Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I am rather surprised republicans are at odds about this usually they are all good Nazi soldiers literally when it comes to elections. I wonder what Graham's end game is he isn't up for any election as far as I can tell and his political career is pretty much dead outside of his state.
    Trying to do a mock middle ground maybe? Where he isn't completely against a full abortion ban but not about keeping it legal either.

Basically an attempt to normalize it and get their foot in the door on the issue at a social level where their view doesn't destroy them outright and allows them to pull it that way more slowly without as much of a pushback from the public even if they aren't popular.

Basically, "Just the tip".
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Trying to do a mock middle ground maybe? Where he isn't completely against a full abortion ban but not about keeping it legal either.

Basically an attempt to normalize it and get their foot in the door on the issue at a social level where their view doesn't destroy them outright and allows them to pull it that way more slowly without as much of a pushback from the public even if they aren't popular.

Basically, "Just the tip".
    I get that but the timing is just bad which is why I am wondering what his end game is. If they pulled this after the midterms understandable but most republicans want to at least pretend they aren't going to do that until after the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I get that but the timing is just bad which is why I am wondering what his end game is. If they pulled this after the midterms understandable but most republicans want to at least pretend they aren't going to do that until after the vote.
    Also, remember he is stuck clinging to Trump at the hip ever since Russia let it be known they have the GOPs emails. Might be doing it to both take the media off Trump's scandals with something like this while also attempting to cause chaos.

But given this man, honestly don't know. Could be trying to normalize it, might be trying to take the heat off of Trump some with the distraction, might be trying to intentionally derail the GOP some knowing what they are but not being overt about it or else his sexual habits gets leaked, maybe he is full on in the cult and thinks this is what the nation actually wants.

Honestly, telling whether this is stupidity or intentional sabotage or blackmail at this point would be hard.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I wonder if the data is...bad for the state of Texas and women who are considering getting pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I wonder if the data is...bad for the state of Texas and women who are considering getting pregnant.
    Not surprising those abortion states rank badly in every metric related to maternity and raising children.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...-dems-00056724

Hey, Marco Rubio signed onto Graham's bill as a co-sponsor!

But it's actually about...states rights? Or not? Who knows, Republicans don't actually believe in anything, apparently. Just being malicious and gaining power, apparently.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...r-republicans/

Overall, the Fox poll shows Americans disapprove by a 63 percent to 32 percent margin — right on par with polls conducted both before and after the decision in Dobbs in late June.
    So there's been some movement in polling sorta, but not really. Republicans are more likely to support the repeal of Roe than they were prior to its repeal, but both Democrats and Independents are more opposed to its overturning now than they were previously.

Overall though, that mostly nets out with polling being consistently in support of womens bodily autonomy with a 63:32 split.

Similarly -

The numbers do look slightly better for Republicans and the court when the question comes with language about states setting their own policies. An NBC News poll recently asked about overturning Roe and mentioned that, “Each individual state will now decide whether abortion will be permitted and under what circumstances.” But Americans still opposed it by a 58-38 margin, and a majority — 51 percent — strongly opposed it.
    Even relegating it to the state level sees minimal national support, while still maintaining a majority favoring national protections for women, including a majority strongly opposing leaving girls and womens bodily autonomy up to the states. Because as a reminder -

Part of that could be because the decision has rallied support for abortion rights; there is some evidence for that. And again, the Fox poll is instructive: It shows 57 percent of Americans say abortion should be legal either all or most of the time — the highest that number has been in recent years. (It hadn’t crested 52 percent this year.)
    Americans largely support girls and womens bodily autonomy in general. It's not a plurality. None of these are pluralities, which is usually the best Republicans can hope for. These are outright majorities.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    Arbitrary distinction, based on nonsense and lies. A baby is a baby all the way through pregnancy.

You lost, buddy. Abortion is going to be illegal and/or highly restrictive, as it should be, in most of the country.
    HAHAHAHA

Most states have already passed laws that make it about as legal as it was before.

The ones that are making it highly restrictive are seeing enormous backlash from voters, as the electorate swings left and Republicans are starting to walk back restrictive abortion laws as they fear for their seats.

States that tried to make it outright illegal faced enormous backlash, and walked it back to restrictive because Republicans care more about being elected than they care about the anti-freedom stances on abortion.

You heard that right. All along abortion is simply a political issue to Republicans. They don't give two shits about the lives of children, and neither do you.

"You lost" is just delusional in this case, considering that the great majority of Americans still have access to abortion. It's unfortunate that some have to jump through hoops like going across state lines to get one, but it's still happening, and very little has changed.

This notion that abortion will be illegal or restricted in "most of the country" is delusional.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    This notion that abortion will be illegal or restricted in "most of the country" is delusional.
    I mean their peception of the country has always been surface area instead of population so who knows.

This speaks for itself.

West Virginia Governor Casually Admits He Doesn't Understand Abortion Ban He Just Signed

Abortion is finally banned in West Virginia, after Gov. Jim Justice (R) announced Friday during a covid press conference that he had quietly signed a total ban on the procedure. If only Justice actually understood the contents of the bill!

“I think the criminal penalties, the whole bill goes into effect, I think, is 90 days. Is that correct?” Justice asked someone off screen. After an aide corrected him, Justice told the press conference: “The bill is effective immediately. The criminal penalties are effective 90 days from today.”

It is absolutely wild that governors are not required to read the pieces of legislation they’re signing. “There’s reason and there’s logic behind it. I absolutely signed it. I’m proud of it,” Justice told the press conference.

Graham says he’s ‘confident’ Americans would support national abortion ban

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) on Sunday expressed confidence that the public would support his 15-week federal abortion ban proposal but acknowledged it does not have the votes to pass the Senate.

I’m pro-life, even in an election year,” Graham told “Fox News Sunday” anchor Shannon Bream.

“I am confident the American people would accept a national ban on abortion at 15 weeks,” Graham said. “And to those who suggest that being pro-life is losing politics, I reject that.”

-------------
    He just gets more stupid every year month.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Graham says he’s ‘confident’ Americans would support national abortion ban

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) on Sunday expressed confidence that the public would support his 15-week federal abortion ban proposal but acknowledged it does not have the votes to pass the Senate.

I’m pro-life, even in an election year,” Graham told “Fox News Sunday” anchor Shannon Bream.

“I am confident the American people would accept a national ban on abortion at 15 weeks,” Graham said. “And to those who suggest that being pro-life is losing politics, I reject that.”

-------------
    He just gets more stupid every year month.
    Man egg on my face for ever thinking this man was 'One of the smart ones'. Or at least one of the less stupid ones.

Like this flies in the face of polling done everywhere to a point where it'd be like going on stage to declare 'Well I think most americans -want- more rat shit in their cereal' and voting accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Like this flies in the face of polling done everywhere to a point where it'd be like going on stage to declare 'Well I think most americans -want- more rat shit in their cereal' and voting accordingly.
    bro...if they said that "the burdensome regulations to keep rat shit out of our cereal is further evidence of destructive Communist encroachment on our freedoms and businesses" you know as well as I that they'd go for it.

If the "party of freedom and individual liberty" can sell the state dictating what women are allowed to do with their bodies (and every other restriction of freedom and liberty that comes as a core pillar of their political platform) to their braindead base...they can sell anything.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2022-09-18 at 09:11 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    bro...if they said that "the burdensome regulations to keep rat shit out of our cereal is further evidence of destructive Communist encroachment on our freedoms and businesses" you know as well as I that they'd go for it.

If the "party of freedom and individual liberty" can sell the state dictating what women are allowed to do with their bodies (and every other restriction of freedom and liberty that comes as a core pillar of their political platform) to their braindead base...they can sell anything.
    But their base hardly matters in the grand scheme of it. There just -aren't- enough lunatic voters to carry republicans without at least making a token effort to appeal to the center, so going this hard on something so universally unpopular just seems incredibly short sighted or absolutely delusional.

On another note; Midwestern newspaper buries Justice John Roberts for whining about trust in the court collapsing

Last week, Chief Justice John Roberts lamented that there's "no basis" for those who are complaining about the legitimacy of Supreme Court justices. Americans have taken issue with the Supreme Court after Republicans spent nearly a year blocking the appointment of a justice after the death of the late Justice Antonin Scalia died suddenly. It led to Trump being able to appoint three judges in a 4 year term and taking the court from being moderate to swinging to the far right.

Since then, the rulings have infuriated the majority of Americans who don't support the level of extremism coming from the court. It prompted the midwestern newspaper, the St. Louis Post Dispatch to issue an editorial calling out Roberts for being clueless that he's part of the problem.

"Though blessed with lifetime appointments that supposedly insulate justices from the muck of partisanship, the court’s majority has nonetheless hewed to the Republican political agenda as diligently as any freshman legislator on issues like gun restrictions, the environment and, most of all, abortion rights," the editorial said.

At the same time, there are questions about Justice Brett Kavanaugh's finances, lack of a full FBI background check and possible corruption over his appointment. Kavanaugh isn't alone, Justice Clarence Thomas is now facing complaints over his ethics for his wife's participation in the attempt to overthrow the 2020 election.

The Dobbs decision, which unmade a national right to medical privacy for women, didn't have to go that far, as Roberts himself pointed out.

"Yet the court’s five hard-core conservatives eagerly reached around that case to bigfoot into the broader culture-war fight over abortion," said the column. The liberal justices correctly noted that the only reason the right judges eliminated Roe protections was that they've always hated them.

"To revamp standing law for no reason except that one side suddenly has the votes is how legislatures operate," the editorial said. "It’s not how judges should. Judges are, or are supposed to be, bound by precedent until there is a compelling legal reason to break from it. Yet in this case, the only reason they did it was that they could."

They went on to say that they don't buy Roberts' "confusion" about why people hate the court. He made it clear that he is just as annoyed with the "Dobbs concurrence."

"Which begs the question of why he is lecturing America now about its lack of trust in the court instead of working to remind his fellow conservative justices that they are indeed justices, and not Republican members of Congress," the editorial closes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    But their base hardly matters in the grand scheme of it. There just -aren't- enough lunatic voters to carry republicans without at least making a token effort to appeal to the center, so going this hard on something so universally unpopular just seems incredibly short sighted or absolutely delusional.
    /shrug

They do exactly this with environmental regulations, and it doesn't seem to hurt them. They could probably gut the FDA as well, and the """centrists""" wouldn't care. It remains to be seen if they care about the bodily autonomy of half the country being removed, come the midterms.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...-rights-issue/

This is not a states’ rights issue. This is a human right issue,” Graham said. “So, no matter what California or Maryland will do … I am going to advocate a national minimum standard.”
    In which Lindsey Graham contradicts decades of Republican messaging on "states rights" and gives up the game that yes, Republicans do want a national ban.

Because as a reminder, "states rights" was always a red herring.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...-rights-issue/

In which Lindsey Graham contradicts decades of Republican messaging on "states rights" and gives up the game that yes, Republicans do want a national ban.

Because as a reminder, "states rights" was always a red herring.
    I mean, who didn't see that coming from these lying cunts?

https://www.kansas.com/news/politics...266267436.html

Republican attorney general candidate Kris Kobach has unveiled a new strategy for removing abortion rights from the state constitution a month after Kansas voters affirmed those rights by a wide margin.

“This issue is not over,” Kobach said Friday at a Wichita Pachyderm Club campaign appearance. “The fight for life is going to continue.”

Kobach, former Kansas Secretary of State, is calling on the GOP-dominated Legislature to put forward another ballot question that would amend the state’s constitution. This time, it would not address abortion rights directly. Instead, it would ask voters whether Kansas Supreme Court justices should be selected by direct election.

The change, Kobach said, would clear a path for the state to “slowly and quietly” place anti-abortion judges on the state’s high court with the ultimate goal of overturning the Kansas Supreme Court’s 2019 Hodes decision that found the state constitution includes the right to an abortion.

Kobach said the Hodes decision threw “a huge wrench into the works” of the anti-abortion movement in Kansas.

“Now, there are two ways to deal with that,” Kobach said. “There are two paths. One is to come in with a state constitutional amendment that corrects the decision. That’s what we just tried to do, and it didn’t work out. But there’s another path.”
    Yet another reminder that Republicans are sore losers and can't tolerate that their policy positions are unpopular, so they are happy to cheat and mislead in order to achieve their goals.

Kobach, as a reminder, is the same guy who wasted millions of dollars of local taxpayer money crafting anti-immigration ordinances for cities that were unenforceable and often times illegal. Also the guy who was ordered by a judge to take remedial law courses because he apparently forgot how to do his job and how to behave in a courtroom setting.

Republicans aren't sending their best or their brightest. And at this point I'm convinced that they're not good people, either.

So, we all know that they elect cowards in Texas. AG Paxton literally ran away when confronted with a subpoena following a lawsuit filed by abortion rights group.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/te...3c6ce#comments

Texas Attorney General ran away when served with court papers over abortion rights lawsuit, affidavit says

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton fled his home when faced with a subpoena following a lawsuit by abortion rights groups, according to an affidavit by the man trying to serve it.

According to the affidavit, first obtained by the Texas Tribune, Paxton escaped in a truck driven by his wife, Texas state Sen. Angela Paxton after the process server, Ernesto Martin Herrera, arrived at his home.

The subpoena required Paxton to give evidence Tuesday in a lawsuit filed by several abortion rights groups, who are seeking protections against legal threats made against them for helping women travel to other states to get abortions.

Texas has enacted tough new restrictions on abortion following the Supreme Court's decision to overturn the Roe v. Wade ruling earlier this year.

In his affidavit, Herrera said he parked outside Paxton's address on Monday and saw a man he recognized as Paxton. He approached the front door and saw him turn around and walk away when he saw Herrera.

The door was answered by Sen. Paxton, who said her husband was on the phone and in a "hurry to leave."

Herrera said he had already spotted Paxton inside the house, so he went and waited for an hour.

He then saw Paxton emerging from a garage, but when Herrera called out Paxton's name, he "RAN back inside the house," Herrera said in the affidavit.

Shortly after, Sen. Paxton emerged from the property, got into a black truck parked in front of the house, and opened the passenger side back door, at which point "Mr. Paxton ran from the door inside the garage towards the rear door behind the driver side," said Herrera.

The process server added: "I approached the truck, and loudly called him by his name and stated that I had court documents for him. Mr. Paxton ignored me and kept heading for the truck."

Herrera said he left the subpoena documents by the truck, but the Paxtons sped away "leaving the documents on the ground."

Responding on Twitter to media reports about the incident, Paxton, who is is up for re-election in November's mid-terms, said he fled because he feared for his family over a "stranger lingering outside my home."

He said: "The media wants to drum up another controversy involving my work as Attorney General, so they're attacking me for having the audacity to avoid a stranger lingering outside my home and showing concern about the safety and well-being of my family."
    Man, I didn't know process servers were a bunch of scary people. Wouldn't you just call the police if you had someone hang around your house and didn't know who they were? I also thought that process servers, once confronted, usually announce themselves as such.