The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    Bonus points for the, "That's not an abortion" lines out of the House today in reference to the 10-year old child case.

I guess when you don't want to commit to going after a child in front of Congress but you also don't want to actually say "Yeah, I guess exceptions make sense", you just redefine what an abortion is altogether!
    Goebbels would be so proud of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    Bonus points for the, "That's not an abortion" lines out of the House today in reference to the 10-year old child case.

I guess when you don't want to commit to going after a child in front of Congress but you also don't want to actually say "Yeah, I guess exceptions make sense", you just redefine what an abortion is altogether!
    The same woman said this - https://news.yahoo.com/gop-anti-abor...023936929.html

“Bodies [are] thrown in medical waste bins, and in places like Washington, D.C., burned to power the lights of the cities’ homes and streets,” Americans United for Life President Catherine Glenn Foster proclaimed.

“Let that image sink in with you for a moment,” she continued. “The next time you turn on the light, think of the incinerators, think of what we’re doing to ourselves so callously and so numbly.”
    Honestly, this kind of shit should get you kicked out of Congress and never invited back. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Even if it's not, it's more harassments for the doctor, more forms, more legal suits, more court time, etc.

We're now seeing our second tier of victims in the GQP's assault on women.

To your specific question: I would expect it is illegal, because the issue isn't whether it's already been reported, but whether this Mandatory Reporter followed the law. With diving into the case law, it would seem prudent that society would rather than a crime like this over reported rather than under reported, if that makes sense. We don't want a doctor to say, oh, well, this was probably already reported, I don't need to. Again, if that makes sense.
    Can definitely see this as just a form of harassment, but also one where it would take an activist judge going into a full pretzel to convict and would take another judge to uphold it on an appeal.

If the case has already been reported, then that had already been handled and even if it weren't all they would have to do was defer to the first doctor and said they were under the understanding that it had already been reported.

Long term though, still see the local drug dealers in those areas all carrying abortion pills pretty quickly along with clinics opening up near all their borders with many of them taking "Vacations" out of state with a return trip saying they had a miscarriage.

This was one of the dumbest hills they chose to die on.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

I would expect it is illegal, because the issue isn't whether it's already been reported, but whether this Mandatory Reporter followed the law. With diving into the case law, it would seem prudent that society would rather than a crime like this over reported rather than under reported, if that makes sense. We don't want a doctor to say, oh, well, this was probably already reported, I don't need to. Again, if that makes sense.
    As I understand it, the girl's mother told the doctor they had already reported it in Ohio.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    As I understand it, the girl's mother told the doctor they had already reported it in Ohio.
    And that may be the case. However, I don't think the Mandatory Reporting laws allow for that event. I think if you are a Mandatory Reporter, you have to report, regardless of what someone else tells you has already been reported.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    TIL Pelosi has killed over 60m kids.
    Wait, every abortion in the past 36 years have been for female fetuses?

Curious these folks are never out there fighitng for better maternal care, better pre-natal care, better post-natal care, better health services for children and new parents, and all the other things one would think they'd be fighting for if they actually cared about the lives and health of children and mothers.

10+ Year Old Account
    TIL Pelosi has killed over 60m kids.
    Religious extremists like this shouldn't have a voice in national politics. I'm not comfortable with them having a voice in their local parish, but that'd step on some rights and freedoms.

A fetus isn't a child, and I'll thank you to take your religious views and stuff them right back up your ass where they won't bother those of us who don't share them.

https://www.wfla.com/news/politics/r...of-conception/

Credit where it's due for consistency!

U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio, in an effort to improve conditions for more children following the end of federal abortion protections, has proposed amending child support regulations to require payments beginning at the month of conception.

The proposed legislation, sponsored by Rubio (R-Fla.) and Sen. Kevin Cramer (R-N.D.), is called the Unborn Child Support Act. The two senators, when announcing their introduction of the bill in U.S. Congress, said it was aimed at giving mothers the ability to receive financial support form the fathers of their children while pregnant.
    Now do I think the rest of his party has any interest in passing this? No.

Do I think they even have any serious interest in this bill and its passage? No.

But hey, at least for once Republicans are behaving in an ideologically consistent manner on this topic for just a fraction of a second. It counts for something.

Though now we're potentially delving further into fetal personhood (or zygote personhood), which continues to open a Pandora's Box of problems.

And that may be the case. However, I don't think the Mandatory Reporting laws allow for that event. I think if you are a Mandatory Reporter, you have to report, regardless of what someone else tells you has already been reported.
    And now it comes out that she did, in fact, report it, so this turns out to be a moot point anyway. Unsurprisingly, it's just Republicans being absolutely dogshit people.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Religious extremists like this shouldn't have a voice in national politics. I'm not comfortable with them having a voice in their local parish, but that'd step on some rights and freedoms.

A fetus isn't a child, and I'll thank you to take your religious views and stuff them right back up your ass where they won't bother those of us who don't share them.
    Agreed. It's frightening how much Christian religious extremism now makes up United States policy making.

I see a major problem with the Rights of the People Party (i.e. Liberals) making the larger argument that "since a fetus is a 'person' now, it should get rights". I see the goal of that argument to make the case that it's "ridiculous" to give rights/ssn's/etc to a fetus. I saw that a pregnant woman in Texas argued that she should be able to drive in the HOV because a fetus is a person. More of those situations are coming up, with Liberals trying to push the ridiculous to point out the wrongness of the anti-abortion stance.

This is truly the road to perdition.

The GQP embraces the ridiculous. They will celebrate this idea that a fetus is a person, and therefore should have rights. And that will open up an entire new area of fetus rights, and if those laws get codified and SCOTUS approved, it will then solidify anti-abortion laws nation wide. And we won't be able to reverse it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Religion is incredibly pervasive in the US, particularly within the right wing of the government. Unfortunately, there is no separating their religion from the politics at this point. Oh, but only that one religion can be allowed, too, of course. Can't have any others expressing the freedom.
    It just needs to get called out more. "My religion says I can't do that" is totally fine. You do you.

"My religion says you can't do that"? Fuck off and die in a fire, you theocratic fascist jerkwad. My religion says you should go choke on a cactus. Don't wanna? Now you're getting it, you insufferable shitbrain.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    And now it comes out that she did, in fact, report it, so this turns out to be a moot point anyway. Unsurprisingly, it's just Republicans being absolutely dogshit people.
    But it's an indication of what we can expect going forward from the GQP. Legal harassment, YUGE problems with insurance and social media attacks, reputations being divided on this issue. It will just keep going.

Oh, but only that one religion can be allowed, too, of course. Can't have any others expressing the freedom.
    The only reason they don't like that one, is because their theocratic states actually get to be as horrible and oppressive as the Christian theocrats desperately wish they could be. It's just jealousy.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I am an ageist now fk it.

Old people are the sole reason our country is in the gutter and old people are the reason things are only going to get worse.

Change my mind
    Idk, man... There are plenty of young people more than willing to carry on the storied tradition of being out-of-touch bigots who don't really care if the world burns so long as they get to hate the right people.

White House faces disaster with young voters

Biden’s approval rating has declined across the board among Democrats, but the figures with people under 30 years old is cratering.

The Biden thread is down there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    Why aren't the Democrats airing ads nonstop about the Senators who were complicit in Jan 6, and SCOTUS overturning Roe v. Wade?
    You mean- Marjorie Taylor Greene (Ga.), Paul Gosar (Ariz.), Lauren Boebert (Colo.), Mo Brooks (Ala.), Madison Cawthorn (N.C.), Andy Biggs (Ariz.), and Louie Gohmert (Texas.).? Those are all House and not Senate members. Could be they are more worried about frying the big fish, Trump, then they can go after the little fish.

The other thing you might look at is can those states go Democrat in the November election. If so then would be better to bump them so that you can get the Governor to appoint a Democrat till a special election can happen.

https://www.businessinsider.com/doct...-claims-2022-7

I hope the doctor in Indiana sues the shit outta the AG and others who smeared her without evidence. Seriously, they knowingly painted a target on her and put her at risk over literally nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It just needs to get called out more. "My religion says I can't do that" is totally fine. You do you.

"My religion says you can't do that"? Fuck off and die in a fire, you theocratic fascist jerkwad. My religion says you should go choke on a cactus. Don't wanna? Now you're getting it, you insufferable shitbrain.
    You don't actually think that will change anything or persuade anyone, right? Who are you "calling out" to? The majority of the country (especially minorities) are religious! Feels like a big portion of the left is constantly trying to get the attention of a referee that doesn't exist.

Anyway it sometimes feels like y'all weren't around in the 00s (maybe you weren't?) when we had effectively one political party for many years and theocrats seemed utterly invincible. The country is actually far less religious now and things have probably gotten worse.

African Americans in particular tend to be very religious but also pretty pro-abortion, while latinos tend to be religious and pro-life. This is about way more than religion.

The right has systematically kept its eye on the prize (in plain sight!) for decades. It's a genuinely incredible feat and act of political organizing over generations.

There is absolutely no equivalent on the left since there's no consensus position, no unifying principle, no firm ideological core on anything. And worst of all, no demonstrated ability to actually organize on a meaningful level.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    You don't actually think that will change anything or persuade anyone, right? Who are you "calling out" to? The majority of the country (especially minorities) are religious! Feels like a big portion of the left is constantly trying to get the attention of a referee that doesn't exist.

Anyway it sometimes feels like y'all weren't around in the 00s (maybe you weren't?) when we had effectively one political party for many years and theocrats seemed utterly invincible. The country is actually far less religious now and things have probably gotten worse.

African Americans in particular tend to be very religious but also pretty pro-abortion, while latinos tend to be religious and pro-life. This is about way more than religion.

The right has systematically kept its eye on the prize (in plain sight!) for decades. It's a genuinely incredible feat and act of political organizing over generations.

There is absolutely no equivalent on the left since there's no consensus position, no unifying principle, no firm ideological core on anything. And worst of all, no demonstrated ability to actually organize on a meaningful level.
    I don't think you can persuade anyone on the issue and you are incorrect the pro-choice movement has been pretty strong on the left for decades. The problem is and remains the democratic party which takes joy in spitting in the face of the base when it comes to issues. We are here today in no small part due to democrats running on codifying Roe V. Wade for 50 years and doing nothing once in power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    You don't actually think that will change anything or persuade anyone, right?
    Why would I give any shits about "persuading" these people? I'm perfectly satisfied with marginalizing and condemning them openly.

I similarly don't presume I can "persuade" a Nazi to stop being an antisemitic abuser. I'm perfectly satisfied making sure everyone around him knows he's a Nazi and having his life be ruined as a result. That's plenty for me, thanks. I couldn't care less if he changes his ways.

Who are you "calling out" to? The majority of the country (especially minorities) are religious! Feels like a big portion of the left is constantly trying to get the attention of a referee that doesn't exist.
    I wasn't talking about/to "religious people". See the whole first line, there; if your religion dictates how you, a follower, should conduct yourself, I don't care what it would have you choose for yourself. Whether that's wearing restrictive religious garb, fasting or other dietary constraints, refusing certain medical treatments, whatever. I really don't care; it's your life, I just hope you're happy, and I'll fully support your freedoms to do so.

I was commenting on religious extremists, theo-fascists. The Christian Nationalist types. A very specific subgroup who are wildly abusive and bigoted towards any and all who don't share their views.

That's not remotely descriptive of "all religious people", nor even "all Christians". Not even "most" of either. It's a specific very loud set of minorities.
    Last edited by Endus; 2022-07-15 at 07:13 PM.