna be a lot more conservative.

    I'm expecting the Dept of Ed, Energy, and maybe HUD all get folded. Then essentially states like MO, WV, AR, and AL will continue to fall behind because no one wants to live under that conservative rule.

  11. #3251
    https://www.wral.com/no-one-forces-a...9/?version=amp

    More on Republicans being hateful, stupid bigots.

    "No one forces anyone to have sex."

    Because I guess...rape doesn't exist?

  12. #3252
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    79,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.wral.com/no-one-forces-a...9/?version=amp

    More on Republicans being hateful, stupid bigots.

    "No one forces anyone to have sex."

    Because I guess...rape doesn't exist?
    Even ignoring rape, consent to enjoyable for-fun sex is not consent to pregnancy. That's a fact.

    If you don't like that fact, you'll like this one even less; consent can always be revoked.

    If you're making this argument, you're a religious fascist and can shove your misogyny up your own ass.


  13. #3253
    Ban against abortion pills was hard to enforce and just got a lot harder.

    How to get abortion pills in any state during first 12 weeks

    Never knew there is such a thing as a "mail forwarding address" service.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Digital Defense Fund - providing digital security for abortion access.

  14. #3254
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.wral.com/no-one-forces-a...9/?version=amp

    More on Republicans being hateful, stupid bigots.

    "No one forces anyone to have sex."

    Because I guess...rape doesn't exist?
    Why are the picture of those tweets so damn blurry? Is it just on my end?

  15. #3255
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    Why are the picture of those tweets so damn blurry? Is it just on my end?
    seems like a problem with the "amp" version of the article blowing them way the hell up.



    Should be the original images, it's just a screengrab from ProPublica's section that tracks deleted tweets from lawmakers.

  16. #3256
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    seems like a problem with the "amp" version of the article blowing them way the hell up.



    Should be the original images, it's just a screengrab from ProPublica's section that tracks deleted tweets from lawmakers.
    Man this guy is a real piece of shit, like most Republicans, completely ignores all the damage that COVID and Trump did. Then of course then he ignores that rape exists.

  17. #3257
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    34,546
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    Man this guy is a real piece of shit, like most Republicans, completely ignores all the damage that COVID and Trump did. Then of course then he ignores that rape exists.
    The worse part is that they not only spew this stuff, they actually believe it.

  18. #3258
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.wral.com/no-one-forces-a...9/?version=amp

    More on Republicans being hateful, stupid bigots.

    "No one forces anyone to have sex."

    Because I guess...rape doesn't exist?
    Didn't you hear? Greg Abbott is going to ban rape in Texas, the state with the most rapes per year in Texas.

  19. #3259
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Didn't you hear? Greg Abbott is going to ban rape in Texas, the state with the most rapes per year in Texas.
    I love the implication there, when he says they are going to stop rapes. Like...if you can just stop rapes, this is something you weren't already doing?
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

  20. #3260
    The Insane Masark's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    17,973
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Didn't you hear? Greg Abbott is going to ban rape in Texas, the state with the most rapes per year in Texas.
    More likely he'll ban reporting rapes.

    Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •